'16 NJ PF Cyril Langevine (URI Signed NLI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '16 NJ PF Cyril Langevine (URI Signed NLI)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Just released senior mixtape.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Lots of good stuff in there - showed a nice drop-step a couple of times, good leaper off both one foot and two feet, should be a good burst of energy off the bench in year one.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

sf2010 wrote:Lots of good stuff in there - showed a nice drop-step a couple of times, good leaper off both one foot and two feet, should be a good burst of energy off the bench in year one.
And very strong. And you know when Marshall gets a hold of him, he'll get even stronger.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Looks like he can handle the ball a little to. Not that he'll be playing guard or anything but he can at least put the ball on the floor and not look lost.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

ooooooooooooohhhhh can't wait for next season!!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I get so nervous when I see new posts about our signed recruits.....they changed their minds....they got hurt....they didn't meet academic requirements.....

My fatalistic nature as a Ram fan.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Ramulous wrote:I get so nervous when I see new posts about our signed recruits.....they changed their minds....they got hurt....they didn't meet academic requirements.....

My fatalistic nature as a Ram fan.....
Me, too, but I trust the coaches are in regular contact with them to make sure they stay excited about being a Ram. These guys are coming into a great situation ..... lots of existing talent, but still have an opportunity to play significant minutes on a potential tournament-bound team.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

a very quick jump when dunking
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting,s ... /173829646

This article is a couple months old, but there's some interesting info in it.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: '16 NJ PF Cyril Langevine (Offer)

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:"Those kids would be nice April and May pickups as last resort players on a staff that lost miserably on other key guys."
RJ, sounds like BAR was reading the PC board. Also sounds like he was right.
Cooley wants 1 big. If he gave up on Gabriel, Keita, or Marfo and signed Cyril Langevine, he would be absolutely destroyed by fans. If they missed on those top guys and had to scramble and try to get a next-best list together, then guys like Cyril and Tertsea would be solid pickups. I'm just not giving up on them for that. Marfo? Maybe, since he's not even in the class of Gabriel or Keita. Again, it's all relative to the targets you are chasing and where you stand with them. If Hurley's top choice was Marfo, then it's not as big a drop. If Cooley is looking at Keita and Gabriel, than it is. Quoting me when I am looking at it from a PC perspective is different than what I may think from a URI perspective where they probably got their 2, 3, and 4 targets and should be happy with that.
I was going back through some old recruiting threads and found this gem. Turns out PC not only didn't get Langevine but didn't get Gabriel (Kentucky), Marfo (GW) and Keita (South Carolina). They did get Kalif Young, who was not rated by ESPN.
I assume Cooley was "absolutely destroyed by fans" for this.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Great find. And they are destroying him if destroying means heaping praise Khalif Young as if he's the second coming.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: '16 NJ PF Cyril Langevine (Offer)

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:"Those kids would be nice April and May pickups as last resort players on a staff that lost miserably on other key guys."
RJ, sounds like BAR was reading the PC board. Also sounds like he was right.
Cooley wants 1 big. If he gave up on Gabriel, Keita, or Marfo and signed Cyril Langevine, he would be absolutely destroyed by fans. If they missed on those top guys and had to scramble and try to get a next-best list together, then guys like Cyril and Tertsea would be solid pickups. I'm just not giving up on them for that. Marfo? Maybe, since he's not even in the class of Gabriel or Keita. Again, it's all relative to the targets you are chasing and where you stand with them. If Hurley's top choice was Marfo, then it's not as big a drop. If Cooley is looking at Keita and Gabriel, than it is. Quoting me when I am looking at it from a PC perspective is different than what I may think from a URI perspective where they probably got their 2, 3, and 4 targets and should be happy with that.
I was going back through some old recruiting threads and found this gem. Turns out PC not only didn't get Langevine but didn't get Gabriel (Kentucky), Marfo (GW) and Keita (South Carolina). They did get Kalif Young, who was not rated by ESPN.
I assume Cooley was "absolutely destroyed by fans" for this.
Iggy, reading comprehension must not have been a strong suit in school, huh?

My point still remains true --- If Cooley had signed Kalif Young before Gabriel, Keita, and Marfo were off the board, what do you think the response from Friar fans would have been? See my point above, once those guys are off the board, you start looking for talent all over, but when you prioritize certain guys and put them on a list as "primary targets," you basically have to sell out on them and that is what Cooley did... I've been very critical of Cooley in the past for this, but it's his style and while it does produce it's share of ugly misses, it has also produced it's share of unforseen hits (see Nate Watson, who most thought was headed to Maryland or NC St, but ended up committing to PC on his official visit in September. Watson is ranked 90th in the 24/7 average rankings).

I'd say Young was actually a good hit for Cooley, seeing as how he missed on many frontcourt targets but was able to find the under-the-radar Canadian and build a good relationship before schools like Oklahoma, Vanderbilt, and Purdue tried to get involved. Young was low in the 24/7 ranking and unranked in many services, because often times they do not produce full rankings of Canadian players who do not play HS basketball in the US. Many scouts who have seen him play have called him major conference talent and said he would have been ranked around the 150s had he been ranked by all. There is a difference in someone like Young, who PC recruited this year, and someone like Quadree Smith, who PC recruited last year.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Actually, reading comprehension was a strong point. Obviously, you skipped logic class.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

After watching Young against UVM last night I must say that he has a long way to go before he is able to play well enough to help the Friars at all. He has size and that is about it.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

eli#10 wrote:After watching Young against UVM last night I must say that he has a long way to go before he is able to play well enough to help the Friars at all. He has size and that is about it.
I mean in PC's defense, it was one game and he's a freshman.

Do you remember how lost Hassan looked in his first game against RIC, a D3 school?
1 x
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Actually, reading comprehension was a strong point. Obviously, you skipped logic class.
Here, let me quote for you ...
Iggy1979 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote: Cooley wants 1 big. If he gave up on Gabriel, Keita, or Marfo and signed Cyril Langevine, he would be absolutely destroyed by fans. If they missed on those top guys and had to scramble and try to get a next-best list together, then guys like Cyril and Tertsea would be solid pickups. I'm just not giving up on them for that.
I assume Cooley was "absolutely destroyed by fans" for this
Fail to see where logic plays a factor in inaccurately quoting or giving false impressions.
eli#10 wrote:After watching Young against UVM last night I must say that he has a long way to go before he is able to play well enough to help the Friars at all. He has size and that is about it.
Young is raw and will take some time to development into a major conference player. He has the size and the skills, but like many bigs who aren't McD's AA's, needs to learn how to play the game the right way since he can't bully people like he used to. He has good size, good hands, and quick feet, but it's now about that next level of development, which includes awareness, increased strength, and skill development. Ideally he'd be playing a little less but he's the backup big so he's going to have to learn things on-the-fly.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x