'13 PG MI EC Matthews (URI - Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: '13 PG MI EC Matthews (URI - Signed LOI)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Most of them are morons. Not all, just most.

Who gives a rat's ass where EC ends up ranked? Let his play at URI do the talking.

Sometime in the next year or two, Dan is going to sign a legit top 50 player. Then they can drop the kid's ranking to 2,000 or something for all I care. Big deal!

Right now, both EC and Hassan are top 100 EASY. EC might even be close to top 50 himself. But like I said, it's just numbers and playing politics.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Who cares where these players rank before they step on an NCAA court. As long as they fit into Hurley's system, are solid citizens and make URI basketball better that is all we need . PC people need to worry about their own house. What about their power forward (Henton) that was accused of domestic abuse a few weeks ago. Small story buried on Pg 2 of Journal and nothing heard since. Amazing how holier than thou the PC culture is in this state.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Some actual respect. Well earned, indeed.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Nice to see that this ranking has EC ranked higher than Wes Clark, his teammate who signed with Missouri....

....it shows that EC was very valuable to his state championship team and the rankings reflect that.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

E.C. Matthews is a worker. E.C. Matthews is a Dan Hurley recruit. E.C. Matthews is a URI Ram. Awesome…..Thanks for the link, Billyboy78!!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bressler3south wrote:E.C. Matthews is a worker. E.C. Matthews is a Dan Hurley recruit. E.C. Matthews is a URI Ram. Awesome…..Thanks for the link, Billyboy78!!!
He wants to be a PG. After watching those ball handling drills and seeing enough tape on him showing his court awareness sand passing ability, I have no doubt he's going to be a very good, if not great one.. He has the skills and talent, and he seems to want to work to be great. I know the transition from HS to college isn't easy. but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start at PG for URI from Day 1.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Loved that video. This kid is going to be an easy crowd favorite.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

starting from day one is a tall order for a true frosh.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

seanmc94 wrote:starting from day one is a tall order for a true frosh.
Especially at the point ....
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

seanmc94 wrote:starting from day one is a tall order for a true frosh.
And especially when it's not a necessity. He'll likely end up the best of the 3 point guards on the roster, but there's a lot of depth there.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

BING! BANG! BOOM!
WOW!!!!!!!
The Three Amigas From On High Have Spoken….

Hey, Three Amigas: What will happen if E.C. Matthews wins the Dan Hurley Practice Competition and is given the responsibility of running the team, BECAUSE IT IS A NECESSITY?!?!?!?
Although Mike Powell improved tremendously during his sophomore season, there must have been 7-10 games when the OVERALL POINT GUARD PLAY FACTORED GREATLY IN URI DEFEATS…..
DEPTH?????????
There were very few college teams that had ANY BACKCOURT DEPTH, NEVER MIND POINT-GUARD DEPTH.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bressler3south wrote:BING! BANG! BOOM!
WOW!!!!!!!
The Three Amigas From On High Have Spoken….

Hey, Three Amigas: What will happen if E.C. Matthews wins the Dan Hurley Practice Competition and is given the responsibility of running the team, BECAUSE IT IS A NECESSITY?!?!?!?
Although Mike Powell improved tremendously during his sophomore season, there must have been 7-10 games when the OVERALL POINT GUARD PLAY FACTORED GREATLY IN URI DEFEATS…..
DEPTH?????????
There were very few college teams that had ANY BACKCOURT DEPTH, NEVER MIND POINT-GUARD DEPTH.
What are you even talking about?

And are you really trying to use the amigas/female thing as an insult?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

That sure was a lot of capital letters.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Pardon me, Ace, just giving you top-billing…Won't happen again, can promise you that.
How's this:
As was written previously, just stringing together the three previous statements: "starting from day one is a tall order for a true frosh." Yeah, okay….So? (PCSean.)
"Especially at the point …." Yeah, okay….So? (Rhody74, aka "Who Knows")
and, then there's your statement: "And especially when it's not a necessity. He'll likely end up the best of the 3 point guards on the roster, but there's a lot of depth there." Yeah, NOT OKAY!
The three of you made your statements.
What am I even writing about? Responding to the how tough it is, blah, blah, blah nonsense and this "necessity/depth" garbage, that's what.
Do you really believe there's depth????
I DON'T.
AGAIN: There were very few college teams that had ANY QUALITY BACKCOURT DEPTH, NEVER MIND POINT-GUARD DEPTH.
Gee, my apologies, Ace.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

WHO'S COUNTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

So I think that Minnis-Powell-Matthews gives this team some nice depth at pg, and you disagree. Ok, that's cool.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

What the hell is your problem, bressler? Yeah, my statement was obvious but was written to reinforce the point (no pun intended) that it's tough for a freshman to start, no matter how much talent he has. He still has to learn the college game. Maybe he does fantastic in practice and starts. All the better. I was just suggesting it's unlikely, especially at PG.

Take a chill ...
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Aye, Aye….
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

By the way, Rhody74, your statement was obvious. The gist of the thread was how hard Matthews works. I thanked Billyboy78 for the video-link. So, when I read the subsequent posts from SeanMc94, you and Ace, I responded.
I'll pardon myself to you, Rhody74, and Seanmc94, too, before he writes about my post(s). You see, that way, there'll be one less offending poster to read.
God knows how many posts I've read on this board and the ProJo board that offended people's sensibilities. People swearing at one another, SCREAMING AT ONE ANOTHER, being ironically cruel to one another, insinuating all sorts of nonsense, (Where art thou, Cindy?), and just stupid stuff.
It's funny, but a colleague and I were talking about this board two seasons ago, etc., We spoke about some of the really good posters, etc., but that after a while, the board was stale, really stale.
Ah, but my luck changed "47 POSTS/ABDUL FOX" AGO!!!!
Wow, to know that I could post with the likes of you, Rhody74!!!!! Now, that was CHILL!
You know, while I'm reading this, I think of and chuckle about that fellow from Jersey who came on board when Dan Hurley was hired. He provided a lot of insight and a fresh voice, but what did it take for him to take his ball and go home? One week? Two, tops? Now, that was a hoot, because it seemed like he had a direct line to the staff. You know, come to think of it, he even may have been on the staff or better yet, planted by them, that's how prescient his info was…..
So, Rhody74, while I "take a chill," why don't you go back and review your "390/Jimmy Baron" posts, and count how many times you've told people "to go and chill," or some such thing, or how many people have disagreed with you about something, and you Rhody74, got annoyed.
After you've done that, since you know how to state the obvious, you should go do the obvious.
P.S. After you've done that, DON'T EVER EFFIN' TELL ME TO GO DO ANYTHING, EVER AGAIN. ON THE BOARD OR IF WE'RE IN THE SAME COMPANY.
THAT SHOULD BE VERY, VERY OBVIOUS TO YOU.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Far be it from me to get into any type of squabbles on this board.
Let me point out, that our three best point guards in the modern era,
ALL started from day one.
Jiggy Williamson, Silk Owens and Tyson Wheeler, all started and lead URI to great things.
There is depth at PG on the current roster. Hurley loves Biggie Minnis.
Powell is a two year starter. Matthews is a stud, from all we've heard.
My guess is, Hurley will bring him along at wherever pace Matthews becomes
a contributor, and how well Minnis and Powell play.
Hurley runs a meritocracy, unlike Baron's "seenyiz" 1960's high school coach-like thinking.
Now, back to the fray here.
I personally enjoy Ace and '74's contributions to this board. They are well informed
and certainly add to the mix.
As for our Jersey guy, he's not connected with the staff, and has very thin skin,
as I found out from off the board contact with him.
He told me I was an idiot for not believing him that Hurley was an 80% lock to take the Rutgers job, AFTER
Hurley agreed to the extension here.
Said we are a program that nobody cares about.
No loss to the board.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Let's all just take it down a notch. Cool?

For the record, Rod made the point here that I agree most with: Matthews will start from day one, if he wins the job. He isn't going to be handed the job because he is a top-100 recruit. And Ace is right that there are other candidates to start that can do a serviceable job, so there is no reason to throw Matthews to the wolves if he isn't ready. Next year isn't Training Day - they think they can win. And so the PG who the coaching staff believes gives them the best chance to win will start and play the most important minutes.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

For the record: I never wrote that Matthews would start from Day One. I did, however, state this:
"What will happen if E.C. Matthews wins the Dan Hurley Practice Competition and is given the responsibility of running the team, BECAUSE IT IS A NECESSITY?!?!?!?"
Thank you, and I will go to Bergen Island or someplace and cool down….Have a nice day. :)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Agree with TP and Rod.

Whoever plays the best will start, and play the most minutes. Simple as that.

Who cares if they are freshmen, sophomores, juniors or seniors?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I am the one who thinks EC will start from day 1. I just think his combination of talent and work ethic will speed up his development. He is a talent that we have not seen here for a while. It's just an opinion. Time will tell.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

bressler3south wrote:By the way, Rhody74, your statement was obvious. The gist of the thread was how hard Matthews works. I thanked Billyboy78 for the video-link. So, when I read the subsequent posts from SeanMc94, you and Ace, I responded.
I'll pardon myself to you, Rhody74, and Seanmc94, too, before he writes about my post(s). You see, that way, there'll be one less offending poster to read.
God knows how many posts I've read on this board and the ProJo board that offended people's sensibilities. People swearing at one another, SCREAMING AT ONE ANOTHER, being ironically cruel to one another, insinuating all sorts of nonsense, (Where art thou, Cindy?), and just stupid stuff.
It's funny, but a colleague and I were talking about this board two seasons ago, etc., We spoke about some of the really good posters, etc., but that after a while, the board was stale, really stale.
Ah, but my luck changed "47 POSTS/ABDUL FOX" AGO!!!!
Wow, to know that I could post with the likes of you, Rhody74!!!!! Now, that was CHILL!
You know, while I'm reading this, I think of and chuckle about that fellow from Jersey who came on board when Dan Hurley was hired. He provided a lot of insight and a fresh voice, but what did it take for him to take his ball and go home? One week? Two, tops? Now, that was a hoot, because it seemed like he had a direct line to the staff. You know, come to think of it, he even may have been on the staff or better yet, planted by them, that's how prescient his info was…..
So, Rhody74, while I "take a chill," why don't you go back and review your "390/Jimmy Baron" posts, and count how many times you've told people "to go and chill," or some such thing, or how many people have disagreed with you about something, and you Rhody74, got annoyed.
After you've done that, since you know how to state the obvious, you should go do the obvious.
P.S. After you've done that, DON'T EVER EFFIN' TELL ME TO GO DO ANYTHING, EVER AGAIN. ON THE BOARD OR IF WE'RE IN THE SAME COMPANY.
THAT SHOULD BE VERY, VERY OBVIOUS TO YOU.
bressler, you're confusing me with someone else. I have no idea what the "390/Jimmy Baron" posts are about. I suggest you do some homework before attacking me.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I'd like to thank Bressler for continually testing out all of the font features available on this board.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Bergen Island is a very coooooool place. :lol:
Rhody74, look to the left of the posts, beneath your board name. Has your APPOINTED PLAYER and YOUR NUMBER OF POSTS.
By the way, I do sincerely apologize to you and all of the fellow posters for my lack of board decorum.
Whatever little time I have, I get a little too wrapped up in stuff I have a passion for! Forgive my middle-aged indiscretions!!!!!!
P.S. Thanks, BFC! I'm trying, and I even have a photo of Bressler3South, the old Jungle Habitat, to use as my avatar, but can't make it stick! (I should check with BAR on that one!)
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Send me the pic and I'll set it as your avatar if you have trouble.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

bressler3south wrote:Bergen Island is a very coooooool place. :lol:
Rhody74, look to the left of the posts, beneath your board name. Has your APPOINTED PLAYER and YOUR NUMBER OF POSTS.
Okay ... whatever. So I've been active. I rarely jump into frays, and usually only when I'm dragged into them. I'd rather exchange gossip and news, and, occasionally opinions. I don't know anyone here personally (except for one person who I worked with 30 years ago) so I try to stay out of personal attacks. This is a playground, and we should all learn to play nice.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

First thing, Bressler -- stop using caps. It's juvenile.
The freshman point guard is a relevant issue when you consider the list of NCAA champions in recent years. Follow along.
Louisville 2013 -- Peyton Siva (senior)
Kentucky 2012 -- Marquis Teague (freshman)
Connecticut 2011 -- Kemba Walker (junior)
Duke 2010 -- Jon Scheyer (senior) and Nolan Smith (junior)
North Carolina 2009 -- Ty Lawson (junior)
Kansas 2008 -- Mario Chalmers (junior)
Florida 2007 -- Taurean Green (junior)
Florida 2006 -- Taurean Green (sophomore)
North Carolina 2005 -- Raymond Felton (junior)
Connecticut 2004 -- Taliek Brown (senior)
Syracuse 2003 -- Gerry McNamara (freshman)
Maryland 2002 -- Steve Blake (junior)
Duke 2001 -- Jason Williams (sophomore)
Michigan State 2000 -- Mateen Cleaves (senior)
There are two freshmen on this list. Teague was the No. 5 player in his recruiting class and had the No. 1 (Anthony Davis) and No. 2 (Michael Kidd-Gilchrist) picks in the next NBA draft on his team. McNamara had Carmelo Anthony -- the consensus best player in the NCAA that season -- on his team.
As for the sophomores, Williams was the National Player of the Year that season -- many forget just how good he was before the motorcycle accident that ended his career -- and Green was surrounded by NBA talent with his fellow '04s on the Gators (Noah, Horford, Brewer).
Matthews isn't as highly regarded as Teague. He won't be playing with anyone as good as Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist or Anthony. I'll go out on a limb and say he won't be the National Player of the Year as a sophomore and that Hassan Martin and Matt Butler aren't about to turn into lottery picks before our very eyes.
Considering all of this, starting as a freshman for a URI team that went 8-21 last season and producing at a high level will be as difficult as it's always been.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We're not Kentucky or Duke.
Freshmen PGs play in mid major programs. We are a mid major program.
We can have a good freshman start and succeed, just as the trio I mentioned.
Martin has NBA upside, so why put him down?
I know, we're URI, so Matthews can't be as good as Teague. Where is Teague now?
MPG=8, for the Bulls, who are playing without thier PG. If he was as touted, he'd be playing at least second string.
Here's some shocking news for you, Matthews might be BETTER than Teague.
Don't believe me? Talk to our staff or scouts who have seen him.
What does how good Matthews can be, have to do with who he's playing with?
Just don't get the logic of the post at all.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Hurley, as he showed in his first year coaching at this level, has no problem starting freshmen. He has also shown the willingness to sit an older player who has starter's experience to start a younger one. Also, even if someone like Minnis starts at pg, it doesn't necessarily mean he's going to get 30+ minutes/game. Hurley likes to use his bench. If Matthews does end up starting this season, it will mean that he's shown even more than they're expecting from day one, which is good for everyone.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Dan said EC has Top 50 talent with a terrific work ethic. *After* basketball season was over, he continued to work with his asst. high school coach on skills development at 5:30 in the morning and lift weights after school.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

To watch that video and see how routine all of that is for him -- it shows he has been working and intends to work in the future. We have to believe the sky is the limit for this kid. Have to see to how quickly he can adjust to competition on the floor with him, but I see a star.

I hope Hassan Martin is putting in the same work. Hopefully all these guys push each other.

Hurley seems to deal with NBA prospects, and place these kids on some path to the league. I think if Hurley gives us 6 more years -- it could be unlike any other stretch in URI history.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Who are the NBA prospects that DH deals with ?
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:Who are the NBA prospects that DH deals with ?
Do your homework.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Really, Sean?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Amazing!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

seanmc94 wrote:Who are the NBA prospects that DH deals with ?
Some Friday reading for you, Sean. You may have heard of this guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._Smith
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Tristan Thompson?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

There are plenty.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Myck Kabongo
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Samardo Samuels, Lance Thomas
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Scott Machado

And nothing to do with basketball, but did you know Cullen Jones went to St. Bens, too? Love that guy.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yeah I thought we were all aware of a few of the guys he coached in HS. Dan Hurley has had more success with pros and pro prospects than the state of RI's 4 division 1 programs over the past 10 years. With that being said i am a fierce homer and believed in anyone URI had that flashed potential and even liked a handful of PC guys. I really liked Herbert Hill the most.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Sean, your question has been answered. Are you satisfied?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

New video of EC, just posted by his coach today.

0 x