Negative recruiting

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Negative recruiting

Unread post by Ramulous »

Some ranbling thoughts....we seem poised to have a good year....hopefully the top of the A-10 and an NCAA bid.....then the "Hurley is leaving for the big-time" comes after that.....

.....maybe that is being whispered to our many targets in this early recruiting cycle already.....not even waiting to see where we end up in March.....

....no proof ......just speculation.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Negative recruiting

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

It happens all the time.
Opposing coaches love to foster rumors about some coach leaving
for a better job, or one who's on thin ice.
It's part of the game.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Of course opposing coaches are telling prospective recruits that Hurley is leaving after this season. You'd have to be extremely naive to believe otherwise.

They're telling kids that URI is gonna have one great season in 15/16 and Hurley will be gone afterwards, leaving for a Power 5 job just like his brother and Shaka before him.

I hope it doesn't happen but at the same time I'm a realist. The better season we have the greater the risk it plays out that way. If we are a Sweet 16 team...

And, if you're Thorr, you better make sure you have an updated short list of cell phone numbers at the ready just in case.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I know it will happen but am disappointed in the concept that it is hurting recruiting this year.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

All's fair in love, war and recruiting. It's the sleazy underbelly of college sports.

Opposing coaches probably are also sure to point out to recruits that a starting 5 of Iverson, Martin, Matthews, Terrell and Garrett are all returning the following season. Plus Thompson and Akele return, and oh, by the way, they've got a transfer from Indiana who'll be eligible too. Where will you find any minutes is probably what kids are also hearing.

Recruiting is a dirty business
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Minutes should be able to be sold to a big.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Sure it happens, but its not a problem that is unique to Hurley/URI. There will always be something coaches will use as negative against other schools, so it's not really much worth worrying about in my opinion.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018