'16 MD C Michael Tertsea (URI Signed NLI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '16 MD C Michael Tertsea

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Ace - is an impending commitment likely?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:FWIW, Cyril loved his visit.
So, is he still a possibility here, Ace?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Give him the verbal commit treatment@!2$@#

Can't believe we are raking big men in September
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

from a quick view of the video on YouTube he seems taller than 6'9' to me. My 1st reaction when I saw it was ,'he looks like player(s) Kansas gets every year'. Meaning height-wise & body-wise.

I know not exactly scientific... gut, emotional response. Better that than something like, 'Hassan looks taller than him' *wink*
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Sounds like he is 6-10 with great upside, can't go wrong with this commitment!
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

All over Twitter that he's verbaled to us.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

All over the first page here, too. As for the above comments about Langevine, it's early, and there can still be mutual interest without an early commitment. They've accomplished a lot in these first two sets of visits. Now's the time, with the bigs at least, to reset the target list and move forward.

Nice quotes in here from Mike-

“It has a good basketball program, great teammates to be around, great coaching staff, great campus,” Tertsea said. “I feel like being a part of the Rhode Island family will really help me to be successful later on in life.”

Tertsea held some 20 offers in all and selected URI over a handful of conference foes, including finalists La Salle, George Washington and George Mason. The Explorers and Colonials each sent multiple members of their respective coaching staffs to watch Tertsea work out on Thursday at The John Carroll School in Bel Air, Md., a session also attended by Rams’ assistant David Cox.

“He was just overwhelmed on the official visit,” John Carroll coach Tony Martin said. “He felt extremely connected to Danny and Coach Cox had done a phenomenal job as well.”

http://m.providencejournal.com/article/ ... /150929918
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Ace - Bill mentions a wing and a guard are now the targets. I would think another big being Cyril or Marfo would be the #1 target remaining, thoughts
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

I love this commitment! A big that sees himself as a center. And at 6' 10" with a 7'4" wingspan he'll be a great addition to next year's team! Imagine defensively needing one last stop and having Garrett being that pesky on ball defender, Terrell locking up the scorer, and then 3 seven foot wingspans (Iverson, Martin, Tertsea)!!!!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: '16 MD C Michael Tertsea (URI Verbal)

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

These are truly exciting times... I guess the staff was actually recruiting after all???
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Pretty quiet on the recruiting front until about a week ago. Things have quickly changed. Nice get by the staff. Welcome aboard Michael. Hopefully Marfo will join him.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I recently took my younger sister down to Philly for a weekend to check out temple, and La Salle. It's easy to see why kids living in that are would be impressed by URI. She was shocked how shitty the area is relative to Boston where she went to school last year. La Salle looks like a smaller version of the 90's URI campus, and is located in a super lousy area. Temple has a nice campus. But is in another awful area. The enormous amount of security features they have makes you feel a bit uneasy. Seeing all these shootings on the news at night was a bit scary also.

OTOH, URI campus is 100% nicer then when i was a freshmen back 10 years ago.The whole South County area around it felt like a negative back then. But so much has been added I feel the location and campus are now positive's for recruiting. My sister was not even considering URI seriously at first but wound up enrolling after researching the programs and comparing the campus to these other schools she initially had more interest in.

How many scholarships do we have left for 16 now? Is Butts a lock to come here in 16?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

EGram wrote:I recently took my younger sister down to Philly for a weekend to check out temple, and La Salle. It's easy to see why kids living in that are would be impressed by URI. She was shocked how shitty the area is relative to Boston where she went to school last year. La Salle looks like a smaller version of the 90's URI campus, and is located in a super lousy area. Temple has a nice campus. But is in another awful area. The enormous amount of security features they have makes you feel a bit uneasy. Seeing all these shootings on the news at night was a bit scary also.

OTOH, URI campus is 100% nicer then when i was a freshmen back 10 years ago.The whole South County area around it felt like a negative back then. But so much has been added I feel the location and campus are now positive's for recruiting. My sister was not even considering URI seriously at first but wound up enrolling after researching the programs and comparing the campus to these other schools she initially had more interest in.

How many scholarships do we have left for 16 now? Is Butts a lock to come here in 16?
I definitely think the pastoral nature of URI probably helps with some recruits, but I'm sure that it might not help as much with, say, recruits from the suburbs. In that case, playing in a major metro area might be seen as more of an appeal. Like a lot of recruiting things, I imagine it's a factor that tends to wash out over the long run, but the trick is to have a great staff that recognizes whether its a factor that can be used to land a kid. (Note: Just speaking generally, since I have no clue if that's what tipped things for this particular recruit.)
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Hey, hi there- Temple grad here. How are you?

There are at least 2 open scholarships for 16-17. They have one open right now, have signed Layssard and Tertsea, and lose McGlynn, Onyekaba, and Watson.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

called it...I knew one of the two would commit over the weekend.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

the scholarship situation all depends on what is going on with Leroy Butts, if he is still coming here next year then we have 1 scholarship open currently, if not then it's 2 and I see it being a big and a point
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

We should treat Butts as what he is, no longer signed to play for us and in open recruitment. Carefully reading some of Bill Koch's work seems to provide insight into the current status between Mr. Butts and URI Basketball -- Open on both sides. It does not at all look like URI is reserving that roster/scholly for Butts for 2016.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:We should treat Butts as what he is, no longer signed to play for us and in open recruitment. Carefully reading some of Bill Koch's work seems to provide insight into the current status between Mr. Butts and URI Basketball -- Open on both sides. It does not at all look like URI is reserving that roster/scholly for Butts for 2016.
Yeah I would totally agree. If another option comes along, I would expect the staff takes it.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

From ESPN-

Strengths:
A true big man with a good frame and physical tools, Tertsea has good size, broad shoulders and a reported 7-foot-5 wingspan. He has pretty agile feet, gets off the ground pretty quickly for a guy his size and runs the floor well. He's made consistent strides learning to play with his back to the basket and has some solid tools to work with offensively with good footwork on the block, some dexterity around the rim and a pretty naturally soft touch.

Weaknesses:
His overall offensive game, while not without tools to build on, is still pretty limited. He'll shoot plenty of face-up jumpers given the chance, but connect on only a low percentage of them right now. He tends to be a little slow catching and gathering the ball inside right now, allowing the defense to collapse on him, and isn't yet able to make a quick reaction play.

Bottom Line:
He's a rim protector who can run the floor, but right now his defense is still pretty far ahead of his offense, but he's not without tools to develop on that end of the floor.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

At Rhode Island, Danny Hurley and his staff picked up an important commitment in center Michael Tertsea. Though Tertsea is rough around the edges on the offensive end, the three-star center has tremendous size at 6-foot-10 and he pairs that size with long arms and very good athleticism. Already strong, Tertsea has the frame to develop into a low-post masher who defends, runs the floor and hits the glass. Tertsea is the second big man to commit to the Rams, joining fellow three-star center Mike Layssard.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... ID=1805225
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Maybe similar to Chukwu at providence college.....a little shorter....maybe a little heavier....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Good stuff there. I like that he will be playing against such good competition this year. Sometimes you see these big guys in highlight reels and it looks like they are playing against a bunch of 5'10" guys in the local rec league.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Wow he doesn't hold back on the answers! A strong paragraph per question there.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He sounds like a very smart kid and seems very coachable. This could be fun.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That's a really good interview. You should definitely click through if you haven't read it yet, but this part is my favorite, along with the stuff about Iffy-

CD: As far as the guys you met, collectively, what was it about them that made an impression upon you?

MT: All of the guys made me feel very welcome. They gave me advice and told me what to expect in a very genuine way. It was what I wanted to hear. They told me that if I were to come to this school, the coaching staff is going to work me hard and I'm going to get better. That's important to me. They were together as a family and that is important too, because they built a relationship together as brothers and also look out for each other. They're enthusiastic, hard workers, and I like the idea of being part of that team and helping to make it better.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Wow those are long arms
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Nice that he's a teammate of Immanuel Quickley too, the 4 star soph. pt. guard we are recruiting. Nice connection already with his coach and Michael himself.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Re: '16 MD C Michael Tertsea (URI Signed NLI)

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Haven't visited the recruitment side of the forum in a while, did not expect to see these commitments! maybe i should lurk elsewhere more often if it means getting news like this!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

John Carroll playing in a talented tournament in Charlotte lost in upset, now play in consolation today at 9am vs Northside Christian Academy

Providence (Fla.) 65, John Carroll (Md.) 42: Providence pulled off a stunning upset of the reigning tournament champion, shooting 67.6 percent compared to just 33 for John Carroll. Jacorie Archie was 6-for-6 from the floor and had 16 points, five rebounds for Providence. Mike Tertsea had 10 points and five rebounds for John Carroll.

http://hoodiesclassic.com/downloads/201 ... hedule.pdf

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports ... 03105.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mike Tertsea with a double double today

John Carroll (Md.), Northside Christian 29: John Carroll, the 2014 tournament champ, held Northside Christian to 19.6 shooting. Northside Christian scored in single digits in three quarters. John Carroll got 13 points and five rebounds from Immanuel Quickley and 10 points and 11 rebounds from Mike Tertsea.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports ... rylink=cpy
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Can someone get an update for how Mike's season is going?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It's so hard to find stats on some high school teams. My local paper will show box scores for high school games, so I guess you just have to find a local paper to get stats on Mike.
Last I found on him was that he was averaging a double double. Lots of blocks too
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Another championship for a Rhody recruit. John Carroll beat Mount St. Joseph tonight in an upset, 51-50, to win the Baltimore Catholic League championship. Immanuel Quickley hit the game winner. Tertsea had 9 points.

Also, here's an article on Tertsea from earlier this month from his school's paper. It's written like a high school paper, but it's still a good read. He seems to be an impressive young man with some interesting life experiences. And, he's really big.

http://jcpatriot.com/top-stories/2016/0 ... t-success/
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

"Rhode Island University" aahhhgggg
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

We better see some of these dance moves at Midnight Madness.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This is awesome! (and may have made me tear up) What an amazing act of kindness from his classmates and school community.

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That is awesome. And Michael is TALL.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Thanks for sharing that. I think I saw Coach Hurley retweet it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great story. And will be another great story when he graduates from URI 4 years from now!!!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Great story. I'm always so impressed by international students. They leave everything they know, as young teenagers, for what they hope are better opportunities. The article says that Mike hadn't seen his mom in 4 years, and the two had only talked over the phone.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... story.html
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wow great article, such a cool story. Already love this kid.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

National story now I literally just saw this on CBS Morning News! Wow!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

hrstrat57 wrote:National story now I literally just saw this on CBS Morning News! Wow!

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/students- ... raduation/
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This isn't a new article, but it's a good telling of the story and very complimentary to Michael.

As an aside, I also thought it was a nice gesture to have his host family listed in his information on the roster.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ins ... gh-school/
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Never knew about this site. Like it from what I have seen. The Tertsea reign is about to begin!

https://runninrhody.wixsite.com/uri-att ... l-Big-Mike
0 x