'17 PA PG - Daron Russell (URI Signed NLI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '17 PA PG - Daron Russell (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Great breakdown Ramster, love reading your stuff..
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Thanks Ramster, that is great to know. Very impressive performance by Daron.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Thanks Ramster, that is great information. Very impressive performance by Daron.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: '17 PA PG - Daron Russell (Rhode Island)

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote:Interesting last line from the Koch article: "URI has one scholarship remaining and is in search of a wing scorer, with the transfer or junior college routes both actively in play."
JUCO isn't always the way to go in recruiting, but if there was a particular wing they wanted in '15 who didn't qualify academically, he'd be available as a '17. Add him as a junior to the class with Akele and Thompson, and that's a nice veteran bridge when they could possibly lose all the current juniors (JG, JT, EC, SR) after 17-18.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '17 PA PG - Daron Russell (Rhode Island)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:
adam914 wrote:Interesting last line from the Koch article: "URI has one scholarship remaining and is in search of a wing scorer, with the transfer or junior college routes both actively in play."
JUCO isn't always the way to go in recruiting, but if there was a particular wing they wanted in '15 who didn't qualify academically, he'd be available as a '17. Add him as a junior to the class with Akele and Thompson, and that's a nice veteran bridge when they could possibly lose all the current juniors (JG, JT, EC, SR) after 17-18.
Are you talking about someone specifically? I'm trying to remember the '15 class that we might have been recruiting.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Butts?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ok, my last guess...Rashard Figures.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I know! Xavier Cochran!
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I hope it's Butts... Just hear the call now..... It's Fatts to Butts for the slam!!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:Butts?
Signed with Coastal Carolina, I think, but I don't see him on their roster.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Imhotep is participating in a Hoop Group showcase this weekend. Lots of quality programs involved, including St. Anthony. It looks like Imhotep is scheduled to play Lincoln (NY) and Archbishop Malloy (NY).
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Daron Russell (Class of 2017, Point Guard | Imhotep Charter, PA) Rhode Island Commit

The Rhode Island commit led Imhotep Charter to a couple of impressive wins. Though he stands 5’10”, Russell has great toughness and playmaking ability. He had a nice balance between creating for himself and others. Russell showed that he is able to play with another talented guard in the backcourt with David Beatty. They both showed great chemistry and will be a force to reckoned with this season.
http://www.madehoops.com/news_article/s ... id=1272156
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Interesting that he was listed as an outstanding player in their two wins but Beaty who is a highly recruited recruit wasn't. That's a good sign on how good he really is.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If EC stays, the depth gets even better next year with Fatts. EC, Jarvis, Jared, Robinson, Dowtin, Thompson and Fatts. If we're ranked the 11th best backcourt now, it should be even higher next year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Daron Russell looks to become better 'floor general' in senior season at Imhotep Charter

By Daniel Gallen | dgallen@pennlive.com
on November 01, 2016 9:00 AM

NEPTUNE, N.J. — The commitment is out of the way. Imhotep Charter guard Daron Russell found “the perfect fit” with Rhode Island, and so he enters his senior season in North Philly without any uncertainty hanging over him.

That means it’s time to round out his game before he steps up to the next level under Dan Hurley in Rhode Island. He’s one of the smoothest point guards in the area, so what else is there to work on?

“It's leadership,” Imhotep coach Andre Noble said in October at the Hoop Group Fall High School Showcase at the Jersey Shore. “We got a lot of good young players and he has to help them get better. So he's been embracing that and doing a good job so far this fall.”

“I just want to be more of a floor general, more of a leader and get these young guys on the same page and win these championships,” Russell said.

Imhotep has lofty goals this year. Russell has his eyes on Philadelphia Public League, city and state championships. With senior four-star David Beatty, a transfer from St. Benedict’s (N.J.), and a pair of four-star sophomores in Donte Scott and Jamil Riggins, the talent for a deep run is there. But with all the exciting youth, Russell will have to shepherd it at times this winter.

Russell has already made an impression on Beatty, one of his backcourt mates for this season. He has the all-around game to glide through traffic to the basket or shoot from the outside. He can make tough passes and find open teammates while knowing his fellow Panthers have plenty of talent to make plays. But he also plays bigger than his 5-foot-10 frame and shows a drive that’s rubbed off on Beatty, the No. 7 combo guard in the nation, according to 247Sports.

“That's humbling myself because I see how humble he is and how he's just underrated,” Beatty said. “We're both underrated very big, very looked over, so we still got the same goal. It's just to kill everything in front of us, and it's just good to have somebody that's in the same position on my side.”

Beatty’s addition will help lighten the load for Russell, since both of them can run the offense and create plays for their teammates. They can share scoring duties, while Beatty complimented Russell’s conditioning — “He doesn’t get tired,” Beatty said — as something that will be hard for opponents to match.

The Panthers fell short of their Public League and state goals last season, and Russell returns as the leader of a young squad looking to overcome these past shortcomings. There’s plenty of talent on the Imhotep roster, but it starts and ends with Russell. He knows that, and his teammates know that.

“He's just very good,” Beatty said. “He's very talented. I've never seen no other point guard that can do what he do, so it's really good playing with him. I love his game, and we’re just cool friends. We're going to have a good year.”

--@danieljtgallen
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It's telling when you see other kids, more highly rated, deferring to Fatts. Could be another steal for Dan and Co.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, Fatts played head to head against Qjade Green, the 5* PG. I believe Green's list is Kentucky, Duke, Villanova, Syracuse and Temple. As you see in this video, Fatts certainly held his own. I think he's going to be really good. Fatts is #1 in white. Quade is #1 in black.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy,
I have seen him play several times
I would agree with Beatty's statement. I can't really describe how he is different from other PGs I have seen and I have said it before in his recruiting thread but he has a very smooth release on his 3 point shot with a high level of accuracy. he has a short stroke and a very efficient looking stroke on his 3 point shot. he also gets good elevation. He plays with a high level of confidence, does not over dribble at all, prefers to pass versus dribble, changes direction well, involves everyone on the team with his passing, sees the floor well, was virtually unstoppable in the EYBL playoffs last year against the best AAU competition in the nation. I was thrilled with his commitment. Also, look back at the Dowtin recruiting thread. Equally excited about Dowtin coming to URI. Imagine a backcourt of Russell and Dowtin? WOW

“He's just very good,” Beatty said. “He's very talented. I've never seen no other point guard that can do what he do, so it's really good playing with him. I love his game, and we’re just cool friends. We're going to have a good year.”
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Fatts is signing his NLI on Monday at 6PM.
3 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

time to unsticky this years players and sticky this to the top?
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yes. Thx for reminding me.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '17 PA PG - Daron Russell (Rhode Island Signed LOI)

Welcome Fatts!

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: '17 PA PG - Daron Russell (URI Signed NLI)

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Love seeing a recruit in their Rhody gear.
0 x
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

Daron was at the game tonight. Sat right near my wife and I. Appeared to really be enjoying him self. What a game to see. Cox took him into the locker room after the win. Can't wait to see him with Keaney blue on next season.
Last edited by MTK4L 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

MTK4L wrote:Daron was at the game tonight. Sat right near my wife and I. Appeared to really be enjoying him self. What a game to see. Cox took him into the locker room after the win. Can't wait to see him with Keaney blue on next season.
Yeah, I saw him tweeting that he was at the game. Awesome, part of the family already.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
MTK4L wrote:Daron was at the game tonight. Sat right near my wife and I. Appeared to really be enjoying him self. What a game to see. Cox took him into the locker room after the win. Can't wait to see him with Keaney blue on next season.
Yeah, I saw him tweeting that he was at the game. Awesome, part of the family already.
Several members of the Russell family were at Mohegan Sun this past weekend for the tournament. The reason was that Daron's brother Dewayne plays for Grand Canyon U which participated in the event.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I posted this write up of the GCU - Louisville game in the weekly game thread maintained so amazingly well by Obadiah, but thought this should be part of Daron's Recruiting information thread as well.
Gives an idea of just how special a player Dewayne is, and trust me, Daron has the makings of an amazing College player as well.

Dewayne Russell's first two games of the season were actually played at the Mohegan Sun in the same Tournament as us. I watched some of GCU's games there. He had to sit out the first two games on GCU's schedule this year due to the NCAA regarding his transfer a couple of years earlier.
Of course, his brother Daron was at the Mohegan Sun to see his future URI Rams team play but also of course to watch his Brother!!
Dwayne is a Senior at GCU
Majerle really wanted Daron to follow his brother's footsteps to GCU. Majerle attended Daron's AAU games and you can't miss him with the big GSC Letters on the front of his shirt.
As I have mentioned in the recruiting thread, I have seen Daron play and he is amazing. He was the player I really wanted URI to land this year, even if we land no other player, this was the guy I wanted.

GVU had a 1 point lead on Louisville at the half.

Here is write up of the game on Saturday from ESPN / Associated Press

No. 14 Louisville pulls out 79-70 win over Grand Canyon
12:42 AM ET Associated Press
PHOENIX -- Louisville coach Rick Pitino has played in the most difficult arenas in college basketball. Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina.
He's faced some of the game's best guards through the years. Bobby Hurley, John Wall, Sherman Douglass.
Overcoming a dominating performance by Russell and Grand Canyon's boisterous student section, No. 14 Louisville escaped with a harder-than-expected, 79-70 win over the Antelopes Saturday night.

"It made us a much better team tonight," Pitino said. "Whether we go to Duke or Kentucky, nothing will be as tough an environment as this."
Pitino agreed to this rare road game against a small, private school out of respect for GCU coach Dan Majerle.
The Cardinals (7-1) won in a blowout the first game of the series a year ago at home, but faced a much more difficult challenge heading to the desert.
Grand Canyon's student section is secretly one of the best in college basketball, racing to their seats before the game to create a rave-like atmosphere .
After struggling to find an offensive rhythm in the first half, Louisville started to find the mark with good passing. The Cardinals hit 17 of 31 shots in the second half and had a 22-point advantage in the paint to pull away.
Deng Adel scored 15 points, while V.J. King and Ray Spalding added 14 each for Louisville, which played without 7-foot center Anas Muhmoud (concussion).
"Our passing was great in the second half," Pitino said. "That was the difference."
Missing three starters, Grand Canyon (3-4) led Louisville at halftime and kept the Cardinals close until the midpoint of the second half.
Russell was the reason.
The wispy 5-foot-11 senior weaved his way through Louisville's defense despite facing constant traps and double teams, scoring on pull-up jumpers and a pair of 3-pointers for 18 points by halftime. Russell closed it with a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to put Grand Canyon up 37-36 at halftime.
Russell kept his one-man show rolling in the second half, bringing the crowd to its feet again and again, including a baseline teardrop shot that appeared to float as high as the shot clock.
"Coach Majerle told me where the traps were going to come from, how they were going to defend me and I just did the best I could to execute the plan," said Russell, who hit 14 of 27 shots.
Louisville put together a short run midway through the second half to go up 10 and kept its cushion despite Russell's performance.

BIG PICTURE
Louisville had another rough night shooting from the perimeter and had a hard time shaking a small school that isn't in Division I yet. Not what the Cardinals had in mind on the trip to the desert, but there will be plenty for coach Rick Pitino to use in the film room and practice.
Grand Canyon schedules games like this -- it also has Duke and Arizona on this season's schedule -- to gain exposure and experience against big-time programs. The Lopes fell short, but will benefit in the long run.
POLL IMPLICATIONS
Scraping past a the Lopes could cost the Cardinals a few spots in the poll Monday.
UNEXPECTED LIFT
With the Cardinals struggling to get any kind of flow offensively in the first half, coach Rick Pitino turned to Matz Stockman.
The junior from Norway played a total of 15 minutes through the first seven games, scoring five points. He came alive when given the chance against GCU, scoring 10 points and grabbing three rebounds in the first half.
"I never I thought I'd see the day where I'd call timeouts and run plays for him," Pitino said. "But that's what happened and he executed it beautifully."
UP NEXT
Louisville hosts Southern Illinois on Wednesday night.
Grand Canyon hosts San Diego State on Wednesday night.
Never before had he seen a combination like DeWayne Russell and the rowdy Grand Canyon Havocs.
The Cardinals knew Russell, the Antelopes' blur of a point guard, would be able to score, yet had no way of stopping him, no matter what they did.
And as Russell continued to pour in shots on his way to a career-high 42 points, the students known as the Havocs pushed the Antelopes within reach of the biggest win in school history.
"I've never seen anything like it," Majerle said. "I've seen some great performances and that's the most amazing thing I've seen."
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Daron Russell was the game high scorer with 18 points to go with 6 assists in a big and surprisingly easy victory over Reading HS and Lonnie Walker. The recent signee with Miami was basically not a factor. Walker went 2-8 FG for 9 points and did not get his first FG until the 4th quarter when the game was out of reach. Walker is 19th in ESPN 2017 rankings.

http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/new ... id=2181388

http://www.readingeagle.com/sports/arti ... -in-opener

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... hurricanes
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Imhotep has big games this weeek with Neumann - Goretti and Martin Luther King.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Lonnie Walker is a 5 star recruit.Thats exciting.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fab 5 in Philly:
Mohamed Bamba Westown School ESPN #4 C - Likely to Duke or Kentucky
Quade Green Neumann-Goretti ESPN #22 PG - Signed with Kentucky
Brandon Randolf Westown School ESPN #40 SG- Signed with Arizona
Cameron Reddish Westown School (JR) #4 SF - Only a Junior not signed yet
Daron Russell Imhotep Charter Not Ranked ESPN PG - Signed with Rhode Island

Pretty good company. Daron Russell and Imhotep Charter play Quade Green and Neumann-Goretti this Wednesday.

http://highschoolsports.pennlive.com/ne ... l-players/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

David Beatty, the USC signee had 16 points with frank Martin in attendance.
Daron Russell had 25 points for Imhotep. He hit a 3 pointer at the 1st half buzzer to draw his team to within 3 points. URI Coaching staff was on site. Russell had 15 points in the 4th quarter including 11-11 FTs. He finished the game 15-15 FT shooting. No other player in double figures for Imhotep.

http://highschoolsports.pennlive.com/ne ... iver_index
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Why was Frank Martin in to watch a kid that is going to Southern Cal? There is only one USC.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Russell playing very well......Imhotep in the Finals of the prestigious Beach Ball Classic NY Eve
You can watch Daron Russell in the Championship Game NY Eve Night on this link:
Dec 31 7:30pm Championship Game: Imhotep vs Evanston Township HS - led by Nogel Eastern 6'6 SG Ranked #77 ESPN going to Purdue

http://www.htcconnect.com/bbcstreaming/

Dec 30 Box Score: Win over Dillard from Florida.
http://www.beachballclassic.com/stats/s ... game23.htm

Dec 28 Box Score: Win over Gorman Nevada
http://www.beachballclassic.com/stats/s ... game16.htm

Dec 27 Box Score: Win over NYC Christ the King
http://www.beachballclassic.com/stats/s ... game09.htm

Comments:
https://twitter.com/hashtag/BeachBallClassic?src=hash
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 10 times in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Imhotep Charter plays NY Eve at 7:30 vs. Evanston for the Myrtle Beach Beach Ball Championship

Last night's game write up plus others in the attachment:
* Imhotep (7-1, Philadelphia, PA) used its up-temp style to run into the 2016 Beach Ball Classic Championship game with a 80-52 victory over Dillard (11-4; Ft. Lauderdale, FL).
Imhotep trailed only briefly early in the first half but took control of the game with an 11-2 run that gave the Panthers a 31-20 lead with 3:27 to play in the opening half. Imhotep’s Daron Russell connected on a 3-pointer just before the buzzer to give his squad a 43-26 lead at the break.
Imhotep went on to lead by as many as 34 points in the second half and cruise into the finals. Russell, who has signed with Rhode Island, led the Panthers with 23 points, seven rebounds and seven steals.
South Carolina signee David Beatty added 18 points and four assists for Imhotep.
Dillard was paced by Jordan Wright’s with 31 points and nine rebounds.

http://www.grandstrandsportsreport.com/ ... -in-final/
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Poor Jordan Wright
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Russell player of the game in the finals as Imhotep wins the game 78-76 on a tip in at the buzzer. Daron was the leading scorer in the game with 25 and led his team's comeback (per the announcers) in the 2nd half after being down 16 points.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just as with the early signings last year, the early signing of Russell was especially huge. Beach ball is a prestigious national tournament that he excelled in.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Russell gets Most Valuable Plater Award for Beachball Classic

http://www.beachballclassic.com/beatty- ... mpionship/
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Sounds like he's going to be damn good.. and he'll get a year backing up Jarvis, battling him and all the other guards for a year before he probably starts his second year.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Russell received a McDonald's All American nomination

https://usathss.files.wordpress.com/201 ... t_1-10.pdf
3 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Yeah Fatts!
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

twisted3829 wrote:Russell received a McDonald's All American nomination

https://usathss.files.wordpress.com/201 ... t_1-10.pdf

That's Awesome!!! Bring it home!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

All Tournament Team for Beach Ball Classic in Myrtle Beach SC - held after Christmas...............

Most Outstanding Player: Wendell Carter, Pace (#3 ESPN - Duke)
Most Valuable Player: Daron Russell, Imhotep (Rhode island)
Keith Lane Sportsmanship Award: Michael Moreno, Scott County
Hustle Award: David Beatty, Imhotep (South Carolina Gamecocks)
Danny Defensive Award: Zackery Bryant, Providence

All Tournament Team (all players above are also All-Tournament):
* MJ Walker, Jonesboro (#20 ESPN - undecided)
* Chuma Okeke, Westlake (#67 ESPN Auburn)
* Chuck O’Bannon, Bishop Gorman (#34 ESPN - USC)
* Matt Lewis, Bishop O’Connell
* Jordan Wright, Dillard
* Darryn Everage, Westchester
* Isaiah Kelly, Pace
* Raiquan Gray, Dillard
* Elyiah Williams, Evanston
* Nojel Eastern, Evanston (#77 ESPN - Purdue)

PC Recruit Nate Watson 6'10" from Bishop O'Connell Virginia played in the tournament. Russell and Watson did not face one another but they did play two common opponents:

Bishop Gorman - Las Vegas
Imhotep won 72-54: Russell 10-18 FG, 3-8 on 3FG, 2-4 FT, 2 rebounds, 25 points, 4 assists, 6 TOs, 5 steals
O'Connell won 74-69: Watson: 7-8 FG, 2-3 FT, 6 rebounds, 16 points, 0 assists, 2 TOs, 1 Block, 0 steals

Dillard - Florida
Imhotep won 80-52: Russell 9-17 FG, 4-7 on 3FG, 1-3 FT, 7 rebounds, 23 points, 3 assists, 2 TOs, 7 steals
O'Connell lost 41-53: Watson: 3-5 FG, 2-4 FT, 5 rebounds, 8 points, 0 assists, 1 TOs, 1 Block 0 steals

Bishop O'Connell finished 2-2 in the tournament. Watson was not named to the All Tournament team
1 x