'18 MD PF Jermaine Harris (URI Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Re: '18 MD PF Jermaine Harris (Offer)

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

rhodylaw wrote:I would love to see both Harris and Doherty - unless one of the guys on the team now steps up really big this year, our front court is Cyril and some borderline A10 players. With both these guys and Cyril and Tate the front court would be Dominant in the A10 and we still have enough guard depth.
Bill Koch is on record as believing Hurley will not ask a kid to transfer, which I don't doubt. Dan brings kids in who fit and doesn't ever want guys to transfer as it hurts graduation rates and our APR. I'm pretty sure Doherty will be doing a post grad at a Oak Hill, Brewster, or something. Doherty I think could be an early 19 commit if that happens, but Jermaine Harris is who we want down low for the foreseeable future.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:I would love to see both Harris and Doherty - unless one of the guys on the team now steps up really big this year, our front court is Cyril and some borderline A10 players. With both these guys and Cyril and Tate the front court would be Dominant in the A10 and we still have enough guard depth.
Bill Koch is on record as believing Hurley will not ask a kid to transfer, which I don't doubt. Dan brings kids in who fit and doesn't ever want guys to transfer as it hurts graduation rates and our APR. I'm pretty sure Doherty will be doing a post grad at a Oak Hill, Brewster, or something. Doherty I think could be an early 19 commit if that happens, but Jermaine Harris is who we want down low for the foreseeable future.
I think this is mostly accurate. I do not believe Hurley will force a kid out by refusing to renew his scholarship, but you can increase the likelihood of a player transferring by communicating in an open and honest way about the role you envision for him and his place in the pecking order, etc. Transfers do not hurt APR or graduation rates, though, provided the player is in good standing when he leaves URI and graduates from whatever school he moves on to.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we don't get Harris or Doherty, I can see Dan leaving one scholarship open for 2018.....and getting a quality transfer big if possible.

Of course we could also have someone leave after this season if they don't get PT......
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hurley may not force a player to transfer out BEFORE graduation. From most indications however, he has implied to 5th year graduate players such as Reischel that they should move on.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

RF1 wrote:Hurley may not force a player to transfer out BEFORE graduation. From most indications however, he has implied to 5th year graduate players such as Reischel that they should move on.
He told Matthew Butler to move on before graduation. Scholarships are awarded annually.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

I think we need to really calm down on the "encouraged transfer" talk. It's funny to me that not long ago that was what some felt should happen with Andre Berry because we had a 3-star stud coming in named Mike Layssard. Berry has progressed pretty well to the point where he'll get decent minutes this year. Let's give Mike L (sophomore) and Mike T (freshman) a chance to become upperclassmen and see what we have in them. Or AT LEAST let's see them on the court! We had a pretty dominant couple of seniors last year at the forward spots that prevented us from seeing what they could do.

Remember Earl Watson didn't play much at all his junior year but showed to be serviceable at worst his senior year. For whatever reason Coach Hurley doesn't give bigs the same opportunities he gives guards. Even Cyril last year didn't get nearly the minutes he deserved in the Oregon game when Hass couldn't move.

I for one will hold out judgement of the Mikes until I see them in games.
4 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Add Biggie Minis to the list of guys who left.
Oneykaba, too.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Also Biggie and Jarelle still graduated first. Iffy wasn't pushed out he walked away from basketball the day before opening night because he felt he wouldn't pass his classes traveling throughout the season. The coaches were blindsided by it.
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Iggy1979 wrote:
RF1 wrote:Hurley may not force a player to transfer out BEFORE graduation. From most indications however, he has implied to 5th year graduate players such as Reischel that they should move on.
He told Matthew Butler to move on before graduation. Scholarships are awarded annually.
Matthew Butler moved on his own accord, he wasn't pushed out the door. That I know as fact...
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Both Biggie, Oneyekaba & Jerelle graduated before leaving to my knowledge...
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I really want to know what that Rivals article says
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Can't wait for this kid and his family to touch down in the Ocean state; weather looks to be beautiful and hopefully he will feel the love from all he comes across. Go Rhody!!!
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

NorthernRamFan wrote:Can't wait for this kid and his family to touch down in the Ocean state; weather looks to be beautiful and hopefully he will feel the love from all he comes across. Go Rhody!!!
Are we still hearing that he is going to take all his visits?
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Hearing that is his plan; I think it was Blue Man who mentioned kids only get this opportunity once if the school they land at is the right fit. Why not embrace our belief we're the best fit, show him why, and then give the freedom of letting him realize this. I think at days end we will be just fine.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

What 18 year old kid, or human in general, wouldn't want to see the country, visit multiple schools, have their asses kissed and schmoozed all at someone else's expense. If i were a recruit, and even if i was 95% sure which staff/school was the best fit, you better believe I would take every visit.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote:What 18 year old kid, or human in general, wouldn't want to see the country, visit multiple schools, have their asses kissed and schmoozed all at someone else's expense. If i were a recruit, and even if i was 95% sure which staff/school was the best fit, you better believe I would take every visit.
What recruit wouldn't want to take 5 weekends to visit 5 schools? Apparently all the recruits who verbally commit before doing so. That would include the three recruits who have already verbally committed to Rhody this Fall I believe.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Good Podcast on the URI radio station by the way.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:What 18 year old kid, or human in general, wouldn't want to see the country, visit multiple schools, have their asses kissed and schmoozed all at someone else's expense. If i were a recruit, and even if i was 95% sure which staff/school was the best fit, you better believe I would take every visit.
What recruit wouldn't want to take 5 weekends to visit 5 schools? Apparently all the recruits who verbally commit before doing so. That would include the three recruits who have already verbally committed to Rhody this Fall I believe.
Harris had already done a Temple visit. Not tracking the other 2 in terms of if they did any school visits prior to ours. To each his own just stating that if the kid still takes his visits it doesn't necessarily mean a thing.
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

**Jermaine Harris, the 6-foot-8 power forward from Capitol Christian (MD) Academy, trips to Rhode Island this weekend (Sept. 22) for his second official visit. Harris took his first official visit to West Virginia last week (Sept. 15) and has visits planned to Xavier (Sept. 29), Kansas (Oct. 6), and Miami (Oct. 20).
http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/09/20/recr ... idbits-17/
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Looks like a near 7 footer in these videos.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

The man arrives today!!!!
Seal the deal!!!
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I wish Jose would go away, but lets hope he knows this isn't Seattle. Show em the ropes Rhody!
1 x
GO RAMS
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

all good Rhodymob, I know today is crappy but tomorrow and Sunday are gonna be 75-80 and sunny, perfect days for Mr Harris! Let's get this kid Rhody!
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I'll say a few prayers in church this weekend.
1 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

wow.. just checked narragansett weather..

what shame cas its nothing but blue skies here in CT

at least this weekend will be nice
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The sun broke through!!!! Finally!!! Great weekend ahead. Hopefully we can get a commitment this weekend!!!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Very quiet. I know he was supposed to be here last night. Does anybody know if he showed up? Did any of you students see him on campus?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Was at the coast guard house earlier, wouldn't expect them there till dinner if that's the spot anyway but they weren't there. Weather was unreal together, it sold me to want to purchase a condo on the beach at some point!
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Based on social media seems like the team went go carting today...not sure if Harris was there.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

He got in late Thursday night and will be here until tomorrow morning I believe.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Stay safe on the Go Carts URI hoop team !!
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Does anyone know if any of the three commits made an unofficial visit to Kingston this weekend? I believe I saw a post that Tate was on campus when A Harris had his official visit. The current three have said they were going to recruit J Harris. Tate being in MA would be the logical one to make the trip.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote:Does anyone know if any of the three commits made an unofficial visit to Kingston this weekend? I believe I saw a post that Tate was on campus when A Harris had his official visit. The current three have said they were going to recruit J Harris. Tate being in MA would be the logical one to make the trip.
Tate was here last week for his official visit.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I have a feeling that Jermaine was not here.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote:I have a feeling that Jermaine was not here.
How come?
0 x
GO RAMS
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

You don't think Harris came at all?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He visited and has left the building
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

I should have clarified in my post... I know for a fact he got in Thursday night, but I wasn't sure if he was leaving Saturday night or Sunday morning.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I believe there is a time limit for the official visit. If he arrived Thurs night, I am pretty sure his visit would end Sat night.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Official visits cannot exceed 48 hours. His visit was from Thursday night arrival to Saturday night departure.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:I believe there is a time limit for the official visit. If he arrived Thurs night, I am pretty sure his visit would end Sat night.
Yes, it's 48 hours. And he was scheduled to arrive on Friday night, not Thursday. When Harris visited WV last week, he posted pictures of his visit, including the one with Huggins and he followed some WV players and some students on twitter. He did none of that here. Unless this visit was kept quiet for some reason, I find that a little strange.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:I believe there is a time limit for the official visit. If he arrived Thurs night, I am pretty sure his visit would end Sat night.
Yes, it's 48 hours. And he was scheduled to arrive on Friday night, not Thursday. When Harris visited WV last week, he posted pictures of his visit, including the one with Huggins and he followed some WV players and some students on twitter. He did none of that here. Unless this visit was kept quiet for some reason, I find that a little strange.
Agreed, from the outside this doesn't look good for us.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

First, he didn't come... now he came but because he didn't follow players on twitter things look bad..

Man, this board is negative sometimes...

We have no idea how the visit went. Good or bad. I'm going to remain positive and trust that this staff can get the job done.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

steveystuds06 wrote:First, he didn't come... now he came but because he didn't follow players on twitter things look bad..

We have no idea how the visit went. Good or bad. I'm going to remain positive and trust that this staff can get the job done.
I noted that from the outside, on the inside which is the only thing that matters who knows how it went.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote:First, he didn't come... now he came but because he didn't follow players on twitter things look bad..

I never said he came. I still don't know.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Fellas, he visited. Team members had some videos on IG with him suited up in go kart gear at an indoor raceway. I’m sure he had a good time, but WVU will be hard to beat.
3 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Looks like Kansas might be out of this race with another front court recruit committed

1 x