'18 RI SG Cole Swider (Villanova Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

He was being recruited by Carr from what I heard...
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

He would've been a great addition to our program.
He would've fit a specific area of need and would've gotten plenty of playing time.

We just can't get to first base with talented local kids.
Oh well, we've got to keep moving forward. Wish him well, I hope he ends up with Archie Miller.

Speaking of which, why can't we get a game with IU, if not a home and home maybe a 2 for 1, or a neutral court match-up?
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I still think he ends up at PC. Like most kids who grow up in RI, he's a PC fan and loves Cooley.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

BABC kids......aren't coming here. If we get one, it would be a huge surprise.

Swider could be shooting higher than PC.....but if they get him and Reeves too, then PC moves into the top third of the BE along with Villanova and Xavier.

Indiana would be a great addition to the OOC schedule......I would take a home and home with ours at Mohegan, or a 2 for 1.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Billyboy78 wrote:75% from 3...possibly the best high school shooter I've ever seen.
Then you never saw Jimmy Chitwood.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Just a comment on Indiana...I doubt we'll get them, but Dayton might.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

rambone 78 wrote:Just a comment on Indiana...I doubt we'll get them, but Dayton might.
I agree with you, but I hope we at least try.
If you don't ask for a sales order you'll never get one.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Please do not let Cole Swider enroll at PC
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

reef, should we kidnap him? Ha ha
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Last week...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I heard they already gave him a key to their Practice Facility :lol:
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

"Like Xavier, Providence has been recruiting Swider for a long time. Because of their location Swider says he's been by the Friar's campus more than any of the other schools on the list"

"They want me to be the hometown hero," Swider said. "So obviously, if I stay home its going to be Providence so that's the only school even on my list so that's the draw there"

Nice
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Ugh! Just like the Murphys, we don't even get a sniff
from a local player.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod....no chance at Swider....this shouldn't be any surprise considering that Dan has nothing to do with Papile.

BABC kids need not apply, so to speak.....in these cases offers to them aren't worth the time of day.

Now of course we've got some decent chances to land EE's......

Hate to say it, but PC's got a real shot at Swider.....in the next few months we'll be seeing more and more verbals.....
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Its very disappointing in the fact that his comment is basically the view of kids in the state, good players or not. Whether or not you want to believe it, for whatever reason our staff has absolutely no connection with anyone locally. None. PC is the only team to most. Not sure how much they reach out. Yes, there are very few players in RI , but alot in NE, a lot And RI has had more in recent years. We don't have any connection potentially leading to pipeline. Maybe Boswell will help in that aspect. Hopefully. Yes, great or good players come from everywhere, and more often than not certainly outside of RI. But with that being said, it would be nice to at least have a minimal connection and at least be mentioned in the least with anyone in the state or at least the region. . Its wonderful to be involved with 2 stars or occasionally 3 stars in FLA or DC. Yes this young man is approaching a 5 star, so typically we would have no shot at all, but with a local connection, you never know. PC is certainly not on the level of other schools he and Duke are involved with. Yes, a better conference, but their main connection is being local and actually working hard , reaching out to local kids and people.. Love our 2 stars, yes we have absolutely no history, but you also have to check your ego at the door.
Last edited by giovanni 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We're the University of Rhode Island, the state school.

Yes Providence should have a shot at all local kids, but I mean with our coach / Ryan Center / State U / location, we should at least have a chance at SOME of these kids.

Doesn't mean we should get all of them, but for us to not even be on a list is troubling.
2 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

URI fans: "Of course we have no chance at landing this kid...but why aren't we spending more time recruiting him anyway so our name gets listed among 8 other schools on some recruiting website!"
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

giovanni wrote:Its very disappointing in the fact that his comment is basically the view of kids in the state, good players or not. Whether or not you want to believe it, for whatever reason our staff has absolutely no connection with anyone locally. None. PC is the only team to most. Not sure how much they reach out. Yes, there are very few players in RI , but alot in NE, a lot And RI has had more in recent years. We don't have any connection potentially leading to pipeline. Maybe Boswell will help in that aspect. Hopefully. Yes, great or good players come from everywhere, and more often than not certainly outside of RI. But with that being said, it would be nice to at least have a minimal connection and at least be mentioned in the least with anyone in the state or at least the region. . Its wonderful to be involved with 2 stars or occasionally 3 stars in FLA or DC. Yes this young man is approaching a 5 star, so typically we would have no shot at all, but with a local connection, you never know. PC is certainly not on the level of other schools he and Duke are involved with. Yes, a better conference, but their main connection is being local and actually working hard , reaching out to local kids and people.. Love our 2 stars, yes we have absolutely no history, but you also have to check your ego at the door.
You can say two stars as many times as possible in one post, but that's not the caliber of player we have on our team
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

People on this board act like budgets and recruiting rankings matter more than games.

I am completely deferential to DH Cox and ARD. Talking local? look at the fact DH has had PMurph and ARD on the staff! Hes not tone deaf. He puts alums on staff and we all swoon.

Then the guys we have? IDK they were a few bounces of the ball or a decision away from the Sweet Sixteen.

I really think this program has only just begun its ascent. Past few years and this year will seem like distant memories I bet in Fatts senior year.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Fatts and Dowtin are going to be great together by 2018......we are all set with those 2, at the 1 and 2 positions.....

Add Cyril....and we have three fifths of a great starting five.

The other 2 positions are the big question marks. Hopefully those questions will be answered with the 2018 class.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea that's what I'm thinking Bone. Maybe a Tertsea and a stud SF/wing type.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I watched Swiders highlights he has a nice outside shot for a guy his size
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
giovanni wrote:Its very disappointing in the fact that his comment is basically the view of kids in the state, good players or not. Whether or not you want to believe it, for whatever reason our staff has absolutely no connection with anyone locally. None. PC is the only team to most. Not sure how much they reach out. Yes, there are very few players in RI , but alot in NE, a lot And RI has had more in recent years. We don't have any connection potentially leading to pipeline. Maybe Boswell will help in that aspect. Hopefully. Yes, great or good players come from everywhere, and more often than not certainly outside of RI. But with that being said, it would be nice to at least have a minimal connection and at least be mentioned in the least with anyone in the state or at least the region. . Its wonderful to be involved with 2 stars or occasionally 3 stars in FLA or DC. Yes this young man is approaching a 5 star, so typically we would have no shot at all, but with a local connection, you never know. PC is certainly not on the level of other schools he and Duke are involved with. Yes, a better conference, but their main connection is being local and actually working hard , reaching out to local kids and people.. Love our 2 stars, yes we have absolutely no history, but you also have to check your ego at the door.
You can say two stars as many times as possible in one post, but that's not the caliber of player we have on our team
You say we have a team of 2 star and occasionally a 3 star but our team now is made of predominately of 3 star and 4 star players. Those we are recruiting for 2018 and 2019 are predominately 3 star and 4 star players - not 2 star players. Highest rated players we have been associated with in Hurley's era and since the Harrick days.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
You say we have a team of 2 star and occasionally a 3 star but our team now is made of predominately of 3 star and 4 star players. Those we are recruiting for 2018 and 2019 are predominately 3 star and 4 star players - not 2 star players. The players we are targeting now are the highest overall rated players we have been associated with in Hurley's era and since the Harrick days. Of course we need to land them, I would think that goes without saying, but the caliber of player we are recruiting continues to climb, especially since the first 3 years of DH.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This weekend completed the 3rd of 4 sessions for the Nike EYBL AAU. The Final Session will be May 27-28 in Los Angeles.
The Top 24 Teams will play in the National Championship July 12-16 in South Carolina

BABC and Expressions are both on the edge of the 24 teams. Both are in the same division this year, the "D" Division and they currently have identical 7-5 records. The Top 5 teams in each of the 4 divisions automatically go to the Final 24 giving 20 of the 24 teams. The last 4 teams are selected based on their performance - wild card teams if you will. Right now in the D Division:
1. Mokan Elite 9-3
2. Brad Beal Elite 9-3
3. Team Penny 8-4
4. Team Takeover 8-4
5. BABC 7-5
5. Expressions Elite 7-5

BABC did not have a good past weekend going 1-3. Swider was not his typical self:
in 4 games this weekend Swider was only 9-34 on 3PG's or 26%. He was 11-12 on FTs. 4.5 rebounds per game, 17 points per game
BABC lost to Team Penny 67-61, lost to Boo Williams 70-59, beat Nike Team Florida 77-74 and lost to CP3 73-68.

Expressions went 2-2 for the weekend defeating Georgia Stars 86-76, lost to CP3 88-66, beat E1T1 85-75 and got pummeled by Nike South Beach All Stars 80-49.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cole Swider is an offensive explosion waiting to happen
BABC was another one of my favorite players and teams to watch. The Massachusetts-based club has a couple of small guards in Maurice Works and Jakigh Dottin that are athletic and physical in all of the ways that I love on the floor — never backing down from anyone. But Cole Swider is the prize here. Not only is the 6-8 stretch-four a knockdown 3-point shooter that can create off of the bounce, but he’s also a fiery competitor who chirps after every made 3.
He went for 28 and nine in the first game I saw against an athletic Georgia Stars team led by consensus top-50 forward Jairus Hamilton despite only hitting 3 of 9 from deep. Later in the weekend, Swider dropped his third 30-plus point game of the 16-game EYBL run against another big, athletic front line in MOKAN Elite — led by Jontay Porter, Malik Hall and Roman Wilson. Swider’s tough inside with a built frame for his age, has the ability to attack closeouts at the 3-point line and obviously has a knockdown shot from distance.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... 7rut0gfjr5
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cole Swider | BABC (MA)
LA Stats: 19.3 PPG (29-51 FG 57%), 8.8 RPG, 1.5 SPG
Game 1: 28 PTS, 7 REB, 1 AST, 1 STL
Game 2: 15 PTS, 9 REB, 3 AST
Game 3: 4 PTS, 7 REB, 1 STL
Game 4: 30 PTS, 12 REB, 1 STL
BABC needed a big session four in order to stay in Peach Jam contention, and boy did Cole Swider deliver. The 6-foot-8 junior put together his best session since the opening circuit stop, averaging 19.3 points while leading head coach Leo Papile and company to a 3-1 showing. Swider does a little bit of everything for BABC, but his shooting is what separates him from the pack. He can be streaky, but he rarely has a bad game due to his growing versatility. His teammates love playing with him, and that cohesion and chemistry should go a long ways for the defensive-minded squad from Boston. Swider plays with a passion and a fire that helps bring his game to another level, and he was firing on all cylinders out west.

http://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/show/798907
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Swider has Duke written all over him. Sorry PC.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Swider has Duke written all over him. Sorry PC.
I'd love for him to go to Duke. The other current super athlete from Portsmouth, Mary Kate McGuire, has already committed to Duke. If you haven't heard of her, she is one of the top high school soccer players in the country, member of the junior national team and possibly a future Olympian. Two kids from Portsmouth, Rhode Island representing Duke would be awesome.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rambone 78 wrote:Swider has Duke written all over him. Sorry PC.
Why sorry? This really isn't a surprise to anyone.
Most connected PC fans have known Swider was a real outside-chance.
And I think they are ok with that, because fans are really high on Reeves (#73) and Duke (#74) as their top prospects.
Losing on them plus Swider would hurt, but I think the high-potential of landing 1, and possibly both of those other players, has made it an easier pill to swallow.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Duke offered today! That's his dream school. I now assume that's where he'll be going.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Duke offered today! That's his dream school. I now assume that's where he'll be going.
He'll end up just like another RI kid who went there.

Go for the name of the school, get recruited over : barely play, then transfer.
1 x
Go Rhody
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Murphy redux.
Go for the biggest name school,
sit for a couple of years.
Transfer to another big name school.
Collect splinters sitting on their bench.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yep splinter city likely
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I wish the young Rhode Islander well.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Have you guys seen him play?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Nobody said the kid can't play. Their point is the players going to Duke these days are lottery picks and 1st round NBA picks. Unless Swider is equal to Brandon Ingram, Justice Winslow, Jabari Parker, and others (like Jayson Tatum this year).

You nor he should feel offended by others who would question a decision by him to commit to Duke in the future. That's all.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He would be a 4 year guy there. He might not play a lot as a freshman, but I would think as he gets stronger and his game develops, he'd play quite a bit. We are talking about a 4 star prospect here. Academics also come into play . You can't discount the value of a Duke education.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Swider made 3rd Team All EYBL following the 4 sessions this Spring. He carried BABC this season to be the only EYBL Team that has qualified for the Final Tournament in every year of it's existence. Quite an achievement for BABC.

Swider is putting up strong numbers against the best upcoming Seniors in the Country. In July, he will perform with BABC against the Top 23 other EYBL Teams in a 4 Divison Pool Format followed by Single Elimination. He will be on stage in front of the Elite Head Coaches in the Country and all the rest too. Coach K will have a front row seat as always evaluating his prospects.

I like Swider's chances because of his height and shooting touch, plus how he has fared against the nation's best this Spring.

Cole Swider | BABC (MA)
Games Played: 16
Team Record: 10-6
Stats: 19.4 PPG, 49% FG, 82.6 % FT, 42-120 for 35% on 3PT, 6.3 RPG, 1.6 SPG
A player who not only buys into the BABC team concept but thrives within it, Cole Swider used his years of playing in the system to have himself quite the productive spring. Swider excels at multiple areas on the offensive end, but his bread and butter is his shooting stroke. Lucky for BABC, Swider has developed into such a talented scorer, and when he was needed, he answered the bell each time; just look at his 37-point performance against Team Takeover. After a roller-coaster regular season in the win-loss column, look for Swider to put his 10-6 squad on his back come July.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... duke-offer

http://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/s ... id=3215974
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

narrows to 4 schools........

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

People really got on Dan and staff when we didn't make Swider's top 8. Do attitudes change now that it's clear he wanted nothing to do with staying close to home?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Interesting how Duke just swoops in at the last minute and becomes a finalist.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:People really got on Dan and staff when we didn't make Swider's top 8. Do attitudes change now that it's clear he wanted nothing to do with staying close to home?
If you don't think he was considering PC, you're wrong.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PC was his fall back plan if none of the programs he really wanted to go to offered, nothing more. He wanted nothing to do with staying around here. Dan was smart to hop out early when it was clear he wasn't interested, and PC bringing their bus and going nuts to try to get him when he wasn't interested just looks ridiculously desperate.
1 x
tooc
Jim Eitner

Unread post by tooc »

It's hard to keep kids in RI. It's all about the coach for the local schools. Once a kid visits a UNC, KU, even NCSU and sees those expansive campuses and facilities it's over. For the most part if your coach isn't charismatic or has a track record with pros (not L-Ville ones) they have no chance.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:People really got on Dan and staff when we didn't make Swider's top 8. Do attitudes change now that it's clear he wanted nothing to do with staying close to home?
If you don't think he was considering PC, you're wrong.
If you don't make the cut to 4 or 5, you really weren't a serious option.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:PC was his fall back plan if none of the programs he really wanted to go to offered, nothing more. He wanted nothing to do with staying around here. Dan was smart to hop out early when it was clear he wasn't interested, and PC bringing their bus and going nuts to try to get him when he wasn't interested just looks ridiculously desperate.
Say it's desperate but Cooley has been killing it on the trail in the last 12 months. The only way to consistently land big recruits is to shoot high. If you backed down every time you had to really battle for a top recruit, you'd win no one. Cooley casts a wide net among top recruits, it'd be very surprising if he didn't have one and possibly two of them verballed by September. Not landing Reeves (borderline Top 50) would be the disappointment in the class.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't know if desperate is the right word. Or rather, I don't think there is anything wrong with being unafraid to look desperate in recruiting. Shooters shoot and all that. Take your shot.

But in spirit, RR02 is correct. Whatever PC invested, they were investing it on the small chance that nothing materialized for Swider with the schools he was really aiming for. Anyone following him for the last year or so knew that was a very, very remote shot. Not saying it makes Cooley look bad or anything, but if we are being real then we have to acknowledge that as soon as the elite offers came rolling in PC was hanging around in case Swider got arrested for shoplifting or something. If I'm a PC fan, I'm fine with that. If I'm a URI fan, I'm fine with Hurley reading the tea leaves and not tossing any more recruiting chips onto the table.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011