'15 JUCO PF - Andre Berry (URI Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

'15 JUCO PF - Andre Berry (URI Commit)

Unread post by BFC »

Andre Berry - PF
School: New Mexico Military Institute
Travel/AAU:

Ht: 6-8
Wt: 260

RANKINGS:
Rivals: NR

OFFERS:
North Texas
Prairie View A&M
Texas-San Antonio

INTEREST:
Rhode Island
Virginia Tech

Stats: http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2014 ... eberry0jtd

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... rry-168530
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/andre-berry
Last edited by BFC 8 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '15 JUCO PF - Andre Berry

Unread post by BFC »

Berry prepped at St. Andrews in Barrington. It looks like he's only played one year of JUCO, so if he's eligible to transfer this year, he'd have 3 years of eligibility.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

BFC wrote:Berry prepped at St. Andrews in Barrington. It looks like he's only played one year of JUCO, so if he's eligible to transfer this year, he'd have 3 years of eligibility.
There seem to be 3 Andre Berrys. Is this the one who was at St. Andrew's?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If it's the kid from St. Andrew's, I hope he's improved. He was ranked #185 ..............IN NEW ENGLAND!!!...sorry for the yelling.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Better than the other guy who's supposedly visiting.
10.9 ppg. 62.9 FG%, 72,3% FT%, 54. rpg in just 7.2 minutes per game
(which is probably a bogus #)
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If you click on the game log, you will notice a bunch of games they had minutes as 1. With the games that have minutes, he played between 15-25ish. He scored in double figures in 14 of the 25 games he played. Just based on numbers he appears to be a decent prospect...but I have no idea how good the competition was. BTW, one site says he weighs 260.

1st TEAM ALL-CONFERENCE
*Emmanuel Omogbo, South Plains College signed Colorado State
*Malique Trent, New Mexico Junior College signed TCU
*Rob Gray, Howard College signed Houston
*Andre Spight, South Plains College signed AZ State
*Sam Finley, Howard College signed Ole Miss
*Willie Conner, Odessa College signed Has not signed
Torren Jones, Midland College JR
Cullen Russo, New Mexico Junior College JR
Andre Berry, New Mexico Military Institute
Pat Birt, South Plains College signed Tulsa
Aaron Bodie, New Mexico Military Institute JR
Shaquan Rhoades, New Mexico Military Institute
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bonzie is #35. I'm guessing Berry is #45?

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'd heard that JUCOs with 3 years left were going to be a target
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Hope I am not being too negative, but does this guy look like he can handle DH's practices and conditioning?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Dan will find out today.
At 1:00, he's working both recruits out,
and he said only one will emerge as the winner.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Dan will find out today.
At 1:00, he's working both recruits out,
and he said only one will emerge as the winner.
Meaning he offers one of them?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

yup, one or none.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:yup, one or none.
OK, so there's a chance he likes neither and the search continues.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Wow like Gladiators.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

OMG This is so exciting! Another showdown. I'll even take the loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :arrow:

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Andre's a large dude.

http://wordpress.nmmi.edu/nmmipost/file ... C_2774.jpg

Let D. Marshall at him, he seems to need it,
Last edited by ace 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Large would be good. I don't know that we necessarily need an incredibly skilled post player. Obviously that would be great, but it would be a luxury. The need is some interior depth that can rebound, defend and use five fouls if necessary. Anything more than that is gravy at this point in the 2015 cycle.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

With the limited knowledge we have on both guys, i'm leaning towards Andre. though I am concerned he may not be a fit for an up tempo style...if we ever get there.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

TruePoint wrote:Large would be good. I don't know that we necessarily need an incredibly skilled post player. Obviously that would be great, but it would be a luxury. The need is some interior depth that can rebound, defend and use five fouls if necessary. Anything more than that is gravy at this point in the 2015 cycle.
You mention this guy and gravy?
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Please none. Extremely disappointing to see this is all we seem to be able to attract. No big men on roster, so unlimited playing time, a potential top 20, ncaa, Atlantic 10 contending team and this is it? Beyond disappointing, I don't get it. Competing with Prairie View and UTSA? Are you kidding??
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bressler3south wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Large would be good. I don't know that we necessarily need an incredibly skilled post player. Obviously that would be great, but it would be a luxury. The need is some interior depth that can rebound, defend and use five fouls if necessary. Anything more than that is gravy at this point in the 2015 cycle.
You mention this guy and gravy?
Must be subliminal word association
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

giovanni wrote:

Please none. Extremely disappointing to see this is all we seem to be able to attract. No big men on roster, so unlimited playing time, a potential top 20, ncaa, Atlantic 10 contending team and this is it? Beyond disappointing, I don't get it. Competing with Prairie View and UTSA? Are you kidding??
So who do you suggest as an alternative? The unfortunate reality of the situation is that the type of player most people are hoping for does not currently exist.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

adam914 wrote:
giovanni wrote:

So who do you suggest as an alternative? The unfortunate reality of the situation is that the type of player most people are hoping for does not currently exist.
The invisible Greek lad playing tough open-court man-to-man in Ba's video.….
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think if they are not an upgrade over Iffy, what's the point? Do we want big guys being 11, 12 and 13 on the roster? Or 11, 12 with one open scholly? We need someone who can at least come in and occupy space.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote:
giovanni wrote:

Yeah, don't sign anyone if this is the best you can do. Its mind boggling to me that it seems this staff cannot attract at least a serviceable guy that is at least 6-8. I slightly remember Berry in tournament at RIC a couple years ago. Unless this kid has improved beyond dramatically, he is not helping this team compete for an A10 title and ncaa bid. Yes Dan and staff have done a great job recruiting guards and rebuilding program and we all like Dan and appreciate the job he has done, but it is baffling and somewhat scary that this staff can neither recruit any type of big, or develop Iffy or Earl to a higher degree. Regardless of how far we have come as a program, we are not going to the level we aspire without a some type of front court to help Hassan. Enough of 4 guard offenses, that's not getting it done any further than competing for an A10 title unless John Wall, Chris Paul and Klay Thompson are walking through the door. I like Dan as much as anyone, but he shouldn't be beyond questioning or criticism if warranted. For whatever reason, he is not getting it done with front court players. Let's face it, playing time and ability to get playing time on a winning team and a winning program are powerful recruiting tools. At least it should be enough to attract a higher level talent, serviceable big guy.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree 100% Gio.
Well, May just started, and as unhappy as I am right
now, realistically, we have to let this all play out,
before throwing in the towel in the spring cycle.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

If Dan promised a scholarship yesterday to the first player that makes a basket, I'll bet their still on the floor.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Berry shot 63% this season, so I doubt that's true.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Know zero about NMMI, but I would venture a guess that he faced far superior competition at St Andrews. I don't think he even started for St Andrews.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

giovanni wrote:Know zero about NMMI, but I would venture a guess that he faced far superior competition at St Andrews. I don't think he even started for St Andrews.
I once had a player who was being recruited by a service academy. He didn't have the grades to get in, so they wanted to send him to NMMI first. They have a player named Rashad Todd who had committed to a NEC school but didn't have the grades. Aaron Bodie to a MAAC school. They have a few other guys who were either D1 commits at one point or have committed to D1 schools. Not taking anything away from St. Andrews as they play in one of the top conferences in the country but I don't know if I would say "far superior competition" as NMMI played Juco powers like Odessa, Midland and South Plains.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Playing in the New England Prep scene and NEPSAC Class AA with schools like VT Academy, Tilton School, Wilbraham & Monson, McDuffie School, Worcester Academy and so on may have produced a couple of players at a bit higher level than the NEC or MAAC. Any Juco should not be compared to NE prep schools. Far different world.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I feel if we end up taking one of these guys then we should keep in mind that we haven't seen either of them play recently and we don't have any idea what role the staff has in mind for them. I'm not saying we should pop champagne if one of them commits to us, just that we should reserve judgment until we have more to go on. Maybe one of them can excel doing a particular thing for us even if he won't be an all-American.

It seems like some of the disappointment here is, as usual, a result of overly optimistic expectations. This time it is about what kind of player we would be able to bring in at this point. Someone kept mentioning the Greek kid that I believe will be a lottery pick and could pick any school in the country if he came over. I said it before and I stand by it: I'd love a first round big man to come here, but we don't NEED that in order to have a good season; one more big body that can rebound and give us an interior presence on defense would really help.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

But as recently as 6 months ago, we WERE involved with some pretty good big men. Silva, Aflakpui and Gustys reportedly all were considering us, and all of them had us on their final lists. I'll admit, I haven't seen any of those three or any of the two who were on campus yesterday play live. All I can go by is what I see on tape or what I read. Going on what I see from that, the two newer recruits aren't even close to being in the same league as the three we were involved with in the Fall. That's where the disappointment comes into play from my point of view.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

giovanni wrote:Playing in the New England Prep scene and NEPSAC Class AA with schools like VT Academy, Tilton School, Wilbraham & Monson, McDuffie School, Worcester Academy and so on may have produced a couple of players at a bit higher level than the NEC or MAAC. Any Juco should not be compared to NE prep schools. Far different world.
http://www.wranglersports.com/teams/men ... /index.htm
http://www.spctexans.com/d/MBB_Transfers.pdf

Just two of teams on their schedule. I'm sure with more research I could provide you with additional schools beyond the two I knew off hand. For example- South Plains has Jerron Martin who spent a year at Ole Miss, Emmanuel Omogoro who committed to Colorado State, Andre Spight who has committed to Arizona State, Luis Montero going to South Florida, Pat Birt going to Tulsa, David Kadiri going to Buffalo and Brandon Neel going to Wright State. Odessa is sending a kid to Maryland and a kid to Southern Miss among others. New Mexico JC has 7 kids with D1 offers... That is the competition he is facing. To say anything is "far superior" is incorrect.

I agree that high school basketball and Juco basketball are a different world. Often times you are playing against grown men, 2 to 3 years removed from high school graduation, vs playing 16 and 17 year olds. Juco in that part of the country is a whole different animal compared to Juco on the East Coast. Just check out some of the rosters, they are bringing in kids from all over the country. Many of these teams contain talented players who wont sniff the D1 ranks due to grades or other reasons.

Look, I'm not going to argue with you, but you are wrong when you say that the NEPSAC AA is far superior competition to some of the Juco in the Mid-west. The NEPSAC is arguably the toughest league in the country, up there with the likes of the Catholic League in DC. They pump out numerous High Major and NBA talent players on a yearly basis. But there is great basketball beyond that conference.

At the end of the day, does any of this mean that Andre can play? No, not at all. I'll withhold judgement until I see him for myself. If Hurley believes the kid can play, then hopefully he suits up in a Ram uniform. If he doesn't, hopefully we can find another suitable big.
Last edited by Bos8 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy I agree that in a perfect world we'd have landed a solid prospect in the fall. That would definitely be preferable to what we are looking at now.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Wonder if this kid has any pull for a certain center at St Andrews still there??
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Wonder if this kid has any pull for a certain center at St Andrews still there??
Well, he's one that I HAVE seen play live. I'm not impressed with him either.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Bos8 wrote:
giovanni wrote:Playing in the New England Prep scene and NEPSAC Class AA with schools like VT Academy, Tilton School, Wilbraham & Monson, McDuffie School, Worcester Academy and so on may have produced a couple of players at a bit higher level than the NEC or MAAC. Any Juco should not be compared to NE prep schools. Far different world.
http://www.wranglersports.com/teams/men ... /index.htm
http://www.spctexans.com/d/MBB_Transfers.pdf

Just two of teams on their schedule. I'm sure with more research I could provide you with additional schools beyond the two I knew off hand. For example- South Plains has Jerron Martin who spent a year at Ole Miss, Emmanuel Omogoro who committed to Colorado State, Andre Spight who has committed to Arizona State, Luis Montero going to South Florida, Pat Birt going to Tulsa, David Kadiri going to Buffalo and Brandon Neel going to Wright State. Odessa is sending a kid to Maryland and a kid to Southern Miss among others. New Mexico JC has 7 kids with D1 offers... That is the competition he is facing. To say anything is "far superior" is incorrect.

I agree that high school basketball and Juco basketball are a different world. Often times you are playing against grown men, 2 to 3 years removed from high school graduation, vs playing 16 and 17 year olds. Juco in that part of the country is a whole different animal compared to Juco on the East Coast. Just check out some of the rosters, they are bringing in kids from all over the country. Many of these teams contain talented players who wont sniff the D1 ranks due to grades or other reasons.

Look, I'm not going to argue with you, but you are wrong when you say that the NEPSAC AA is far superior competition to some of the Juco in the Mid-west. The NEPSAC is arguably the toughest league in the country, up there with the likes of the Catholic League in DC. They pump out numerous High Major and NBA talent players on a yearly basis. But there is great basketball beyond that conference.

At the end of the day, does any of this mean that Andre can play? No, not at all. I'll withhold judgement until I see him for myself. If Hurley believes the kid can play, then hopefully he suits up in a Ram uniform. If he doesn't, hopefully we can find another suitable big.

Agreed.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Wonder if this kid has any pull for a certain center at St Andrews still there??
Well, he's one that I HAVE seen play live. I'm not impressed with him either.

While I agree Brown was not overly impressive or as good as his build up the times I have seen him, I think he has skill and potential. He's a legit 6-9 or 6-10 long and some decent offensive skills. The thing that has struck me about him in the few times I watched him is what appears to be a total lack of physicality and aggressiveness. While a guy like Tyrique Jones with his warrior like style is obviously the preferred mentality of style of player we would want, I would much prefer Brown over many of the names we've seen listed here.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:Billyboy I agree that in a perfect world we'd have landed a solid prospect in the fall. That would definitely be preferable to what we are looking at now.
They had a 6'10" sophomore starting at center in the Fall, too.

Not that I am advocating for that again. At all.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Billyboy I agree that in a perfect world we'd have landed a solid prospect in the fall. That would definitely be preferable to what we are looking at now.
They had a 6'10" sophomore starting at center in the Fall, too.

Not that I am advocating for that again. At all.
bing... we have a winner.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If we're reminiscing, they also had another 6'8" forward who, while being a basically good guy overall, made some pretty poor decisions.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

All I can say is, with Dan as our coach..... Blake Vedder is not walking through that door.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Who? Gil? Early fouls and consistent turnovers?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Who? Gil? Early fouls and consistent turnovers?
If this is in response to what I said- Aaman.

Biruta is flawless.
(not really, but let me have that, ok?)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It's true that we had Hare and Aaman, and that's possibly why Silva and Aflakpui went elsewhere. But now there is no one here to stop any big looking for immediate playing time. Why aren't we attracting any talented bigs now, when we got close with a few last year?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

There is no one left. It's now 16's. Maybe we should have a list of the top big men for 15 available nationally and see what's out there.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

ace wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Who? Gil? Early fouls and consistent turnovers?
If this is in response to what I said- Aaman.

Biruta is flawless.
(not really, but let me have that, ok?)

Yea, I was trolling. I also forgot about Aaman.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:It's true that we had Hare and Aaman, and that's possibly why Silva and Aflakpui went elsewhere. But now there is no one here to stop any big looking for immediate playing time. Why aren't we attracting any talented bigs now, when we got close with a few last year?
Just for the sake of accuracy, Aaman was already gone when those two made their choices. As it turns out, what attracted them to their eventual schools were outside of what URI could provide.

With bringing up Hare and Aaman, I'm not necessarily providing justification, just making some observations.
0 x