'18 RI G - David Duke (PC)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Re: '18 RI G - David Duke (Offer)

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

Rhody74 wrote:I hate PC, too, but you to be blind and stupid not to see that Cooley has done a good job for them, recruiting guys they routinely missed under previous coaches.
THIS. This is my exact point. Yes, URI doesn't like PC. But at times, we can take off the Keaney Blue blinders and recognize that they do have a great coach and a good program up in Providence. So saying that they haven't placed themselves in position to be a good team for the next 4-6 years is dumb. Cooley has gotten recruits every year so ignoring that is just dumb. The good thing now is DH is landing some damn good recruits too. Makes our rivalry that much better that both programs are Top-25 caliber programs and NCAA tournament teams.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody1992 wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:I hate PC, too, but you to be blind and stupid not to see that Cooley has done a good job for them, recruiting guys they routinely missed under previous coaches.
THIS. This is my exact point. Yes, URI doesn't like PC. But at times, we can take off the Keaney Blue blinders and recognize that they do have a great coach and a good program up in Providence. So saying that they haven't placed themselves in position to be a good team for the next 4-6 years is dumb. Cooley has gotten recruits every year so ignoring that is just dumb. The good thing now is DH is landing some damn good recruits too. Makes our rivalry that much better that both programs are Top-25 caliber programs and NCAA tournament teams.
Make up your mind. Are you a URI fan or a PC fan?
1 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody1992 wrote:
I'm a fan of Rhode Island hoops in general. On one day out of the year I take PC over URI. However I don't wish bad things onto URI. I want both teams to do well.. outside of the 1 game they play each other. I'm pretty sure we can all agree, the buzz surrounding these programs is great and the quality of play is WAY better when both programs are at this high level as they are right now.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody1992 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody1992 wrote:
I'm a fan of Rhode Island hoops in general. On one day out of the year I take PC over URI. However I don't wish bad things onto URI. I want both teams to do well.. outside of the 1 game they play each other. I'm pretty sure we can all agree, the buzz surrounding these programs is great and the quality of play is WAY better when both programs are at this high level as they are right now.
Ok, that's fine. Not too many are a fan of both teams, especially the ones who go way back like I do. I'm sure you're aware that a great majority of PC fans feel the same way we feel about them. That's what's so great about the rivalry.....hatred!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

PC losing to this kid is similar to URI losing out on the Murphy brothers. Kid literally grew up down the street.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody1992 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: Make up your mind. Are you a URI fan or a PC fan?
Ok, that's fine. Not too many are a fan of both teams, especially the ones who go way back like I do. I'm sure you're aware that a great majority of PC fans feel the same way we feel about them. That's what's so great about the rivalry.....hatred!
I agree. Listen, I hate URI on the day PC plays them. I was raised a Friar fan, love the Friars. However I also grew up going to URI basketball camps, games, etc. I have a small place for URI in my heart too. I don't want to see URI go 10-20, that's not fun. I like the 20+ win seasons from URI and PC because it makes the rivalry better. I want both programs to be successful. The Friar in me loves beating up on URI, however beating up on a 10-20 URI team isn't as good as a NCAA tourney URI team. And I'm sure you'd say the same about beating PC lol but anyways, this got off-topic. So I'm done haha. But I hope Duke chooses PC and I hope Harris chooses URI. Added buzz going into the season for both teams.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I hope PC goes 0-30 every single year until the end of time and I hope one of those 30 losses every year is us beating them by 1000.
8 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You cannot be an avid fan of either school, and then say you also are a fan of the other in all the games they dont play. You are trolling give it a rest. You can be a casual hoops fan in RI and say you like both schools, but you cant possibly straddle the fence if you are die-hard about either. Sorry its like saying you like the yankees and red sox...or duke and unc....not possible

I respect what Cooley is doing, he is building a strong program, they have a good team and will be good for a while...but i will never root for them.
Last edited by bigappleram 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I grew up in PC land, luckily my family are all Rams, so I grew up a ram fan. That said, I have a number of friends who are PC fans, some show respect for URI while others hope URIs season burns in flames. So the feelings are mutual.
3 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:I hope PC goes 0-30 every single year until the end of time and I hope one of those 30 losses every year is us beating them by 1000.
Exactly. I don't care about RPI or any of that shit. I just want them to lose, lose, lose.
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhody1992 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody1992 wrote:
so you're a bandwagon jumping fraud....got it.

let me guess, you used to be a Cowboys fan but became a Patriots fan recently too?
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I'll hate PC more than any other sports team in America until the day I die, but I'd be stupid and ignorant to not recognize the job Cooley has done / looks like he will continue to do in the future...

That's all I'm saying.

I'm sure some PC fans would say the same thing about Dan and our team.
1 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

For sure, and even if you hate them you can recognize the excellent job he has done. You just can't possibly root for them if you are Keaney Blue.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:I'll hate PC more than any other sports team in America until the day I die, but I'd be stupid and ignorant to not recognize the job Cooley has done / looks like he will continue to do in the future...

That's all I'm saying.

I'm sure some PC fans would say the same thing about Dan and our team.
"Some" say that about Dan. Most hate his guts.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Why is this kid even relevant anymore, let’s move on.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody1992 wrote:
So,when I started this debate I took exception to the 4-6 years and asked for Rhody15’s definition of “very, very good team”

We have no idea how PC or URI will be in 5 and 6 years. None of the players on those teams have played 1 game of college bball. Most haven’t even been identified. We also don’t know if Cooley or Dan will be coaching the teams.

As far as very, very good my definition would be a Sweet 16 team. PC hasn’t even won a regular NCAA Tournament game. They won a play in game once.

For Rhody1992, can you expain your name on this Board. Did you graduate from URI?
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody83 wrote:As far as very, very good my definition would be a Sweet 16 team. PC hasn’t even won a regular NCAA Tournament game. They won a play in game once.
Didn't PC beat USC as a 9-seed to move on and lose to UNC during the 2016 tournament?
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Very good team, as in win 1-2 games in the tourney consistently.

If we gad gotten all these highly ranked recruits as they have we'd all be jumpIng for joy.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody1992 wrote:
ramster wrote:I don’t think PC's campus environment will compare to Virginia Tech. Maybe he picks PC but over the ACC? All amounts to whether he wants to stay home on Providdnce or venture out. My guess is he ventures out.
Wabissa Bede, PG, toured Duke around last weekend. Bede is an incoming freshman at VaTech and played at the same school as Duke - Cushing Academy. They could form a heck of a back court at VaTech for several years.
No doubt VT has a sick atmosphere but that college football atmosphere does not translate to their basketball program. Basketball plays second to football. VT and Buzz Williams does have a great program though. While you mention Bede, you forget to mention PC has Makai Ashton-Langford as a freshman this year and AJ Reeves committed, both of whom play on the same AAU team as Duke.
I don't think Duke takes the official at PC to tell Cooley he's choosing VT. I say PC but obviously there is some doubt. 70/30 lean to the Friars on Duke.
Rhody1992,
I'm Bringing this back to the Recruiting Subject of David Duke :roll: :roll:
You are right about Ashton-Langford and AJ Reeves, for sure they are a pull towards Duke to PC. Also consider Cooley has been recruiting Duke, a local Providence kid, for a long, long time. I'm a bit surprised you think PC is only a 70% chance to land him. I might be 80% to 90%. PC should land him being local and the length of time they have recruited him and fact they have 2 of his teammates.

But if you think the Football game and the Virginia Tech Environment does not make much difference consider the 247 Predictors. PC has been the choice by 100% all year. After last weekend 6 of 8 are now with Virginia Tech. Only 2 stayed with PC and one of those guys picked PC way back on February 6th, probably forgot he did.

Good luck getting your guy.
David Duke 247.png
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The rivalry will be incredible these next 5 years if both coaches stay we got our Fab 5 coming in and they are in fine hands with Cooley
0 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

To answer questions,

1) Yes I am a graduate of URI. So that's another reason why I root for Rhody however the Friar in me has been alive since pretty much birth. I caught a lot of shit during my 4 years at URI for being a Friar fan and I accept that but I do believe I also have the right as a URI to pull for URI outside of that 1 game per year they play PC. Also being in separate conferences makes it easier to do so too. People that bring up the the fact that I can't support both and use the Sox-Yanks or Duke-UNC rivalry as comparison fail to remember those teams are in the same division/conference.

2) PC did not win in a play-in game. The other poster got it right, PC beat USC in the 8-9 matchup 2 years ago.

3) I love this rivalry and I'm glad both teams are good NCAA tournament, top-25 caliber teams with great coaches at the helm of each program.

4) Yes those so-called "experts" on 247 have DD going to VT, however in the Jermaine Harris board we mention they have JH going to Xavier. But in that thread we mention how inaccurate they are, so I think we should bring up that exact same thought here. So we can't contradict ourselves. Either we buy into their predictions or we don't. They are inaccurate. I think David Duke chooses Providence and Jermaine Harris chooses URI.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody1992 wrote:To answer questions,

1) Yes I am a graduate of URI. So that's another reason why I root for Rhody however the Friar in me has been alive since pretty much birth. I caught a lot of shit during my 4 years at URI for being a Friar fan and I accept that but I do believe I also have the right as a URI to pull for URI outside of that 1 game per year they play PC. Also being in separate conferences makes it easier to do so too. People that bring up the the fact that I can't support both and use the Sox-Yanks or Duke-UNC rivalry as comparison fail to remember those teams are in the same division/conference.

2) PC did not win in a play-in game. The other poster got it right, PC beat USC in the 8-9 matchup 2 years ago

3) I love this rivalry and I'm glad both teams are good NCAA tournament, top-25 caliber teams with great coaches at the helm of each program.

4) Yes those so-called "experts" on 247 have DD going to VT, however in the Jermaine Harris board we mention they have JH going to Xavier. But in that thread we mention how inaccurate they are, so I think we should bring up that exact same thought here. So we can't contradict ourselves. Either we buy into their predictions or we don't. They are inaccurate. I think David Duke chooses Providence and Jermaine Harris chooses URI.
Rhody1992,
I know you did not bring all this up but to me points 1), 2) and 3) have nothing to do with the David Duke recruiting thread. The PC-URI, Cooley-Hurley stuff does not belong on David Duke's thread or any individual Recruits threads imho.

Point 4 does belong,
All year long PC has been the choice of the 247 prediction people - 100%. Then the VaTech visit occurred with the Clemson-VaTech and ESPN Game Day and there was a huge change as VaTech went to a 75% selection with 6 picking VaTech and 2 still picking PC. One of those 2 picked back in February. Incoming Freshman PG Wabessa Bede from Duke's own Cushing Academy helped tour Duke through the weekend events.

Now you bring up that we mention how inaccurate the 247 Prediction people are in the Jermaine Harris thread. No, not "we". That is true that some posters say that and discount the 247 opinions. I never said they were inaccurate. I never said they were accurate. Simply a source of information to take however one decides to. You should not apply group think to that anymore than you should apply group think to "all fans should root for both PC and URI."
I think it is noteworthy that 247 predictors went from 100% PC to 75% VaTech and 25% PC following the Duke to VaTech Official Visit.
247 Predictors are simply a source for information, not the only source for sure. Just like twitter, twitter followers, individual posters, Projo sportswriters, facebook, instagram,bloggers, etc are not the only sources. We read and come up with our own opinions.

Again, to me PC should get Duke. Cooley has recruited him for years, he is a Providence native. He has AAU teammates on the Friars. But you never know with 18 year olds. He may want to play in the ACC, he may want to venture away from home, he may see the opportunity for more playing time at VaTech in the early years, later years, or both. He may have liked the girls he saw on the VaTech campus, he may like a school of 31,000 students versus a school of 4,500. Could be some of the same reasons you picked URI over PC. Who knows. It's not all about the basketball in these decisions. I personally would opt to move away, see the country, travel more, experience life in a different part of the country. Joe Mazzula did this when he opted for West Virginia. Kimani Lawrence opted for Arizona State. That's the value of Official Visits. Players get to see what life would be like and some chose that life. Duke may go to VaTech, maybe PC - surprises happen all the time in the recruiting world.
0 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

ramster wrote:
Rhody1992 wrote:To answer questions,

2) PC did not win in a play-in game. The other poster got it right, PC beat USC in the 8-9 matchup 2 years ago

Rhody1992,
I know you did not bring all this up but to me points 1), 2) and 3) have nothing to do with the David Duke recruiting thread. The PC-URI, Cooley-Hurley stuff does not belong on David Duke's thread or any individual Recruits threads imho.

Point 4 does belong,
All year long PC has been the choice of the 247 prediction people - 100%. Then the VaTech visit occurred with the Clemson-VaTech and ESPN Game Day and there was a huge change as VaTech went to a 75% selection with 6 picking VaTech and 2 still picking PC. One of those 2 picked back in February. Incoming Freshman PG Wabessa Bede from Duke's own Cushing Academy helped tour Duke through the weekend events.

Now you bring up that we mention how inaccurate the 247 Prediction people are in the Jermaine Harris thread. No, not "we". That is true that some posters say that and discount the 247 opinions. I never said they were inaccurate. I never said they were accurate. Simply a source of information to take however one decides to. You should not apply group think to that anymore than you should apply group think to "all fans should root for both PC and URI."
I think it is noteworthy that 247 predictors went from 100% PC to 75% VaTech and 25% PC following the Duke to VaTech Official Visit.
247 Predictors are simply a source for information, not the only source for sure. Just like twitter, twitter followers, individual posters, Projo sportswriters, facebook, instagram,bloggers, etc are not the only sources. We read and come up with our own opinions.

Again, to me PC should get Duke. Cooley has recruited him for years, he is a Providence native. He has AAU teammates on the Friars. But you never know with 18 year olds. He may want to play in the ACC, he may want to venture away from home, he may see the opportunity for more playing time at VaTech in the early years, later years, or both. He may have liked the girls he saw on the VaTech campus, he may like a school of 31,000 students versus a school of 4,500. Could be some of the same reasons you picked URI over PC. Who knows. It's not all about the basketball in these decisions. I personally would opt to move away, see the country, travel more, experience life in a different part of the country. Joe Mazzula did this when he opted for West Virginia. Kimani Lawrence opted for Arizona State. That's the value of Official Visits. Players get to see what life would be like and some chose that life. Duke may go to VaTech, maybe PC - surprises happen all the time in the recruiting world.
Ramster, I'm with you. I said earlier in this thread to get this back on topic. I was just answering the questions so people don't come at me the way they were. I've said the posts were getting off-topic lol. But yes, as someone who wants to see DD in a Friar uniform, I am worried about VT however I think cancelling the Nova visit and setting one at PC is a huge advantage for PC. I don't think DD takes an offical at PC to tell Ed Cooley he's choosing VT. Just my opinion. I think this weekend is big for Rhode Island college basketball. I think Harris and Adams end up Rams and I wouldn't be surprised if Monday or Tuesday Duke commits to PC.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You are right, cancelling Villanova was huge. This is a huge opportunity for Cooley and PC to convince Duke. In the end it is a great situation for Duke. He narrows to two schools. Has Official 48 hour visits close together to help with comparison purposes. Both schools get to explain their plans for him. He makes his decision. Could go either way. Pros and Cons to both. Put together the spreadsheet and decide, just as Harris and Adams are doing with URI. Whatever happens life goes on and the "left out" School will focus on another player.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

His birthday I believe
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sounds like from the PC board it’s leaked out that Duke will announce for PC now on social media Friday, possibly instead of at Classical HS. They seem convinced it’s PC. A number of 247 predictors have switched from Va Tech to PC today and tonight. Richard Coren pretty positive it’s PC and has been for a while now, but even more positive now.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I'm surprised he wasn't prioritized by more upper escholon power 5 programs. Really it was Florida who was after all the top 50 guards it seemed and Virginia Tech really prioritized him from the sound of it outside of the Big East and other outside power 5 programs.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We are going to have to deal with this guy every year so luckily we got our top notch recruits to match
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Always assumed he would stay home and pick the Friars.
That name tho
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Agreed with CT Rhody, VT isn’t exactly a blue blood either but good get for the dark side.
0 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

my sources telling me duke is currently on PC campus

done :(
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

hope i am wrong !

anyways.. the instate rivalry will keep pushing us

competition is always good...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote:my sources telling me duke is currently on PC campus

Maybe he wants to tell Cooley in person that he's not going there.......nah, I'm about 99% sure it's PC.
0 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

ElmCityRhody wrote:my sources telling me duke is currently on PC campus

Your sources are wrong. He is still at Cushing. Finishing classes for the day first then heading home to Providence.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i stand by my sources

announcement at 6pm
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

guess we'll know tonight..

but i will only take credit if he announces at 6pm-ish

otherwise my source is crap !
0 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

ElmCityRhody wrote:i stand by my sources

announcement at 6pm
You are correct, announcement at 6pm. Some guy on twitter tweeted out that DD was @ PC. Rivals Nation replied saying he was wrong and DD still at Cushing. RC over on the PC board addressed this also, saying he's finishing classes for the day at Cushing. The dude that reported he was at PC then deleted his tweet. It was clearly a false report.

0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ha.. actually this gives me great pleasure reporting this back to my source !!!

a little context... it is me against like 5 ppl in my family on the PC side..

they are giving me back some medicine for all my URI good news...
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Who cares, the guys a Friar.
0 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i hear ya...

i will denounce my "source" !!!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Why is David Duke blessed to be 18 years old today? These kids go a little over the top with the “blessed” comments.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody83 wrote:Why is David Duke blessed to be 18 years old today? These kids go a little over the top with the “blessed” comments.
Probably because lots of 18 year olds from Providence are not as "blessed".
3 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I can't understand how this kid can go by David Duke. I listened to this podcast once about this nice family who kept the "Hitler" name after WWII. They seemed like perfectly sweet people and didn't want their family name to die because of what someone else had done, and I guess I understand that in a way. But man, if my family name was Mussolini I think I would change it.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Never doubt ECR sources
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Rhody83 wrote:Why is David Duke blessed to be 18 years old today? These kids go a little over the top with the “blessed” comments.
Well for one there’s a good % of young men in Providence who have not made it to that age unfortunately. It certainly is a blessing when you think of the senseless shootings that have taken place this past summer
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PC it is.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Best recruitment/commitment video I’ve ever seen
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Poor kid.
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Sounds like a really bright, articulate kid with a good head on his shoulders. Won't like him for the next 4 years but a good get for PC and a solid kid to represent RI basketball.
3 x