'15 JUCO PF - Andre Berry (URI Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '15 JUCO PF - Andre Berry (URI Verbal Commit)

Unread post by McRam »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I base everything off of my experience playing against URI guys my age too.
This is my experience also!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :lol: :lol:

https://mail.google.com/mail/?pli=1#inb ... 8af4a210d8
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: '15 JUCO PF - Andre Berry (URI Commit)

Unread post by Running Ram »

Give this kid some time and I'm willing to bet he is going to pleasantly surprise many, call it a gut feeling but I'm basing my feeling on the fact that I've known other guys of a similar body type that get written off as in no way as athletic as other more "in shape" athletes, if berry is 90% the athlete as the skinny guys he'll roll over people, seriously I think he's going to be legit. Think Vince Wilfork in a Rhody uni :)
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

In that ARD-Berry story or whatever it is, the asst coach would not come out looking too great, which is not the intended consequence of that tale, I'm sure. There's a time and place for that but during drills and conditioning for a player who needs it? I'm not certain of the motive, but there's an element out there that insists on telling tales. Hare's coming back (winter 2015 edition). Hurley won't even consider ARD or return his calls. Wires get crossed in communication, stories get flipped but complete fabrication I just don't get.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I'm with you Ace. Who ever writes that nonsense should be banned from here.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The Hare coming back deal were boosters who felt Hare got
a bad deal, trying to get him back on the team.
That was not a fabrication, because I've spoken to the people who were seeking this.
Obviously, it went nowhere.
Huge difference than completely made up scenarios and conversations.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ace wrote:In that ARD-Berry story or whatever it is, the asst coach would not come out looking too great, which is not the intended consequence of that tale, I'm sure. There's a time and place for that but during drills and conditioning for a player who needs it? I'm not certain of the motive, but there's an element out there that insists on telling tales. Hare's coming back (winter 2015 edition). Hurley won't even consider ARD or return his calls. Wires get crossed in communication, stories get flipped but complete fabrication I just don't get.
My thought on that story is that, even if there was a basis for it in reality (which I think is a very dubious proposition), the way ramsey presented it seems like it would be a gross misinterpretation of what he witnessed. In other words, I distrust the source, both in terms of his veracity and his ability to get the context correct even if he isn't just completely making it up.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, Pat Riley said it was true.
He was there to scout Berry for the Heat.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Pat is back?? That guy loves a good Gansett summer.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote:The Hare coming back deal were boosters who felt Hare got
a bad deal, trying to get him back on the team.
This is accurate. The make believe part was that it was even an option, aside from the height-obsessed contingent. Hard to imagine anyone pleading his case if he was a 6'3" guard.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

bressler3south wrote:Heck, Ramsey……..You sound like that guy who was a gas station attendant checking Pat Riley's oil……...
Maybe he's Ramsey Bolton?
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ramsey Bolton is the ultimate sicko, who needs to get roasted by
a dragon.

As for the Hare thing, I don't recall ever pleading his case.
That he was still on campus and hadn't declared that he was
transferring, left things open for whatever was posted about him,
realistic, silly, or otherwise.
Hare is the great "what if" to many posters here. I was never a fan.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Took this from the QUADREE SMITH thread. Everyone deserves to know the truth. This is totally true, just like this other disturbing story I heard first hand: The other day Berry was at Hope having a burrito eating contest against all comers. He eventually threw all competitors out because there wasn't enough burritos for him to eat. He did this one handed so he could middle finger Marshall and Hurley and their "fitness plan" for him. He said he came here to see the ocean, play a little hoops, and crush burritos...but he went to the beach and was all out of basketballs.

He was using his hoops scholarship to actually just get to RI and study under Rod "El Mariachi" Carri, best burrito eater this side of the Rio Grande. He knew that basketball was never for him and just strung Hurley along. He took a secret video of Dan losing to Bobby in a game of horse which he used to blackmail coach into a scholarship. Now we're stuck with him.

It's obvious we're in deep trouble this year. Kid's attitude and effort is poor, unless it comes to burrito eating..of which he looks to have the goods.

Seriously though - made up crap like the practice story is why this site is unreadable in the offseason. You guys are lucky I'm here to provide you with knowledge.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Pat Riley was there, reffing the contest.
I knew a girl who used to call burritos,"dirty assholes".
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rodfromcranston wrote:Pat Riley was there, reffing the contest.
I knew a girl who used to call burritos,"dirty assholes".
Heck Ramsey Burrito Bolton -- Talk about a lube job!!!!!!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Shaolin Swat wrote:
bressler3south wrote:Ace, this was from Ramsey, posted on the QUADREE SMITH thread. Could you please shed some light on this. Obviously, if anyone else could, please do so…Thanks, Bressler.

"I said it before I will say it again. Berry is horrible. he is fat and way out of shape. couldn't even play for 8 min stretches last season. Since he arrived on campus 2 weeks ago. I have personally watched him get absolutely abused by not just Hassan, which is to be expected but by earl Watson and even Onyekaba has made this kid look like he has no business in D1 ball.

The sad part about it, is the fact that this is the exact type of recruit that Hurley has always railed against. Hes always maintained that he wasn't going to give up a scholly on somebody who was a total reach because we were desperate. Well that's exactly what he did and with a kid whos only got 3 years of eligibility left. that is probably the only good caveat is that he will only eat up 3 yrs instead of 4.

He will not give us anything on the court this year and I don't see him as being a contributor ever. Stanford robinson is more likely to get in the game this season then berry.

They jumped the gun because they felt pressure to get a big on the roster. well they messed up. ARD was disgusted with the kids effort the other day and sent him to the showers early when he couldn't even complete an hr practice without having to beg out and sit down.

Knee jerk reaction by a staff clearly worried about there biggest weakness. But at the end of the day, a 6'8 tub of lard doesn't fix our lack of a true big. just makes the spot more glaring. Kid has no hands, zero touch. Mike hart told me that Bonzie colson used to put up 40 and 20 on this kid in scrimmages by just wanting it more.

The worst part is, the staff put him up against ousmane ba and technically I guess Berry was slightly better. But they got to see what hes got and its certainly not worthy of where we are intending to be.

Hurley grew up in his fathers system. his father has always repeatedly won, not by having the best bigs but by having the best guards, the best defense and the most effort. mix in some court intelligence and that bob sr toughness and bang you got st anthonys. The season thought to be St. anthonys best ever was the undefeated season chronicled in Adrian Wojnarowskis "the miracle of st Anthony" as anybody who has followed the hurley family or read that book will know, the only big they had on that team was former St joes forward Ahmad Nivins who sat out the beginning of that season and wasn't even a starter as the friars won the mythical national championship.

Danny certainly had some good post guys at St benedicts like Tristan Thompson and even a couple 7 footers mixed in here and there but the bottom line is, this isn't high school basketball. We can make do by having the best guards in the league and the best power forward and will most likely run through the A10 but we will see what our true problems are if we can beat tcu and square up with Maryland.

Maryland goes: C-Diamond Stone 6'11 260, PF-Robert Carter 6'9 250, SF-Jake Layman 6'8 210 as starters with PF/C-Damonte Dodd 6'9 240 and C-Michal Cekovsky 7'0 240 coming off the bench. Plus they got a SG named Jared Nickens who is there first guy off the bench and is the size of our best post player at 6'7.

All this stuff about us not being able to recruit bigs is total BS every other school out there whether they are P5 or not seemingly has guys coming off the bench that are over 6'8 and can actually play. We aren't asking for the moon here. Damonte Dodd was a 3 star recruit rated outside of the top 150 and last year as a sophomore he played 15.8mpg and put up 4.2ppg 4rpg and 1.6bpg. These guys are out there we just aren't really looking for them and that's the bottom line.

We offer 10-15 PFs and Centers; well we offer over 50 Guards. They are starting to make a name for themselves as a team that potential Big-man recruits aren't interested in playing at. They see us as a place for guards to run the show. Adding ARD will certainly help that stigma but I really think the real problem is that Hurley and staff don't necessarily see bigs as being key to what we are doing. Guard mentality."
Until proven otherwise, I put zero stock into what Ramsey sees or hears. I'll wait to pass judgment on Berry until I see him play for myself.

Here is one of SlyWilliamsCaddy's (SWC) Quotes.............If you don't think Ramsey is SWC then I have some oceanfront property in Arizona you might want to consider buying.

Post subject: Re: Matthews Showing Up in NBA Mock Drafts; URI Pro PotentiaPostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:37 pm
SlyWilliamsCaddy
atp I was wondering the same thing and my buddy only could see the car at first and was arguing with his boss that it was riley and his boss was saying there was no way he drove up here but riley is rich as all hell so he prob had his car shipped up and was waiting for him on the tarmac as he got off his private jet.

Heres my thoughts on it; look at who has visited in the first week and a half of practice. Arguably the best modern day nba gm since red. and every other team whether it was stevens and ainge last week or the sixers or sacramento or new Orleans or Washington. theres one common thread. They are all projected lottery teams. The cavs gm was here but even though they've been a perennial lottery team we all know that isn't happening this year.

The bottom line is, the secret is out. That's what riley said to my buddy. My buddy almost had a heart attack and got his autograph and said he wasn't washing his hand ever again (joking) but said that riley actually said to him "practice has been open for what? a week or so; look at whos already been up to check him out. You guys got something special, I haven't been up this way since lamar was playing. Enjoy the season because itll be his last."

He shook my buddies hand and got in his amazing car with his 10 thousand dollar suit on and drove off down 138 towards our beloved homeland.

Anybody who has ever doubted DH or his abilities as a coach or recruiter (especially after losing preston) well you can all go shove it. Bob Hurley Sr. told my good friend and rhode island legend, Ernie D, the day of Dannys introductory presser that "this place is a sleeping giant" and his son is getting us there.

We wasted 15 or so yrs with CFL and now within 2 and a half years of a real coach taking the job, were constantly in on top 100 talent even if we aren't landing all of them and we are already at a point where we aren't trying to get nba peoples attention anymore. The nba people are requesting permission to come watch us.

Think about that. Im 26 yrs old. last week I donated 1000 dollars to the program along with my season tickets. That $1000 at the time constituted about 1/15th of my total net worth. Its time for everybody to get fully behind this coach, this team and this program.

Im all in as I always have been. Rod is right there with me. As are many more of you. But we all need to start getting behind the ball and keeping it rolling. I know there are many of you out there who are twice and three times my age and have a hell of a lot more money then I do. Hell, I still owe the school and state and banks over $20,000 in loans and I took grief from my mother and father for not putting that money into paying off those loans and instead spending it so maybe Leroy butts doesn't have to buy his own books next year or whatever there going to use it for.

The bottom line is there are many of you out there that owe the lives that you live and lead today to the education you received from our university. Id give everything I had if I could because our team brings me happiness as it always has.

Open up your checkbooks, don't take that 2nd, 3rd or 4th vacation this year and donate. We are on the precipice of something special people. You wanna keep seeing the Pat Rileys of the world scouting OUR players, well make a sacrifice.

Sly Williams Caddy didn't pay for itself. haha. all joking aside. Our coach is world class; and if we want to keep trending upwards and living the high life like we used to well, were going to have to pay to keep it. DH and his family love it here but the bottom line is money talks. Anything and everything will help.

Cmon guys, we are the faithful. We have been waiting for this for a long time and here we finally are. Lets keep it going. Buy youre child or grandchild an extra jersey if that's all you can afford but cmon, this is OUR team. OUR pride and joy. and if a broke 26 year old can donate 1/15th of his net worth, then I know that there is a ton of pharmacists and engineers and doctors and millionaires out there that can do the same. There are so many grads out there who wouldn't live in their beautiful houses on the water with their brand new cars if it wasn't for our beautiful university. Its time to repay the favor.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to1XKxFlb2I

Ramster's Motivational Productions
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

He's listed at 6-8, 285 pounds on the URI roster. So Iffy plus 20. Did he lose any weight this summer?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Running Ram wrote:Give this kid some time and I'm willing to bet he is going to pleasantly surprise many, call it a gut feeling but I'm basing my feeling on the fact that I've known other guys of a similar body type that get written off as in no way as athletic as other more "in shape" athletes, if berry is 90% the athlete as the skinny guys he'll roll over people, seriously I think he's going to be legit. Think Vince Wilfork in a Rhody uni :)
This man might be a prophet.
3 x