'18 RI SG Cole Swider (Villanova Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
giovanni
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1206
Joined: 5 years ago
x 379

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby giovanni » 9 months ago

Iggy1979 wrote:Great post Ramster. As with Preston and Murray the perception with Cooley is not supported by facts.


Great post? Are you serious? Did a poor job? You think recruiting to PC is easy? Who the hell would ever want to go there when looking at these other schools. Beautiful campus? Beautiful city/surroundings? Beautiful facilities? Any recent history before he got there? Look at where the kids mentioned ended up. SYR, Louisville, Kansas, Villanova, Indiana, Maryland, FSU, AZ KY, Miami, Uconn, Iowa. Are you kidding me? How many kids have we landed? JT? How many kids have we been involved with? If you don't think relationships are crucial in recruiting, my guess is you have never been around the process or close. Relationships lead to the home visits that Iggy believes ends all . Iggy , you don't get an in a home visit as of coach of URI without connections, help or relationships,We are not Kansas or Kentucky. You can knock Preston if you like, the only thing I mentioned, is first of all, yes I wish he were here, and the fact , if he was, he definitely had some serious inroads in NE basketball, unlike anyone on our present staff. And NE basketball is every bit as good as anywhere in the nation, if you are not awaree and happens to be geographically close to URI. BTW, Creighton may not have any NE guys, yet, but it is also in Omaha and they do have a top 50 recruiting class with an 4 star from Kansas. Preston may have had a hand in that production.
2 x

giovanni
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1206
Joined: 5 years ago
x 379

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby giovanni » 9 months ago

Facts: I dislike PC at times as much as anyone.but i am not totally distorted in what actually happens either. Fact: 4 straight NCAA appearances. Fact: 2 NBA draft picks Fact: Beat us every year he has been there Fact: Will be one of best teams in BE next year , with most likely a 5th straight tournament. Fact: Top 50 recruiting class coming in. Fact: took a program in trouble to one of the top in BE.
2 x

User avatar
theblueram
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3079
Joined: 5 years ago
x 764

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby theblueram » 9 months ago

18 is going to be a year for recruits. And it's coming real soon. Gotta see some 4* recruits in that class for sure.
1 x

rambone 78
Frank Keaney
Posts: 10497
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1192

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby rambone 78 » 9 months ago

Gio, and PC lost their best recruiter not too long ago. I guess they've done a pretty good job since. 3 top 100's coming in, more than the A10 in TOTAL for this coming season....St. Louis has the only 2 with one a 5 star.

And they have plenty of money due to Fox and NCAAT appearances, and a new BB practice facility under construction.....and they play in a better league....

Like it or not, that's the facts. Yes it's hard to recruit to PC despite this, but Cooley is getting it done.

Dan Hurley still has to prove he can recruit well enough to get us to where PC is.....and without a lot of PC's advantages mentioned above.
2 x

Iggy1979
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3132
Joined: 5 years ago
x 484

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby Iggy1979 » 9 months ago

Geo: who are you arguing with? No one said most of things you're disputing
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."

User avatar
ace
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 5487
Joined: 5 years ago
x 931

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby ace » 9 months ago

And as competitive as coaches are, it almost always surprises me when one doesn't leave for a situation with way better resources. URI basketball would kill for the resources of a Big East school. Coaches know what the deal is at other schools and how programs are marketed and supported. URI's first step is to get on par with Dayton and VCU, even Saint Louis, in their conference. Always good to have long term goals, though.
2 x
“... playing for one another. We’re like a brotherhood. Everybody has each other’s back. If somebody’s down, we pick them up. If someone gets beat off the dribble, we step in. If somebody’s hot, we feed them the ball.” - Jeff Dowtin, 1/16/18

User avatar
Seawrightspostgame
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3061
Joined: 5 years ago
x 524

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby Seawrightspostgame » 9 months ago

I feel like this board is in a weird place. Used to be you knew where posters aligned and the battles that were fought.

:roll: :roll:
0 x

ramster
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 7595
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1261

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby ramster » 9 months ago

Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Great post Ramster. As with Preston and Murray the perception with Cooley is not supported by facts.


Now we are going to start using facts :o

RI is not a hotbed for high school/prep basketball.
Ramster provided the recent facts.
Think of the years back for PC from Pitino on and they didn't have any top RI players.
Think of the good URI teams and they only had Garrick from RI.
We also have the Barons which I discount because their father was the coach (and questionable that the teams were good).
You branch out to N.E. recruits and it doesnt get much better.
Most of the top RI recruits have gone to bigger programs. They don't preceive URI and PC in the same class.
The top recruits are looking for the best situation to help them get to the NBA.

There are some top RI recruits now so that has drawn everyone's focus.

There was a first team Big East player from RI this tear.


Billy,
You are right that Andrew Chrabascz was 1st team Big East and had a solid career at Butler, but I went back to the ESPN Recruiting page on him:
According to the page he was only offered by:
- Butler
- Canisius (that shrewd Jim Baron)
- Delaware
- Vermont
- UMASS (that shrewd Derrick Kellogg)
- Davidson
- St Bonaventure
It's been reported that Cooley offered him a walk on opportunity at PC, but no immediate scholarship

I saw Chrabascz play several times in AAU. I never thought he could have been a starter for PC or URI, not based on what I saw in about 4 games. I am not surprised that other High Major teams did not come calling.
But I have to give him a ton of credit. He became a much better shooter and defensive player than I ever would have guessed. He can hit from inside, from 5-10 feet very effectively and can also shoot the 3 ball quite well, especially for a big guy. I also say Bonzie Colson in AAU Ball and I would not have predicted his level of success, especially to make All ACC! Have to give a lot of credit to both of these players from RI - they work extremely hard at their games and both players are totally fearless.
Chrabascz did make an excellent choice for himself going to Butler - best school of the bunch that offered - by far.
I can't blame Cooley for not offering him a scholarship - given hindsight is 20-20.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... -chrabascz
0 x

User avatar
bigappleram
Sly Williams
Posts: 3977
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1266

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby bigappleram » 9 months ago

rambone 78 wrote:Rod, Dan would do well to reconsider the advice from this booster, who most insiders know very well for many years.

He needs all the help he can get, especially with this current crop of local players, most of whom are BABC kids.

If it's true that Dan doesn't have much cache with these local coaches, that isn't going to help him get the best talent he can.

Imagine if we had Jones, or Abu, or Chris Silva from SC who played a big part in their run to the FF this past season.


This is literally the most ridiculous thread going right now...i know said booster, very well, and I will leave recruiting to our head coach. And said booster, who i love, knows i would say this to his face. I just left our coach who told a crowd of 100 that the class of 18 is hugely important and where he replaces the stars we are losing. He is looking to fill a specific role with the 1 spot left for next season, and he seems confident he will find the person to play that role. Preference is JC.
3 x

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8711
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1189

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby Billyboy78 » 9 months ago

ramster wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Now we are going to start using facts :o

RI is not a hotbed for high school/prep basketball.
Ramster provided the recent facts.
Think of the years back for PC from Pitino on and they didn't have any top RI players.
Think of the good URI teams and they only had Garrick from RI.
We also have the Barons which I discount because their father was the coach (and questionable that the teams were good).
You branch out to N.E. recruits and it doesnt get much better.
Most of the top RI recruits have gone to bigger programs. They don't preceive URI and PC in the same class.
The top recruits are looking for the best situation to help them get to the NBA.

There are some top RI recruits now so that has drawn everyone's focus.

There was a first team Big East player from RI this tear.


Billy,
You are right that Andrew Chrabascz was 1st team Big East and had a solid career at Butler, but I went back to the ESPN Recruiting page on him:
According to the page he was only offered by:
- Butler
- Canisius (that shrewd Jim Baron)
- Delaware
- Vermont
- UMASS (that shrewd Derrick Kellogg)
- Davidson
- St Bonaventure
It's been reported that Cooley offered him a walk on opportunity at PC, but no immediate scholarship

I saw Chrabascz play several times in AAU. I never thought he could have been a starter for PC or URI, not based on what I saw in about 4 games. I am not surprised that other High Major teams did not come calling.
But I have to give him a ton of credit. He became a much better shooter and defensive player than I ever would have guessed. He can hit from inside, from 5-10 feet very effectively and can also shoot the 3 ball quite well, especially for a big guy. I also say Bonzie Colson in AAU Ball and I would not have predicted his level of success, especially to make All ACC! Have to give a lot of credit to both of these players from RI - they work extremely hard at their games and both players are totally fearless.
Chrabascz did make an excellent choice for himself going to Butler - best school of the bunch that offered - by far.
I can't blame Cooley for not offering him a scholarship - given hindsight is 20-20.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... -chrabascz

Brad Stevens saw what he had. Chris Herren had a lot to do with making Andrew a very good player.
0 x

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8711
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1189

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby Billyboy78 » 9 months ago

Ramster, check this out...
0 x

ramster
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 7595
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1261

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby ramster » 9 months ago

Rhody83 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Great post Ramster. As with Preston and Murray the perception with Cooley is not supported by facts.


Now we are going to start using facts :o

RI is not a hotbed for high school/prep basketball.
Ramster provided the recent facts.
Think of the years back for PC from Pitino on and they didn't have any top RI players.
Think of the good URI teams and they only had Garrick from RI.
We also have the Barons which I discount because their father was the coach (and questionable that the teams were good).
You branch out to N.E. recruits and it doesnt get much better.
Most of the top RI recruits have gone to bigger programs. They don't preceive URI and PC in the same class.
The top recruits are looking for the best situation to help them get to the NBA.

There are some top RI recruits now so that has drawn everyone's focus.


Gio and Rod,
I'll try to explain myself better.

The subject being discussed was how well Cooley recruits New England, how Cooley has an in with the AAU Coaches in New England, etc. This was as opposed to Hurley who does not recruit well in New England, and it was inferred that he really does not want to.
Therefore I looked back over the last 6 years for the Top 100 ESPN Players from New England just to relook at the top players from NE.
Cooley got Dunn and Ledo in 2012, Chukwu and then Makai-Langford this year after he dropped UCONN. Not a lot of success in 6 years, so to say he has built this great pipeline in New England has not really proven itself out, BUT I did say that it could happen this year, we don't know yet.

He has had a lot of near misses, he has been aggressive in his recruiting of NE Players, but not landed as many as I would have guessed.

He does recruit New England broader than Hurley

Also thought, I would expect Cooley to out recruit Hurley, he really should, and some of the reasons have been mentioned:
- The Big East is a better conference, ranked the 2nd best conference, sent 7 of 10 teams to the Dance this year
- More TV exposure
- Much more money in the Conference
- Cooley makes twice as much money as Hurley
- 12,000 fans vs 5000 fans per game
- Practice facility

We really should expect them to be equal, should we? But again, I was just looking back to see where the New England players went. He may produce the pipeline this year, time will tell.
I'll not say Cooley and Hurley are equal..........yet
0 x

ramster
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 7595
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1261

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby ramster » 9 months ago

Billyboy78 wrote:Ramster, check this out...


Wow, great video. Great story.
Interesting that Herren mentioned Andrew's name to Brad Stevens. Have to give a lot of credit to Stevens for being able to see Andrew competing at the Big East level when no other Big East Team offered.
Got to love players like Andrew who work so hard, polish their skills, learn new skills, and make the most and then some of their god given talents.
0 x

rhodywins
Michael Andersen
Posts: 67
Joined: 2 years ago
x 23

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby rhodywins » 9 months ago

Some are making it sound like the state of RI has been a bb hotbed. Right now may be the best we have ever been with some top Prep school and college kids looking at a possible pro future.
How many native RI'ers have played more than ten NBA games in the last fifty years? I know I may be missing a couple but I can only think of Garlick, Hassett, Barnes and Ernie D.
0 x

ramster
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 7595
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1261

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby ramster » 9 months ago

rhodywins wrote:Some are making it sound like the state of RI has been a bb hotbed. Right now may be the best we have ever been with some top Prep school and college kids looking at a possible pro future.
How many native RI'ers have played more than ten NBA games in the last fifty years? I know I may be missing a couple but I can only think of Garrick, Hassett, Barnes and Ernie D.


The only two I can think of are:
Ricky Ledo: played 28 total games
2013-14 season played 11 games with Dallas
2014-15 season played 5 games with Dallas and 12 games with NY

Erick Murphy: played 24 total games in 2013-14 season with Chicago Bulls
0 x

User avatar
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney
Posts: 13068
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1506

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby rodfromcranston » 9 months ago

So, playing in the NBA is the only mark of a good
college player?
I can think of endless collegiate players, who
were great and never played in the NBA.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.

User avatar
steviep123
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1007
Joined: 5 years ago
x 218

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby steviep123 » 9 months ago

ramster wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Ramster, check this out...


Wow, great video. Great story.
Interesting that Herren mentioned Andrew's name to Brad Stevens. Have to give a lot of credit to Stevens for being able to see Andrew competing at the Big East level when no other Big East Team offered.
Got to love players like Andrew who work so hard, polish their skills, learn new skills, and make the most and then some of their god given talents.


My one question on this quote. Was Butler even in the Big East yet? Butler left for the Big East after 1 year in the A10 in 2013. Stevens left to become the Celitics head coach in June 2013. It was more likely that Stevens and Herren were recruiting him to play in the A10 (or even possibly the previous conference). This does not take away his accomplishments, but rather raises Stevens'.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

User avatar
rjsuperfly66
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1697
Joined: 5 years ago
x 204

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby rjsuperfly66 » 9 months ago

On Cooley recruiting ...

PC did land Alpha Diallo last season, who while not a NE native, did play at Brewster which is one of the best prep schools in New England. I believe Diallo's commitment landed a long drought since Weyinmi Efejuku on Brewster players, and they had recruited quite a few in the Cooley era (Sampson, Graham, Mitchell, etc.). Now that he's subsequently landed MAL, that has given him 1 Brewster player in each of the last two seasons.

As for everything else, I don't think it's a surprise that Cooley has turned over several stones in New England and been rejected on numerous occasions. I think it would have been easily to give up recruiting New England after several marquee misses, but I think an underrated move from Cooley was bringing in assistant coaches like Jeff Battle and Ivan Thomas who have huge recruiting presences in VA and allowing him and Coach Blaney to focus on the New England/New York area.
0 x

Rhody83
ARD
Posts: 710
Joined: 2 years ago
x 271

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby Rhody83 » 9 months ago

giovanni wrote:Facts: I dislike PC at times as much as anyone.but i am not totally distorted in what actually happens either. Fact: 4 straight NCAA appearances. Fact: 2 NBA draft picks Fact: Beat us every year he has been there Fact: Will be one of best teams in BE next year , with most likely a 5th straight tournament. Fact: Top 50 recruiting class coming in. Fact: took a program in trouble to one of the top in BE.


A few questions:
1) How is it a fact they will be one of the best teams in BE next year?
2) How do you rate PC as one of the top programs in BE? What is the measurement - clearly not NCAA tournament results. I would put them behind at least Nova, Xavier, Butler & Creighton which wouldn't put them as one of the top programs in my opinion.

I do think Cooley has done a great job turning the program around. But they aren't a top program yet.
Two of their "tournament games" were playins (which didn't exist a few years ago). They lost both and didn't make the round of 64.
They have only won 1 NCAA tournament game.
The BE is a nothing like it use to be.
BE record under Cooley: 4-14, 9-9, 10-8, 11-7, 10-8, 10-8.
2 x

User avatar
woodennickel1
Kenny Green
Posts: 268
Joined: 5 years ago
x 69

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby woodennickel1 » 9 months ago

rodfromcranston wrote:As I've said before, we have a well known booster,
who is close friends with Leo Papile, head of BABC.
This booster also has good relationships with many NE
AAU coaches.
I've been there a few times when he's told Dan that he could help him.
Dan just looked at him, and asked,"How could you help me?"
The answer was,"Tell me what you need?'.
He was more or less dismissed, like some guy off the street,
instead of a significant cog in many URI chapters.
As far as anyone knows, none of this booster's actions over
many decades, has ever lead to one problem with the NCAA.
Nothing wrong about looking outside your normal sphere
of familiars, to help the program.

As for Cooley, he DID get four top 100 players from New England.
Ledo and Chukwu did sign an LOI with PC.
Also, look at the high quality players Cooley pursued.
He aims high, and no coach gets them all,
but if you shy away from the top players,
you'll never get one.
Cooley has significant players from CA, Tennessee, and casts
a wide recruiting net.


I am sure your friends intentions were good but I can understand Hurley being hesitant in that he did not know your friend . It is also Hurley's neck that is on the line especially when dealing with aau coaches who have a bad reputation which like 90% of them do. They are all out for something for themselves instead of what is best for the kid even Papile.
0 x

ramster
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 7595
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1261

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby ramster » 9 months ago

The subject about Cooley and New England Recruiting brought up was about Cooley having this great pipeline that included an "in" with AAU Organizations in New England, whereas Hurley does not recruit New England well.
He got 2 in 2012, but until he just got Ashton-Langford that "pipeline" has been pretty dry
Let's see how his pipeline does in 2018 - he does seem to have a lot of names popping up.........

2012 - Ricky Ledo DNP, Kris Dunn
2013 - None
2014 - Paschal Chukwu
2015 - None
2016 - None
2017 - Makai Ashton-Langford - UCONN then PC
0 x

User avatar
PCFriars
Frenchy Tomlin
Posts: 10
Joined: 10 months ago
x 18

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby PCFriars » 9 months ago

Rhody83 wrote:A few questions:
1) How is it a fact they will be one of the best teams in BE next year?
2) How do you rate PC as one of the top programs in BE? What is the measurement - clearly not NCAA tournament results. I would put them behind at least Nova, Xavier, Butler & Creighton which wouldn't put them as one of the top programs in my opinion.

I do think Cooley has done a great job turning the program around. But they aren't a top program yet.
Two of their "tournament games" were playins (which didn't exist a few years ago). They lost both and didn't make the round of 64.
They have only won 1 NCAA tournament game.
The BE is a nothing like it use to be.
BE record under Cooley: 4-14, 9-9, 10-8, 11-7, 10-8, 10-8.


If you're going to go out of your way to put down a program that is clearly ahead of you at the moment, at least be factually accurate. They have been in one play in game, not two.

Four straight NCAAs, a BE tournament championship, and no worse than 4th place in this current iteration of the conference that is perfectly suited for them. But sure, go ahead and diminish those accomplishments. Oh and 7 in a row.
0 x

User avatar
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney
Posts: 13068
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1506

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby rodfromcranston » 9 months ago

"I am sure your friends intentions were good but I can understand Hurley being hesitant in that he did not know your friend ."
Hurley knows him. Everybody at URI knows him.
So, Hurley shouldn't deal with AAU coaches, because some/most are sleezy?
Nobody would ever recruit anyone, if that were the case.
if you have someone who can open some doors to you, take advantage of it.
Nothing wrong with that.
The rest is up to Dan and staff.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.

User avatar
rjsuperfly66
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1697
Joined: 5 years ago
x 204

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby rjsuperfly66 » 9 months ago

Rhody83 wrote:
giovanni wrote:Facts: I dislike PC at times as much as anyone.but i am not totally distorted in what actually happens either. Fact: 4 straight NCAA appearances. Fact: 2 NBA draft picks Fact: Beat us every year he has been there Fact: Will be one of best teams in BE next year , with most likely a 5th straight tournament. Fact: Top 50 recruiting class coming in. Fact: took a program in trouble to one of the top in BE.


A few questions:
1) How is it a fact they will be one of the best teams in BE next year?
2) How do you rate PC as one of the top programs in BE? What is the measurement - clearly not NCAA tournament results. I would put them behind at least Nova, Xavier, Butler & Creighton which wouldn't put them as one of the top programs in my opinion.

I do think Cooley has done a great job turning the program around. But they aren't a top program yet.
Two of their "tournament games" were playins (which didn't exist a few years ago). They lost both and didn't make the round of 64.
They have only won 1 NCAA tournament game.
The BE is a nothing like it use to be.
BE record under Cooley: 4-14, 9-9, 10-8, 11-7, 10-8, 10-8.


At least fact check...
In 14, they were 11 seed and faced 6 seed UNC.
In 15 they were a 6 seed and faced 11 seed Dayton.
In 16, they were a 9 seed and faced 8 USC and 1 UNC.
And this year they were in a playin game vs USC as an 11 seed.
So no, 2 of their tournament games weren't playin games, just 1.
0 x

User avatar
steviep123
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1007
Joined: 5 years ago
x 218

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby steviep123 » 9 months ago

PCFriars wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:A few questions:
1) How is it a fact they will be one of the best teams in BE next year?
2) How do you rate PC as one of the top programs in BE? What is the measurement - clearly not NCAA tournament results. I would put them behind at least Nova, Xavier, Butler & Creighton which wouldn't put them as one of the top programs in my opinion.

I do think Cooley has done a great job turning the program around. But they aren't a top program yet.
Two of their "tournament games" were playins (which didn't exist a few years ago). They lost both and didn't make the round of 64.
They have only won 1 NCAA tournament game.
The BE is a nothing like it use to be.
BE record under Cooley: 4-14, 9-9, 10-8, 11-7, 10-8, 10-8.


If you're going to go out of your way to put down a program that is clearly ahead of you at the moment, at least be factually accurate. They have been in one play in game, not two.

Four straight NCAAs, a BE tournament championship, and no worse than 4th place in this current iteration of the conference that is perfectly suited for them. But sure, go ahead and diminish those accomplishments. Oh and 7 in a row.


Actually, it was two. Vs. Dayton 2 or 3 years ago and vs. USC this year. Rhody83 did have his facts correct.

Edit - I'm correcting myself. I thought the game vs. Dayton was the First Four because I thought it was in Dayton. A quick Google search tells me the game was in the round of 64 and in Columbus.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramfan85
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2815
Joined: 5 years ago
x 246

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby ramfan85 » 9 months ago

steviep123 wrote:
PCFriars wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:A few questions:
1) How is it a fact they will be one of the best teams in BE next year?
2) How do you rate PC as one of the top programs in BE? What is the measurement - clearly not NCAA tournament results. I would put them behind at least Nova, Xavier, Butler & Creighton which wouldn't put them as one of the top programs in my opinion.

I do think Cooley has done a great job turning the program around. But they aren't a top program yet.
Two of their "tournament games" were playins (which didn't exist a few years ago). They lost both and didn't make the round of 64.
They have only won 1 NCAA tournament game.
The BE is a nothing like it use to be.
BE record under Cooley: 4-14, 9-9, 10-8, 11-7, 10-8, 10-8.


If you're going to go out of your way to put down a program that is clearly ahead of you at the moment, at least be factually accurate. They have been in one play in game, not two.

Four straight NCAAs, a BE tournament championship, and no worse than 4th place in this current iteration of the conference that is perfectly suited for them. But sure, go ahead and diminish those accomplishments. Oh and 7 in a row.


Actually, it was two. Vs. Dayton 2 or 3 years ago and vs. USC this year. Rhody83 did have his facts correct.


Yes. I believe the game was in Dayton (the home of the play-in games). That wouldn't have happened in the field of 64.
0 x

User avatar
steviep123
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1007
Joined: 5 years ago
x 218

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby steviep123 » 9 months ago

ramfan85 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
PCFriars wrote:
If you're going to go out of your way to put down a program that is clearly ahead of you at the moment, at least be factually accurate. They have been in one play in game, not two.

Four straight NCAAs, a BE tournament championship, and no worse than 4th place in this current iteration of the conference that is perfectly suited for them. But sure, go ahead and diminish those accomplishments. Oh and 7 in a row.


Actually, it was two. Vs. Dayton 2 or 3 years ago and vs. USC this year. Rhody83 did have his facts correct.


Yes. I believe the game was in Dayton (the home of the play-in games). That wouldn't have happened in the field of 64.


That's how I remembered it as a play in game vs. Dayton in Dayton (the only way Dayton could have had a home game). But Google says otherwise.

Truth be told, I don't think Providence deserved the First Four game this year. If any BE team should have been dropped down it should have been Marquette and you could make a case that Marquette didn't belong in the field of 68 at all.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 7595
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1261

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby ramster » 9 months ago

ramfan85 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
PCFriars wrote:
If you're going to go out of your way to put down a program that is clearly ahead of you at the moment, at least be factually accurate. They have been in one play in game, not two.

Four straight NCAAs, a BE tournament championship, and no worse than 4th place in this current iteration of the conference that is perfectly suited for them. But sure, go ahead and diminish those accomplishments. Oh and 7 in a row.


Actually, it was two. Vs. Dayton 2 or 3 years ago and vs. USC this year. Rhody83 did have his facts correct.


Yes. I believe the game was in Dayton (the home of the play-in games). That wouldn't have happened in the field of 64.


In 2015 PC was the #6 Seed and Lost to the #11 Seeded Dayton in Dayton in the 1st Round of the Field of 64 Teams. LaDonte Henton and Kris Dunn were the leaders for PC that year
Dayton played in a Play-In Game vs Boise State and won by 1 point after a great last minute comeback.
PC fans were pretty upset that they had to play Dayton, an 11 seed, on Dayton's home court, and rightfully so imho.
0 x

User avatar
Rhody74
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2742
Joined: 5 years ago
x 562

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby Rhody74 » 9 months ago

Wake me when this returns to the topic of Cole Swider.
3 x
“What comes next is going to be big, and it’s going to be beautiful.”

User avatar
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney
Posts: 13068
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1506

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby rodfromcranston » 9 months ago

Another thread hijacked by the insane
URI-PC endlessness.
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8711
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1189

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby Billyboy78 » 9 months ago

Well, my post was about Swider. All I said was that if he stays local, he really likes PC.
0 x

User avatar
RF1
Sly Williams
Posts: 4367
Joined: 5 years ago
x 927

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby RF1 » 9 months ago

ramster wrote:
ramfan85 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
Actually, it was two. Vs. Dayton 2 or 3 years ago and vs. USC this year. Rhody83 did have his facts correct.


Yes. I believe the game was in Dayton (the home of the play-in games). That wouldn't have happened in the field of 64.


In 2015 PC was the #6 Seed and Lost to the #11 Seeded Dayton in Dayton in the 1st Round of the Field of 64 Teams. LaDonte Henton and Kris Dunn were the leaders for PC that year
Dayton played in a Play-In Game vs Boise State and won by 1 point after a great last minute comeback.
PC fans were pretty upset that they had to play Dayton, an 11 seed, on Dayton's home court, and rightfully so imho.


PC DID NOT PLAY DAYTON ON ITS HOMECOURT.

The Friars played Dayton in Columbus, OH. Columbus is approximately a 70 mile drive from Dayton. Dayton was not even guaranteed to be there as they first had to win the play in game which was played on their UD Arena homecourt. Many observers thought the seeding and placement in the play-in game for Dayton was actually unfair based on their 25-8 record and 2nd place finish in the A-10 (where they lost in the championship game to NCAA bound VCU).

It is rather odd that PC fans complain about the site of the 2015 NCAA basketball game given their own hockey team won a national championship several weeks later in that same year by playing all its tournament games at even closer venues (than Dayton to Columbus) in Providence and Boston.

2015 NCAA Basketball Tournament
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA ... Tournament

2015 NCAA Hockey Tournament
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA ... Tournament
1 x

User avatar
PCFriars
Frenchy Tomlin
Posts: 10
Joined: 10 months ago
x 18

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby PCFriars » 9 months ago

A) Nobody is complaining. It was 3 years ago and there has been plenty of success since to wash away that sting.

B) The way the NCAA hockey tournament is set up allows for that unfairness because they want to sell tickets.

C) Playing BU in Boston is hardly advantage PC.

But don't let any facts get in the way of your argument.
1 x

User avatar
woodennickel1
Kenny Green
Posts: 268
Joined: 5 years ago
x 69

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby woodennickel1 » 9 months ago

RF1 wrote:
ramster wrote:
ramfan85 wrote:
Yes. I believe the game was in Dayton (the home of the play-in games). That wouldn't have happened in the field of 64.


In 2015 PC was the #6 Seed and Lost to the #11 Seeded Dayton in Dayton in the 1st Round of the Field of 64 Teams. LaDonte Henton and Kris Dunn were the leaders for PC that year
Dayton played in a Play-In Game vs Boise State and won by 1 point after a great last minute comeback.
PC fans were pretty upset that they had to play Dayton, an 11 seed, on Dayton's home court, and rightfully so imho.


PC DID NOT PLAY DAYTON ON ITS HOMECOURT.

The Friars played Dayton in Columbus, OH. Columbus is approximately a 70 mile drive from Dayton. Dayton was not even guaranteed to be there as they first had to win the play in game which was played on their UD Arena homecourt. Many observers thought the seeding and placement in the play-in game for Dayton was actually unfair based on their 25-8 record and 2nd place finish in the A-10 (where they lost in the championship game to NCAA bound VCU).

It is rather odd that PC fans complain about the site of the 2015 NCAA basketball game given their own hockey team won a national championship several weeks later in that same year by playing all its tournament games at even closer venues (than Dayton to Columbus) in Providence and Boston.

2015 NCAA Basketball Tournament
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA ... Tournament

2015 NCAA Hockey Tournament
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA ... Tournament


No eleven seed should ever be playing a non play-in game in their home state does not matter how far it is from their home campus.

As far as the hockey team playing BU in Boston is certainly not an advantage PC. As far as the games played in providence that site was determined a couple years before they even played there. They took advantage of a good situation.
0 x

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams
Posts: 4217
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1225

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby RhowdyRam02 » 9 months ago

How is Providence taking advantage of a good situation in hockey different than what Dayton did? Providence hockey could have been sent to a different region.
1 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

User avatar
Shinze88
Jimmy Baron
Posts: 450
Joined: 5 years ago
x 80

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby Shinze88 » 9 months ago

woodennickel1 wrote:
RF1 wrote:
ramster wrote:
No eleven seed should ever be playing a non play-in game in their home state does not matter how far it is from their home campus.




No 11th seeded lowly Atlantic 10 team (Dayton & URI) should ever put a double digit beat down on a mighty 6th seeded Big East team (PC, Creighton) when IT MATTERS THE MOST IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT ... I mean that just shouldn't happen, right?
3 x

User avatar
rjsuperfly66
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1697
Joined: 5 years ago
x 204

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby rjsuperfly66 » 9 months ago

RhowdyRam02 wrote:How is Providence taking advantage of a good situation in hockey different than what Dayton did? Providence hockey could have been sent to a different region.


The difference is that NCAA Hockey historically attempts to place teams geographically. All teams if possible, not just the top seeds.
It's very different than the NCAA Tournament, who typically only rewards top seeds with close geography to home due to the size of the tournament.
It's certainly not Dayton's fault that they were placed in a Columbus regional, but just imagine that next season given your knowledge of how the NCAA Tournament works, URI gets a 6 seed and is placed in the Dallas pod against 11-seeded TCU.
I'm sure you'd be a little perplexed and probably frustrated too.
The reality is that in that particular year, Dayton should have played BYU in a Tuesday game that would have sent them to Jacksonville, and Ole Miss should have played Boise St. in the game on Wednesday to play in Columbus against PC.
0 x

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8711
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1189

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby Billyboy78 » 9 months ago

So, now we're talking about Providence College hockey on Swider's thread. We hate PC basketball. Hockey? Who gives a shit? Please take this somewhere else.
5 x

hrstrat57
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1978
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: South County
x 371

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby hrstrat57 » 9 months ago

Billyboy78 wrote:So, now we're talking about Providence College hockey on Swider's thread. We hate PC basketball. Hockey? Who gives a shit? Please take this somewhere else.


http://urihockey.pointstreaksites.com/view/urihockey

Some more relevant hockey news?

Billyboy78 do you think PC has the inside track on this player? I thought we had a pretty solid shot here?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry! **A10 Champs**

User avatar
the_one_mike
Marc Upshaw
Posts: 82
Joined: 10 months ago
x 84

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby the_one_mike » 9 months ago

All this talk of New England recruiting and I've yet to see anyone mention Ty Boswell's name. If you all don't think that's going to have an immense impact on the 2018 recruiting class -- you are in for quite the surprise.

Not only does he open up doors in NE that Cooley and co. have done their best to keep closed to URI basketball -- he also has the ear and trust of a LOT of quality basketball players in less than ideal playing situations throughout division 1 basketball. If anybody in New England can find a stud transfer, it's him.

In the event we do not get a start-worthy JUCO forward (Juiston) or a knock down 3-point shooter with this last available scholarship, it WILL be saved for next year when Boswell can have a larger impact on the process of recruiting in New England.
1 x

User avatar
woodennickel1
Kenny Green
Posts: 268
Joined: 5 years ago
x 69

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby woodennickel1 » 9 months ago

Shinze88 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
RF1 wrote:



No 11th seeded lowly Atlantic 10 team (Dayton & URI) should ever put a double digit beat down on a mighty 6th seeded Big East team (PC, Creighton) when IT MATTERS THE MOST IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT ... I mean that just shouldn't happen, right?


Never said that, Dayton is a classy team and would have been a tough draw playing anywhere. The top teams in the A10 have never been the issue it is the bottom teams that drag the conference down.
0 x

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8711
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1189

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby Billyboy78 » 9 months ago

hrstrat57 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:So, now we're talking about Providence College hockey on Swider's thread. We hate PC basketball. Hockey? Who gives a shit? Please take this somewhere else.


http://urihockey.pointstreaksites.com/view/urihockey

Some more relevant hockey news?

Billyboy78 do you think PC has the inside track on this player? I thought we had a pretty solid shot here?

Right now my guess would be PC or Syracuse. Still over 6 months til the signing period, so we'll see.
0 x

EGram
Lamar Odom
Posts: 276
Joined: 3 years ago
x 132

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby EGram » 9 months ago

It's amazing how some posters on here feel Providence is some awful city where no kid would want to attend school. Providence may not be Manhattan or Boston but it's a solidly above average northeastern city.

Have you ever been to citys like Syracuse? I do business there and the downtown area is essentially deserted. Yet legit NBA prospects go there. Don't even get me stated on places like Hartford, or many of these Midwestern schools in the actual middle of nowhere.

When I went to school in Svannah GA for a semester my girlfriends dorm security guard spoke a dialect of English that was impossible for either of us to understand. With many of the native poor people it was no different than speaking a foreign language. I remember some southern girl on a plane flight bac to Boston telling us she had never seen a city look anything like this before. Can't even imagine how nice a place like Providence must seem to people living in southern cities.
1 x

PlayMikeMotenMore
Jimmy Baron
Posts: 472
Joined: 2 years ago
x 123

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby PlayMikeMotenMore » 9 months ago

Those "Midwestern schools in the actual middle of nowhere" are what make them great. They're called college towns. Bloomington, IN, Champaign, IL, Iowa City, IA....the town/city revolves around the university culturally, socially, and economically. Usually the university is the largest employer in the area. That's what makes those world-class institutions special. Those towns in the "middle of nowhere" have hospitals, researchers, good public school systems, transportation around the city, etc. They bring in concerts, speakers, specials and obviously have a track record of producing world-class students and student athletes.

It's very easy for a recruit to be attracted to that as opposed to being just another face in another city.
4 x

User avatar
PCFriars
Frenchy Tomlin
Posts: 10
Joined: 10 months ago
x 18

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby PCFriars » 9 months ago

The belief is that Swider will end up in the Big East, with Villanova and Xavier in the lead right now.

PC has a shot and is recruiting him hard but the staff is not optimistic from what I am told.
0 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9179
Joined: 5 years ago
x 2489

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby TruePoint » 9 months ago

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Those "Midwestern schools in the actual middle of nowhere" are what make them great. They're called college towns. Bloomington, IN, Champaign, IL, Iowa City, IA....the town/city revolves around the university culturally, socially, and economically. Usually the university is the largest employer in the area. That's what makes those world-class institutions special. Those towns in the "middle of nowhere" have hospitals, researchers, good public school systems, transportation around the city, etc. They bring in concerts, speakers, specials and obviously have a track record of producing world-class students and student athletes.

It's very easy for a recruit to be attracted to that as opposed to being just another face in another city.


This is an actual good post. Two in two days, even. I'll be damned.
1 x

User avatar
the_one_mike
Marc Upshaw
Posts: 82
Joined: 10 months ago
x 84

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby the_one_mike » 9 months ago

EGram wrote:It's amazing how some posters on here feel Providence is some awful city where no kid would want to attend school. Providence may not be Manhattan or Boston but it's a solidly above average northeastern city.


This board is littered with status-quo homer opinions that typically end up boiling down to an argument about how "Providence sucks," but also how "URI isn't a major program" and therefore expectations should be tempered. It's this interesting blend of masochism and delusion I've yet to really nail down.

It isn't 1982 anymore. Providence has already developed into a cultural hub in not only New England, but the whole East Coast. It is now beginning to develop economically as well. It would probably surprise some members of this board to know that young people 21-30 are beginning to take up residency in droves on the West Side, including *GASP* Olneyville.

A good friend of mine just invested over $80k renovating a bar less than half of a mile from PC's campus. Just because previous generations have left areas of our capitol city behind doesn't mean that there aren't young entrepreneurs continuing to invest in their home city. It's frustrating to see so many people speak in a negative tone about Providence when it's fairly obvious their opinion is antiquated.

In the face of all that, PC also plays in a better league, draws more fans, and has invested in better facilities. Yet, for some reason, there is some idea that recruits being 25 minutes from the beach, in the winter, with no car is some kind of a draw for a group of primarily urban kids. Give me a break.

To many players, being in Kingston is no different than being in any other of the run-down cities that have been listed in this thread. The difference being they will be on more notable programs. Destination schools. Syracuse; Iowa State. That's what URI is, like it or not. A destination school. Therefore, to retain a level of success we MUST develop "unnecessary" resources for the basketball program. Either that, or accept mediocrity.

We have the potential resources to land this kid. He's local. He's getting high-major attention. There is always a draw for some players when it comes to staying close to home. The difference for Rhode Island kids is -- are we maximizing their future? To land him, WE need to continue moving forward. PC has nothing to do with what WE do to secure our own program's future.
1 x

reckless jake
Lamar Odom
Posts: 322
Joined: 3 years ago
x 47

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby reckless jake » 9 months ago

You might be surprised to discover that members of both our men's and women's basketball teams actually do enjoy going to the nearby beaches. If you casually follow their twitter and instagram accounts you'll see they are regularly at Narragansett and Scarborough beaches, they find their way to Newport and *GASP* they even take the ferry out to Ballard's on Block Island. True.
1 x

User avatar
the_one_mike
Marc Upshaw
Posts: 82
Joined: 10 months ago
x 84

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby the_one_mike » 9 months ago

reckless jake wrote:You might be surprised to discover that members of both our men's and women's basketball teams actually do have transportation (like you say, this isn't 1982 anymore) and enjoy going to the nearby beaches. If you casually follow their twitter and instagram accounts you'll see they are regularly at Narragansett and Scarborough beaches, they find their way to Newport and *GASP* even take the ferry out to Ballard's on Block Island. True.


Sure, let's skim past the point of and pick at details and begin to assume conclusions. Pretty much the response I would have expected to a post that isn't an "attaboy" or baseless PC insult.

Nobody said they don't enjoy the beach. The point is that being 25 minutes from there and requiring the school to transport them is less than ideal. Maybe they love the beach. Maybe they don't. It was a matter of comparison to other places. It wasn't taking away from the school's effort to make due with what they have; I was merely illustrating that other campuses have a lot more to do in down time than URI. PC being one of them.

You'd probably be surprised that *GASP* ... PC players visit beautiful coastal locations in RI too! My goodness!
1 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9179
Joined: 5 years ago
x 2489

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Postby TruePoint » 9 months ago

My take is that Providence is an awesome mid-size American city, it has great bars and restaurants and other cultural goings-on, it is walkable, it is affordable; AND that Kingston/Narragansett is a better place to go to college than Smith Hill.

If PC traded campuses with Brown, it would be a different story. The East Side is a uniquely cool urban campus environment.
1 x


Return to “Recruitment Corner”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PeterRamTime and 2 guests