'18 MD PF Jermaine Harris (URI Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: '18 MD PF Jermaine Harris (Offer)

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Their track record isn't the greatest either......
Whose is?

By posting the info does not mean I endorse it or even agree with it.
Xavier beat us out for PF Jones. Seems to be down to URI and Xavier now
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote:They are guessing. Ermann knows MD, lets see what his take is when he switches.
Agree, that will be interesting.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Just followed him on twitter. As an old guy it was easy to do. We should all show this young man some interest on social media. Could make the difference.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Screw those guys, only giving credit to P5 schools.
Any of us here is as qualified as they are in predicting where Harris and Adams will go.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Smokinjimit wrote:Just followed him on twitter. As an old guy it was easy to do. We should all show this young man some interest on social media. Could make the difference.
And lot of us already have. Now, 'like' the tweets involving us and him and retweet them.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I like tweeting at guys about Rhody but I don’t want to pressure them either.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote:
Any of us here is as qualified as they are in predicting where Harris and Adams will go.
Maybe so, but is there anyone on the URI Board NOT predicting he is coming to URI?
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

ramster wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:
Maybe so, but is there anyone on the URI Board NOT predicting he is coming to URI?
I have absolutely zero "sources", but still find it hard to believe we're anything more than 50/50 when up against a great program like Xavier (and possibly others?). I also think Luke Murray knowing it's possibly down to RI and X gives him a unique perspective/point of sale to Jermaine.

Fingers crossed we can land him.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Section104 wrote:
ramster wrote:
Rhody74 wrote: Any of us here is as qualified as they are in predicting where Harris and Adams will go.
I have absolutely zero "sources", but still find it hard to believe we're anything more than 50/50 when up against a great program like Xavier (and possibly others?). I also think Luke Murray knowing it's possibly down to RI and X gives him a unique perspective/point of sale to Jermaine.

I’m sure he is telling him nothing good about Dan and Co. behind closed doors.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

DC_Rams wrote:
Section104 wrote:
ramster wrote:

You might be right. But this is where the relationship-building aspect of recruiting comes into play. If the recruit feels like a he knows a coach, and especially if he feels he has a bond or a relationship with the coach, then another coach playing that game could backfire. It'd be like if you loved your boss but were considering a job change, and when you met with the prospective new company the person recruiting you just shit on your boss the whole time. Not always a winning strategy.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The only fault in that analogy is in Luke's case he doesn't have to shit on Dan...simply could say "he won't be there by time you graduate." Whether true or not he is likely playing that card, I would.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

TruePoint wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
Section104 wrote:

You might be right. But this is where the relationship-building aspect of recruiting comes into play. If the recruit feels like a he knows a coach, and especially if he feels he has a bond or a relationship with the coach, then another coach playing that game could backfire. It'd be like if you loved your boss but were considering a job change, and when you met with the prospective new company the person recruiting you just shit on your boss the whole time. Not always a winning strategy.
Agree and for Dan and staff to get to this point with Jermaine, there certainly has to be a mutual interest/respect for each other. I, as a recruit, would not want to hear other coaches, especially from schools I am considering, bad mouthed by opposing recruiters. Unless Murray has something against Dan, and I wouldn't know, but doubt he does, I doubt he would trash Dan and URI.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:The only fault in that analogy is in Luke's case he doesn't have to shit on Dan...simply could say "he won't be there by time you graduate." Whether true or not he is likely playing that card, I would.
There is plenty that he could say. He could also draw comparisons between URI and Xavier that having nothing to do with Dan, but do try to put URI in a bad light. I was just responding specifically to the idea that he would have nothing good to say about Dan. There is a way to play that that could blow up in your face.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Murray is the only one that has moved on in that scenario. Hes been at 3 schools in what 3-5 years?

Xavier always had our number and really is an impressive program. Beat them for once!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Murray was also at wagner. HE has bought into Dan twice!
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

in the world of sales or recruiting for this matter, you don't sling mud on a competitor, it just looks bad. I don't think Murray is going to do that becasue he doesn't have to.

Xavier is an excellent program, no doubt. This is going to come down to who JH is more comfortable with and where he feels he is a better fit into which system. I'm crossing my fingers on this because if he commits i feel strongly that Brendan Adams will commit as well
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

wpbrown8267 wrote:in the world of sales or recruiting for this matter, you don't sling mud on a competitor, it just looks bad. I don't think Murray is going to do that becasue he doesn't have to.

Xavier is an excellent program, no doubt. This is going to come down to who JH is more comfortable with and where he feels he is a better fit into which system. I'm crossing my fingers on this because if he commits i feel strongly that Brendan Adams will commit as well

I'll always remember the old John Calipari story when he was an assistant at Pitt and was fighting with St Johns for a recruit and supposedly told the recruit that Louie Carnessecca had cancer and why would the recruit want to go there. Don't know if that is true for a fact, but I wouldn't put it pass certain coaches to use that sort of tactic. Not saying Murray would, like it's said worked for Dan twice, just saying in the world or recruiting there is no doubt it can get cut throat.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I don’t think the pitch about Dan not being here when he graduates would sway him if Cox is still here and possibly takes over since more than 50% percent of the roster could be attributed to him.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mike Pegues is the lead recruiter for Xavier on Jermaine Harris (not Luke Murray) while David Cox is the lead recruiter for URI for Harris. Both guys are very strong in DMV.

URI having Jeff Dowtin and Stanford Robinson from Upper Maryland could play well for URI in this battle.

You can say Hurley may not be at URI when Harris graduates the same way you could say Chris Mack may not be at Xavier. It's a wash - non issue.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster, are you under the impression that since Mike Pegues is the lead recruiter on Harris that there is some rule or custom that would prevent Luke Murray from speaking with him? I have no idea whether it has happened or not, but if Xavier wanted to neg-recruit URI, it would definitely be Luke Murray that would do it.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:it would definitely be Luke Murray that would do it.
Why?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TP,
Not at all. The talk of the possibility of negative recruiting on this thread just started today regarding Luke Murray. I am simply saying that Murray is not the lead recruiter, Pegues is. Luke Murray, of course, can say all he wants as can our assistant coaches. As I said, Xavier Coaches can say Hurley may not be here for long, but URI Coaches can say the same exact think about Chris Mack.
I don't think Luke Murray would go down the road of negative recruiting against URI. I think he would take the high road of pushing Playing time, Xavier in the Big East versus the A10, Xavier in-season OOC Tournaments, etc. Unfortunately for us, he has more to sell. Murray is a good guy and a tireless recruiter. He is on the road a lot at AAU games and HS games. No surprise he is successful at Xavier.
But I do hope we win this battle.
Mike Pegues is the guy I am more worried about - he is a very strong recruiter, especially in the DMV, highly regarded. Played College at Delaware.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
TruePoint wrote:it would definitely be Luke Murray that would do it.
Why?
Why from me too. We don't even know that this negative recruiting is happening, do we?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:TP,
Not at all. The talk of the possibility of negative recruiting on this thread just started today regarding Luke Murray. I am simply saying that Murray is not the lead recruiter, Pegues is. Luke Murray, of course, can say all he wants as can our assistant coaches. As I said, Xavier Coaches can say Hurley may not be here for long, but URI Coaches can say the same exact think about Chris Mack.
I don't think Luke Murray would go down the road of negative recruiting against URI. I think he would take the high road of pushing Playing time, Xavier in the Big East versus the A10, Xavier in-season OOC Tournaments, etc. Unfortunately for us, he has more to sell. Murray is a good guy and a tireless recruiter. He is on the road a lot at AAU games and HS games. No surprise he is successful at Xavier.
But I do hope we win this battle.
Mike Pegues is the guy I am more worried about - he is a very strong recruiter, especially in the DMV, highly regarded. Played College at Delaware.
And starred at DeMatha.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I didn't specifically mean "negative" recruiting, but someone that has worked under Hurley before, understands what our University has to offer, and can sell the strengths of the Xavier program that may be a weakness of the RI program is an advantage. There's a reason he left: compensation, conference affiliation and TV contracts, ease of recruiting, fan base, etc...I think Luke Murray can sell that without directly speaking negatively about our program under DH.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

But we have beaches and fresh seafood. He can't pass that up!!!!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

While it may not be negative recruiting, he may be able to poke holes in URI’s pitch to JH, whatever it is. In recruiting battles when it’s down to two teams, im sure the gloves have a little less padding in them during that final push. Negative recruiting is part of the business for schools not named Duke, Kentucky, UNC etc....
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Not every recruiting pitch works for every 18yr old kid. Relationships and trust wins out a lot of the time vs other factors. Have faith guys and let's see where this ends up. He has to worry about constantly being recruited over at Xavier, not so much the case here. That matters significantly to some.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm not saying that negative recruiting is happening. If my whole sentence were quoted and not just a portion of it, I said that if it is happening it would be Murray. And the reason is because he would have the most credibility to dish "dirt" having been here with Dan. It seems likely to me that, because they're up against a program for which one of their assistants previously coached, they would have that coach highlight some of the areas where Xavier compares favorably to URI. That doesn't necessarily have to be super negative about URI or Hurley, and as I said before it isn't risk-free. But all is fair in war and recruiting, and if you don't think a guy would tell a recruit "look, I was there - this is the way this happens there and this is how it is different here" then I don't think you get how competitive these things are. Having said that, the much more important relationship here is with Pegues and Mack and how that compares to the relationship with Cox and Hurley.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm guessing Dan and David visit Jermaine tomorrow when they visit Brendan. We will have the last face to face conversation with him.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Jerry Meyer for 247 just put in his guess for Xavier. Hopefully he has no inside information and is just guessing. We'll find out soon enough I guess.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote:But we have beaches and fresh seafood. He can't pass that up!!!!
Yep, and that's enough to make some people move here...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote:Jerry Meyer for 247 just put in his guess for Xavier. Hopefully he has no inside information and is just guessing. We'll find out soon enough I guess.
Some guy from InsideMDsports picked Xavier today too.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:Jerry Meyer for 247 just put in his guess for Xavier. Hopefully he has no inside information and is just guessing. We'll find out soon enough I guess.
Some guy from InsideMDsports picked Xavier today too.
Not good.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

5 Xavier
1 WVU
247 Predictions.png
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Damn
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I definitely don't know anything about these experts, nor do I have information that they aren't likely to have. But I do wonder whether these predictions are usually more based on inside information or playing the odds and following the herd. Once other experts pick the more well-known program, how likely is an expert without an inside track to pick the other program? My guess is not likely. He very well may pick Xavier, but I remain hopeful. Our guys have a good track record once they're deeply involved with guys because players trust them and they have established a culture that players want to be a part of.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I wouldn't look too much into what these bozos predict
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah when it comes down to it are these experts usually right? Does anyone routinely follow the way they project their picks?
It sure seems to me they just pick Xavier because...they're Xavier and we're Rhode Island.
All I know is, we have a lot of great people here.
I haven't heard other teams talk about how much they love each other like ours have under Dan Hurley.
You can't underestimate Rhody love :)
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jerry Meyer picking XU concerns me. He is typically spot on when he chimes in
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Typically they give the experts a percentage so you know how often they are correct. However, the percentage is likely buoyed by picking the top kids who are very obvious picks.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The fact that JH made the decision to announce this Friday before he even left for XU, in my mind, bodes well for us. Tells me his mind was already leaning in a particular direction but wanted to see if XU could change his mind.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote:The fact that JH made the decision to announce this Friday before he even left for XU, in my mind, bodes well for us. Tells me his mind was already leaning in a particular direction but wanted to see if XU could change his mind.
I agree. I thought the same thing. So, the question is, did Xavier change his mind?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

3 days and just under 5 hours until D Day........but who's counting?
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Furthermore....the more I think about it, before WVU bowed out, the top 2 were URI and WVU, XU wasn’t even mentioned. I feel as though they swooped in late as the dark horse. If you look through XU message boards, the chatter on JH is minimal to non-existent. They just lost out on a local 4* PF recruit to Shaka Smart, so it doesn’t appear JH was their top choice anyway. I believe the pendulum is still weighted in our favor. JH would be the face of URI for 4 years....XU, not so much.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Something else I was thinking about. Noah Locke is announcing today. He's a 4* guard from Maryland. He's the #3 ranked prospect in Maryland (J. Harris is #5, B. Adams is #8). He's also the AAU teammate of B.Adams. Locke's final 5 are Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, Xavier and PC. The favorites are Florida and Michigan. Could his decision affect Harris' decision? Possibly Locke and Harris both go to Xavier? And if Locke does not choose Xavier, possibly Adams and Harris both go to URI? Just throwing it out there. We'll see who Locke chooses today.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I believe XU only has one scholly left. Don’t think Locke’s decision will sway him one way or another.
0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

There has been little talk about plan B's for 2-3 weeks now (no visits or planned visits from anyone PF/C) so I think Dan and Coach Cox would be a little shocked if they didn't pull this off.....still believe......fingers and toes crossed though.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Northern, how are you feeling considering the expert picks?
0 x