'11 C - Willy Kouassi (Arkansas)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: '11 C - Willy Kouassi (Kennesaw State Transfer)

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

A great movie and an Oscar winning performance by
Paul Scofield.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Anyone who's looking at the fact that Kouassi is being pursued by Pitt and Memphis as a sign that we're going to do better is setting themselves up for disappointment.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So, how much shittier are we talking about?
I keep reading that there's still plenty of good unsigned talent
out there in juco and 2015 ranks.
There's more out there than 5th year blowouts.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We should know who's visiting pretty soon, if our on-campus spies are out and about.....
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I still think a 5th year is our best opportunity to bring in a 20 min./game frontcourt player for next year. JUCO's and 2015s have lists and we're not on them so we're trying to steal a guy in the 11th hour. As much as we like to portray the staff as frequently pulling rabbits out of their hats, the reality is all of our top recruits have been guys they've had long relationships with before they committed. There could be a JUCO or an international player that we haven't heard about or a really under the radar 2015, hopefully someone with hidden potential but I doubt its someone with much of a resume.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

BFC is 100% right, unfortunately.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Visited North Texas State last weekend. But we can't get him to visit here?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Visited North Texas State last weekend. But we can't get him to visit here?
Who said we can't get him to visit here?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Visited North Texas State last weekend. But we can't get him to visit here?
Scroll back to page 2.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Too much reading between the lines when it comes to recruiting. I know it is a natural thing to do when people are desperate for information, but it almost never gives you an accurate read on what is going on.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Scroll back to page 2.
Good music school…..
Also, Lucas McCain was from North Fork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEES3pZ ... freload=10

If we only had a shooter like that!

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES

A SUBSIDIARY OF NBA/MLB LLC
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Repeating I know again and again but I don't get it......this is an easy recruit. One missing piece to take this team to glory.

Easy sell.

Get it done.

(and I expect our staff will btw)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Constantly being on the news this year for record breaking snow doesn't help. Some athletes want a warmer climate.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Scroll back to page 2.
My point was we do not know why he isnt visiting here. I think it's an assumption to say "we can't get him to" unless there was something else that I missed?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You're right, I am assuming. It was reported that we were going to be his first visit. Then Borzello reported that we weren't getting a visit. Shortly after we get visits from seemingly two less talented players (again, going only by what I see on tape and what I read.) Like TP said, it's reading between the lines, but that's about all we can do with the information we get. Not 100% foolproof, obviously.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I guess I can see why you would say the guys we brought in are lesser than this guy, but having not seen any of then play I'm not sure I can say that definitively. One difference is that this guy only has one year left whereas the other two can be developed by the staff.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Like Iffy?
No big man coach. It shows.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I might be wrong, but I think Iffy was a 3* recruit. I don't think the two guys who were in over the weekend were even rated. I know ratings don't always mean much, but if a 3* player hasn't been developed at all in 3 years, do you think these two will be developed? One of them has 3 years of eligibility, the other has 2.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Bingo!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote:I might be wrong, but I think Iffy was a 3* recruit. I don't think the two guys who were in over the weekend were even rated. I know ratings don't always mean much, but if a 3* player hasn't been developed at all in 3 years, do you think these two will be developed? One of them has 3 years of eligibility, the other has 2.
Each player is different. I mean, Iffy hasn't developed, but that Martin guy seems OK. Matthew Butler didn't turn into much, or JR, but Terrell and Mathews seem pretty swell.

What I'm trying to say - I think there can sometimes be too much of a focus on the "misses" of the program. Hurley's first real recruiting class produced Martin and Matthews. His second produced Garrett and Terrell (after lots of drama). That's four All-A10 level players, most likely, in two years, plus Watson seems like he's serviceable at the very least. JR and Minnis were disappointing to some, but they were also OK bench players for URI.

It'll be hard to project how good Iverson and Thompson and Butts are before they're playing in games, and yes, they probably need another frontcourt player. But it's weird to me that there is this "Dan can't recruit or develop big men!" meme out there. He's already delivered an All-Conference level talent in Martin, and to me, his only "mistake" (if you even want to call it that) is going for the risky upside play in Hare vs. Gustys.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Hassan has developed somewhat offensively. Obviously he's a monster on defense. But I really don't think he's been given the opportunity to develop offensively as much as he could. I'd love to see his shot chart. What percentage of his shots are dunks? I'm not knocking Hassan at all. I love the kid. I believe he has the ability to become a very good offensive player. We'll see.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Maybe Iffy just isn't that good. There are going to be misses in recruiting sometimes. Do you guys think that if Iffy had gone somewhere with a big man coach then he would have been drastically better?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

YES!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Sometimes, when you get schooled by your coach during practice and taken to the showers, it makes you realize you have work to do. The finesse and footwork needed takes time to develop. If you have a coach on staff who understands how it's done, then you get development. That's not a knock on Dan or anyone on staff. But we do need someone who can develop bigs.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:YES!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well ok, I disagree but we're all entitled to our opinions. I just think it turned out that Iffy wasn't that good.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

We do have coaches on staff that are developing our bigs.

While I can see some benefit in having a former big man coach a current big man, it's by no means a necessity.

One of the best big man coaches EVER was Pete Newell. Hall of Famer and the NBA even named a Big Man award after him. He was 6'2"

In the NBA, there are more "short" guys coaching bigs than vice versa. Larry Brown (5'9") was very hands on with his bigs. Greg Popovich (6'2"), also.

Again, not discounting that a peer to former peer relationship can be beneficial but you don't need to be a big to be a good or even great bigs coach.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay wrote:We do have coaches on staff that are developing our bigs.

While I can see some benefit in having a former big man coach a current big man, it's by no means a necessity.

One of the best big man coaches EVER was Pete Newell. Hall of Famer and the NBA even named a Big Man award after him. He was 6'2"

In the NBA, there are more "short" guys coaching bigs than vice versa. Larry Brown (5'9") was very hands on with his bigs. Greg Popovich (6'2"), also.

Again, not discounting that a peer to former peer relationship can be beneficial but you don't need to be a big to be a good or even great bigs coach.
Do we have one of those on our staff?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Doubtful.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea Hassan is a front court player. Just not a center. Dan hasn't got a center yet. Or a guy that should be a center that has some tenure.

Hassan has not shown anything remotely resembling a perimeter game. Not sure why he has to for some people here. He is a dominant front court player. Still 2 years of play left....

Still a center... Or how about a Seawright! A Seawright would go very well with a Hassan.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

[quote="bressler3south"][quote="Billyboy78"][quote="adam914"][quote="Billyboy78"]Visited North Texas State last weekend. But we can't get him to visit here?

Scroll back to page 2.
Good music school…..
Also, Lucas McCain was from North Fork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEES3pZ ... freload=10

If we only had a shooter like that!

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

A SUBSIDIARY OF NBA/MLB LLC

You might be closer than you think.
You realize chuck played for the Boston Celtics , right?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hassan came here with the idea of having a shot to play the 3.
He, like almost every player, dreams of the NBA.
The goal, as stated by the then staff, was to develop his shot
and his handle, to optimize his chances for playing on the next
level, and to help the team.
Gilvydas says Hassan has weapons that he's never shown in games.
I believe him.
Martin is being done a disservice by being stuck under the basket.
He's also not learning man to man defense, because he's become
more or less a one man zone.
THAT'S why some of us would like to see him get a chance to develop and
display his abilities.
The upside is there. He needs not to be a 6'7" Tyson Chandler.

Chuck Connors also played for the Chicago Cubs.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
Well ok, I disagree but we're all entitled to our opinions. I just think it turned out that Iffy wasn't that good.
I'd be the last guy to say that coaching doesn't matter, and I also may be the last guy here who hasn't given up on Iffy. Having said those things, though, I also believe that no coaching can make a bad basketball player into a good basketball player. Good to great? Yes. Mediocre to good? Possible. But if a guy just flat out can't do it, no amount of coaching will fix that.

Not saying that is Iffy's situation at all. But I also blame the lack of post production so far on the lack of post players so far, more than on the coaching.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Ramster,

That's why you have to check out the LLCs!!!!
;)

"A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

A SUBSIDIARY OF NBA/MLB LLC"

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... och01.html

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ch01.shtml
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

I'm torn on Iffy. Part of my thinking says that we knew he was raw when coming in, big men traditionally take longer to develop, and there aren't a lot of minutes for post guys in the style that we currently play. On the other hand, I'd say he never got off the bench even in blowouts or played any semblance of meaningful minutes, we don't have a staff member with a history of improving big men, and there's also the possibility that he's simply a "miss" in the not-perfect world of evaluating high school prospects.

I'm saying the jury's stick out, but it depends what side of the coin you're on. Does his performance versus Maine 2 seasons ago (which is really the only substantial time we have to go on) tell you he has potential, or tell you he's not good enough to be an A10 level player?

Edit: we are in the luxurious position of not needing him to be a super star, by any means. Can he be better than Watson was last year, and is that enough for this team's needs?
0 x
Go Rhody!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

His performance against Maine only proves he would do better against weaker teams in a league like America East.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Re: '11 C - Willy Kouassi (Arkansas)

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 4h4 hours ago
Arkansas lands a commitment from Kennesaw State grad transfer Willy Kouassi, he announces.
0 retweets 1 favorite

Just one question in the "Free Willy Saga": Did Arkansas confirm?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: '11 C - Willy Kouassi (Arkansas Transfer)

Unread post by Ramulous »

They're making heroes out of fall guys......they say it's good for business.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !