'18 RI SG Cole Swider (Villanova Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Offer)

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Ehh, shoplifting? Stretching there. PC believes in this approach because if the player gets a) homesick b) wrong fit, or c) any other option, they hope the initial investment gets them a seat at the table later on.

Many people thought MAL was destined for UCONN, Cooley kept pushing. He lost the initial battle but not the war. Could have thrown in the towel early on but then he probably doesn't land MAL in the spring.

Different ways to accomplish different goals, all about each staff getting the players they think are best for those goals. It's hard to critique a staff that has brought in 3 Top 25 recruiting classes in 6 year.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Realistically with what PC and URI have to offer and the recent success or lack there of before either coach arrived, the recruiting success of both programs has been tremendous. Any other assessment is ignoring the fact of what these schools are.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Announcing on Friday.....Syracuse, Duke, Villanova or Xavier.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Announcing on Friday.....Syracuse, Duke, Villanova or Xavier.
This thread goes multiple pages for that?
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The threads on Swider and Reeves need to end. They are going elsewhere, what's the point?
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Swider is from Rhode Island. I thought there might be some interest. Excuse me for caring.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If there's a top 50 player in the country and he's from RI, count me in as being interested. Always good seeing local talent do big outside of the state.
0 x
Go Rhody
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Rhody15 wrote:If there's a top 50 player in the country and he's from RI, count me in as being interested. Always good seeing local talent do big outside of the state.
Ditto
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Projo says it's Villanova
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:Swider is from Rhode Island. I thought there might be some interest. Excuse me for caring.
I also find it interesting to track Swider's performance being from RI

In an age where there are over 700 transfers per year (an average of 2 transfers per D1 Team) it is a good practice to remain in good standing with the recruits that you lose out on. You never know when a kid might become homesick, not like his new environment for whatever reason, etc.
URI just landed Davida Dale who originally picked Syracuse and now is returning home. She was an outstanding Top 100 ranked player from our state.

Jared Terrell another example who picked Oklahoma State but changed his mind for URI. Kuran Iverson.........many examples why you continue to recruit and stay in touch with players you like
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Enuff

Lock this puppy up plz
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

more action on non recruits than on guys we are involved with.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No recruiting page should ever be locked up and imho no thread should ever be locked. No need to ever open this thread if you have no interest in Swider. Don't go to the channel, don't open the book.
5 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: '18 RI SG Cole Swider (Villanova Commit)

Unread post by TruePoint »

Yawn. Villanova? Least interesting place I can imagine. All of the boredom of PC in an even worse city. God what I would give to be 18 and have the choice of any school in the country. If I were, Villanova would be like #387 on my list.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TruePoint wrote:Yawn. Villanova? Least interesting place I can imagine. All of the boredom of PC in an even worse city. God what I would give to be 18 and have the choice of any school in the country. If I were, Villanova would be like #387 on my list.
They won a national title two years ago...
2 x
Go Rhody
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

He is rated #89 on Rivals. I'm guessing he didn't want to put himself in the cut throat Duke or Duke's peers environment.

ACC had the most first round picks by a conference ever this past year.

A guy #89 is better off joining the big fish in a small pond.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Yawn. Villanova? Least interesting place I can imagine. All of the boredom of PC in an even worse city. God what I would give to be 18 and have the choice of any school in the country. If I were, Villanova would be like #387 on my list.
Villanova has been in the NCAA Tournament 12 times this century
National Champion in 2016
Final 4 in 2009, 2016
Elite 8 in 2006, 2009, 2016
Sweet 16 in 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2016
Big East Regular Season Conference Championship Winner including the last 4 years: 2005, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

What it came down to was the Head Coach, their plan for him at Villanova and his future potential to play in the NBA. his comments:

"I feel like I can have a similar relationship with Coach Wright as what I have with my high school coach, Mike Hart," Swider told ESPN. "When it came down to it, I loved the campus, the players and Coach Wright and the staff has a really good plan for me to come in and contribute right away."
"They think I can be a great player at Villanova, and possibly be a pro afterwards," he added.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:
They won a national title two years ago...
What does that have to do with what I said?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TruePoint wrote:
ramster wrote:
You might be one of about six people in the country to think a college where a national basketball championship was won 2 years ago in one of the best games in recent memory is the least interesting place you can imagine.

In Philly, big city, in the Big East, close to home, with one of the best coaches in the country.
2 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think Philadelphia was a factor due to it's proximity. Swider plays at the top Program in the Big East and Villanova is the easiest for his family to visit by plane or by train. Xavier, Syracuse and Duke all more difficult to visit. Sounds like the kid made a good choice to me. Best of luck to him.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

See we're still talking about a non recruit and not about where URI is at with the 18's. Hmmm.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
ramster wrote:
You might be one of about six people in the country to think a college where a national basketball championship was won 2 years ago in one of the best games in recent memory is the least interesting place you can imagine.

In Philly, big city, in the Big East, close to home, with one of the best coaches in the country.
Maybe. But I don't care if they won the last 15 championships. Would have nothing do with my choice, and I'm only talking about my preferences.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

You're totally wrong TruePoint. Philly has a lot of culture, it's like a baby new York
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Last time I was in Philly, the city shut down at 5 o'clock.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let's see how Swider enjoys himself in the city of brotherly love
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting comment on Swider decision timing...

KRYSTEN PEEK: It was a little surprising to see Cole Swider commit so early. Villanova is a great fit for him, but with the attention coming from other schools after he played tremendously well at the NBPA Top 100 Camp, I thought he would pull back and take some visits and slow down the recruiting process. Swider is a great get for Jay Wright and his staff, which outfought Duke, Xavier and Syracuse for Swider.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... ecruiting-
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Some people don't like when I post about Cole because he isn't coming here. If you're one of those, you shouldn't have clicked. I'm following him because he's a local kid from my hometown, and because he has a chance to be great. He will not ride the pine at Villanova, as some have said. He will be a star there. Anyway, in St. Andrew's opening game last night, he scored 39 points. I'm predicting that he will lead the country in scoring this year. There will be several games when he will score more than 39.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It will be interesting to follow him
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I have no problem Any RI guy is interesting to me
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote:I have no problem Any RI guy is interesting to me
Except for David Duke...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

49 points last night, including 7 threes and 17-18 from the line.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Swider and St Andrews playing in same event as Jermaine Harris and his Rock Creek Christian team

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nova could have used Swider today as they lose at Butler
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It doesn't matter, Ramster. He's just going to rot on the bench at Villanova. At least that is what some people here have said, but who also have never seen him play.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Not so sure this young man is going to rot on bench at Nova. Just my opinion
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote:

No. My brother was talking to a scout the other day. The scout sees Cole eventually being a 1st round draft pick.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Billyboy78 wrote:
giovanni wrote:

No. My brother was talking to a scout the other day. The scout sees Cole eventually being a 1st round draft pick.
I believe it. I was being a tad sarcastic towards a couple of posters who referred to him as only going to rot on bench and more than likely have never seen him play. Duke is in outstanding talent too from what I've seen. 2 guys that are not your typical RI stars over the years and were recruited at a different level also for a reason. Anyone can bomb out, don't I see this kid being a dud though, closer to a big star. Even though it would be great for URI to be able to get any RI kids, it is also nice to see a local kid succeed anywhere especially at a top notch program. IMO
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote:Big game on big stage for Swider

http://www.masslive.com/hoophallclassic ... _cole.html
I was at this game. I am sure this can happen to these kids at these type of events but Swider had one goal for 40 minutes. It wasn’t to win. It was to score. He released on almost every shot by Woodstock Academy. He was the 2nd tallest player on St Andrews and didn’t help rebound. He forced his shot. Every time something went wrong he turned to look at the Nova Ast Coach under the basket and put his hands up and shrugged his shoulders - seemed to be blaming others. St Andrews was dominated losing by 23 points.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote:

I was at this game. I am sure this can happen to these kids at these type of events but Swider had one goal for 40 minutes. It wasn’t to win. It was to score. He released on almost every shot by Woodstock Academy. He was the 2nd tallest player on St Andrews and didn’t help rebound. He forced his shot. Every time something went wrong he turned to look at the Nova Ast Coach under the basket and put his hands up and shrugged his shoulders - seemed to be blaming others. St Andrews was dominated losing by 23 points.
How were his teammates responding?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:

They worship him. It is his team.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Goodine is a good player on that St. Andrews team too. He's only a junior and has already committed to Syracuse.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhody83 wrote:
ramster wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Do they worship him like BillyBoy?

Let it go brutha. Move on. We get you have a man-crush on him. So go create the Cole Swider message board.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
ramster wrote:
Do they worship him like BillyBoy?

Let it go brutha. Move on. We get you have a man-crush on him. So go create the Cole Swider message board.
And when will you stop being an asshole?
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Out indefinitely.
Fractured hand in practice.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good start for Cole Swider

0 x