'15 OH F Rex Sunahara (Preferred Walk-On)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

'15 OH F Rex Sunahara (Preferred Walk-On)

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rex Sunahara - F
School: Bay HS
Travel/AAU:

Ht: 6-5
Wt: 200

RANKINGS:
Rivals: NR

OFFERS:
Rhode Island (football)

INTEREST:

0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: '15 OH F Rex Sunahara (Preferred Walk-On)

Anyone with any insight into the timing on Rex being added to the roster so late? Does it have to do with the football schedule?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

TruePoint wrote:Anyone with any insight into the timing on Rex being added to the roster so late? Does it have to do with the football schedule?
A need for a practice player.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah, I'm sure that is part of it. RR02 mentioned in another thread that part of his decision-making for choosing URI for football was that Fleming would allow him to play hoops in the winter, so apparently this wasn't something that just happened in the last week. Just curious if the plan was always for him to be on the basketball team why he wasn't added right after the last football game. Not that it matters, just wondering.

FWIW, he was a pretty good high school player in Ohio:
In basketball, Rex earned 1st Team All West Shore Conference, 2nd Team All-Northeast District, and All-Ohio Honorable Mention honors. He also earned 1st Team All Morning Journal Team and participated in the Greater Cleveland Basketball Coaches Association All-Star game.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Was it Baskerville that used to join the team late as a walk-on after football ended too?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yes, Baskerville was the last that played both sports. Not sure why Rex joined basketball so late.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

He had been in warmups on the bench at games for a few weeks. Was also seen at practices in pictures tweeted out by the @RhodyMBB Twitter account. Wonder if he couldn't officially add until a certain date due to some bizarre NCAA rule?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:He had been in warmups on the bench at games for a few weeks. Was also seen at practices in pictures tweeted out by the @RhodyMBB Twitter account. Wonder if he couldn't officially add until a certain date due to some bizarre NCAA rule?
Yeah that is my assumption, just not sure what the rule is.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Here is some video on Rex. This kid could be a diamond in the rough. I don't much about the competition, but from what I can tell on the video this kid has hops and can shoot from 3pt land. He looks like he enjoys blocking shots as well. It would not surprise be at all if this kid might actually contribute off the bench at some point this year.
Below are the links. If you watch the first video at the first link, keep watching. The first two or three highlight videos that come up after the first one show even more highlights of Rex. Disregard the title at the top of the page that says it's football highlights. It's not.
The second link below makes me wonder whether of not it's actually him, since the skin color of the kid looks considerable darker, but maybe that's just the video. I have no idea.

https://tape.preps.com/h/oh/bay-village ... 121717745/
http://www.ncsasports.org/mens-basketba ... x-sunahara
http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/ba ... baa554b6b4
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Unread post by zporiri »

My brother who graduated in May and was a 4 year scholarship student athlete on the URI track team told me this story. He didn't know at the time the name of the player they were talking about, but assumes it was Sunahara. He heard this story from other athletes while in the gym.

In May, due to a lack of planning Flemming (the football coach) realized that his long snapper was graduating and had never red shirted and therefore didn't have any eligibility left. Flemming thought he had red shirted and had one year left, but was wrong. They were screwed for long snapper for the upcoming season. There was a player (I'm assuming Sunahara) who was being recruited/was visiting for basketball but since the football team was desperate for a long snapper and he had experience with that, Flemming offered him a full ride football scholarship and would let him play on the basketball team in the off season. My brother thinks (it wasn't clear in the conversation) that this was just the plan for his freshman year until Flemming could recruit another long snapper for the 2016-2017, and then Hurley could decide whether to offer him a scholly or just have him walk on. Or he could continue with the football team and walk on to the basketball team again.

I'm guessing that Sunahara being "recruited" for the bball team is a strong word since it was never talked about on here. He was probably only interested in walking onto the basketball team.

Anyways, I'm not sure of how good the facts are that my brother heard, but this is what the other athletes told him.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I went back to gorhody, and Rex wasn't announced in the 20 original recruits from national signing day on 2/4, so this story is certainly plausible. So our football coach can't keep track of his own roster, that's great...
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Haha seriously, football coach doesn't even know when his scholarships are up...things are looking good over there!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Bay's Sunahara to walk on at West Virginia

A dream came true for Bay senior Rex Sunahara this week, as he was given a chance to be a preferred walk-on for West Virginia next season. The dream began in Cincinnati when Sunahara grew up watching Bob Huggins coach the Bearcats.

"It's a great opportunity to go to West Virginia," Sunahara said. "You can't play in a better basketball conference than the Big 12. It's a great opportunity to play for Coach Huggins."

Sunahara had offers to play Division II basketball, but he wanted the challenge of being a part of a Division I program.

"You take it for what it's worth," Sunahara said. "There are going to be better players than you. If you work as hard you can, it will turn out alright."
http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/n ... -notebook/
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

According to "MAXPREPS" he played three sports [football/baseball/basketball].......I could only find h.s. basketball stats for 14-15. So he must be a matriculated freshman. He averaged 16ppg, 10rpg, 5 blocks in what seems like a smaller school league.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Since the basketball team carries the football program. And the football program has been consistently terrible. If that story is true the football coach should have no choice but to keep him on scholarship for 4 years. I'm a more a beleiver in dropping the football program and aiming for the stars in hockey..or lacrosse..although I hate lacross. Can't believe I just wrote that when football is my favorite sport.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

A PIPELINE???---His brother is a sophomore and is 6'6 already. Currently averaging something like 12ppg and 9 rebounds per game. I believe they are of Asian background. Name is RJ Sunahara
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

There's no way he gets a basketball scholarship.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."