'16 NJ PF Kevin Marfo (Quinnipiac - Transfer to Texas A&M)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Re: '16 NJ PF Kevin Marfo

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

reckless jake wrote:I wish we had just one more scholly just so we could have played it out with Marfo to the end. Not only because he's a tough, hard-nosed, skilled big man, and a good kid, but just to out recruit PC one more time and watch their over the edge reaction.
As enjoyable as it would be to see that happen, I doubt that Marfo would have committed as a part of a class with 4 bigs.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Let's wait and see if lowly (per PC fans) GW is the winner here. The fact that he is still visiting GW speaks volumes about his offer from PC especially after Cooley went up to see him practice 2 days ago.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Seems our friends up north didn't really want him anyways.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

In the beginning of their Kevin Marfo thread he was a top priority recruit for them. Around the time we got a verbal from Cyril Langevine they were calling Marfo a "Top 150" recruit & a much better prospect than Langevine.

With big Ed unable to close when he visited Marfo at school last week, and Kevin taking an official to GW, rumors are Marfo's choice is coming down to GW & BC. Suddenly, in their most recent posts, Friars fans never wanted Marfo anyway. He's slow, can't jump and is too short to be a legitimate Big East PF. He was never more than a back-up recruit to their higher rated recruits.

Gotta love it. I hope Kevin goes to GW.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

You can't take one post and use it as a sample for the entire fanbase. There were people who weren't particularly high on Marfo (they thought his game resembled a recent past Friar, Jon Kale), but most were excited for his potential. Those who know anything know that the staff was high on Marfo (as they still are with Sadee Keita), and were just up to visit him last week. In fact, just quickly gazing over the 2 pages on the Marfo thread after this "announcement," there was just one person who said they weren't high on Marfo, the rest either were disappointed, didn't understand the school selection, or implied they would have been happier with Keita (as any Friar fan would be).
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

We feel about your fanbase as they feel about ours.......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I would also add that our fan base isn't magically immune to emotional rollercoaster rides and shifts of opinion when it comes to recruits. The range in the Terrell thread is especially wide.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Particularly like the academic discussion over there, whereas some think GW and PC are on par. Yes steps from the White House and steps from the Crack House are very similar college environments, apples to apples.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

BAR, if you read in totality, you can see that most seem to understand PC's place in the pecking order. Good regional academic school, but not nearly the national or international appeal.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:BAR, if you read in totality, you can see that most seem to understand PC's place in the pecking order. Good regional academic school, but not nearly the national or international appeal.
Lots of assumptions being made. Oradell, N.J. is suburban and Worcester Academy is located on a beautiful campus. GW is a modern urban campus, lots of greens/greenery, D.C. is D.C. BC is by far more appealing to the eye than PC. It's sort of like a suburban Georgetown.

I read the PC board (again, visually unappealing), and the thread was sane in school comparisons.

If I were Marfo, would I want to commit to PC and then after a year "Up-Chukwu"??
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I think most of the fans who were moaning about the differences in academic reputations of pc, BC, and GW were either delusional or have never attended college....the friars have a lot of fans who didn't attend the college, didn't attend any college, and many grew up as friar fans and never paid much attention to the academics of any school...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RJ, I read them all, that's why i used the word "some" -- does its meaning elude you? Obv you arent a GW grad
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Announces his college choice on Friday... I think it'll be BC ( but what do I know). I hope he chooses GW.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Maybe he'll surprise everyone, announce that he'll be paying his own way to play for URI!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

reckless jake wrote:Announces his college choice on Friday... I think it'll be BC ( but what do I know). I hope he chooses GW.
Heard BC is out in front. Old friend Jim Christian is quietly doing a great job on the recruiting trail up there. I think Marfo would make four top 150 guys since he took over and the others mostly have multiple high major offers. Would love to have them back on the schedule. Have been some good games over the years.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

AND we always beat them
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Gonebarongone wrote:Old friend Jim Christian is quietly doing a great job on the recruiting trail up there. I think Marfo would make four top 150 guys since he took over and the others mostly have multiple high major offers.
Nice try, not true.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

BFC wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:Old friend Jim Christian is quietly doing a great job on the recruiting trail up there. I think Marfo would make four top 150 guys since he took over and the others mostly have multiple high major offers.
Nice try, not true.
I don't have time to look them all up but I know that Diallo, AJ Turner, and Marfo are top 150. Ty Graves was top 150, too. Maybe he dropped out. He had offers from Harvard, Clemson, Va Tech, and Virginia. Reyes had offers from Clemson, Ga Tech, Va Tech, Penn State. Milon was Florida State, Auburn, and Purdue. In any event, if you want to quibble with exact rankings, fine. My bigger point was he took over a program that was a nuclear wasteland after Steve Donahue and has picked up a lot of good players in 18 months. I think that's pretty good all things considered. And a URI guy, too. Good for him.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Gonebarongone wrote:
BFC wrote:
Nice try, not true.
I don't have time to look them all up but I know that Diallo, AJ Turner, and Marfo are top 150. Ty Graves was top 150, too. Maybe he dropped out. He had offers from Harvard, Clemson, Va Tech, and Virginia. Reyes had offers from Clemson, Ga Tech, Va Tech, Penn State. Milon was Florida State, Auburn, and Purdue. In any event, if you want to quibble with exact rankings, fine. My bigger point was he took over a program that was a nuclear wasteland after Steve Donahue and has picked up a lot of good players in 18 months. I think that's pretty good all things considered. And a URI guy, too. Good for him.
I haven't looked it up either but I don't think any of those guys were Top 150 on Rivals, maybe some other ranking site. Either way, it might be very good in the A10, I still wouldn't say great but BC isn't in the A10. Who have they outrecruited in the ACC? Clemson, maybe. Even being generous, they're recruiting has been bottom 3 in their conference since Christian got there. Its not great or even pretty good.
You know what was a nuclear wasteland? URI. Hurley's gotten 2 top 100 guys to the A10 to Christian's zero in the ACC. So if Christian has done great, then Hurley has done __________.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

For those interested, interview with Finkelstein either today or yesterday. Tough to tell which way he's leaning.http://www.coxhub.com/articles/the-upsi ... evin-marfo
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Marfo is #149 on Rivals. Diallo is #128 (2014) and AJ Turner is #122 (2015). Ty Graves was #121 but fell out. I think that's probably as many as Skinner had in all his years at BC and he won a lot. In the ACC and in the Big East (back when it was still the big east). BC will never out recruit those schools on rankings. They win by getting talented three/four year players that will bloom over time. Not sure why you have an issue with this, especially when the facts are on my side. Just tipping my hat to the guy for a nice start. Especially if they get Marfo. I posted about him months ago in this thread about how I thought he would be the centerpiece of URI's class if they got him. Hell, maybe they still might. Although, they would have to pull a Calhoun to fit him in, I guess.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Gonebarongone wrote:Marfo is #149 on Rivals. Diallo is #128 (2014) and AJ Turner is #122 (2015). Ty Graves was #121 but fell out. I think that's probably as many as Skinner had in all his years at BC and he won a lot. In the ACC and in the Big East (back when it was still the big east). BC will never out recruit those schools on rankings. They win by getting talented three/four year players that will bloom over time. Not sure why you have an issue with this, especially when the facts are on my side. Just tipping my hat to the guy for a nice start. Especially if they get Marfo. I posted about him months ago in this thread about how I thought he would be the centerpiece of URI's class if they got him. Hell, maybe they still might. Although, they would have to pull a Calhoun to fit him in, I guess.
Alright I withdraw my issue. Your facts show that a school can be last in recruiting in comparison to "those schools", aka all of the other schools in their conference, and be doing a "great" job. I'll go with that. So again, if Christian has done "great", what adjective would you describe Hurley's recruiting?
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

I think Hurley's first 24 months were great, too. He got impact pieces to build around. Definitely an A. Got a good PG in 2014 to go with a star in Terrell, although I think he should have added a big. I think 2015 is average at best. We can all see some upside but the offer lists are really pretty weak. All in all, he's done better in four years than anyone could have expected. I'd probably give it an A-.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Gonebarongone wrote:I think Hurley's first 24 months were great, too. He got impact pieces to build around. Definitely an A. Got a good PG in 2014 to go with a star in Terrell, although I think he should have added a big.
The '14 class included Watson.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think we got a great pg in 14.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

My personal opinion is BC's recruiting has been very weak for the conference they play in, especially considering the new coach buzz effect which is now gone. But if getting 2 top 150's and being on the verge of getting a third over 3 years is great for an ACC coach than what Hurley did in the A10 is well beyond great.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

BFC wrote:My personal opinion is BC's recruiting has been very weak for the conference they play in, especially considering the new coach buzz effect which is now gone. But if getting 2 top 150's and being on the verge of getting a third over 3 years is great for an ACC coach than what Hurley did in the A10 is well beyond great.
I think it's hard to do a direct comparison, which you seem to want to do. BC was seemingly in a long decay, while URI kind of slid from mediocrity into bottoming out for two years. I'm not sure which one is tougher to dig out from and to sell recruits on turning around. My instinct is that BC might have been an even tougher rebuild than URI, just because they hired Christian, who wasn't exactly the world's hottest candidate. The ACC is a better conference than the A-10, but it's also much harder to compete in it too. To paraphrase a famous philosopher, mo money mo problems.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

SGreenwell wrote:
BFC wrote:My personal opinion is BC's recruiting has been very weak for the conference they play in, especially considering the new coach buzz effect which is now gone. But if getting 2 top 150's and being on the verge of getting a third over 3 years is great for an ACC coach than what Hurley did in the A10 is well beyond great.
I think it's hard to do a direct comparison, which you seem to want to do. BC was seemingly in a long decay, while URI kind of slid from mediocrity into bottoming out for two years. I'm not sure which one is tougher to dig out from and to sell recruits on turning around. My instinct is that BC might have been an even tougher rebuild than URI, just because they hired Christian, who wasn't exactly the world's hottest candidate. The ACC is a better conference than the A-10, but it's also much harder to compete in it too. To paraphrase a famous philosopher, mo money mo problems.
I'm not trying to do a direct comparison. I think BC's recruiting should be compared to ACC programs and URI's should be compared to A10 programs. But the reality is the level of talent URI has brought in under Hurley is better than the level of talent BC has brought in under Christian. The poster who was praising Christian has always been reluctant to give Hurley any credit. I'm just pointing out there's no way anyone could argue that Christian's recruiting has been better than Hurley's, so if you believe Christian has done a great job recruiting, you must think Hurley's recruiting has been monumental.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How tough are BC's academic standards these days? I know when O'Brien was there, they were very tough. And yes Duke, Stanford, etc. get players, but that's a whole different level.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Yep...harder to get a hoops recruit into BC than Duke. Not sure about Stanford. K gets anyone he wants in. O'Brien had a monster class coming in one year in the late 90s. Some very highly rated BABC kids. From what I understand, he told them that they were in and the head of admissions declined to admit them. There was an ugly lawsuit after that. Set BC back a long time with local kids and AAU programs. Skinner, obviously, did very well but not because of anyone in New England.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Margo announces his selection at his school this afternoon. Hearing PC is out of the running. We will soon see.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

K mac thinks it will be BC.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

5pm announcement. Would be a good catch for the A10. Would be yet another swing and miss for northern RI. I know who we should foul late in games - his FT shooting needs work but he is a relentless and awesome rebounder especially on the offensive glass. I'm guessing GW.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It's Official:
Marfo to A10 George Washington
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Great job by GW to keep him in the A10. He gets a good basketball conference, his family gets their way with the academics- everyone's happy, except Christian, I guess.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

18m18 minutes ago
The Bird ‏@TheBirdmanJrJr
@KevinMarfo told me he had cut BC earlier in the day and it was down to PC and GW. An absolute steal for GW and the A10. #TheBird
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

So PC gets out recruited by GW....

Waiting for friar spin on that one.

Nice!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '16 NJ PF Kevin Marfo (GW Commit)

The A10 over the BE and the ACC....sweet!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:So PC gets out recruited by GW....

Nice!
Like this? Kevin McNamara ‏@KevinMcNamara33 · 5m5 minutes ago
In a true rarity in college hoop recruiting, word is Kevin Marfo's decision was all about academic fit. Good for GW
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Nice!
I think the worse diss is that BC got beaten out by PC and GW, even though it seemed like they had him in the bag.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

SGreenwell wrote:

Nice!
I think the worse diss is that BC got beaten out by PC and GW, even though it seemed like they had him in the bag.
Yeah tough one for BC on both the basketball and academic fronts. If the decision was really mostly about academics, BC fancies itself as a premier academic institution. And it if wasn't primarily about academics, then its basketball program got beat out by George Washington's. So it's a lose/lose for them - no way to spin it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Here's a good one from a PC idiot, whom I assume thinks his team is in a far superior conference.

"Have fun in the A10...lol"
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PC fans are all about Sedee Keita now. He is visiting Temple this weekend. I would love to see him commit to Temple in a couple of days and crush the hopes of PC fans
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The Philadelphia area is currently under a tornado warning- we welcome you, Sedee. Please hold on. Temple's homecoming is this weekend- can't wait to cheer on the 4-0 Owls football team! Football turnarounds are so difficult, but when they happen, it's pretty great.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Dayton had more fun last year in the NCAA tournament than the friars did......
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

For the record....both GW and BC have medical schools, law schools, and established MBA programs......all of them highly thought of....yet many scout posters cannot see the academic difference between pc and these schools.....so their delusion in the size of the chasm between the big east and the A-10 is understandable....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Sometimes people hold on to what once was. Take URI for example. The Pharmacy program and the Oceanography program were basically non existent in the late 70's early 80's. Add the Nursing and Engineering and Biosciences and we are really improving academics. But pc, the size of a high school is superior. Guess civics is important. Great for GW and the A10.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I agree, they don't seem to grasp that things change...a couple posters can't believe a kid chose to play in the A10 over the ACC or NBE.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Billyboy78 wrote:

Nice!
Like this? Kevin McNamara ‏@KevinMcNamara33 · 5m5 minutes ago
In a true rarity in college hoop recruiting, word is Kevin Marfo's decision was all about academic fit. Good for GW
KMac isn't a journalist, he is essentially a PC superfan. These NBE fans have serious insecurities about where there new league fits in the latest CBB landscape.
0 x