'16 VA PG - Maliek White (PC)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

'16 VA PG - Maliek White (PC)

Unread post by BFC »

Maliek White - PG
School: George Wythe
Travel/AAU: River City Reign

Ht: 6'2"
Wt: 170

RANKINGS:
Rivals: NR
Future150: 3 Stars

OFFERS:
Cincinnati
Drexel
East Carolina
Hofstra
Towson

INTEREST:
Rhode Island
BC
Clemson
Dayton
VCU
Virginia Tech

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... ite-163262
https://future150.com/hs/basketball-pro ... nd-va-2016
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/maliek-white
http://www.hardwoodinsiders.com/page/sh ... liek-white
http://247sports.com/Player/Maliek-White-76188
Last edited by BFC 8 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '16 VA PG - Maliek White

Unread post by sf2010 »

Pretty explosive athlete, decent form on jumper, though it's more of a set shot with little elevation. Only a Soph in this video.

0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Re: '16 VA PG - Maliek White

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

PC's big 2/3 star splash.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: '16 VA PG - Maliek White (PC)

Unread post by bigappleram »

Nice pickup for the Friars, seems a wee bit more highly regarded than Dowtin but comparable.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Kid's a four star on scout, ranked 125 on Rivals, and a higher rating on ESPN than Dowtin. Solid looking prospect.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

They were both 3 stars on ESPN with White ranked slightly higher (32nd best PG vs 39th for Dowtin)....that is all I looked at quickly.

Believe after the Top 50 there is a ton of parity and subjective rankings -- but regardless, is their 1 recruiting ranking service (Scout, Rivals, ESPN, 247) that is more highly regarded than the others or do they all have their pluses and minuses?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So here are the offers and schools considering for White and for Dowtin:

White:
Offers from PC, Cincinnati, Drexel, East Carolina, Hofstra and Towson
Interest from URI, BC, Clemson, Dayton, VCU and Virginia Tech

Dowtin:
Offers from Rhode Island, Drexel, Florida Gulf Coast, George Mason, Hofstra, Holy Cross, Old Dominion, Rice , Rutgers, St. Joe's, Towson, Wichita State
Interest from DePaul, Georgetown, Maryland, Providence, New Orleans, UCF

Dowtin narrowed down to URI, Wichita State and George Mason (closer to home option)

My money is on Dowtin in the short, medium and long term thank you
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Think Rivals is best and ESPN should be only used to line cages at the zoo. Terrible. I think Rivals does the best job at getting the offer list right and, more importantly, constantly evaluating these guys. These guys get better at different rates and we all know lots change between 15-18 years old.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Maliek just looks like a PC guy to me. They can have him, I'll take Dowtin.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If we are evaluating straight from rankings from various websites, White is the better prospect just looking at the numbers. Not saying he'll end up better than Dowtin, but for now, he's the better prospect judging from multiple websites.
0 x
Go Rhody
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I think the difference is negligible......not the gap between recruits that friar fans have deluded themselves into believing.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I agree that, on paper, White might be the better prospect. I don't know what to make of Cartwright yet, but we all know that starting pg position is up for grabs next year. That's a nice sell for a prospect.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Same people who were saying Rodney Bullock was better
than Hassan Martin, when they were both recruited in the same class.
Sort of unfair, because Bullock hasn't played a minute, and
Hass is a junior.
Still, I'll take Martin in any case.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I haven't seen Bullock play so I will withhold judgement ..... and of course we know every pc recruit is better than any Rhody recruit...it gets tiresome their clear superiority....after all they are a high major program....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

We probably open up a streak against them this year. Can't say that I'm worried about PC.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

bigappleram wrote:They were both 3 stars on ESPN with White ranked slightly higher (32nd best PG vs 39th for Dowtin)....that is all I looked at quickly.

Believe after the Top 50 there is a ton of parity and subjective rankings -- but regardless, is their 1 recruiting ranking service (Scout, Rivals, ESPN, 247) that is more highly regarded than the others or do they all have their pluses and minuses?
The whole ranking system seems all over the map at times after the consensus 5 stars and some 4 stars. With White, verbal commits had him at 2 stars, ESPN and a couple others 3 stars and Rivals, which I didn't see last night, at 4 stars.

We've seen star rankings drop for unknown reasonable reasons as well. Kids who have a destination in mind or already committed seem to drop even though their play hasn't.

I like the fact that the coaching staff had their targeted recruits and that these kids had as much of a mutual interest in our program that they committed shortly after their official visit.

I took a playful jab at PC because it seems like they backhanded complimented every one of our recruits this year with the 'You did well for you guys' attitude while getting excited about picking up a comparable player who wasn't their main target at PG.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
El Diablo
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by El Diablo »

White is a high major prospect, and the next top PG prospect PC was after this summer next to Ponds. 4 star on scout, top 150 on rivals and 247. ESPN's rating system is very flawed after their top 100 so it's funny to see only that one mentioned here along with Verbal commit rankings which are irrelevant and even more flawed. I'm not huge on rankings anyway, the main thing to look at is the other schools you are competing with for a recruit. Pitt, G-tech, and Cinci all wanted White. He visited Pitt the week before PC and had scheduled visits to the other schools.

Dowtin on the other hand is a mid major prospect as you can see from his rankings and schools that wanted him. PC expressed some small interest at one point I think, but he was not one of the guys they were seriously looking at for the guard position. Ponds, White, Jalen Harris, Davion Mintz, Justice Kithcart, and Quentin Jackson were all above Dowtin on the target list and that certainly says something.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dowtin has major upside.

A year ago he was nowhere.

We'll see who ends up being the better player.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

El Diablo wrote:White is a high major prospect, and the next top PG prospect PC was after this summer next to Ponds. 4 star on scout, top 150 on rivals and 247. ESPN's rating system is very flawed after their top 100 so it's funny to see only that one mentioned here along with Verbal commit rankings which are irrelevant and even more flawed. I'm not huge on rankings anyway, the main thing to look at is the other schools you are competing with for a recruit. Pitt, G-tech, and Cinci all wanted White. He visited Pitt the week before PC and had scheduled visits to the other schools.

Dowtin on the other hand is a mid major prospect as you can see from his rankings and schools that wanted him. PC expressed some small interest at one point I think, but he was not one of the guys they were seriously looking at for the guard position. Ponds, White, Jalen Harris, Davion Mintz, Justice Kithcart, and Quentin Jackson were all above Dowtin on the target list and that certainly says something.
Of course. Because PC is far superior to URI.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

El Diablo wrote:White is a high major prospect, and the next top PG prospect PC was after this summer next to Ponds. 4 star on scout, top 150 on rivals and 247. ESPN's rating system is very flawed after their top 100 so it's funny to see only that one mentioned here along with Verbal commit rankings which are irrelevant and even more flawed. I'm not huge on rankings anyway, the main thing to look at is the other schools you are competing with for a recruit. Pitt, G-tech, and Cinci all wanted White. He visited Pitt the week before PC and had scheduled visits to the other schools.

Let me translate...rankings only matter when they fit the story you are trying to tell.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
El Diablo
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by El Diablo »

Just presenting the facts fellas. No need to get mad or attack me.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Not sure anyone attacked you, especially considering you are posting on a URI board. I'll trust our coach as the evaluator of talent given his track record, versus highly subjective rankings. I guess you guys didn't want Jared Terrell, EC or Hassan either. Look forward to our December matchup, gonna be a good one.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You left out one fact: #32 versus #39?

Very little difference.

Anyway, there are a LOT of 3 stars that end up having better college careers than the so called blue chip 4 and 5 stars.

This debate has a long way to go......

When Hurley wants a player, and by all accounts he really wanted Dowtin, I trust his judgement that this player will turn out to be pretty special.

As for PC's recruits, there more doubt that they will even end up playing!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If the main thing to look at is schools you're competing against I would like to point out that Dowtin went on a visit to Wichita St., a better program right now then all three you mentioned were in on White.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rankings are irrelevant once you're outside of the top 25, or top 5 at any position.

While I agree that White was being pursued by "bigger" schools, not that Wichita State falls into the same category as most traditional "mid-major" schools, this seems like URI got a kid who is on a near vertical trajectory, early in the signing period.

Iffy Onyekaba was almost a top 10 center in his class, and Carson Desrosiers was almost a top 50 player in his. Irrelevant to try and compare rankings of players.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

White looks like a good get. Certainly not hating on it, just don't see a huge difference. Fairly confident Gregg Marshall is a good evaluator of talent who has built a powerhouse program by identifying under the radar talent.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

According to White, Cooley told him he could lead the conference in scoring and assists.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

I get the sense that the Hurley system is more about evaluating talent rather than looking at rankings. I always laugh when I see people argue over how much better their commitments are to URI's because of the other schools that offered.

Bryce Cotton only received one offer last minute. What was his ranking?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PC fans think they're Kentucky or Duke.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Ain't that the truth. They also think they are in the same stratosphere as Uconn except one has won four national titles since the other has won a tourney game. Their conference and history certainly give them an edge over us, but if u listen to those morons the difference is a mile when in reality it's a few yards.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would rather tell a recruit that they could be a big part in an annual NCAA tourney type program, than saying they could put up big numbers, like Cooley did.

Ah, coaches are always telling recruits what they want to hear anyway......
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Rankings don't matter a lot individually once you get past the top 50 or so but I do think they mean something when you look at an entire roster. None of us know the outcome of a single 18 year old kid but give me 13 4* guys over 13 2* guys, sight unseen, any day of the week. And I think you have to take into account offer lists, as well. Again, for the entire class or, better yet, the entire roster. That's why I am not as high on the 2016 class as many on here are. I probably haven't seen more than a few minutes of any of them other than some video clips. Just looking at rankings and, more importantly to me, offers. It's no coincidence the best players on URI had great offers and rankings.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

GBG, URI's class, all of them, are 3 stars, and looking like late bloomers also.

I trust DH sees that potential. All kids develop at different rates and ages.

URI at this stage, or until they start becoming a regular at the Dance, will not get the 4 and 5 stars who have already blown up.

The next best thing are the guys who haven't yet attracted the attention of the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world.

That's what Dan and staff have done. Sure, if these kids have maxed out their potential already, then this class isn't great, for sure.

But it's clear that they are getting better by leaps and bounds over the last year. How good will they be? We won't know for a while, but my guess is, most of them will turn out to be very good players for URI.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

It's shocking that URI fans think their recruit is better, and PC fans think their recruit is better! I'm absolutely floored.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Gonebarongone wrote:Rankings don't matter a lot individually once you get past the top 50 or so but I do think they mean something when you look at an entire roster. None of us know the outcome of a single 18 year old kid but give me 13 4* guys over 13 2* guys, sight unseen, any day of the week. And I think you have to take into account offer lists, as well. Again, for the entire class or, better yet, the entire roster. That's why I am not as high on the 2016 class as many on here are. I probably haven't seen more than a few minutes of any of them other than some video clips. Just looking at rankings and, more importantly to me, offers. It's no coincidence the best players on URI had great offers and rankings.
Yeah. On a wide, overview level, rankings tend to be fairly accurate. But you're always going to have individual misses, whether its a Ryan Gomes or Hassan Martin exceeding his ranking, or someone underwhelming based on their ranking. It goes double considering the age range of the players - lots of volatility in the projections, due to injury concerns, how their body improves with more consistent diet and workout, what support they get in college and in the pros vs. high school, etc.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote:I would rather tell a recruit that they could be a big part in an annual NCAA tourney type program, than saying they could put up big numbers, like Cooley did.

Ah, coaches are always telling recruits what they want to hear anyway......
Like Urban Meyer telling every high school player in the country they're going to be in the Percy Harvin role.(The joke is he even tells this to D-linemen.)
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote:It's shocking that URI fans think their recruit is better, and PC fans think their recruit is better! I'm absolutely floored.
PC fans think their recruits are better than Kentucky's recruits.
0 x
friarj
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by friarj »

Not sure where it was mentioned that Cooley told him he would lead the the conference in scoring or assists, a link would be helpful. But the facts are that his offense does give the PG a chance to put up big numbers, since he has been here 3 PG's have all lead the conference in assists and been up there in scoring as well. Dunn will be doing it again this year.

If the PG is skilled he can put up big numbers in the offense, it's a simple fact without getting into which one of our recruits is better.

I spend way to many posts on our board trying to tell folks that outside of the top 50 it simply doesn't matter. All of us old timers know this :D
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

friarj wrote:Not sure where it was mentioned that Cooley told him he would lead the the conference in scoring or assists, a link would be helpful.

http://hoopseen.com/index.php/news/k2-i ... ign=buffer
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

We won't know whose recruits are better until at least two years from now.

The friar fans however have disdain for schools they deem are mid-major....not knowing that they are now a mid-major also.....the big east is the best mid-major conference....but without big-time football they are mid-majors like we are....
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

“I feel like Providence is the best fit for me and it’s a great opportunity,” White told HoopSeen.com.

White’s relationship with Providence head coach Ed Cooley played a pivotal role in his decision.

“Coach Cooley is a great dude. He knows my capability and my goals,” he explained. “Coach Cooley says I will be able to lead the league in scoring and assists, and I will be a big impact early.

Well, I wish I had had more great dudes telling me that I'd be a big impact early, especially if I were going to lead the NBE in scoring AND assists.
Being from Richmond, is this AI incarnate?????? Is that what the Great Dude sees in him as Dunn's replacement?
Wonder how that's going to wash with the guys already on the team and pending future recruits???
Sure, we're Wenyen Gabriel, Kevin Marfo, Sedee Keita, and Ed Ekiyor and no one sees the ball but in this guy's hands/ego.
Good luck sealing the deals.
Personally, I love Coach Hurley's "Check your ego at the door, we're a team" approach, rather than the Great Dude's.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No ego there. Ha.

BMOC already. I see trouble.

What's that saying? "There's no I in team"

Perfect fit for them.......could you imagine Iverson saying that to Dan?

Never would have come here....
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don't know that all that is necessarily fair to the young man.

I do think it's interesting what guys' takeaways are right after visits. And, having talked to quite a few basketball recruits, coaches definitely have different approaches. Some are all rainbows and kittens; they like to stroke players' egos and hope the expectation to be coached evolves or can be taught. All visits are sells, but not everyone uses that approach.

When I get an independent funding source and time (which is to say never), I'd love to research basketball recruiting. Specifically, talk to players when they make their verbals, code their interviews, include the time of year they commit, see what themes develop, and then see if anything correlates to later transfers.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

It might not be fair to the young man, but don't lay that at my doorstep.
That's the Great Dude's albatross, if he did indeed make those comments to Maliek White. If he didn't, then White's delusional…..
Yes, recruiting is The Sell, be it in college basketball or business or the military.
Again, I'd take Coach Hurley's "Team/Family Recruiting Pitch" over "The Having To Explain Like I'm Not as Stupid as I Look Recruiting Strategies For Idiots and Larry Brown's Bagmen," thank you very much.
0 x
friarj
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by friarj »

Not to get all caught up in this circle jerk but I have 2 points, kids hear what they want and repeat something entirely different most of the time. I suspect he told him if you work hard you could lead the BE in scoring and assists someday, and the 2nd point is that in Cooley's offense that is absolutely possible.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I would expect my point guard to lead the league in assists
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Ramulous wrote:I would expect my point guard to lead the league in assists
…..,the least amount of turnovers, and the squad to the conference championship, and NCAA bid.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I was defending the guy, and a PC fan shows up and throws him under the bus. You're welcome for the link.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Ramulous wrote:I would expect my point guard to lead the league in assists
I would want my recruits to have that sort of confidence too. I mean, you probably need a healthy amount of ego to become a big time college basketball player - like the honest belief that you are the best.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

ace wrote:I was defending the guy, and a PC fan shows up and throws him under the bus. You're welcome for the link.
ace wrote:According to White, Cooley told him he could lead the conference in scoring and assists.
ace wrote:I don't know that all that is necessarily fair to the young man.

I do think it's interesting what guys' takeaways are right after visits. And, having talked to quite a few basketball recruits, coaches definitely have different approaches. Some are all rainbows and kittens; they like to stroke players' egos and hope the expectation to be coached evolves or can be taught. All visits are sells, but not everyone uses that approach.

When I get an independent funding source and time (which is to say never), I'd love to research basketball recruiting. Specifically, talk to players when they make their verbals, code their interviews, include the time of year they commit, see what themes develop, and then see if anything correlates to later transfers.
Friar fans have never been very grateful….
0 x