'16 DC PG Jeff Dowtin (URI Signed NLI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

'16 DC PG Jeff Dowtin (URI Signed NLI)

Unread post by STC »

Jeff Dowtin - PG
Hometown: Washington, DC
School: St. John's HS
AAU/Travel:

HT: 6'3"
WT: 180

ESPN: 3-star, 76 Grade
Rivals: 3-star
247: NR
Scout: 3-star

Offers:
Rhode Island
Drexel
Florida Gulf Coast
George Mason
Hofstra
Holy Cross
Old Dominion
Rice
Rutgers
St. Joe's
Towson
Wichita State

Interest:
DePaul
Georgetown
Maryland
Providence
New Orleans
UCF

Dowtin himself re-tweeted the above tweet essentially confirming the offer. Must be a Cox recruit.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jeff-dowtin
http://www.dmvelite.com/video/st-johns- ... csaa-final
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: '16 DC PG Jeff Dowtin (Offer)

Unread post by Ramulous »

There may be no Dowtin his ability ..... sorry folks....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Other than us, that's an impressive list of schools......
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rambone 78 wrote:Other than us, that's an impressive list of schools......
I think you're missing a "not" in there somewhere, otherwise, you're being even more Rambone than usual. ;)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's a joke, sir.

I should have added "sarcasm" after the comment.

Did you think I was serious?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rambone 78 wrote:That's a joke, sir.

I should have added "sarcasm" after the comment.

Did you think I was serious?
Yes, because it's hard to tell when you're joking, given your mood swings and irregular form of typing to begin with.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's the drugs talking.

Could you give that a rest please, seriously?

I used to think you were above those kind of comments. I was wrong, obviously.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

rambone 78 wrote:Other than us, that's an impressive list of schools......
They might be thinking the same thing about URI, Rambone. It's that type of ignorance and arrogance that is usually associated with PC fans on this board.

According to Verbal Commits, the schools that have offered Dowtin have combined for 33 NCAA appearances since URI had its last one in 1999.

Hofstra 2000, 2001
Boston University 2002, 2011
Winthrop 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010
George Mason 2001, 2006, 2008, 2011
Bucknell 2005, 2006, 2011, 2013
Radford 2009
Loyola (MD) 2012
UMBC 2008
Holy Cross 2001, 2002, 2003, 2007
St. Joe’s 2001, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2014
Florida Gulf Coast 2013
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Also, this is about the time that a 2016 prospect would make the leap from being a mid-major prospect to a major prospect. All those schools have already offered him, but a 2016 prospect has just played his first upper classman season and coaches are refocusing on recruiting after their seasons. The AAU/travel circuits are getting back underway. If he has the same offer list in September I might raise an eyebrow, but the best possible scenario is that we get in on a kid just before he blows up.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Profile added
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Jeff Dowtin, Jr. (2016/G/DC Blue Devils)
A few Philadelphia schools are in the running for this 6-foot-3, 165-pound combo guard out of St. John’s (D.C.), whose recruiting stock right now is in the mid-major range--though based on his performance on Wednesday night, that might not last too long.

Dowtin (pictured above) had a solid 15-point outing in a losing effort, connecting on 6-of-11 from the floor, including two of his four 3-point attempts. He had a pair each of assists, rebounds and steals.

“I can play off the ball or on the ball,” he said. “I can facilitate, I can score--a three-level scorer, not just hit 3s but get to the rim also...versatile, very versatile.”

This is the time of year when players with 20-something offer lists start to sort through what they have and figure out some favorites, and this DC-area guard seems to be doing just that.

He mentioned George Mason, Saint Joseph’s, Rice, Rhode Island and Drexel among his favorites off a list that includes FGCU, Holy Cross, Hofstra, Towson, Northeastern and more.

Both Saint Joseph’s and Drexel have made him a priority for their 2016 classes, and he likes both.

On Saint Joseph’s, he said “it was a nice visit, I enjoyed myself. Nice campus. I like the school...it’s one of the schools I’m looking at the most.”

Dowtin liked Drexel’s more city-based campus as well, and also likes Dragons head coach Bruiser Flint.

“We have a nice relationship, he tests and calls me every day, sees how I’m doing,” Dowtin said. “I told him I liked the campus, it’s a nice little fit for me.”

His plan is to take official visits in August and September before making a decision “right before the season starts,” and he’s looking for a “family environment, someplace I can call home for the next four years, I don’t want to transfer. I want to be close with the coaching staff, like a family, have a close bond with each other.”
http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/new ... day-july-8

UA camp: Dowtin is big time

Eric Bossi
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting Analyst

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... ID=1781033
0 x
runninrams5
Steve Chubin

Unread post by runninrams5 »

Is visiting Wichita St August 30, George Mason September 11, and URI September 24
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

"The transfer epidemic has raised some eyebrows lately and Dowtin mentioned this in selecting the right fit for him. “You don’t want to end up like the 600 others that transferred this past year. I want a place where I am close with the other players like a brotherhood and where I know my teammates are going to have my back when you step on the court.”

Very mature comments for a high schooler. From other remarks in the article I wonder if he could be the second coming of TJ. A lot of similar things were said about him out of high school.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I like everything he has to say, seems to have a good mindset on his recruitment and his future.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

So we're in Dowtin's top 3, and have a good shot at Langevine this week.

Things are heating up.......
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Regarding transfers, I was talking to someone this past weekend and it came up how, in five years of college head coaching, Dan's never had a guy transfer out that hurts- guys have left (and no disrespect to people like Jarelle or Biggie), but it's not been a situation where the team was hurt by it or the news was considered bad. Billy Baron came up as a possibility, but there are too many factors there, besides that fact that Dan never really coached him. And then there was the realization that this fact would even be remarkable, but it kind of is, especially in rebuilding programs.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Not liking his comment about not wanting to sit for 2 years. With JT and JG still having 2 years left next year I am afraid his quest for playing time right away will knock us out of the running. I hope I am wrong but ..........
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That may be true but must take into account Dan likes to play 3 or even 4 guards at a time...EC may leave after this year...we do have Stan Robinson and Christian Thompson who figure to see a lot of minutes next season, but still a lot of factors so I doubt it eliminates us. Any decent program is going to have some good guards.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Since he plans on visiting, he must be at least considering us, despite that talk.

If he's good enough, he'll play, no matter the others.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

I honestly don't want Rhody to get this kid. We have more than enough guards for 2016-17; there's no point in getting another one, especially if his only other offers are Hofstra and Drexel. I would rather we not get a 2016 guard, so that have a really good chance at stud 2017's like Bede, Aston-Langord, Green, etc.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

860_rhody wrote:I honestly don't want Rhody to get this kid. We have more than enough guards for 2016-17; there's no point in getting another one, especially if his only other offers are Hofstra and Drexel. I would rather we not get a 2016 guard, so that have a really good chance at stud 2017's like Bede, Aston-Langord, Green, etc.
As mentioned above he's visiting George Mason and Wichita State, along with Rhode Island. He's moved past offers like Hofstra and Drexel.

After this season, they lose at least one guard and will be bringing in another one, plus Robinson- whether it's this guy or not remains to be seen. You don't look past a recruiting class in the hopes it will bring you someone else the following year. They have at least two additional spots for '16 bigs.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

The studs seem to blow up and forget us.....it takes a special kid to turn down a P5 team to play for a mid-major.....you can't chase the rainbow and forget those other kids who can become good players for us....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

I have no words to reply to that line of thinking.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

If a stud is going to come to a place like URI, he's probably going to want to come into a situation in which there isn't a crowded depth chart. I get that you don't want to skip 2016, but if we make the tournament next year, which we should, we'll be significantly more attractive. We don't need any more guards for next year - we lose Four, we get Robinson. Now if Dowtin was a huge stud, I would really want the guy, but his highest offers are Wichita State and George Mason? There will be guys like Dowtin and Vital in 2017 - they're not exactly once in a lifetime talents. Even if we don't get a 2017, we can still get guys like Dowtin in 2017 too. In the meantime, we probably could use a fifth guard for 2017. But we can get a JUCO kid or perhaps even a grad transfer to fill a sixth guard spot. Even if it is a dumpster dive, it's a sixth guard spot. We don't have a sixth guard now, and I think we'll be just fine. Why sacrifice our chances on getting a 2017 stud by getting a guy like Dowtin, when we can get a guy like him in 2017 even if we don't get a 2017 stud?
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

860_rhody wrote:If a stud is going to come to a place like URI, he's probably going to want to come into a situation in which there isn't a crowded depth chart. I get that you don't want to skip 2016, but if we make the tournament next year, which we should, we'll be significantly more attractive. We don't need any more guards for next year - we lose Four, we get Robinson. Now if Dowtin was a huge stud, I would really want the guy, but his highest offers are Wichita State and George Mason? There will be guys like Dowtin and Vital in 2017 - they're not exactly once in a lifetime talents. Even if we don't get a 2017, we can still get guys like Dowtin in 2017 too. In the meantime, we probably could use a fifth guard for 2017. But we can get a JUCO kid or perhaps even a grad transfer to fill a sixth guard spot. Even if it is a dumpster dive, it's a sixth guard spot. We don't have a sixth guard now, and I think we'll be just fine. Why sacrifice our chances on getting a 2017 stud by getting a guy like Dowtin, when we can get a guy like him in 2017 even if we don't get a 2017 stud?
For one, if a kid is a true stud then our guard depth won't matter all that much, he'll start plenty early enough if he's that good.

For another, you don't stop recruiting a position just because you have depth there. That's how you lose depth, and quickly.

George Mason might not be the best offer, but they're local for him so I can understand that. And are you really saying that an offer from Wichita State is anything less than equivalent to a high-major offer at this point?
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

This might be something to debate if there was only 1 or 2 openings but with 4 open scholarships to use, they'll be at least 1 guard coming in in 2016.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

At a program like ours you stack talent. We arent in a place where we can basically select who we want unilaterally and make it happen. If a stud wants to come here he will think he is better than everyone else and will be a starter. We dont get enough studs to prepare for them in our recruiting strategy, we arent Kentucky, this is a flawed logic.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

To clarify my position......identify good kids early.....offer them early.....have a second tier of players identified in case the studs blow up and forget where Kingston, RI is.....keep working the studs because we may get lucky with one or two who are special and loyal and recognize that we have something good here....but don't forget the diamonds in the rough....
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Unless George Mason blows him away this weekend, still scheduled to visit later this month.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ace wrote:Unless George Mason blows him away this weekend, still scheduled to visit later this month.
Is George Mason capable of blowing anyone away? In anything?
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Geo Mason is a good academic school......
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:Geo Mason is a good academic school......
So is Fordham...
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TruePoint wrote:
Ramulous wrote:Geo Mason is a good academic school......
So is Fordham...
So is Brown
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Man wrote:
ace wrote:Unless George Mason blows him away this weekend, still scheduled to visit later this month.
2006 NCAA tournament.

That's all I got.

Oh, and they have a really good pep band.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ace wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
2006 NCAA tournament.

That's all I got.

Oh, and they have a really good pep band.
Fact. That band is legit.

Unfortunately Jim Larranaga ain't walking through that door
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I saw Jim Larranaga this week. His team is kinda good.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Another case of, if this kid wants to commit this weekend, what does Dan do? Dequan Bracey is supposedly set to visit. Bracey looks like the better prospect on film, at least offensively. Dowtin is about 5 inches taller. So, defensively, we don't know. Does Dan accept or wait?
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Billyboy78 wrote:Another case of, if this kid wants to commit this weekend, what does Dan do? Dequan Bracey is supposedly set to visit. Bracey looks like the better prospect on film, at least offensively. Dowtin is about 5 inches taller. So, defensively, we don't know. Does Dan accept or wait?
I would say that if he wants to commit, you take the commit and get a head start on the class of 2017. Unless Dan thinks Bracey is a much superior prospect and is willing to take the chance and wait.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And I assume that Cox is the lead recruiter on both.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I think with the run we've been on, we lock Dowtin up this weekend.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

We simply send Howie Mandela to ask Dan "Deal or no Deal."
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I like how The Bird hashtags himself.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Another case of, if this kid wants to commit this weekend, what does Dan do? Dequan Bracey is supposedly set to visit. Bracey looks like the better prospect on film, at least offensively. Dowtin is about 5 inches taller. So, defensively, we don't know. Does Dan accept or wait?
We will push for and accept a commitment out of Dowtin this weekend. Few reasons I say this, first off you get quality talent when you have the opportunity. Seems we are late to the party with Bracey so I'm not convinced he's worth the risk of waiting. Also we already have a pretty damn good short shifty point guard. It'd be nice to be able to back him up with someone with some height to be able to give opponents a different look. Look for our 2016 class to be complete after this weekend...
0 x