'17 PA PG - Daron Russell (URI Signed NLI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: '17 PA PG - Daron Russell (URI Signed NLI)

Unread post by adam914 »

Man, I don't want to get too carried away from a highlight video, but dare I say I see a little Allen Iverson in this kid...
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow this kid looks like the real deal. He needs to get some quality minutes next year
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea he's really good. There is the future potential of kids and then their production. Looks like he is one of the most productive players out there.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ITs always good when the PGs highlight tape actually has some assists. Looks like a dynamic scorer, and agree have to think at 6'1 this kid is 4-star.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

adam914 wrote:Man, I don't want to get too carried away from a highlight video, but dare I say I see a little Allen Iverson in this kid...
You've been quoted, Adam.

https://www.facebook.com/rhodybballtoug ... ED&fref=nf
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:Man, I don't want to get too carried away from a highlight video, but dare I say I see a little Allen Iverson in this kid...
You've been quoted, Adam.

https://www.facebook.com/rhodybballtoug ... ED&fref=nf
Haha I'm famous!
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

He has such good control of his body at the rim - really very impressive. Also makes decisions at high speed. I know it is a highlight real, but having watched many of these over the years, this kid has one of the better ones. Can't wait for next year!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Usually our best players on the teams we make deep runs with our point guards like Tyson and Silk so let's hope Fatts can be like them
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Fatts imo will be great here, his supporting cast will determine just how great.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote:Fatts imo will be great here, his supporting cast will determine just how great.
3 years of langevine, 3 years of dowtin, 3 years of layssard who, based on what we've seen under these coaches, will improve. 4 years of tertsea.

I think it's obvious Dan can recruit talent, I'm sure we'll have no issue getting more talent around him in those future classes.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I was looking at the all-state 1st team for Pennsylvania and where they are going to school. One is going to Kentucky, two are going to Villanova, one is going to Miami and one is going to URI! One of the 2nd teamers is going to Michigan and one to South Carolina. I think we got a good one.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Oh, and the one going to URI led his team to the state championship and was named MVP, not the one going to Kentucky or the ones going to Villanova.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I know Lonnie Walker is considered to be the type of player Miami hasn't had over the past few years. I think there were 2 trips to the Sweet Sixteen in those years.

Russell is in great company.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Russell is a blur on the court. He can get anyplace on the court he wants to go due to his quickness and deceptiveness. He's fearless on the floor and not at all intimidated by opposing players. To this point in his career no moment has been too big for him. He's an undervalued PG.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Results from playing for Team Philly in the 2017 Albert Donofrio Classic

ROUND OF 16 - April 5
Team Philly 105, Yellow Jackets 73: Daron Russell (24), Koby Thomas (20) and Daeqwon Plowden (18) fueled the frolic. John Harrar (22) topped YJ.

QUARTERFINALS - April 12
Team Philly 102, We R 1 97: Izaiah Brockington (23 points) and Daron Russell (20, four treys) paced TP, which overcame a 15-point deficit. Russell's steal and trey sealed the deal. Koby Thomas added 18 points, 12 boards, three blocks. Isaiah Wong (25) topped the losers.

Russell and Team Philly play Monday Night, April 17 at 7pm in the SEMIFINALS
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jordan Brand Regional Game is at 3:30pm Friday April 14 at the Barclay's Center. Red Team vs Blue Team
Red Team.png
Russell's Team.png
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In a related note, this will be the 2nd consecutive year that URI has had a Recruit in the Jordan Brand Regional Game. Last year Cyril Langevine was a starter in the game. He had 11 points, 2 rebounds and a block

http://jordanbrandclassic.com/wp-conten ... -Score.pdf
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

To give an idea of the level of players selected for today's Regional Jordan Brand game that Daron Russell of URI was selected to play in:

22 Total Players (11 per team)

ACC - 6: Miami (2), North Carolina, Syracuse, Georgia Tech, Louisville
Big 10 - 4: Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota
Big East - 3: Villanova (3)
Atlantic 10 - 3: Saint Louis, George Mason, URI
Pac 12 - 2: Arizona, Arizona State
Patriot - 1: Boston U
Undecided - 3

Daron Russell will be playing with Colin Gillespie (PG) who is going to Villanova. On Monday night Russell and Gillespie will go head to head in the Semi Finals of the Donofrio Classic.

Greg Calixte 6'8" 230lb PF from Mount Vernon HS just decided this week to play for A10's George Mason which has put together a pretty good class.
Hassan French 6'7" 230lb PF going to Saint Louis is a bull, very physical player. ESPN#5 Undecided Mohamed Bamba 6'11" played down low with French on the Cardinals. French will be a tough guy in the A10.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

"Russell is one of the toughest point guards in this year’s class. He is a true leader on the floor. He is very good at changing pace and direction, which allows him to keep defenders guessing. Absolutely fearless, he drives to the basket and finishes with contact for the and-one bucket or the assist. He also shoots the ball extremely well and with a quick release from three. He will be heading to Rhode Island next year."

His bio on the Jordan classic website...
Last edited by steveystuds06 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

yep
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I love the name Hassan French.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramster, is that game on TV?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I checked and the Regional game that Fatts is in won't be on TV (it may be streamable, not sure about that). The main boys game in on ESPN2 at 8PM.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

more recognition....Class 4A Player of the Year for Russell

http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/new ... id=1566508
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I've read previous sports reports in which Russell's skill set is quite reminiscent of Allen Iverson....calm down friar fans....I'm not saying he is AI...
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:Ramster, is that game on TV?
ESPN 8pm EDT for the National Game.
I would think that the Regional game at 3:30pm EDT would be streamed but I have not had much success in trying to find this. Please let me know if you have any success. I would love to be there for the National Boys, Regional Boys and National Girls games....but not this year
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Ramster, is that game on TV?
ESPN 8pm EDT for the National Game.
I would think that the Regional game at 3:30pm EDT would be streamed but I have not had much success in trying to find this. Please let me know if you have any success. I would love to be there for the National Boys, Regional Boys and National Girls games....but not this year
This is showing a video of something. I'm not getting any audio. Is this it?
http://jordanbrandclassic.com
Last edited by Billyboy78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I found it. It's playing on Facebook live. Score is already in the 30's. not much defense being played.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

It is as unwatchable as any basketball all-star game. Why even play these? I would rather watch a lay-up drill.Wait?! It is a lay-up drill, ball hog fest. It is a different activity than anything resembling basketball.

Embarrassing.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Final Score was 170-162, Russell's team lost.

Russell Started for the Blue Team and played 19 minutes. 5-16 FGs, 2-2 FTs, 1-9 on 3FG, 10 assists to lead the team, Zero turnovers, 1 steal, 5 rebounds, 13 points

C9Zo4aaXUAEmG7e.jpg
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I saw the last 3-5min and he was playing...not surprised by the 1-9 from three he took 3-4 of them from way out near the end and none were close.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Haha 170-162!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

1-9 from 3 say it ain't so Fatts Russell !!!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

10 assists no turnovers though :)
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I guess in a game like that we can't read too much into it
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I was blown away by how fast he is... He will be the best ball handler on our team as a freshman. Some nice runners and runs the pick and roll effectively. I didn't see a better passer on the floor. 3 pt shooting was off, but he also had about 3-4 go in and out. His release on his shot is very fast and he pulls up so quickly it makes him extremely hard to guard.
Last edited by steveystuds06 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Daron played an amazing first half last night- one of the most enjoyable individual performances I've watched in a long time. He was on from three, involving his teammates, and just relentless. They go against the best player in the state tonight in Lonnie Walker.
2 x
reckless jake
ARD

I don't care about how many stars are in front of his name or after it, after watching him play a few times it's obvious he's a very special player. A combination of lots of talent and desire.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

"Every time I play basketball I feel like I have something to prove,” the 5-foot-9 point guard said. “Because of my height everyone is going to look over me and just limit me to certain things. I just want to go out there and prove everybody wrong every time.”

I freaking love this kid!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SEMIFINALS
April 17
Team Philly 108, Just Clean It 102: TP received gigantic performances from Daron Russell (31 points, eight assists) and Koby Thomas (30, 17 rebounds). For JCI, Collin Gillespie mixed 24 points, nine boards and 10 assists. Strong outings also were posted by Marc Rodriguez (19, four treys), Tyree Pickron (19) and Mark Flagg (18).

Raw Sports 107, Don Len 81: Tyrese Martin scored 24 points. Lonnie Walker (12 rebounds) and Talek Williams had 20 apiece. Eli Brooks added 14 points, seven boards, five assists. DL was paced by Jesse Saul (27), Chris Arcidiacono (21), Andrew Sims (14) and Conner Delaney (13).

Team Philly plays Raw Sports tonight for the Championship at 7:30pm
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CONSHOHOCKEN >> Every seat was taken and there was no place left to stand at the Fellowship House of Conshohocken for the Donofrio Classic semifinals Monday night.
Nobody left disappointed after watching the first game.
Koby Thomas gave Team Philly the lead for good with less than 40 seconds left to lift them to a 108-102 win over Just Clean It.
The Imhotep senior and Robert Morris commit broke a 102-102 tie and then made two free throws to extend the lead to four with 15.5 seconds left.
In the middle of his four points may be where the game was won.
Mastery Charter North senior and Bowling Green commit Daeqwon Plowden blocked Archbishop Wood senior Matt Cerruti to get Team Philly the ball with the lead in the final 20 seconds.
Thomas scored 18 of his 30 points in the second half.
“He was huge,” Team Philly’s Daron Russell said of Thomas. “A lot of rebounds where it wasn’t in the favor of him and he skied up and got the rebound for us. Koby has been terrific this whole Donofrio run.”
Just Clean It led for most of the first half and Team Philly took its first second-half lead less than two minutes after the break, 63-62.
Just Clean It responded with an 18-6 run to take an 80-69 advantage.
Team Philly came right back. Doane Academy’s Damon Wall scored five points during a 12-0 run that saw them take an 81-80 lead with 9:35 left in the game.
From that point, neither team led by more than three until Thomas put Team Philly up by four in the closing seconds.
“We knew it was going to be a tough game,” Russell said. “When we got down big early we just knew that eventually we were going to get back. It was about what was going to happen in the second half.”
Archbishop Wood senior and Villanova commit Collin Gillespie came alive in the second half. After scoring just six first-half points, the Philadelphia Catholic League MVP scored 18 in the second half, including 10 straight that saw Just Clean It take a 94-91 lead.
Gillespie scored a team-high 24 points and Wood junior Tyree Pickron and Judge’s Marc Rodriguez each had 19.
Russell — a Rhode Island commit and Imhotep senior — scored a game-high 31 points. He did most of his damage in the first half, scoring 23 points to keep Team Philly in striking distance of Just Clean It, 59-55.
“Every time I play basketball I feel like I have something to prove,” the 5-foot-9 point guard said. “Because of my height everyone is going to look over me and just limit me to certain things. I just want to go out there and prove everybody wrong every time.”
Russell was the Philadelphia Public League MVP this year and led Imhotep to a state championship. One thing missing from his trophy case is a Donofrio Classic title. Last year he was on Team Hardnett, which lost the 2016 final to the Old School Cavaliers in triple overtime.
He’ll get his chance to win the title Tuesday night at 7:30 p.m. against the winner of the Raw Sports All Stars and Don Len.
“I haven’t got a Donofrio championship yet,” Russell said. “I’m looking for one (Tuesday).”

http://papreplive.com/2017/04/17/team-p ... -clean-it/
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Lost an inch.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reckless jake
ARD

Fatts is killing it again tonight in the Donofrio final as Team Philly beats Raw Sports 128 - 85.

He was selected the Tourney MVP, scoring 32 tonight, with eight 3's including a half court 3 for his last basket.
Last edited by reckless jake 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is the half court shot

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In championship game:
32 points
8 three pointers
9 assists
8 rebounds
Yet another MVP Award
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He is definitely piling up the trophies this year.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This kid screams under recruited and a steal...Cyril Langevine part 2.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

nm
Last edited by theblueram 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x