'18 RI G - David Duke (PC)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '18 RI G - David Duke (Offer)

Unread post by STC »

Future is bright for both URI and PC moving forward.

I know nobody wants to hear it but a core of Makai Ashton-Langford (38th ESPN Top 100 '17), AJ Reeves (53rd ESPN Top 100 '18) and David Duke (54th ESPN Top 100 '18) is pretty damn good.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

reef wrote:Never doubt ECR sources

Goes to show what happens when I trust a PC fan

GO RHODY
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

STC wrote:Future is bright for both URI and PC moving forward.

I know nobody wants to hear it but a core of Makai Ashton-Langford (38th ESPN Top 100 '17), AJ Reeves (53rd ESPN Top 100 '18) and David Duke (54th ESPN Top 100 '18) is pretty damn good.
It is pretty good. And I still question the character of anyone that goes to Providence, whether for sports or not. As far as I'm concerned, all these guys have character red flags. Hope it doesn't work out for them.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: '18 RI G - David Duke (PC Commit)

Unread post by adam914 »

Sucks that he'll never get to feel what it's like to go to a real college to. It's arguably the best (or at least most fun) four years of your life, so having to spend it at PC is a real shame.
4 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PC currently 8th and Rhody currently 16th.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Baske ... amRankings
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Providence native Cooley gets Providence native Duke good for them. This rivalry will take a few steps up these next 5 years. I think we will have a couple of ranked matchups too
2 x
tooc
Jim Eitner

Unread post by tooc »

Rhody83 wrote:PC currently 8th and Rhody currently 16th.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Baske ... amRankings
This is an exciting time for the state. I hope both coaches stay put for at least the next few years.
4 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Interesting after reading the PC boards take on the Duke commitment, there is more URI discussion then Duke conversation lol. To say URI is in their heads is an understatement.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

URI vs PC is always better when both teams are good. This rivalry will be great for the next 4 years.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Diallo clearly got recruited over this cycle for them, wonder if he see's the writing in the wall with the three mass Rivals players.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

IMO it’s more Maliek white who got recruited over
He’ll prob be a transfer candidate if he doesn’t have a huge soph year
2 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

bigappleram wrote:IMO it’s more Maliek white who got recruited over
He’ll prob be a transfer candidate if he doesn’t have a huge soph year
I don't know apple I don't see it as any different then having Dowtin and Russell and recruiting Adams. Competition is a good thing. I also think it is a good thing to have three capable ball handlers which both teams now will have.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I don't know about the rest of you guys on this board but based on the videos I have seen on our 2 guard recruits yours truly is very happy. We will be very solid the next 4 years with the guys now on board.
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

CT Rhody wrote:Diallo clearly got recruited over this cycle for them, wonder if he see's the writing in the wall with the three mass Rivals players.
Diablo is a 2/3 and Duke is a Point/ 2 not sure it has that big of a impact on him. But competition is a good thing.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

woodennickel1 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:Diallo clearly got recruited over this cycle for them, wonder if he see's the writing in the wall with the three mass Rivals players.
Diablo is a 2/3 and Duke is a Point/ 2 not sure it has that big of a impact on him. But competition is a good thing.
Referring more to Reeves than Duke.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

CT Rhody wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
Referring more to Reeves than Duke.
Think they are counting on Reeves to be the replacement for Jalen Linsey. Diallo will still get plenty of minutes i believe.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '18 RI G - David Duke (PC)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jon Rothstein getting slammed on Twitter for being so cluless with comment “David Duke. Remember the name.”
PC won 113-46. Good competition :)
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Its a funny coincidence but in the end its his name and jons right, kids gonna be good. People need to relax.
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I can tell you in all seriousness that I do not like this kid for going by David Duke. Sure, he didn’t name himself (and his parents are either clueless morons or bad people), but if I was named after someone like that I’m 200% positive I’d be using some variation or just going by my middle name. Like, he can’t call himself “Dave”?
3 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Duke is named after his father.
Don't think it makes them morons or bad people for naming their son after his father.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I do if his father is named David Duke.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Duke is named after his father.
Don't think it makes them morons or bad people for naming their son after his father.
Yeah, I agree whats so bad or moronic for naming your black child after a man who is a self admitted white supremacist, antisemitic conspiracy theorist, Holocaust denier, convicted felon, and former Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan. Seems logical to me.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

He may have been born in Liberia ......I know his parents were.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

There's no way his parents knew who David Duke was.

So stupid.

The other David Duke is irrelevant and always has been irrelevant.

He will at least make everyone at PC love the name.

Can't say I'll love the name this December and beyond....
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Let's forget the name issue and look at the rankings of the ESPN top 100. MAL ranked at 37, Reeves at 53 and Duke at 54: based on MAL's performance last season I must seriously question all of ESPN's rankngs higher the the top 15-20. In any event it is like I am from Missouri the "Show Me State" so I am quite happy with Jeff Dowtin and Fatts starting in our backcourt for the next two years. I don't know and don't care what their rankings were since I am impressed with what I have seen on the court!
1 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

eli#10 wrote:Let's forget the name issue and look at the rankings of the ESPN top 100. MAL ranked at 37, Reeves at 53 and Duke at 54: based on MAL's performance last season I must seriously question all of ESPN's rankngs higher the the top 15-20. In any event it is like I am from Missouri the "Show Me State" so I am quite happy with Jeff Dowtin and Fatts starting in our backcourt for the next two years. I don't know and don't care what their rankings were since I am impressed with what I have seen on the court!
You really should question their rankings. Once ESPN canned most of their college basketball staff, the time and energy put into recruiting has taken a hit. Half of their top-100 players don't even have player scouting reports, they only list a fraction of the offers for those kids. Take Naheem McLeod for example - ESPN has him ranked 77 whereas Rivals doesn't have him in their top 150 and 247 has him ranked 127.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhodyKyle wrote:
eli#10 wrote:Let's forget the name issue and look at the rankings of the ESPN top 100. MAL ranked at 37, Reeves at 53 and Duke at 54: based on MAL's performance last season I must seriously question all of ESPN's rankngs higher the the top 15-20. In any event it is like I am from Missouri the "Show Me State" so I am quite happy with Jeff Dowtin and Fatts starting in our backcourt for the next two years. I don't know and don't care what their rankings were since I am impressed with what I have seen on the court!
You really should question their rankings. Once ESPN canned most of their college basketball staff, the time and energy put into recruiting has taken a hit. Half of their top-100 players don't even have player scouting reports, they only list a fraction of the offers for those kids. Take Naheem McLeod for example - ESPN has him ranked 77 whereas Rivals doesn't have him in their top 150 and 247 has him ranked 127.
I agree ESPN rankings suck. However, regarding MAL, Duke, Reeves, Dowtin & Fatts the other rating services have them slotted similarly. I use the Composite 247 because it factors in all the major rating services. Below are the ratings for the key players in PC’s and URI’s last three classes:

Diallo 117
White 127
Young 398

MAL 41
Watson 100
Dickens 143

Duke 47
Reeves 48

Dowtin 273
Cyril 326

Fatts 198

Harris 82
Tate 215
Martin 220

This shows you that rankings are off. Based on college performance rate the 2016 & 17 classes combined.
Here are my ratings.
Diallo
Dowtin
Fatts
Watson
Cyril
MAL
Young
White

I have MAL 6th and White 8th the 247 rankings had them 1st and 4th with MAL being the only Top 50 player. I have Dowtin 2nd the 247 rankings had him 6th (last amoung the non-big men).
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rankings are based on who they think will be the best college player over four years, not one season.
There are some players who have translateable skills -- A player who can shoot will always be able to shoot, for example.
They might put up solid numbers year 1, but their upside potential might be limited because of other skills that are harder to change (height, wingspan, body type, athleticism, etc.).
Some guys need a year or two to develop those additional skills and be able to pair them with their height, wingspan, athleticism, etc.
Other guys never develop -- It's the risk of taking a prospect based on their ceiling.
Even then, a Top 50 prospect who never develops likely has enough tools to still be a solid rotation player.
That's much different than recruit #300 who never develops who likely should be playing low-D1.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Outside of the Top 20-25 kids rankings are based on very small sample sizes, with “scouts” of varying competencies making these judgments for the various services. There is so much margin of error it’s not funny. That’s why most coaches throw them out the window and make their own Top 150. Dan spoke about his staff doing that, and it’s the same across most staffs.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I've said this before. I think Reeves will be a much better player than Duke at PC.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:Outside of the Top 20-25 kids rankings are based on very small sample sizes, with “scouts” of varying competencies making these judgments for the various services. There is so much margin of error it’s not funny. That’s why most coaches throw them out the window and make their own Top 150. Dan spoke about his staff doing that, and it’s the same across most staffs.
Honestly, that's why I use the 24/7 rankings, because at least you can get a "consensus" average versus 1 resource over the other. The only problem with that is that not everyone updates their rankings at the same time. But if 10 sources rate players and 10 say a player is not a Top 100 player, than that player is likely not a Top 100 player, at least heading into college where obviously development can change that.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I used 247 as well. I do think its fair to judge a player after two full years. I think we have a pretty good guage on Diallo, Dowtin, Langevine, Young and White.

Let’s see how Fatts and MAL do this year. MAL has the potential to have a breakout year. His outside shot and FT shooting could hurt him. I think Watson has already proved himself.

The point of my post was to show someone like Dowtin ranked 273 and he had a significant impact on a Tournament team his Fr & Soph years. Could be first team A10 as a Jr. He is and will be after 4 years better than White who was rated 150 positions ahead of him.

I do think who the player has offers from can be a better indication but can still be way off. Dowtin’s best offers - Rhody & Rutgers. Fatts’ best offers - Seton Hall, Rhody, LaSalle & ECU. They had Fatts as 37th PG. He made all 2nd team at the Peach Jam.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The thing that hurt Fatts is his size. He's shown the ability to produce, and he's quick as hell and feisty on defense. Teams want those skills but in a guy 6-8 inches taller. If Fatts was 6'3/6'4, he's probably a Top 50 recruit given his accolades. He's never going to get taller. On the other side you have someone like MAL. He's 6'3, but doesn't have the production of Fatts. But, those are things he may be able to change. That's why he was a Top 40 recruit, the forecast of what he can be if he develops the skills necessary to be there. That's the real reality of why recruiting is an imperfect science -- to some extent you are relying on the coaches ability to develop that talent and the players ability to accept the coaching and work hard to develop those skills.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Sometimes the player works hard but just doesn’t have the skills to meet the “projection”. Teams have to be careful regarding how many players they take that need to develop to meet their expectations. There are plenty that don’t achieve the projected development level. I would think there is less risk on a Top 50 player and the amount of development needed to reach their rating.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That's amazing JD 273 and Cyril 326 good job by our staff to discover those guys and make our own rankings
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I thought this was a joke when I heard he declared for the NBA. He's not even close to being good enough. Sad to see these kids getting their heads filled with nonsense. He's not even close to having a skill set of NBA guys like Ryan Gomes & Chris Dunn who were better while at PC than this guy.
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I wonder how that conversation went down with Coach Cooley. Does Cooley say are you sure?

My guess is David made the decision without Cooley’s input.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

The Dude wrote: 3 years ago I thought this was a joke when I heard he declared for the NBA. He's not even close to being good enough. Sad to see these kids getting their heads filled with nonsense. He's not even close to having a skill set of NBA guys like Ryan Gomes & Chris Dunn who were better while at PC than this guy.
I always take it more as "done with college" than anything else. He can make money playing pro basketball somewhere, and if he can't get drafted this year as a 21/22 year old, he's not going to get drafted next year at 22/23.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

His stock definitely took a hit this year may have been wiser to come out last year ??
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

For a lot of these guys, going to school is just a front to play ball.

Academics aren't exactly a priority.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago For a lot of these guys, going to school is just a front to play ball.

Academics aren't exactly a priority.
It's not really a priority for most coaches and schools involved in collegiate athletics either, so let's not pretend it's a one-way street.
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Speaking of academics there was an article in the New York Post a few days ago about transfers. It cited a player from St Bonaventure (I cannot remember the name) who had transferred to Hofstra. The player was at Bonaventure for one year and had lost 1/2 of his credits upon enrolling at Hofstra. This certainly begs the question as to what courses the player had taken at Bonaventure. The concern cited was whether the player would have enough time to graduate as he had already sat out a year at Hofstra. I think a bigger concern is to see what courses were taken that were not accepted by Hofstra. What is going on with the Bonnies and their eligibility requirements?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Welding certificate no good at Hofstra?
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think a good move that has been popular is to transfer to a better situation and have a good year. Then you show your potential and make an excuse for the bad.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I don't believe the Bonnies are accredited. Thus the loss of credits upon transfer.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote: 3 years ago Welding certificate no good at Hofstra?
Ha, that is a deep pull at this point, but I hope others got it. :D (And if you're a newcomer, go here.)
4 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 3 years ago Welding certificate no good at Hofstra?
Ha, that is a deep pull at this point, but I hope others got it. :D (And if you're a newcomer, go here.)
I love the bold portion of this excerpt from the story Steve shared. I wonder how well it would work at home or at work, 😂.
David Ferguson, a school spokesman, said yesterday the decision was based on [President] Wickenheiser's desire to help a promising young man as well as a "difference in interpretation of the relative importance of certain sections of the guidelines."
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Speaking of academics there was an article in the New York Post a few days ago about transfers. It cited a player from St Bonaventure (I cannot remember the name) who had transferred to Hofstra. The player was at Bonaventure for one year and had lost 1/2 of his credits upon enrolling at Hofstra. This certainly begs the question as to what courses the player had taken at Bonaventure. The concern cited was whether the player would have enough time to graduate as he had already sat out a year at Hofstra. I think a bigger concern is to see what courses were taken that were not accepted by Hofstra. What is going on with the Bonnies and their eligibility requirements?
It was Tareq Coburn and it was pretty recent being long after the 2003 welding certificate scandal. He left St Bonaventure after his freshman year (2016-17) and transferred to Hofstra. According to the NY Post:

When Coburn transferred, he lost half of his credits

https://nypost.com/2021/04/03/college-b ... er-portal/
1 x