'16 NJ PF Kevin Marfo (Quinnipiac - Transfer to Texas A&M)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: '16 NJ PF Kevin Marfo

Unread post by TruePoint »

Yes, I don't doubt we have had some contact with him, but does anyone have a good sense of who our top targets are and where we are devoting our attention and resources? I don't, as much as I try and would like to. I think one piece of it is whenever anyone sees "NJ" next to a guy's name they think we are going to be seriously involved. I've had to talk myself out of doing that.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

TP, the fact is, since Dan has gotten here,
we've signed ONE NJ four year player.
Mike Aaman, who was ticketed for Wagner.
So much for the vaulted and mythical Jersey pipeline
and specificall, the St. Anthony one.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

I don't even bother with the "NJ" denotation. I look for the "Tweets," etc., Most of these kids don't even play for their local high schools or local parochial schools. They go to prep schools somewhere, along the East Coast, the best of the lot predominantly in New England.
When I was a kid, guys who went to "prep school" were from families who were larger than life and lived places that were rumored to be legendarily so huge that they became figments of our imaginations.
At the other end of the spectrum, in terms of legend, there was Spike down in Silver Lake.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Quite an expansive list-

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

A challenge but no one unbeatable in a recruiting battle on that list.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

3 ACC teams and 1 Big10 team....the rest mid majors...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

So as of now looks like Tertsea and Marfo as our two big targets that have reciprocated.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote:So as of now looks like Tertsea and Marfo as our two big targets that have reciprocated.
What happened to Lard? I thought he was visiting?
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Rhode Island : Coach Hurley had done a great job at Rhode Island . It is also becoming a powerhouse in the Atlanta 10. He wants to develop my game and bring me to the next level .
- See more at: http://www.wiseeyesports.com/rankings-r ... Exh9A.dpuf
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

This is my favorite target in the 2016 class. Hope the staff locks him down. I think he could significantly contribute next year on what would be a very good team.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

BFC wrote:
Rhode Island : Coach Hurley had done a great job at Rhode Island . It is also becoming a powerhouse in the Atlanta 10. He wants to develop my game and bring me to the next level .
- See more at: http://www.wiseeyesports.com/rankings-r ... Exh9A.dpuf

Love the Atlanta 10 Conference :lol:
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Let's get him too!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, in cutting from 10 to 5, he cut Pitt, Ga. Tech, Minnesota, UMass and St. Joe's. I'd have to think we have a shot now.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I don't know who The Bird is, but he says Marfo is visiting.

The Bird ‏@TheBirdmanJrJr · 23m23 minutes ago
And the recruiting news just keeps coming; on the heels of his cut to 5, hearing that @KevinMarfo is setting up visit to URI #Rhody #URI
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Very interesting............
URI A10 - Local
PC BE - Local
Boston College - ACC Local
GW A10 - Not Local
Depaul BE - Not Local

I've seen him play numerous times. Very strong,physical player with a commanding presence for rebounding both offensive and defensive
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:Let's get him too!
Dan's going to troll everybody and send out a five forward line-up.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

I'd be ecstatic with a class of Layssard, Marfo, and Igbanu or Langevine! And that still leaves one more spot...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ALL THE BIGS
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:So, in cutting from 10 to 5, he cut Pitt, Ga. Tech, Minnesota, UMass and St. Joe's.
And this is why recruiting will drive you crazy if you follow every little piece of info- Pitt, Georgia Tech, Minnesota, UMass, and St. Joe's had head coaches watching him the first day they were allowed back in the gym, and a week later, they don't make the final list.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If Marfo commits to URI the pc board is going in meltdown mode.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Marfo starts a visit to BC tomorrow and is scheduled to visit Providence later this month.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Does he have a visit scheduled with us?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Shaolin Swat wrote:Does he have a visit scheduled with us?
According to the tweet billyboy posted, but do we know who birdman is? He had something else recently, too.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

One idiot on the Friar board is on record as saying Layssard would probably been their 4th choice if they got to the spring signing period after not getting a power forward in November. How is that for "sour grapes"? If we do get Marfo their board will blow up and be unoperative for at least a week.
For some reason I think the Friars and BABC do not have a good relationship.
Friartown needs a huge dose of humility which could begin with Marfo committing to us and getting their asses handed to them on December 5th.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't know how you guys read the PC board. Going there is willingly depleting your brain cell count.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

To be fair to RJ, who posted on the friar board, stated that Layssard was a second tier fallback recruit for them....they like Keita, Gabriel, and Marfo better...maybe the get one of them...maybe not...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:Does he have a visit scheduled with us?
According to the tweet billyboy posted, but do we know who birdman is? He had something else recently, too.
Birdman's tweets seem awfully similar to the Kingston Ram, who disappeared suddenly from twitter over a year ago. I'm not sure how reliable his info is.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I am hesitant to trust random sources on twitter with "scoops," but making his final five is reason enough for me to think we will get a visit if he doesn't commit somewhere else first.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Don't forget, Marfo was already on campus for an unofficial in June.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Sorry. "Official" visit, I should have specified.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

...meaning he's seen the campus and facilities and liked them enough to put us in his top 5. Now to get him back on campus with the students back and have Dan close the deal.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

eli#10 wrote:One idiot on the Friar board is on record as saying Layssard would probably been their 4th choice if they got to the spring signing period after not getting a power forward in November. How is that for "sour grapes"? If we do get Marfo their board will blow up and be unoperative for at least a week.
For some reason I think the Friars and BABC do not have a good relationship.
Friartown needs a huge dose of humility which could begin with Marfo committing to us and getting their asses handed to them on December 5th.
Can we please not mischaracterize my statements in an attempt to rally support?

Layssard was very much a "secondary" target.The staff liked him, but had prioritized a top tier of Gabriel, also working hard on Marfo and Keita because Gabriel is very very far from a likelyhood. After those guys consisted that next level which included Layssard, JJ Matthews out of VA, etc. PC has 2, 3 scholarships tops next year if they needed to create a space. They need a big, and desperately need a PG with the very very likely departure of Dunn. Thus why I said, if we get to the spring and people are lamenting losing on someone like Layssard, it means PC had a really crummy frontcourt recruiting season that they basically missed on all top targets.

The only accurate statement is that PC and BABC do not have a good relationship. It was fine until 2010, when there was the situation with Greedy showing a recruit a good time, a BABC recruit. Then they patched things over when Papile handed them Chris Driscoll and said fine a role for him or get lost. Then Cooley came in and kicked Driscoll to the can, Papile got all pissed about it, and then blamed PC for hiring him when the article came out about Driscoll and Noel. Their relationship has been tenuous at best, although I'm not privy to where it stands now. The fact that PC even made Marfo's final 5 given the relationship is impressive in itself, they haven't really even sniffed any of their players being part of the "Final 7" for Nerlens Noel, a list most PC fans know they weren't on because of merit but because he had a girl there and PC wouldn't pony up the necessary resources to obtain his services.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

"Resources?" Interesting way to put it, to say the least.

Hey, good info RJ, you are a straight shooter.

I also think we have a better chance with Marfo than you do, and what you said kind of confirms that, of course our relationship with BABC is a work in progress also......
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RJ, I think that's a completely fair assessment of the situation and didn't read that as sour grapes.

Similarly if we hadn't got Layssard and were lamenting missing out on say, Igbanu, in the spring, we would have had an awful year recruiting because we didn't get any of our primary guys. If you're scrapping for needed front court guys in the spring any year, it's probably been a bad cycle for your team.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Said back in the spring that Marfo was the most important guy in this cycle. He is exactly what this roster needs.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

GBG, have you seen a lot of him? Why is he the most critical guy? Technically speaking his list of suitors is not as impressive as Layssard's....
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Love guys that blow up in the spring/summer of their junior year. Improvement is not linear with these kids. I also think you undervalue the list of offers because the early ones weren't great. BC, PC, Xavier, Kansas State, Pitt, Minnesota. That's pretty good. I also love guys who are skilled in the paint and are great six feet and in. When Jaime Dixon said he was like Dejuan Blair, it just solidified it for me. I just think for this specific roster, he would be a perfect fit.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

From the article: "Rhode Island: “Coach Hurley is another great coach and they are probably one of the top teams in the Atlantic-10 right now,” he said. “They have a lot of talent on their team, a great staff and some very impressive facilities.”

Awesome to have this now. It was a long time coming.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Still no OV scheduled?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

We know that without an official visit,
there's zero chance.
Official visits? I'll bet on Hurley and company closing'the deal,
more times than not.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Marfo might be waiting to schedule a visit until Langevine makes his decision......
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Obviously no longer a target, but Marfo is visiting George Washington this weekend.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Interesting to see what a player we moved on from, one that had been a 3rd or 4th option for us, is now up to. Perhaps PC is still a possibility for his services. The Friars still have open scholarships since several players that they had been heavily recruiting decided to go elsewhere. He probably would do well there given he should get plenty of playing time since they have little size.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RF1, I see what you did there, troll away my friend, troll away :D
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Seems like Rhody was always on the periphery on Marfo. Whether that was the staff liking the other guys better or Marfo liking PC or BC better, who knows? Still think he is a monster. His type of game is just not around all that much.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Periphery or not, Marfo put URI on his first list of 10 and kept them when he narrowed it down to 5. Doubt it's likely, but I'd love to see him at GW. BC could use him. They could use just about anybody right now.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

I wish we had just one more scholly just so we could have played it out with Marfo to the end. Not only because he's a tough, hard-nosed, skilled big man, and a good kid, but just to out recruit PC one more time and watch their over the edge reaction.
0 x