'12 VA PF Ifeanyi Onyekaba (URI Roster Qualifier)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '12 VA PF Ifeanyi Onyekaba (URI Commit)

Unread post by BFC »

Most waiver requests are submitted well before school starts, so even if conference and school name didn't matter (which I agree it does), IF's would be at the bottom of the pile just chronologically. But we don't even know why he's ineligible nevermind what basis they're requesting he be ruled eligible. It doesn't seem to be grades, scores, or number or schools he attended so what is it? And how the hell could it have cost him years of eligibility before he even enrolled in college?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

It will be interesting to see if he plays in the Blue/White scrimmage this weekend
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Tom Penders

@TomPenders
@RodfromCranston Foreign players are often a waiting game. He was not at the practice that I was at last week
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Too bad, really.

Hope we get a full explanation from someone.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Weird, so maybe they had to get him qualified first before they could file the waiver to play this year? So confusing...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I still wish somebody would explain what the problem is with The Big O.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Some of the foreign students have shaky academic credentials from their days in their home countries.

It is great he is qualified and enrolled....I assume he is like Ledo at pc..he can practice but not play in games.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I believe he went to high school in the U.S. for three years, so that should make up the bulk of his transcript. And if they deny the waiver request, there's always the appeal... it's the process that never ends.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Not too much additional information, but, as mentioned above, they are going to file for a waiver. Zagoria mentions his "complex situation." I'm starting to think that no one really understands it all.

http://zagsblog.com/rhode-island/nigeri ... de-island/
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Seems like its just safe to assume we play without him this year. If he somehow becomes eligible it'll be a pleasant surprise. Even more to look forward to for next year I guess.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:Seems like its just safe to assume we play without him this year. If he somehow becomes eligible it'll be a pleasant surprise. Even more to look forward to for next year I guess.
The good news is:
1. He is now declared eligible by NCAA Standards - no more waiting on that decision - done
2. He also gets to play for 3 years
3. He is enrolled in our school and he can practice all season with the team

Now depending on how you look at the 2012 - 2013 season you could look at this from two viewpoints:

1. This is a lost season. Probably win in a range of 5-10 games. Finish out of the Top 12 in the A10 Standings, and little or no hope for NCAA, NIT, CIT or CBI. Work the transfers (and those who are not eligible yet) hard in practices. Mission is to prepare for post-season play in 2013 - 2014. In this scenario it is better that Onyekaba does not play this season and we save his 3 years for beginning next year. He still gets to practice with the team, adjust to the academic level of college and prove to the coaching staff his ability to be a starter on the 2013 - 2014 team. Assess the performance of the starters for this year and compare their performance to the "practice players" who are currently ineligible. The starters for 2013 - 2014 will begin to appear to the Coaches and to the current group of players. Some will think about transferring out or accept their future playing time based on how they perform and what they see.

2. This team can qualify for post season play. You think the team is capable of 15 - 18 wins this year. In this case you would be disappointed that Onyekaba cannot play this year.

In either case, the talent level at URI is improving, competition for playing time in 2013 - 2014 will be intense. The future looks good - period. But if only looking at wins and losses this could be a long season. Best to be a glass half full fan in 2012-2013.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:Seems like its just safe to assume we play without him this year. If he somehow becomes eligible it'll be a pleasant surprise. Even more to look forward to for next year I guess.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I still don't understand why he loses a year of eligibility.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

I'm not so sure that he loses a yr of eligibility. I believe, tho, that he would have to apply for the 4th yr afterward. It's like a medical redshirt. You still list him with his class but he he gets 2 yrs as a "senior" if it's approved. Difference between him & Ledo is that Ledo is only a partial qualifier. O is fully qualified so it's posible he gets to play some time this yr where it's not possible for Ledo this yr.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote:
The good news is:
1. He is now declared eligible by NCAA Standards - no more waiting on that decision - done
2. He also gets to play for 3 years
3. He is enrolled in our school and he can practice all season with the team

Now depending on how you look at the 2012 - 2013 season you could look at this from two viewpoints:

1. This is a lost season. Probably win in a range of 5-10 games. Finish out of the Top 12 in the A10 Standings, and little or no hope for NCAA, NIT, CIT or CBI. Work the transfers (and those who are not eligible yet) hard in practices. Mission is to prepare for post-season play in 2013 - 2014. In this scenario it is better that Onyekaba does not play this season and we save his 3 years for beginning next year. He still gets to practice with the team, adjust to the academic level of college and prove to the coaching staff his ability to be a starter on the 2013 - 2014 team. Assess the performance of the starters for this year and compare their performance to the "practice players" who are currently ineligible. The starters for 2013 - 2014 will begin to appear to the Coaches and to the current group of players. Some will think about transferring out or accept their future playing time based on how they perform and what they see.

2. This team can qualify for post season play. You think the team is capable of 15 - 18 wins this year. In this case you would be disappointed that Onyekaba cannot play this year.

In either case, the talent level at URI is improving, competition for playing time in 2013 - 2014 will be intense. The future looks good - period. But if only looking at wins and losses this could be a long season. Best to be a glass half full fan in 2012-2013.
Good points. The depth, or lack thereof, scares me. Hurley's teams tend to foul a lot, and not from lazy reach-ins. It's just the style of play. While we've already heard and seen some of the changes that the new staff has implemented, we're really not going to see a full Hurley approach until 13-14. There's just not the depth to work it yet.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Agreed, I fall mostly in your #1 situation. I'm just looking forward to seeing this team develop over the year and start the rebirth of this program. Going to be an up and down season in my opinion, but I do feel like there will be an upset or two along the way.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The NCAA give every player a FIVE year window, so where is this 3 year crap coming from?????
Mobley was here SIX years. Mike Brown had SIX years all told in NCAA D-1.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It was first mentioned by Dave Telep. I have no doubt that he is quite familiar with the basic eligibility rules (5 year window), so if he brings it up, there's something unique about Onyekaba's case.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

KMac said today that he's a full qualifier but can't play this year. what?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

These reporters need to clarify the situation and report exactly what is happening. I can't believe we don't have a complete status update right now.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ryan Rowdy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ryan Rowdy »

I assumed that he was still in HS in Virginia at the start of this year, then due to some sort of loop hole he became eligible (ala Billy Walker at K-State a few years back)?

A confusing situation indeed.
0 x
What Would Jon Clark Do?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Has there ever been a case when a kid started his September school year in high school and ended up in college just a few weeks later?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, all that is true (that he was planning on being in high school this year), but that's not the confusing part. Telep wrote that if Onyekaba didn't get on a campus this year, he risked losing up to two years of eligibility. Katz and Zagoria have further referenced the situation- that it's rare, complex, etc., but no explanation has been given.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:Yeah, all that is true (that he was planning on being in high school this year), but that's not the confusing part. Telep wrote that if Onyekaba didn't get on a campus this year, he risked losing up to two years of eligibility. Katz and Zagoria have further referenced the situation- that it's rare, complex, etc., but no explanation has been given.
Did he actually attend high school classes in September before he came to URI?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ace wrote:Yeah, all that is true (that he was planning on being in high school this year), but that's not the confusing part. Telep wrote that if Onyekaba didn't get on a campus this year, he risked losing up to two years of eligibility. Katz and Zagoria have further referenced the situation- that it's rare, complex, etc., but no explanation has been given.
Did he actually attend high school classes in September before he came to URI?
I would imagine that he did. Dan and Bobby were in VA to see him around September 20th, and classes had started the end of August. Onyekaba was originally going to be a regular '13 recruit before this all went into high gear. It sounds like in looking at his transcript(s), someone at URI saw that he could be eligible to attend college this year and also noted the issues (whatever they are) with future eligibility.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

For those that missed it, this is the original Telep piece (insider).

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/dave-telep/post?id=2309

from the article:
It would be too long and complicated to explain so I’ll shorten it up. Onyekaba had a choice to make. Due to his transcript from Nigeria and subsequent reclassification in the States, he was hours away from potentially losing not one, but two years of collegiate eligibility. That’s where URI enters the picture.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So my question is, is there any precedent to this? Has there ever been a case where a kid was in high school for 3 weeks and then in college the next week? This is possibly why it is more complicated than other cases.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Maybe. But I would rather understand why his years of eligibility are/could be affected, which seems to have less to do with when and how he started college and more to do with what happened before.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '12 VA PF Ifeanyi Onyekaba (URI Roster Qualifier)

Unread post by BFC »

"The Rams received some good news from the NCAA late last week. Nigerian forward Ifeanyi Onyekaba was cleared to practice with the team this season but, at the moment, will be unable to play in games for the Rams until the 2013-2014 season. URI is appealing that decision in an effort to get Onyekaba eligible to play this season. The 6'-8" 240-pound freshman would add some much needed beef to the Rams' front line."

http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/hurri ... -pc-brown/
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Saw him at the game last night. He is a large fella.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI knows and others know as well, it just isn't being made public by anyone yet. For example, how old is he and what proof about his DOB is available? Isn't there a maximum age?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

So 72 can you please be more specific? What do you mean "URI knows"?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Why is his age being brought up? That was never an issue before. According to this article, which was printed in April of 2010, he was 16 at the time. Seems to me that he's 18.
http://www.roanoke.com/sports/highschool/wb/243271
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

'72 used to be one of my favorite posters.
Lately, he's become Mr. Negative.
If you have something to say, say it! Don't try to imply something real or unreal.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Onyekaba is the only one without his birthday listed on the roster, so clearly- scandal! I think I'll start a rumor that he's really former little league star Danny Almonte.

This is the 21 year age rule: There is no age limit on who can participate as a student-athlete, however, a student-athlete who has turned 21 years old and has never attended a college or university as a full-time student will utilize a season of competition for every calendar year beginning with his/her 21st birthday in which he/she participates in organized competition in his/her sport while not being enrolled as a full-time student.
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

Ace What are you saying?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Looks like Onyekaba is 21? Just a guess?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody72 asked about there being a maximum age limit; there really isn't, except for the 21 year age rule. It was a general response, not necessarily specific to Onyekaba. My understanding, based on what I've read elsewhere is that he's 18 turning 19 this school year.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

ace wrote:Onyekaba is the only one without his birthday listed on the roster, so clearly- scandal! I think I'll start a rumor that he's really former little league star Danny Almonte.

This is the 21 year age rule: There is no age limit on who can participate as a student-athlete, however, a student-athlete who has turned 21 years old and has never attended a college or university as a full-time student will utilize a season of competition for every calendar year beginning with his/her 21st birthday in which he/she participates in organized competition in his/her sport while not being enrolled as a full-time student.

I've read this half a dozen times and still don't get it.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, as I read it, he's either 22 or is going to turn 22, before or during the season.
So, he played last year, which is one year, and this year, if he stayed in high school, would have added another year.
That's where someone got him possibly losing two years eligibility. If he's 21 or over last year, he lost a year.
When I was in 8th grade, we had a couple of Portugese immigrants in our classes, who were quite a bit older than us, but were there to catch up on the language/academics.
Who knows? I think Ace's finding the rule sort of clairifies it.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

i read recently that the juco kid Orlando Sanchez that signed with St Johns is 24 years old. And though he only played 2 years of Juco the NCAA was going to give him only 1 year of eligibility at St Johns. Could be a similar situation as it didnt seem like he should be robbed of 2 years if not for some type of age limit rule.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

To be clear, I never said this pertains to Onyekaba. Besides, don't most states have age limits for high school sports participation?
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

The age thing would make sense, but I don't think we should assume he's older than he was claiming in high school, he may just be unable to document his age.
Also, how the hell can guys like Chris Weinke play college football at 29 years old?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

URI96 wrote:
ace wrote:Onyekaba is the only one without his birthday listed on the roster, so clearly- scandal! I think I'll start a rumor that he's really former little league star Danny Almonte.

I've read this half a dozen times and still don't get it.
I understand it but only barely. What confuses me is the "organized competition in his/her sport" part. Anyone have examples of what that could be? Where would a player be involved in his/her sport if not in college or somewhere getting paid?

Weinke was so old because he played minor league baseball before going to college to play football. Brandon Weeden did the same thing.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

David Ortiz is really 55 years old.
0 x
rhodyras
Abdul Fox

Unread post by rhodyras »

didn't Georgetown have a guy back in the 1980's who worked as a mailman, then came back to school at like, 26? i don't think he got 4 years either...
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I read it as allowing you to play organized sports so long as you are not enrolled in college but in other sports....so if you graduate high school and go play baseball for a living for three years, but do not attend school, then you do not lose eligibility in say basketball or football.

So Big O must be near 21 years old and if he stayed in high school any longer would lose basketball eligibility by playing basketball.

His age also tells me that there is much disinformation about his background academically.

It may take a while for him to get an answer on his waiver.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ramulous wrote:I read it as allowing you to play organized sports so long as you are not enrolled in college but in other sports....so if you graduate high school and go play baseball for a living for three years, but do not attend school, then you do not lose eligibility in say basketball or football.

So Big O must be near 21 years old and if he stayed in high school any longer would lose basketball eligibility by playing basketball.

His age also tells me that there is much disinformation about his background academically.

I don't think so. It says "will utilize a season of competition for every calendar year beginning with his/her 21st birthday in which he/she participates in organized competition in his/her sport." That reads to me as being the same sport and not a case like Weeden or Weinke. But we still don't know for sure if this relates to Onyekaba.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ace wrote:
Ramulous wrote:I read it as allowing you to play organized sports so long as you are not enrolled in college but in other sports....so if you graduate high school and go play baseball for a living for three years, but do not attend school, then you do not lose eligibility in say basketball or football.

I don't think so. It says "will utilize a season of competition for every calendar year beginning with his/her 21st birthday in which he/she participates in organized competition in his/her sport." That reads to me as being the same sport and not a case like Weeden or Weinke. But we still don't know for sure if this relates to Onyekaba.
Believe he said exactly what you went on to say. Confused by your disagreement.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:
ace wrote:

Believe he said exactly what you went on to say. Confused by your disagreement.
Well then consider me equally confused. Didn't he use an example of playing baseball and not losing eligibility to play basketball or football? I'm reading the rule as playing/losing eligibility in the same sport.
0 x