'18 MD PF Jermaine Harris (URI Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: '18 MD PF Jermaine Harris (Offer)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If he does do all 5 visits, I don't like our chances....like was said, we need to blow him away during his visit.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This is the type of player that makes a statement on the recruiting trail. Tate was a great get, and now I want to win a recruiting battle with some of the big boys.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Lots of times these kids set up or say they want 5 visits but fitting in 5 officials can be taxing. Many don't take 5 official visits.

Think of how many weekends you have and to ramp up yourself and family for 5 weekends on top of everything else in your life it becomes tedious.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Somebody tweeted this. Harris both liked it and retweet it. What does this mean? Probably nothing.

@_jharris1 with the follow I take it URI is the top of your list can't wait til you visit in September EC will show you a good time
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seems like good news to me
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Great news too. If staff can close a couple of these deals, could be Rams greatest class in history.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Maryland still in the mix but didn't want to use an official on the home state team.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

This would be the big fish we are involved with, the others schools getting visits have a handful of these types of players visiting, we essentially have one. Huge for us to say the least.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Talk about BMOC. This guy is what we need to keep the progression moving. Cmon big man, this is the place for you!!!!
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What's nice to see is we are in these guys' final 5 or so, and we are the only "mid major" in the group.....

Now closing the deal with guys like Williams or Harris is another thing......but it's at least possible.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let's roll out the red carpet for this kid
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:What's nice to see is we are in these guys' final 5 or so, and we are the only "mid major" in the group.....

Now closing the deal with guys like Williams or Harris is another thing......but it's at least possible.
We aren't the only non power 5 team of the group, Xavier is in there as well.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

True, but they are a program that reaches the NCAA tourney almost every year, and advances in it pretty often.

To get to that level would be awesome.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:True, but they are a program that reaches the NCAA tourney almost every year, and advances in it pretty often.

To get to that level would be awesome.
Agreed, but still not in a power 5 conference so they have to recruit with that handicap just like we do. Still wish the A-10 would be more proactive in moving this conference forward to improve its national perception.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Him, with Tate and Langevine would be awesome!!! #RhodeBlock
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Does that mean that Xavier is considered a mid major like us since they are non power 5 ????
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote:Does that mean that Xavier is considered a mid major like us since they are non power 5 ????
There isn't any official rule to who is and who isn't a mid major or high major. Just individuals own personal perception drives that decision. I personally think we are a high major program since we recruit high major kids. We also come from one of eight conferences out of 30 something in the country that get 2+ bids every single year.

Again it's all personal perception that drives this debate.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CT Rhody wrote:
reef wrote:Does that mean that Xavier is considered a mid major like us since they are non power 5 ????
There isn't any official rule to who is and who isn't a mid major or high major. Just individuals own personal perception drives that decision. I personally think we are a high major program since we recruit high major kids. We also come from one of eight conferences out of 30 something in the country that get 2+ bids every single year.

Again it's all personal perception that drives this debate.
Correct. Mid Major or P5 categorization is not even recognized or used as a term by the NCAA

The term "mid-major" was coined in 1977 by Jack Kvancz, head coach of Catholic University's men's basketball team.[2] Such a distinction is not officially acknowledged by the NCAA, nor does the NCAA use the terms "major" and "mid-major" to differentiate between Division I athletic conferences. It is considered offensive and derogatory by some fans and schools.[3][4]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-major
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Can't stand that term either
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea it never sounds good to be included in the same category as south west Texas gulf coast college (made up school) who's never sniffed an NCAA tourney, but you get the point.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NCAA does not use the term. It is not included in any selection process.
You can argue about the term until the cows come home but it makes little sense
Gonzaga, St Mary's the same as Pacific? Portland? In the WCC?
VCU, Dayton the same as Duquesne, Fordham? In the A10?

Doesn't even make sense or hold water even with the same Conference.

Best to just ignore it like the NCAA does
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
Not to get off of Jermaine, but regarding that tweet. Swider is up to 35. Anybody who says he's going to ride the pine at Nova hasn't seen him play. He's the real deal.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Silvio DeSousa, one of the top PF's in the '18 class, is visiting Kansas this weekend. I'm hoping he commits. That might eliminate Kansas from Jermaine's list. Although Maryland is also high on DeSousa's list, so maybe it would be better if he goes there.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That would be nice
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Silvio DeSousa, one of the top PF's in the '18 class, is visiting Kansas this weekend. I'm hoping he commits. That might eliminate Kansas from Jermaine's list. Although Maryland is also high on DeSousa's list, so maybe it would be better if he goes there.
DeSousa committed to Kansas today. I would think that takes Kansas off Jermaine's list, or vice versa.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

nice

let's goooooooooooooooooooooo !
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Silvio DeSousa, one of the top PF's in the '18 class, is visiting Kansas this weekend. I'm hoping he commits. That might eliminate Kansas from Jermaine's list. Although Maryland is also high on DeSousa's list, so maybe it would be better if he goes there.
DeSousa committed to Kansas today. I would think that takes Kansas off Jermaine's list, or vice versa.
DeSousa is a stud. If I were Harris, I would look elsewhere.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

He was scheduled to take an official there on 10/6-8. It will be interesting to see if he still takes it, changes it to another school like Maryland, or only takes 4 officials.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

i would figure Maryland (even though in his backyard) would not be back on his list and he would still keep it to 4 visits since the terps signed Jalen Smith in June

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/R ... l-53318279

anyone have thoughts on that?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Have to hope Harris gets by that West Virginia visit without committing. The pressure coaches and schools put on during official visits are enormous so hopefully he continues to asses his options past the first trip.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Looking at the other schools left, Miami is loaded with highly rated 4/5 types..Deng Gak, Dewen Huell and Rodney Miller. West Virginia has 4* PF frosh Derek Culver. The 2 teams that can offer the most playing time right away would be us and Xavier. I think we would beat out Xavier because of Cox. All depends on what Jermaine is looking for. We'll see.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Looking at the other schools left, Miami is loaded with highly rated 4/5 types..Deng Gak, Dewen Huell and Rodney Miller. West Virginia has 4* PF frosh Derek Culver. The 2 teams that can offer the most playing time right away would be us and Xavier. I think we would beat out Xavier because of Cox. All depends on what Jermaine is looking for. We'll see.
Just read that Culver will not be attending WVU this year and will be prepping at Brewster instead. But the plan is still for him to go to WVU next year.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

i think it really comes down to us and WVU, just like CT Rhody said, hope he gets by WVU and then Dan, Cox, and staff can put on the full court press
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

How many fans will be checking their twitter feed next constantly in two weeks to ensure he makes it out unscathed? lol obviously he is a program changing recruit for us.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

CT Rhody wrote:How many fans will be checking their twitter feed next constantly in two weeks to ensure he makes it out unscathed? lol obviously he is a program changing recruit for us.
I wouldn't say "program changing". More like "program continung" if that makes sense. Made the tournament last year, have a great chance to make it again this year, Harris would be a big step in continuing tournament appearances.
2 x
Go Rhody
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:How many fans will be checking their twitter feed next constantly in two weeks to ensure he makes it out unscathed? lol obviously he is a program changing recruit for us.
I wouldn't say "program changing". More like "program continung" if that makes sense. Made the tournament last year, have a great chance to make it again this year, Harris would be a big step in continuing tournament appearances.
We have never landed a consensus top 100 front court prospect under Hurley so they would be a first. It would open eyes to say the least.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CT Rhody wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:
We have never landed a consensus top 100 front court prospect under Hurley so they would be a first. It would open eyes to say the least.
If you don't count Iverson. Most here don't count him. I do. No way Iverson comes to URI under the previous regime. Doesn't even glance at us without Hurley here.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

How many consensus Top 100 front court guys have we landed in the history of the program?

I also agree with ramster that all players - whether 4 year or transfers - count on the Ledger in terms of recruiting. The college coach is the GM of the program, he is in charge of recruiting and assembling the personnel, how he secures them is irrelevant.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

This is becoming the Jared Terrell thread of 2017. Hope it ends the same way.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:How many consensus Top 100 front court guys have we landed in the history of the program?

I also agree with ramster that all players - whether 4 year or transfers - count on the Ledger in terms of recruiting. The college coach is the GM of the program, he is in charge of recruiting and assembling the personnel, how he secures them is irrelevant.
Luther Clay was McD All American. Just sayin'
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

But he was a transfer...which for some doesn't count.

For this question I was asking for true 4-year Top 100 front court recruits in the history of the program...besides Lamar Odom.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:But he was a transfer...which for some doesn't count.

For this question I was asking for true 4-year Top 100 front court recruits in the history of the program...besides Lamar Odom.
I'll leave this to Rod. I have no idea.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Realistically rankings have been around since 1995 in a major way? Just a guess, besides Odom and Clay, I can't think of anybody else from the 90's on.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody74 wrote:This is becoming the Jared Terrell thread of 2017. Hope it ends the same way.
Hopefully he skips the committing to a Big 12 middle man part
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great news that Kansas got that big man

Harris should want to come here and be the big man to pair with Cyril and form a nice twin towers
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

reef wrote:Great news that Kansas got that big man

Harris should want to come here and be the big man to pair with Cyril and form a nice twin towers

That would be a MOSTER future front court... He would be a program changer, because I have no doubt our staff could build a top notch backcourt around that monster front court. Would be a huge commitment, also considering having a true SF in Tate. Wow!!!
0 x