'19 NH PF - Akok Akok (UConn)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

'19 NH PF - Akok Akok (UConn)

Unread post by BFC »

Akok Akok - PF
School: Putnam Science (CT)
Travel/AAU:

Ht: 6'8"
Wt:

RANKINGS:
Rivals:

OFFERS:
Rhode Island
DePaul
Iona
Louisville
PC
Rutgers
St. Bonaventure
UMass
Virginia Tech
Washington State

http://www.scout.com/player/216661-akok-akok
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... /akok-akok
http://verbalcommits.com/players/akok-akok
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... eplace-109
http://247sports.com/Player/Akok-Akok-46035535
Last edited by BFC 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: '19 NH PF - Akok Akok (Offer)

Unread post by Ramulous »

Wake me when it's October of 2018....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Can't wait to hear Steve announce "Fatts Russell to Akok Akok for the slam!"
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

There has got to be a joke in here somewhere about URI women liking Fatts Akok...

Ladies loving Fatts Akok could be the new Mbang you til you can't Seawright.
1 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Providence and Louisville offered per his twitter.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Best name since Dick Hole.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

STC wrote:There has got to be a joke in here somewhere about URI women liking Fatts Akok...

Ladies loving Fatts Akok could be the new Mbang you til you can't Seawright.
There must be a William Hung song in there, somewhere.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Any relation to Ben Dover,or Mike Hunt?
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rodfromcranston wrote:Any relation to Ben Dover,or Mike Hunt?
No but I think he's cousins with Anita Ley.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Akok appears to be one of the next men up for the Mass Rivals squad that has produced tons of talent over the years, including Providence incoming freshman Makai Ashton-Langford and 2018 recruiting targets David Duke and AJ Reeves. Previously a member of the 2018 class, Akok re-classified last summer when transferring from Manchester West to Putnam Science Academy. He is running with the 17U Mass Rivals — alongside Duke and Reeves — on the adidas Gauntlet series this year. Through two sessions during April Mass Rivals is 8-0 and Akok is averaging 12.0 points/game, 4.0 blocks/game and is shooting 54.8% from beyond the arc on 42 attempts. Akok also recently attended the prestigious NBPA Top 100 camp and was invited to the adidas Nations, which will take place in California next week.

Akok, who is the nephew of Manute Bol, is still raw but has the physical tools and is developing an inside-out game. He recently told Cardinal Authority that he is “comfortable playing the wing” and said he doesn’t “like to be down there in the post except block a lot of shots on defense.” Akok currently holds offer from Creighton, DePaul, Iona, Louisville, Manhattan, Massachusetts, NC State, Providence, Rhode Island, Rutgers, St. Bonaventure, Virginia Tech and Washington State.

https://pcbb1917.com/2017/06/22/provide ... ed-cooley/
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

He was visiting Providence last night for the meltdown
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Any chance the suspension of the game due to the wet floor turns Akok off of PC ??
0 x
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

From what I have read Akok is a Tom Moore guy so....
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Not sure they’re actually in on him, but-

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... -takeaways

“Whenever Akok is engaged and competing, there is not many more special prospects nationally. He was just that on Wednesday night as head coaches from UConn and Rhode Island, along with assistants from Georgetown, Virginia Tech, Butler, DePaul, Providence, Syracuse and NC State were all on hand. A commitment is likely in the cards for before the turn of the calendar as the best from the northeast remain in strong pursuit.“
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

After talking with the HC of Mass Rivals last week at Gauntlet it appears to me URI has no shot at any of their players. He didn’t have positive things to say. All stemming from URI hiring his competitors in Boswell and Carroll. He “liked Jim Baron”. He called Scott Hazeltine who played for URI his son.

I watched Akok in two games. The first game he was 1-13 FG. The second game he was much better. I think he shot 40% (all from the outside). He doesn’t go down low on offense. He does a good job blocking shots. He likes to shoot the 3. He is 6’9” and very skinny (especially his legs).
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote:After talking with the HC of Mass Rivals last week at Gauntlet it appears to me URI has no shot at any of their players. He didn’t have positive things to say. All stemming from URI hiring his competitors in Boswell and Carroll. He “liked Jim Baron”. He called Scott Hazeltine who played for URI his son.

I watched Akok in two games. The first game he was 1-13 FG. The second game he was much better. I think he shot 40% (all from the outside). He doesn’t go down low on offense. He does a good job blocking shots. He likes to shoot the 3. He is 6’9” and very skinny (especially his legs).
I'd much rather be in with Expressions anyway.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Will be an early test on how Hurley does against tougher competition.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Cox must think we have a shot if he’s spending time on him.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I don't think URI is spending time on him.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cox may have been there early or in between games. Last week Cox was early for K Low game so they watched 2nd half of Mass Rivals. The 3 players Rhody offered on Mass Rivals was when Hurley was HC. Akok, Burton & Leveque. I think Rhody’s interest is in Leveque. Big rebounder with college ready body.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

For college coaches, these events are about 50% being seen by the players you want the most, 30% catching up with your coaching friends, and 20% actually watching players.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

You might be low on the 50
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote:You might be low on the 50
That’s fair. And, of course, it’s all in the context of hoping the guys you really want don’t ball out and attract more attention.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

They have seen their top targets play so many times by now. Agree with the to be seen. A lot of cell phone activity while the game is going on.
Akok had a big game today. Mass Rivals 2-0 in pool play. PC with their Rivals connection is focusing on Akok.
Box score in link.

https://basketball.exposureevents.com/1 ... 183279&r=7
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote:For college coaches, these events are about 50% being seen by the players you want the most, 30% catching up with your coaching friends, and 20% actually watching players.
To Ace’s point. Pic of coaches during a game at Summer Jam yesterday. Phone time.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody83 wrote:
ace wrote:For college coaches, these events are about 50% being seen by the players you want the most, 30% catching up with your coaching friends, and 20% actually watching players.
To Ace’s point. Pic of coaches during a game at Summer Jam yesterday. Phone time.
And people claim this is a millennial issue...

I wonder if the players notice this and would give "extra credit" to a coach that was actually paying attention
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

There are 100s of coaches on sideline chairs and in bleachers. Not sure the players focus on them. After the game the coach can text the player so they know they were there. No face/to-face contact allowed.

Last week Cooley was on baseline between two courts to try to catch two games. All the other coaches were on the sideline. He had his back to Bishop’s game most of the time. Bishop had a break away slam and it almost hit Cooley on the head. I think Cooley made a mistake sticking out like that.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I recognize Mike Bray in one of the photos. Who else is there ???
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote:I recognize Mike Bray in one of the photos. Who else is there ???
Buzz Williams (Va Tech). I see Jon Rothstein doing his reporting. A lot of Ast Coaches. Figure the ratio of Ast Coaches to HC is probably 3 to 1.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody83 wrote:PC with their Rivals connection is focusing on Akok.
PC's main focus is on 3/4 Greg Gantt out of North Carolina. For a while it was on both Akok and Gantt but there was some funny business that happened with Akok early in the AAU season and I think it led many people to think that he was headed to Syracuse. They are still definitely recruiting him trying to play the Rivals angle now that he is back with the program but most assumed his move to PSA was a death blow to his recruitment for PC.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I talked to Vin Pastore (Rivals coach) last week. He loves Cooley.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Akok hasn't played all week in Orlando tournament. He was on the bench in street cloths during the Quarter Finals today. No mention from anyone on Twitter at the event or from MassRivals
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

There is chatter that Akok may be one of the top 5 players in the class after his summer....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramulous wrote:There is chatter that Akok may be one of the top 5 players in the class after his summer....
He will look good in Syracuse Orange :)
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Getting him there might be Buddy’s first assist!
0 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Rhody83 wrote:
Ramulous wrote:There is chatter that Akok may be one of the top 5 players in the class after his summer....
Syracuse isn't a safe assumption anymore. When he switched from Mass Rivals to PSA, everyone was assuming that he'd commit to Cuse. But then he switched back to Mass Rivals after a couple weeks. I bet that the Syracuse/PSA connection rumor didn't make the Mass Rivals coach happy at all. He's probably pushing PC or UConn over Cuse at this point. Maybe Boeheim got a firm enough hold on him, but it doesn't seem like it... PC got a couple picks on 247 recently.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

FattsAndFurious wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Syracuse isn't a safe assumption anymore. When he switched from Mass Rivals to PSA, everyone was assuming that he'd commit to Cuse. But then he switched back to Mass Rivals after a couple weeks. I bet that the Syracuse/PSA connection rumor didn't make the Mass Rivals coach happy at all. He's probably pushing PC or UConn over Cuse at this point. Maybe Boeheim got a firm enough hold on him, but it doesn't seem like it... PC got a couple picks on 247 recently.
I talked to the MassRivals coach at the Adidias tournament in NYC. Very positive things to say about Syracuse.
0 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Rhody83 wrote:
FattsAndFurious wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
I talked to the MassRivals coach at the Adidias tournament in NYC. Very positive things to say about Syracuse.
Oh that's good. Hope them or Maryland land him over the other 2
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Just popped for Hurley at UConn, huge steal over PC Abenante Cooley. I know most probably hate Dan, but he’s proving what he said he could do with the proper resources like big time facilities.
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

NorthernRamFan wrote: 5 years ago Just popped for Hurley at UConn, huge steal over PC Abenante Cooley. I know most probably hate Dan, but he’s proving what he said he could do with the proper resources like big time facilities.
Yup. He is off to a great start at Uconn. Akok is a great get. He wasn’t getting anyone in that level at URI
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: '19 NH PF - Akok Akok (UConn)

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't know, I heard Akok only signed because of Bobby, Preston and Cox.
4 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
NorthernRamFan wrote: 5 years ago Just popped for Hurley at UConn, huge steal over PC Abenante Cooley. I know most probably hate Dan, but he’s proving what he said he could do with the proper resources like big time facilities.
Yup. He is off to a great start at Uconn. Akok is a great get. He wasn’t getting anyone in that level at URI
I've seen Akok play a few times. Jared Terrell was a better player at that stage than Akok is.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

May be true, but his ceiling is likely much higher than Jared's due to his frame and skill set (3 and D)
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

What is the story here? I read in one place that he will pay his own way as a walk on ( sure ....) and another source says he will red shirt. I assume you need to be on scholarship to red shirt. Anyone know the truth?

( I assume Ace will know)
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

You can pay your own way and be a redshirt. Redshirt just means he will not use up any eligibility this year.
0 x