'18 RI SG Cole Swider (Villanova Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

URI has it in spades over PC in terms of student life.

IMHO I think it is the largest gap between the schools if you are looking at where they are different.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

TruePoint wrote:Kingston/Narragansett is a better place to go to college than Smith Hill.
Seawrightspostgame wrote:URI has it in spades over PC in terms of student life.
I'm not going to assume your age nor your affiliation to current student life, but, as a graduate of URI that is under 30 and has chosen to live on the West Side of Providence I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you guys. The regular URI night life is great... but it's VERY spread about. You are often jumping location to location on any given night and the "college bars" are not exactly near campus. I highly doubt that the school is organizing late-night busses for the players that choose to have the occasional night out... Other campuses don't have this issue. PC being one. You can just take a stroll down the street or hop into an uber to a single location where you can walk to several others.

Sure, renting houses a stones throw from the ocean and enjoying the beach the few times you have before you're kicked out in May is pretty awesome... until you get one of those giant orange stickers. And... I'm not sure if you've recently visited, quite a few properties off Smith Hill have been renovated and are currently under renovation. You also typically get them for a full year around the same price you live off campus at URI from September to May. This gives students the option to live in the city and work during the summer if they choose without additional cost.

PC off-campus living is significantly nicer than it was even a decade ago. It is also safer. You are more likely to see a hipster with a small dog walking around than witness one of these supposed "shootings" I've seen other posters mention. Fun fact: someone got shot at in Eastward Look my freshmen year at URI. Idiots with guns are everywhere. Let's stay away from stereotyping city dwellers, it's silly.

I'm not sure if you guys have heard of Justine's or the Shelter, but, these are pretty massively popular bars that have recently popped up in Olneyville Square. Or Ogie's Trailer Park up the street on Broadway. Imagine sending someone to Olneyville square to get a beer 15 years ago? Areas of Smith Hill are still in need of some love, but Providence in general is a much better environment for student life than Kingston... and it continues to improve. It's really no comparison to me at this point, though this is entirely a matter of opinion. I know students at both universities and I'm still young enough to be around what's actually going on. I also know that many RIC students have started to choose living off Smith Hill next to PC for the added social benefits. Take that as whatever you'd like.

People will always have their own opinions on what is or is not "better," but, the idea that Providence sucks and Kingston is a great college town has to go. It's a mediocre college town compared to, say, State College, PA. Providence has more to offer in many, many ways. When it comes to recruiting local kids (anyone for that matter) that is a massively relevant factor. I think the idea of what we are recruiting against needs to be restructured. Young people love Providence.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If you read my whole post and not just the one line that you quoted, you'd know that I generally agree that Providence is good. Unfortunately (for PC) the area of the city where it is located is not. It may be better than it was, and congrats to them for that relative improvement, but it's still probably the least interesting and desirable part of the city outside of the Thurbers Ave area.

I'll go even further - my brother went to NYU and lived in lower manhattan and Brooklyn while he was there. Certainly a lot going on, and you'll find few bigger fans of New York City than me and I loved my time living there. I'd still prefer a rural campus like URI's than an urban campus, even when the city is the best city in the world.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:If you read my whole post and not just the one line that you quoted, you'd know that I generally agree that Providence is good. Unfortunately (for PC) the area of the city where it is located is not. It may be better than it was, and congrats to them for that relative improvement, but it's still probably the least interesting and desirable part of the city outside of the Thurbers Ave area.

I'll go even further - my brother went to NYU and lived in lower manhattan and Brooklyn while he was there. Certainly a lot going on, and you'll find few bigger fans of New York City than me and I loved my time living there. I'd still prefer a rural campus like URI's than an urban campus, even when the city is the best city in the world.
Which is why I liked it. I get the opinion you think I'm trying to discredit your opinion with my own, and I assure you that's not the case. I read your whole post. :lol:

I agree Smith Hill is probably one of the last "destinations" you'd visit in the city unless seeing something Providence College related, but, within a 20 minute (safe) walk, you could be in downtown. In the other direction, you could end up on Federal Hill and the surrounding areas that have improved vastly. If you walk 20 minutes in any direction from URI, all you've earned is a 20 minute walk home.

It's funny you mention Brooklyn, because that's essentially the model of gentrification that's underway in quite a few areas of Providence. A lot of young, "hipster" types that have begun to move in and actually take pride in the area.

I get it though. Different strokes for different folks. Fact is, though, most urban kids (95% of our recruits) gravitate toward the city... not a farm town half an hour from the beach. That's just the reality of our recruiting situation, whether we'd like to admit it or not. Luckily we have a great coach that sells everything well, and I am thankful for that.
Last edited by the_one_mike 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

So I think it's a reasonable thing to think that basketball players that grew up in a city want to go to a city school, but that was the theory for St John's being a sleeping giant and the best players from NYC don't go to St John's, they go to UConn and Syracuse and Kansas and UNC and Kentucky. Not that the draw to those places is that they aren't in big cities, just that it doesn't seem to matter as much as you might reasonably expect.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:So I think it's a reasonable thing to think that basketball players that grew up in a city want to go to a city school, but that was the theory for St John's being a sleeping giant and the best players from NYC don't go to St John's, they go to UConn and Syracuse and Kansas and UNC and Kentucky. Not that the draw to those places is that they aren't in big cities, just that it doesn't seem to matter as much as you might reasonably expect.
That's something I can certainly agree with, but we are in a very interesting, "what have you done for me lately?" sports world. Look at all these layoffs at ESPN. They are promoting the moment, not the history. Sensationalized and recent headlines are in. PC is much more in the moment than St. John's is based off recent success and the subsequent media coverage -- and to the winner goes the spoils. St. John's had to hire a notable name to try and capture back some of that zeitgeist.

URI in an interesting situation regarding the same thing. Despite NYC being such a large market, that also means there are a litany of events to compete with. Other teams, other sports; other everything. Rhode Island has one professional team and it's not even a major league... So the media market argument of past is becoming less and less a factor in determining the value of a team's location. Cable TV is dying. Social media, streaming services, and digital marketing are quite quickly taking the place of it. I could easily see most major conferences cutting out the middleman and offering their own streaming digital media services in the next decade or so. That favors URI in a major way. With a couple more years of success, these varying media markets are absolutely sure to ride the moment -- and we have a coach that could steer this proverbial ship right to port. We can easily become that media darling and ride that pony as far as we can.

To me, though, the key in that opportunity is being aware of how all of these various things are changing and be ready before it's too late. These facilities that seem unnecessary to some of us today turn into "should have's" of tomorrow. In college sports, now, it seems you are either ahead or you are behind. Campus wise, I'd have to say to most young people, URI is behind. We have lackluster facilities compared to other "college town" schools. We also have lackluster facilities compared to an in-state rival whose location debatably has more to offer to a kid who is used to living in the city. Let alone campuses in other cities that also offer great things.

Even if we found all guys that preferred that college town atmosphere over the city... then compare what we offer to other teams in the A10; a St. Louis or a UMass. It's hard to compete with that. We are in a losing situation regardless unless we improve what we have to offer. Complacency is death. We must also be aware that there's a shark up 95 that appeals in a lot more ways than people are giving them credit for, whether we like it or not.

You're also comparing apples to oranges with players we get versus a NYC recruit that gets offers from UConn, Syracuse, Kansas, UNC, and Kentucky. Obviously if offered by a high-major, most recruits, despite where they are from realize the benefits of simply wearing that uniform. At that point, location matters much less than the network and amenities. That second and third tier level player in NYC, though, those are the ones Siena is fighting to get from Iona. Despite Siena having more to offer, a lot choose to stay closer to the city. That's obviously a very specific microcosm, but I think that it goes to illustrate the difference in interest based purely off comfort of environment.

We are fighting to get a handful of top tier recruits and a bunch of "second" tier recruits with a high ceiling. That's our ideal situation. That's MOST programs' ideal situation. We are succeeding thus far, but have to BUILD on success if we hope to sustain it. Next year is a serious, serious hinge for this program. The season itself, and subsequent recruiting class. We need to ride the favorable media and invest that attention right back into the program... with that model, this doesn't have to be a perceived "mid-major" school anymore.
Last edited by the_one_mike 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

the_one_mike wrote: Campus wise, I'd have to say to most young people, URI is behind. We have lackluster facilities compared to other "college town" schools. We also have lackluster facilities compared to an in-state rival whose location debatably has more to offer to a kid who is used to living in the city. Let alone campuses in other cities that also offer great things.
This is probably the most laughable statement I have read. Thanks for the chuckle.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

theblueram wrote:
the_one_mike wrote: Campus wise, I'd have to say to most young people, URI is behind. We have lackluster facilities compared to other "college town" schools. We also have lackluster facilities compared to an in-state rival whose location debatably has more to offer to a kid who is used to living in the city. Let alone campuses in other cities that also offer great things.
This is probably the most laughable statement I have read. Thanks for the chuckle.
Go back into your troll hole unless you have some kind of information to present that disputes my opinion. If that's funny to you, thanks for just illustrating my earlier point about delusional homer fans.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

the_one_mike wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Go back into your troll hole unless you have some kind of information to present that disputes my opinion. If that's funny to you, thanks for just illustrating my earlier point about delusional homer fans.
Name one facility/program at your venerable PC that is better than URI.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This is off topic to Cole, but in terms of bars/campus /off campus housing/location, I'd choose URI 10 out of 10 times. I'll fill an entire page if you really need know why.
0 x
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

This thread has become epic

I hope Cole reads it

:)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If he is reading it, one message....anywhere but PC.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:This is off topic to Cole, but in terms of bars/campus /off campus housing/location, I'd choose URI 10 out of 10 times. I'll fill an entire page if you really need know why.
Half this thread has been off topic to Cole.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

It comes down to personal preference. No needs to write a novel about it.

Many kids at 17-20 don't even realize what kind of school they want to be in until they try a couple anyways. I went to URI initially found out I did not care for a rural campus and eventually found my way to a big city private school. My sister did the exact opposite. It just comes down to each individual person.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The Kingston Campus has 1,250 acres. pc has 105 acres. Not to mention that we have a Bay Campus, with a research vessel. Oh, and a nuclear reactor. We also have buildings in Providence for classes. I mean, my house sits on an acre in Narragansett. So pc's campus is like 100x my house. hah.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

You forgot the 2,300 acre Alton Jones Campus.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote:You forgot the 2,300 acre Alton Jones Campus.

Love the Alton Jones campus. Sergei Khrushchev gave us a presentation there during my graduate studies. The son of Nikita Khrushchev. It was very moving.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I get it though. Different strokes for different folks. Fact is, though, most urban kids (95% of our recruits) gravitate toward the city... not a farm town half an hour from the beach. That's just the reality of our recruiting situation, whether we'd like to admit it or not. Luckily we have a great coach that sells everything well, and I am thankful for that.[/quote]

URI has never had a problem attracting applicants. Wonder why that is? It is really not a hard sell at all. Do you care to reference where you are getting your facts from?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote:I get it though. Different strokes for different folks. Fact is, though, most urban kids (95% of our recruits) gravitate toward the city... not a farm town half an hour from the beach. That's just the reality of our recruiting situation, whether we'd like to admit it or not. Luckily we have a great coach that sells everything well, and I am thankful for that.

Most urban kids would be better off at a non inner city school. I know I was once I left NYC and came to Rhode Island.
Last edited by theblueram 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Phil Kydd almost changed his mind when he saw cows on 138.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:Phil Kydd almost changed his mind when he saw cows on 138.
And ended up loving it here.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I don't know Phil, but what a great resume he has. Glad he is a URI alumn. Glad he is at URI helping with the future of our school. He came to URI 6 years before I did.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I think it was Stan Wright who said, "I'm going to school
in Hooterville!"
A reference to Pettycoat Junction and Green Acres TV
shows, back in the 60's, set in rural America.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ah....Green Acres....as dopey a show as ever was made........but now considered iconic along with many other shows of the time period.....back then growing up, what else was there to do but watch TV? Back then entire families actually got together and watched this stuff...every week.

Great theme song though.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Let's just call it preference, any news on Cole?
0 x
GO RAMS
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

TruePoint wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Those "Midwestern schools in the actual middle of nowhere" are what make them great. They're called college towns. Bloomington, IN, Champaign, IL, Iowa City, IA....the town/city revolves around the university culturally, socially, and economically. Usually the university is the largest employer in the area. That's what makes those world-class institutions special. Those towns in the "middle of nowhere" have hospitals, researchers, good public school systems, transportation around the city, etc. They bring in concerts, speakers, specials and obviously have a track record of producing world-class students and student athletes.

It's very easy for a recruit to be attracted to that as opposed to being just another face in another city.
This is an actual good post. Two in two days, even. I'll be damned.
What was my other good post? I'm trying to keep track of them but I lost count after 1.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

TP and PMMM should go on the road as a comedy team......their interaction is boffo to the max.......
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

the_one_mike wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Kingston/Narragansett is a better place to go to college than Smith Hill.
I'm not going to assume your age nor your affiliation to current student life, but, as a graduate of URI that is under 30 and has chosen to live on the West Side of Providence I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you guys. The regular URI night life is great... but it's VERY spread about. You are often jumping location to location on any given night and the "college bars" are not exactly near campus. I highly doubt that the school is organizing late-night busses for the players that choose to have the occasional night out... Other campuses don't have this issue. PC being one. You can just take a stroll down the street or hop into an uber to a single location where you can walk to several others.

Sure, renting houses a stones throw from the ocean and enjoying the beach the few times you have before you're kicked out in May is pretty awesome... until you get one of those giant orange stickers. And... I'm not sure if you've recently visited, quite a few properties off Smith Hill have been renovated and are currently under renovation. You also typically get them for a full year around the same price you live off campus at URI from September to May. This gives students the option to live in the city and work during the summer if they choose without additional cost.

PC off-campus living is significantly nicer than it was even a decade ago. It is also safer. You are more likely to see a hipster with a small dog walking around than witness one of these supposed "shootings" I've seen other posters mention. Fun fact: someone got shot at in Eastward Look my freshmen year at URI. Idiots with guns are everywhere. Let's stay away from stereotyping city dwellers, it's silly.

I'm not sure if you guys have heard of Justine's or the Shelter, but, these are pretty massively popular bars that have recently popped up in Olneyville Square. Or Ogie's Trailer Park up the street on Broadway. Imagine sending someone to Olneyville square to get a beer 15 years ago? Areas of Smith Hill are still in need of some love, but Providence in general is a much better environment for student life than Kingston... and it continues to improve. It's really no comparison to me at this point, though this is entirely a matter of opinion. I know students at both universities and I'm still young enough to be around what's actually going on. I also know that many RIC students have started to choose living off Smith Hill next to PC for the added social benefits. Take that as whatever you'd like.

People will always have their own opinions on what is or is not "better," but, the idea that Providence sucks and Kingston is a great college town has to go. It's a mediocre college town compared to, say, State College, PA. Providence has more to offer in many, many ways. When it comes to recruiting local kids (anyone for that matter) that is a massively relevant factor. I think the idea of what we are recruiting against needs to be restructured. Young people love Providence.
I can't read this whole thread right now. But I live in Providence and have lived in Providence on-and-off nearly my whole life. I am also not 30 yet. Is Ogie's trailer across from Wiggin village better than Coast Guard house across from the Atlantic ocean? Interesting taste.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

You guys are too funny, you realize we live in Rhode Island, right?
One of the beautiful things about this great state is the proximity to everything.
A kid can go to PC and easily get to the beach, just like said kid who goes to URI can easily get to the city.
I don't think PC is losing recruits to URI because it is a 20 minute ride to the beach instead of a 45 minute one, and vice versa.
Besides, 99% of the kids who choose a school are choosing them for basketball-related events first and foremost.
How are the facilities? How are the perks? How is the coach? How is the roster? Will I play? Can I get to the NBA? How is the conference? Can my family get there? Am I on TV? Nike or Adidas?
Cole isn't going to pick URI because of it's shorter ride to Narragansett beach, just like he won't choose PC because of it's proximity to Providence Place Mall.
Just sayin' :D
4 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:

I can't read this whole thread right now. But I live in Providence and have lived in Providence on-and-off nearly my whole life. I am also not 30 yet. Is Ogie's trailer across from Wiggin village better than Coast Guard house across from the Atlantic ocean? Interesting taste.

Welcome to Friartown....

1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I can't read this whole thread right now. But I live in Providence and have lived in Providence on-and-off nearly my whole life. I am also not 30 yet. Is Ogie's trailer across from Wiggin village better than Coast Guard house across from the Atlantic ocean? Interesting taste.
You guys, like I've mentioned several times already, are seriously homers. Nobody said what's "better." I didn't say what's "better." YOU are trying to say what's better! That's my Goddamn point! The posts on this board are exceedingly closed-minded.

Why is this hard to understand? My point in comments I made on this post are not to illustrate that URI is a bad place to be. I love URI. The point is that if you guys decided to look outside the URI bubble into reality, you'd have a much better understanding that NOT EVERYONE SEES THINGS THROUGH THAT VERY SPECIFIC LENS! And because of that, you must do your best to understand why SOMEONE ELSE may gravitate towards something you don't necessarily like. City life over college town life being one of them.

I had enough of seeing posts attempting to slander Providence as a city. You don't have to like Providence College (despite how juvenile I think disliking a school over being "rival" may be) but to assert that URI is a clearly superior place to spend your time as a college student is shortsighted... AT BEST. Providence is a fantastic city.

I'm not sure why sharing that opinion is so groundbreaking here... but I'm glad it is? Maybe it took rattling the cage a little for some people here to realize that there are several benefits over being in the city than being at URI.

Now, when it comes to taste... First, who said that's where I go? Who said that's what I like? I didn't. That's merely you making assumptions. So lay down the sword of judgement, pal. Second, what makes you so high and mighty to determine that the Coast Guard house is guaranteed to be a better experience than Ogie's? Elitist much, bro? The point I was making by bringing up those places was that areas of Providence that have been neglected in the past are now in resurgence. That's attractive to some people. Does subsidized housing scare you? Are all people from subsidized housing below you? Is that why you're mentioning Wiggin Village? Sorry, just trying to figure out your train of thought there.

I've done my best to wrap my posts back around to Swider and how the idea of Providence being a threat with them is beyond rational... but you guys really seem to enjoy focusing on small details that don't even address what I'm trying to say. It's like you'd all rather stick your fingers in your ears and go "LA LA LA LA LA" when somebody makes a valid point... rather than address what we, and our university, can do to ensure we stay ahead of other schools making due with what we have.

Now, let's start addressing the delusions.
theblueram wrote:Name one facility/program at your venerable PC that is better than URI.
First, nobody is venerating PC. I'm just not blindly slandering the city with antiquated opinions.
Second, if you don't have the ability to read and retain the several points in my previous posts on this thread... then it's obviously a waste of time trying to help you understand anything but what the mirror says back to you.
theblueram wrote:The Kingston Campus has 1,250 acres. pc has 105 acres. Not to mention that we have a Bay Campus, with a research vessel. Oh, and a nuclear reactor. We also have buildings in Providence for classes. I mean, my house sits on an acre in Narragansett. So pc's campus is like 100x my house. hah.
Yes, because we all know that when you commit to a university... you are now a slave to their campus. No leaving! You may only utilize their campus lands and nothing else! UMass must be so much better than URI because it has roughly 300 more acres of campus. What a groundbreaking way to judge college life, where'd you figure out this very scientific method? Did you learn it at URI? HAHA!!!! I kid, I kid.

I also forgot how often undergraduates at the Kingston campus make use of the Bay Campus and Alton Jones campuses. Oh yeah, that's right, because they GENERALLY DON'T. What's located at the Bay Campus? The GRADUATE school of oceanography. Very beneficial for the incoming freshmen basketball recruit, AMIRITE!?!? Or all those summer environmental workshops they attend at Alton Jones. Wait, you're telling me the average student at URI gets no use out of that either? WELL DARN!
DeanDome88 wrote:URI has never had a problem attracting applicants. Wonder why that is? It is really not a hard sell at all. Do you care to reference where you are getting your facts from?
First, I must address that never once did I claim my opinions as fact. So, no, I do not care to reference where I'm getting them from. Thanks for asking, though.

Other than that, you're right. "Not a hard sell" is our M.O. That's why UMass comes to town and chants "safety school." Despite having a "lot of applicants," URI also has some terrible measurable student-life statistics in comparison to other universities. 77% acceptance rate. Nationally this floats closer to 60-70% in comparable state universities; UMass is 60%, UConn is 53%. We have a 61% graduation rate. Nationally, in comparable state universities, you're looking at 70% or more; UConn: 83%, UMass: 76%, UNH: 77%. Retention rate is 83% which is up considerably from the low 70s when I was a freshmen... but still lacking in comparison to other New England state universities. UConn: 92%, UMass: 91%, UNH: 86%. This is just comparing us to similar universities right in our own back yard. The only major public university in New England that our numbers consistently beat is UMaine. Oh joy. I love being in conversations with UMaine!

Oh, by the way, my source for all that info was collegeboard.com. Go look at it yourself if you "care to see my references." :lol:

Now you guys REALLY don't want me to pull the numbers putting PC next to URI... that's when this entirely experience based, opinion-laden "student life" crap some of you are preaching will go out the window very, very quickly.
theblueram wrote:Most urban kids would be better off at a non inner city school. I know I was once I left NYC and came to Rhode Island.
If I've ever seen a gross generalization based entirely off nothing but opinion... Well............. here it is, folks.
Iggy1979 wrote:Phil Kydd almost changed his mind when he saw cows on 138.
Thank you for this. Great example of what I'm trying to illustrate. Familiarity and comfort. That shit is a cold wake-up call if you aren't into the country living lifestyle.

For those of you who visit campus with any frequency, or have ACTUALLY been a part of student life in the last decade or so... Have you ever noticed the large concentration of minority students that typically gather at the Rhody Market many nights of the week? It's because the predominantly white campus life makes them uncomfortable and partitioned. A good friend of mine, while we were at school, started hosting university sponsored on-campus parties because of it. Now, while being under the microscope of the student-athlete life... imagine how much worse that feeling of isolation could be magnified. Many of these kids feel like they have no escape while on campus at URI. Maybe some of you should go have a conversation with one of them instead of trying to put their experience in your own convenient little box built in the 1950s.
rjsuperfly66 wrote:You guys are too funny, you realize we live in Rhode Island, right?
One of the beautiful things about this great state is the proximity to everything.
A kid can go to PC and easily get to the beach, just like said kid who goes to URI can easily get to the city.
I don't think PC is losing recruits to URI because it is a 20 minute ride to the beach instead of a 45 minute one, and vice versa.
Besides, 99% of the kids who choose a school are choosing them for basketball-related events first and foremost.
How are the facilities? How are the perks? How is the coach? How is the roster? Will I play? Can I get to the NBA? How is the conference? Can my family get there? Am I on TV? Nike or Adidas?
Cole isn't going to pick URI because of it's shorter ride to Narragansett beach, just like he won't choose PC because of it's proximity to Providence Place Mall.
Just sayin' :D
You are 100% correct!!! What will help determine his choice, though, is how comfortable he feels on any particular campus. That's taking the totality of the recruiting situation into account; all the factors you mentioned and some more. Location being one of them! But, being local, I think you're right that choosing between two local schools will be much more based on the factors you mentioned than anything else. The reason I've spent the time illustrating what I have is because there seems to be a general consensus on this board that Providence is some trashy-ass garbage city and it would make no sense to consider being there, living there, or especially going there for college. That's just not the reality of our recruiting situation -- even if it once was.
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Welcome to Friartown....
HAHAHA! Man, the ignorance is palpable. :lol: :lol: :roll:
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Funny thing is my post 4-5 days ago that seemed to kicked off this latest derailment was actually ment for another thread. I screwed up posting it here and did not bother editing and putting it in the correct one.

Mike PC marketing department is paying you I hope?

TO quote myself from 2 days ago.
EGram wrote:It comes down to personal preference. No needs to write a novel about it.

Many kids at 17-20 don't even realize what kind of school they want to be in until they try a couple anyways. I went to URI initially found out I did not care for a rural campus and eventually found my way to a big city private school. My sister did the exact opposite. It just comes down to each individual person.

No needs to write a novel about it.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

excorcistr.jpg
excorcistr.jpg (14.48 KiB) Viewed 4199 times
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please make it stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Sorry but the part about being a "safety school" stuck in my craw now that I read it.

It's BS to complain URI is not selective enough. It's a state school it should be about giving people the opportunity to get a high quality education. Don't even get me started on supposedly "Christian" schools like PC and BC getting super selective.

Kids in my HS graduating class were 90% the type who could get into most decent schools and money was not an issue. In a class of 140 about 30 went to URI and only 1 went to PC (Joe Hasset's daughter). Clearly URI has some appeal to prospective students and the school has only gotten more attractive since I attended 10 years ago.
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

EGram wrote:Sorry but the part about being a "safety school" stuck in my craw now that I read it.

It's BS to complain URI is not selective enough. It's a state school it should be about giving people the opportunity to get a high quality education. Don't even get me started on supposedly "Christian" schools like PC and BC getting super selective.

Kids in my HS graduating class were 90% the type who could get into most decent schools and money was not an issue. In a class of 140 about 30 went to URI and only 1 went to PC (Joe Hasset's daughter). Clearly URI has some appeal to prospective students and the school has only gotten more attractive since I attended 10 years ago.
admissions standards are the easy to point to low hanging fruit they turn to when they have nothing else...mostly brought on by the Catholic superiority mindset

it completely ignores the fact that as a public state university, URI is required to have easier admission standards to cater to the larger population.

Its funny, when they take the time to look at individual focuses of learning they see URI ranks near the top and very favorably in most...

The Oceanography, Pharmacy/Biotech, Agriculture and Engineering schools are top notch
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

EGram wrote:No needs to write a novel about it.
If that's a novel to you... then it would explain why my opinions are ruffling your feathers. Go read a book. Get a different perspective. Why are you on a message board if all you want is to see shortsighted ideas that corroborate your own thoughts. Oh, wait, I just answered my own question!

Hilarious that members of this board attempt to be elitist based on post frequency or post length. What are you, seven years old? We are here to exchange ideas. If you don't like mine and can't be mature enough to address it in that manner, skim past and save us all the grief.
EGram wrote:It's BS to complain URI is not selective enough. It's a state school it should be about giving people the opportunity to get a high quality education. Don't even get me started on supposedly "Christian" schools like PC and BC getting super selective.
Someone on this board deducting a conclusion that I did not propose? NEVER!

I didn't say URI isn't selective enough. Not once. I merely pulled some statistics that PROVE that this university doesn't have such a great campus life as you all seem to believe so whole-heartedly. If you think URI's model is to provide the people of our state a high quality education... riddle me this: Why is the out-of-state enrollment rate so high? It would NEVER be because of tuition, would it? No, NEVER! The public college system isn't a business at all!

Give me a break, Social Justice Sally. If the people of Rhode Island and its state university cared about providing high quality education to people in our state then Raimondo's plan to give qualifying RI students free college education would have been met with zero resistance. That wasn't the case, now, was it?

I also pulled statistics only from other New England state universities SPECIFICALLY to avoid the whiny Catholic school argument like yours. So why are you bringing that into this? It's a moot point.
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:admissions standards are the easy to point to low hanging fruit they turn to when they have nothing else...

it completely ignores the fact that as a public state university, URI is required to have easier admission standards to cater to the larger population.
Low hanging fruit? Where's any low hanging fruit statistic that you can pull that backs any of your opinions? Don't worry, I'll wait. In fact, I'll send you a basket to collect all those fruits.

It ignores the fact URI is a public state university? Hold on, what? I just compared URI to other state universities in New England -- our best frame of reference. Our numbers lack behind theirs in nearly every measurable statistic. Remind me again how that ignores URI is a public university?

I want you to pull anything factual that shows URI is required to have easier admission standards than UMass and UConn. And, if you do, I want you to tell me who is requiring it if it isn't their own policies in attempt to generate more tuition revenue. Come on, go grab that fruit, buddy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

in-living-color-season-3--20050526020741099-000.jpg
The next poster to not post on Swider, gets a date with this person!
4 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Saying URI has it in spades over PC is vague and cliche. I assumed it wouldn't be acknowledged. You brought up Ogie's. I made a 1 to 1 comparison.

Is it elitist if I know the name of that village off the top of my head?

I am a Providence resident. Have been.
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

rodfromcranston wrote:in-living-color-season-3--20050526020741099-000.jpg

The next poster to not post on Swider, gets a date with this person!
Lol Rod

If a mod wants to move this discussion to its own thread, I'm not opposed to it. I'm not trying to thread hijack but it's 100% relevant to recognize and discuss the challenges we have ahead for recruiting in our own backyard. And I'm not going to just let it die because the 'status quo' disagrees with me, either.

Sorry if that disrupts the cyclical information-less discussion that was going on here before. *shrug*

There's a very select handful of people that bring any real information to these threads... so the concept of 'de-railing' them with a discussion that invokes thought doesn't bother me that much. Sorry TruePoint.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Maybe the discussion about the meaning of admissions statistics is interesting in its own right, but it certainly is not relevant to recruiting basketball players. If I had more time today, I'd parse out all the OT posts in this thread, but that isn't going to happen right now. Maybe cleaning up this thread can be a goal for the future (dream big, folks!), but for now let's just agree to disagree and limit the discussion to Cole and his recruitment.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Yay!!!!!!!
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:Maybe the discussion about the meaning of admissions statistics is interesting in its own right, but it certainly is not relevant to recruiting basketball players. If I had more time today, I'd parse out all the OT posts in this thread, but that isn't going to happen right now. Maybe cleaning up this thread can be a goal for the future (dream big, folks!), but for now let's just agree to disagree and limit the discussion to Cole and his recruitment.
The stats and info I've drawn from are simply large-scale illustrations about how campus life at URI isn't as peachy as some would lead on -- which ties back to the idea of URI being a clear better choice than PC because the indisputably beautiful URI campus. So it's totally relevant going back to understanding challenges to sign Swider... but your point is duly noted. The explanation went pretty far down the rabbit hole. I wish that weren't necessary, but I digress.

I will agree to disagree out of respect for you moderating this forum. I can only imagine how much fun that must be. :lol:

---------

Luke Murray has apparently made a pretty strong impression on this kid. He talked about it in a video released on scout.com last Friday. Does anyone know the last time we had someone in to see/visit him? It's slightly disheartening to see a former recruiter at URI showing strong interest while we seem to flounder on local prospects.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Swider's List of all OFFERS:
Florida
Purdue
Texas
Indiana
Wake Forest
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Villanova
Miami
UCONN
Xavier
Seton Hall
George Washington
Rhode Island
Boston College
Creighton
DePaul
New Hampshire
PC
Rutgers
St. Louis
UMASS

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... bl-i-recap

New England's Sneaker Circuit Stats Leaders
Points Per Game
1. Cole Swider, BABC (EYBL) 21.8
2. Sidney Wilson, New Heights (UAA) 19.7
3. Simi Shittu, CIA Bounce (EYBL) 18.8
4. Jared Simmons, CT Basketball Club (UAA) 18.0
5t. Alex Rivera, Rivals (Adidas) 16.8
5t. Jakigh Dottin, BABC (EYBL) 16.8
7t. Cormac Ryan, RENS (EYBL) 16.5
7t. AJ Reeves, Rivals (Adidas) 16.5
9t. Dana Tate, Expressions (EYBL) 14.8
9t. Anthony Nelson, Lightning (EYBL) 14.8
11. Akok Akok, Rivals (Adidas) 14.3
12. Eric Ayala, We-R1 (UAA) 13.3
13. Filip Petrusev, CT Basketball Club (UAA) 13.0
14. Marcus Zegarowski, Expressions (EYBL) 11.8
15. David Duke, Rivals (Adidas) 10.5

Rebounds Per Game
1. Simi Shittu, CIA Bounce (EYBL) 12.5
2. Cole Swider, BABC (EYBL) 8.5
3. Filip Petrusev, CT Basketball Club (UAA) 8.0
4. Eric Ayala, We-R1 (UAA) 7.7
5. Jakigh Dottin, BABC (EYBL) 7.5
6t. Sidney Wilson, New Heights (UAA) 7.3
6t. Dimon Carrigan, BABC (EYBL) 7.3
8. Philmon Gebrewhit, Expressions (EYBL) 5.8
9. Dana Tate, Expressions (EYBL) 5.3
10. Chris Doherty, NE Playaz (Adidas) 5.0

Assists Per Game
1. Jaecee Martin, CT Basketball Club (UAA) 6.3
2. Jakigh Dottin, BABC (EYBL) 4.5
3t. Shandon Brown, BABC (EYBL) 4.0
3t. Jimmy Yfantopulos, Rivals (Adidas) 4.0
5. Simi Shittu, CIA Bounce (EYBL) 3.5

Blocks Per Game
1. Akok Akok, Rivals (Adidas) 5.5
2. Dimon Carrigan, BABC (EYBL) 4.0
3. Filip Petrusev, CT Basketball Club (UAA) 3.0
4. Simi Shittu, CIA Bounce (EYBL) 1.8
5. Sid Wilson, New Heights (UAA) 1.7

3-Point Field Goal %
1. Cole Swider, BABC (EYBL) 75% (12-16)
2. AJ Reeves, Rivals (Adidas) 57% (8-14)
3. Akok Akok, Rivals (Adidas) 55% (12-22)
4. Nate Laszewski, NE Playaz (Adidas) 50% (5-10)
5. Jared Simmons, CT Basketball Club (UAA) 46% (12-26)
6. Alex Rivera, Rivals (Adidas ) 45% (19-42)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

75% from 3...possibly the best high school shooter I've ever seen.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

DeanDome88 wrote:URI has never had a problem attracting applicants. Wonder why that is? It is really not a hard sell at all. Do you care to reference where you are getting your facts from?
First, I must address that never once did I claim my opinions as fact. So, no, I do not care to reference where I'm getting them from. Thanks for asking, though.

Fact is, life is too short.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

"The Friartown bus was seen parked outside the Swider residence for a couple hours on a Friday last month"

Source: Providence College recruiting update; 05/01/17
"Big East Coast Bias"
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Interesting, Creighton, no URI. I guess Preston at least has this little NE/RI connection
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote:

Interesting, Creighton, no URI. I guess Preston at least has this little NE/RI connection
Oh well, big miss....you'll see.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote:

Luke Murray too.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry to read Swider's new list.
Four BE teams, 2 Big 10, and an ACC.
This kid is special, and would have been
a great addition.
May 3rd and we're already out.....
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x