'18 MD PF Jermaine Harris (URI Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: '18 MD PF Jermaine Harris (Offer)

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

This class can really take off.

Top front court.... what was the ranking of our friend from Michigan. The tall one. That played basketball but just kind of .. Stopped?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote:But he was a transfer...which for some doesn't count.

For this question I was asking for true 4-year Top 100 front court recruits in the history of the program...besides Lamar Odom.
Sly Williams
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

reef wrote:Great news that Kansas got that big man

Harris should want to come here and be the big man to pair with Cyril and form a nice twin towers
I love the enthusiasm, but this made me actually laugh out loud (no disrespect meant).
When I think "twin towers" I think of two guys that are 7'0". (Ralph Sampson & Hakeem Olijawon, Robinson & Duncan, etc.)
Cyril is maybe 6'7". However, it is good for Harris to know that we have capable guys (Cyril and eventually Tertsea) to man the post.
So, if his plan is to work his way towards being a stretch 4, he will certainly have that opportunity at URI.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:But he was a transfer...which for some doesn't count.

For this question I was asking for true 4-year Top 100 front court recruits in the history of the program...besides Lamar Odom.
Sly Williams
I don't know if they used stars to rank players back then, but he probably would have been a 4 star today.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This link has two recent big men's rankings...that year we signed 2 of the top 25 ranked high school centers in the nation according to ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... w/position
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Hare i could see with that ranking...Onyekaba just proves how bad ESPN is at high school rankings, and how flawed they can be in general.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Artis Gilmore and Pembrooke Burrows. Not sure I got the names right but 2 7 footers about 40 years ago
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote:Artis Gilmore and Pembrooke Burrows. Not sure I got the names right but 2 7 footers about 40 years ago
Yep. Ernie Fleming from Durfee in Fall River played for that team.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

bigappleram wrote:Hare i could see with that ranking...Onyekaba just proves how bad ESPN is at high school rankings, and how flawed they can be in general.
Those rankings obviously got messed up on the site. They have Onyekaba ranked 13 with three stars and a grade of 89 yet there are guys with more stars and higher grades below him. If you go to Syracuse (and I'm sure there are other players like this), Jerami Grant is four stars with a grade of 96 yet isn't listed in the top 50.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Billyboy78 wrote:
UCH21377 wrote:Artis Gilmore and Pembrooke Burrows. Not sure I got the names right but 2 7 footers about 40 years ago

Excellent memory. Ernie Fleming was an excellent player too. Very disrespected team in history. Was it Joe Williams that coached that team? Rex Morgan was a very good player for them too.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

Excellent memory. Ernie Fleming was an excellent player too. Very disrespected team in history. Was it Joe Williams that coached that team? Rex Morgan was a very good player for them too.
My brother played for Durfee. When he was a senior, Ernie was a sophomore. Ernie was good friends with Gilmore. They went to JC together, then both went to Jacksonville. Artis would often come up to Fall River with Ernie. Ernie passed last year, I believe.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Didn't Durfee have a legendary coach too ??
My mom was born and raised in Fall River went to Durfee graduated in 54
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Skip Caram
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Harris will be receiving an in-home visit from Rhode Island & Xavier today and West Virginia this Wednesday.

Three checking in with Harris
Brian Snow - 49 minutes ago 0

(Photo: Kelly Kline/Under Armour)
Things are about to get very busy on the recruiting trail for four-star big man Jermaine Harris. Not only does he has five scheduled official visits on the docket, but also some in-home visits have been lined up.

"We have Xavier and Rhode Island coming in today," said Rock Creek Christian Head Coach Chris Cole about in-home trips. "Also West Virginia will be on Wednesday to see Jermaine."

Harris has official visits with all of those schools lined up, beginning this upcoming weekend with one to West Virginia.

Also official visits have been set with Kansas and Miami, though those visits aren't until October.

Harris is one of the most athletic and productive bigs left uncommitted in the 2018 class.

Author
Brian Snow @ScoutRecruiting

http://scout.com/college/basketball/rec ... -107293702
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Joe95 wrote:Harris will be receiving an in-home visit from Rhode Island & Xavier today and West Virginia this Wednesday.

Three checking in with Harris
Brian Snow - 49 minutes ago 0

(Photo: Kelly Kline/Under Armour)
Things are about to get very busy on the recruiting trail for four-star big man Jermaine Harris. Not only does he has five scheduled official visits on the docket, but also some in-home visits have been lined up.

"We have Xavier and Rhode Island coming in today," said Rock Creek Christian Head Coach Chris Cole about in-home trips. "Also West Virginia will be on Wednesday to see Jermaine."

Harris has official visits with all of those schools lined up, beginning this upcoming weekend with one to West Virginia.

Also official visits have been set with Kansas and Miami, though those visits aren't until October.

Harris is one of the most athletic and productive bigs left uncommitted in the 2018 class.

Author
Brian Snow @ScoutRecruiting

http://scout.com/college/basketball/rec ... -107293702
Excellent news Joe95. Thanks for posting. Great job considering your first post ever :D :D
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Glad to see we are going all out nobody who else is involved!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So at home visits I assume we travel and spend time in his home and meet his family. Who do we send there I assume DH and a couple assistants ??
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I would send everyone. Gina too. Kid deserves tax credits.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I've seen people write that this could be our "best class ever"... If we want that to be the case we have to land this kid. I love that the staff is doing everything possible to get him.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yeah its he second week of September, clocks ticking.
0 x
GO RAMS
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Can't wait to get this kid within the borders of Rhody! Hopefully Tate & Martin can make a trip the same weekend so he feels the love from both our current guys & verbal commits!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

While I like the Tate and Martin commits, Harris is the key guy in this class.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Rhody74 wrote:While I like the Tate and Martin commits, Harris is the key guy in this class.
Without a doubt! This kid is a program transformative type. He's a Hassan, EC, Dunn, Ryan Gomes... you name an impact level type player and Jermaine Harris falls right in line. He could be a Ray Allen at UConn type
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Not only is Harris a crown jewel for a recruiting class, he is a crown jewel for a program. Pulling this off would be huge for the future of the team.

Harris and Martin would be EC and Hass 2.0...but with the potential to be even better
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

RF1 wrote:
love this!!! let's F...in GO
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

let's go RHODY !
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

How often does one a player pick a school based on his buddy recruiting him?
0 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I think it helps to have everyone pulling in the same direction. Buying into a vision.

Just for conversation sake, the way you quantify that stat would be interesting. Package deals probably are like 95% end up together. Players that don't make it known probably less than 10% get pushed.

Was reading some stuff on a football message board about Nick Saban taking package deals and then running off the lesser of the deal right off the bat when they arrive.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Not only is Harris a crown jewel for a recruiting class, he is a crown jewel for a program. Pulling this off would be huge for the future of the team.

Harris and Martin would be EC and Hass 2.0...but with the potential to be even better
Tyrese is no EC
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Not only is Harris a crown jewel for a recruiting class, he is a crown jewel for a program. Pulling this off would be huge for the future of the team.

Tyrese is no EC
and I never said he was...

Harris = EC = 4*, program changing star player
Tyrese = Martin = 3* recruit who is an underrated late bloomer
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:How often does one a player pick a school based on his buddy recruiting him?
Never
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Hope he gets through this weekend with a commitment. Our class is dependent on him!
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:

Tyrese is no EC
and I never said he was...

Harris = EC = 4*, program changing star player
Tyrese = Martin = 3* recruit who is an underrated late bloomer
If you listen to his AAU coach he's comparable to Josh Hart, who played at & won a Natty at Nova... if he's 3/4 of the player Hart turned into we have serious potential at making a deep run and dare I dream of the F4!
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

This player immediately makes Rhody hoops elite. Dream team to coach, offensive weapons to attack any defense. Play any style of ball, defeat any style. The dark clouds of the past have cleared. The talent levels of 1978, 1988, 1998/99 again - perhaps better....

Top 10 level,

Yes this get could be that big.

Go Rhody.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That would be awesome to get our first top 10 ranking ever during the season
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Top 10? Guys let's calm down a little. We lose a lot this year. Let's focus on being the elite program in the A-10 first please.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

CT Rhody wrote:Top 10? Guys let's calm down a little. We lose a lot this year. Let's focus on being the elite program in the A-10 first please.
Fair statement there.

Getting Harris though, would be a breakthrough....getting 4 star bigs would be a big step up. Would be VCU-like when Shaka was there.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:How often does one a player pick a school based on his buddy recruiting him?
Never
Come on Iggy. Just last year Umass got the tandem out of Louisiana. Happens often.

Higher levels happens every year from Oden and Conley to Tatum and Giles.

Jabari Parker and the Minnesota point guard, forget his name.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
Never
Come on Iggy. Just last year Umass got the tandem out of Louisiana. Happens often.

Higher levels happens every year from Oden and Conley to Tatum and Giles.

Jabari Parker and the Minnesota point guard, forget his name.
Agree, I thought of Jarreau and Gresham right away. Maybe it doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen, going back to the Fab 5 of Michigan. They made it clear that they all wanted to play together.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

so, next friday 9/22 is his visit, correct ?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

CT Rhody wrote:Hope he gets through this weekend with a commitment. Our class is dependent on him!
This sentiment makes me nervous. Harris looks like an impact player and would be a huge continuation of momentum for URI - definitely from a perception standpoint and very likely from a basketball standpoint. But can we pump the brakes just a tad on the idea that the entire future of the program depends on this one player? Yes, I would love to get a commitment from Harris, but if it doesn't happen the program will go on. There is quality competition for this guy, so let's calibrate our expectations accordingly. I think Rhody is right in the thick of it for him and will put their best foot forward and recruit him as hard as they can. I'm very hopeful and decently optimistic. But please let's not make it an all-or-nothing proposition.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:Hope he gets through this weekend with a commitment. Our class is dependent on him!
This sentiment makes me nervous. Harris looks like an impact player and would be a huge continuation of momentum for URI - definitely from a perception standpoint and very likely from a basketball standpoint. But can we pump the brakes just a tad on the idea that the entire future of the program depends on this one player? Yes, I would love to get a commitment from Harris, but if it doesn't happen the program will go on. There is quality competition for this guy, so let's calibrate our expectations accordingly. I think Rhody is right in the thick of it for him and will put their best foot forward and recruit him as hard as they can. I'm very hopeful and decently optimistic. But please let's not make it an all-or-nothing proposition.
But remember TP, it is all or nothing. Because if we miss on him - "Hurley sucks he shouldn't be leading our program we should get a 4* big every single class because Rhody had Lamar Odom here 20 years ago."

If we do get him it's "THIS IS GREAT - but let's wait and see because Hurley needs to prove that he can do this on his own without assistants, it was really coach ___________ who led this recruiting effort, and I'm and all-around curmudgeon who will never be happy with anything but I will complain on this board about it because I need to blame something for this unfathomable sadness in my soul."

*****because this board is sensitive and struggles to grasp internet language this post is not:

A) about anyone in particular
B) a direct response to a post on this thread
C) full of fact/based on a single instance

This post is:

A) what seems to be a general consensus of a few people from time to time via a smattering of posts through the last 5 years
B) what seems to always happen after a loss or missed recruit
C) a lighthearted dig at this fanbase in general meant to get people to stop being so overly sensitive and serious about their online postings on a college basketball message board.
D) honestly pretty accurate about the mental state of a lot of our fans
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

If someone's "sadness in their soul" is caused by a game,
then that person needs to get a life.
There's more to life than sports.
We saw some of your negative comments on Facebook after losses,
but you keep those away from this board.
You even got blasted by Andrea Hurley on one of those rants.
Posting your unending condemnation of other posters,
who aren't jerking off to pictures of Dan, is ridiculous.
People are entitled to think what they will, regardless of
who agrees or disagrees with the poster.
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

No, it's not the end of the world if we don't get Harris. I guess it depends on what you want in the next few years. If we don't get him, we could still contend for A10 titles and an NCAA berth for those years. With him, along with Langevine and an expected good group of guards, could make us a dangerous tournament team, maybe a sweet 16 or better? No, it won't be the end of the world, but it's not often that we are involved with a highly rated big like Harris. I am extremely happy with where the program is right now and thrilled with where Dan has taken the program in 5 years. I think we're all happy. But I'm also dreaming of greatness.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rodfromcranston wrote:If someone's "sadness in their soul" is caused by a game,
then that person needs to get a life.
There's more to life than sports.
We saw some of your negative comments on Facebook after losses,
but you keep those away from this board.
You even got blasted by Andrea Hurley on one of those rants.
Posting your unending condemnation of other posters,
who aren't jerking off to pictures of Dan, is ridiculous.
People are entitled to think what they will, regardless of
who agrees or disagrees with the poster.
Um - let me try to unpack.

a) if someone can't find joy in a leisure entertainment activity, as referenced by plenty of posts on this board, I don't know what you'd call it - I chose unfathomable sadness in their soul. I think it's funny. There's obviously levity in it, and probably a fair amount of truth.

b) There's more to life than sports? No.

c) Usually I try to add a little more insight/detail into a board post than a simple "OH MY GOD I CANT BELIEVE WE SUCK" posted on my timeline. Also, I'm pretty sure I am nothing but consistent with my criticisms/praise. You'll find plenty of both on this board, and usually if I reverse an opinion, I'll call myself out on it and say I was wrong. Just like I'll post 10,786,363 HAHA F YOU I WAS RIGHT statements if it goes the other way (see: Madness, March for examples).

I know the internet gets confusing but there are different types of messages meant for different mediums. Twitter, IG, Facebook, message boards, linked in - all are different and for those who understand 21st century media, there are certain types of posts, lengths, and levels of seriousness commonly accepted for each. The simple rule: politics = bad, sarcasm/wild totalitarian funny statements = good.

d) is getting blasted by Andrea Hurley her commenting "were you in the huddle?" to my I CANT BELIEVE THE LEAST CLUTCH PLAYER IN URI HISTORY GOT THE PLAY CALLED FOR HIM post? I'm not sure that counts as blasted. Fair point by her, also fair point by me to say at that point EC was anything but clutch at the time. Clutch EC had about 3 plays under his belt through February of this year. Clutch EC showed up down the stretch and made me happily eat my words.

e) my unending condemnation of other posters who aren't jerking off to pictures of Dan is maybe only 10% as ridiculous as the people who have called for his head or complained about the job he's doing. You are correct though, that condemnation is and will forever be unending. Batman wears a cape and runs around by himself cleaning up the sh*thole that is lower Gotham while everyone else stood by and watched. Someone has to do it.

f) people are certainly entitled to think what they will. That doesn't change how wrong they are, and when they are wrong, I will happily be there to remind them with way too many words, paragraphs, inflammatory statements, wild accusations, and general hilariousness that most college basketball fans under the age of 40 will appreciate.

Can't please em all!
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

So, you have set yourself up as the ultimate arbiter in what is right and wrong?
Wow!
I think I have a bigger social media footprint than anyone here.
so I think I have a grasp of it.
You think only people under 40 have a brain or humor?
Politics? Guess you don't see Twitter's content, unless it's
about sports.
In case you missed it, our President uses it to make policy,
insane as that may be.
Oh, and Batman is a comic book character, and this
board isn't a shithole.
A little perspective might go a long way.
All that said, you remain one of my favorite people,
so there's that.....
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

The clouds have cleared, we are A10 Champs and have a nice club going forward with good talent.

This player could be a game changer and shorten our path to top 10 status.

DH I believe has stated his goal is to create an eastern Gonzaga. We may be on track to achieve this remarkable goal.

Top 10 status has to be earned on the hardwood, but there is no way to achieve it without bringing in elite talent.

I'm optimistic.

Go Rhody
4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

So fully recognizing my role in this diversion, let's try to get back to the topic at hand.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011