'13 PG MI EC Matthews (URI - Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '13 PG MI EC Matthews (URI Verbal)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:Can finally talk about them!
Sweet!!!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: '13 PG MI EC Matthews (URI Verbal)

Unread post by TruePoint »

Boom.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: '13 PG MI EC Matthews (URI - Signed LOI)

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

One more good player to go! Not done yet, I suspect!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

And I guess that answers our question about getting this news officially right away or having to wait weeks to hear about it. Such a refreshing change.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Preston Murphy
@coach_pmurph
Rod you don't miss a beat #8 non bcs recruiting class thanks for your continued support
07:08 PM - 14 Nov 12
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:And I guess that answers our question about getting this news officially right away or having to wait weeks to hear about it. Such a refreshing change.
Kind of wasn't even a question in my mind, considering the way the Hurleys have done business since they've been here. But still definitely a refreshing change.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I love these guys, because they are not afraid to communicate with us.
They appreciate the support, and tell us so.
As you say, a refreshing change!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Here we go...

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 1114ts9lp2

And how about this, emphasis is mine...

"We are incredibly excited to add E.C. to our program. He brings a winner's mentality and a toughness forged from having played with one of the top high schools in the country and one of the top national AAU programs," Hurley stated. "His unique size and instincts as a point guard, as well as his skill and ability to score and create offense will be a huge addition. We expect him to be one of the top freshman guards in the country next year."
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Woop Woop! i have a feeling we may have more than 1 scholarship available by the end of the year.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If Bigby is here for only one year, then we have two remaining.
Some very fine players still uncommitted.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I'd feel safe betting on three open spots, once all is said and done, with one of them possibly going to a player transferring in.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'd also be surprised if the Rams had just two spots for the 2013-14 team, just because it seems like every program ends up having at least one guy transfer out after every year. It's too soon (at least IMO) to identify who that might be from this year's team.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I guess this settles the debate for those (if any) people have about Dan Hurley. He brought in the highest rated guy since Lamar Odom...AND DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY HIM :D

People just want to come here to learn basketball from Dan and Bobby. Waiting through this season is going to be worth it next year.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm guessing also that we have at least 2 spots open next year. If Bigby only has 1 year that's 2 spots. Maybe even 3, if Powell sees the writing on the wall, or Hare completely flames out. I don't see TJ leaving. We'll see.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

nateoats
Leo signs with LA Tech, EC with Rhode Island, Wes with Missouri. Teammates support. #RomulusHoops
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

More good news.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Anybody notice a striking similarity between the Rhody press release and the stories "written" by Cordischi and McNamara for golocalprov and the projo? I'll give you a hint, they are word for word exactly the same. Is that normal? I get that things like quotes from Hurley arent going to change, but shouldn't the bylines be changes to say "copy and pasted by" rather than just "by"?

http://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2012 ... 1114ts9lp2

http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/uri-r ... of-intent/

http://news.providencejournal.com/sport ... thews.html
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Did anyone who watches WPRI, notice the sports goof only mentioned PC's signing, and not our guys?
Typical.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Did anyone who watches WPRI, notice the sports goof only mentioned PC's signing, and not our guys?
Typical.
Not a mention of anything in this morning's PC Journal of our signings either, just a preview of the PC/UMass game.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

The more they ignore us at this point the less and less legit they look, the activities around our program are news worthy on a national basis at this point, so wpri and others refusing to cover Rhody only serves to make them look like the hacks they are.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

When I tweeted about us having #8 rated non-BCS recruiting class,
KMac asked me:"And you saw this where????"
Like I make this stuff up.
Amazing!
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Does anyone know if EC and Hassan are qualified or expected to qualify without a problem??
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:When I tweeted about us having #8 rated non-BCS recruiting class,
Amazing!
He must have been busy copy and pasting press releases for his next story.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:When I tweeted about us having #8 rated non-BCS recruiting class,
Amazing!
Perfect example of what hacks the local guys are, yes KMac, we have a couple of big time recruits coming in to go along with 3 big time transfers, pay attention you jack-wagon!!
Crazy how we have to turn to national press to get coverage of our state university.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I also love how KMac uses four question marks, as if to say, 'what are you crazy Rod?' again these guys make themselves look bad time after time, they have no authority at all as far as Rhody hoops goes, they show themselves to know less about Rhody than the average fan. Its pathetic and any shred of respect I had left for KMac just went up in my pipe...
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KMac had one tweet yesterday, it was about Vincent Council. He finally tweeted about our recruits at about 10 o'clock this morning.....guess he didn't hear about it yesterday...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Some things just never change.
We have to make it so they can't ingnore the program.
Yes, the implication was, I was nuts or lying, with the multiple ?????
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'd love to see it when we make it big, that Hurley doesn't give the local media the time of day, like Belichick did in Foxboro to a-holes like Borges.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:KMac had one tweet yesterday, it was about Vincent Council. He finally tweeted about our recruits at about 10 o'clock this morning.....guess he didn't hear about it yesterday...
That is a huge indicator of his focus.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:KMac had one tweet yesterday, it was about Vincent Council. He finally tweeted about our recruits at about 10 o'clock this morning.....guess he didn't hear about it yesterday...
That is a huge indicator of his focus.
As are his tweeting back and forth with a PC fan about how great the Big East is.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod et all:

Why give these douchebags the time of day?

They don't care about us, why care about them?

Even when we get really good, we'll still [and always] play second fiddle to PC. It's cow town Kingston versus the big city PC Friars, we can't win and never will.

We will never get the same coverage, unless the state of RI gets turned upside down. Yeah right.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Atta boy, Mike. Glad the players have a more mature outlook than some of the posters on this board, who seem to want to pit these guys against each other.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Rod et all:

Why give these douchebags the time of day?

They don't care about us, why care about them?

Even when we get really good, we'll still [and always] play second fiddle to PC. It's cow town Kingston versus the big city PC Friars, we can't win and never will.

We will never get the same coverage, unless the state of RI gets turned upside down. Yeah right.
You mean Providence???? Haha.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:Atta boy, Mike. Glad the players have a more mature outlook than some of the posters on this board, who seem to want to pit these guys against each other.
Yep, good for him. I don't think it's being immature or creating division to mention that there are only 40 minutes for 3 point guards. If some combination of these guys can effectively play on the floor together, with quality minutes still for Munford, problem solved. If all goes according to plan, I don't see any way that Powell's role is not diminished. He gets to choose how to react to that.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If these guys turn out to be as good as advertised, Powell will be a backup, playing a few minutes a game.

If he's OK with that, then fine.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Atta boy, Mike. Glad the players have a more mature outlook than some of the posters on this board, who seem to want to pit these guys against each other.
Yep, good for him. I don't think it's being immature or creating division to mention that there are only 40 minutes for 3 point guards. If some combination of these guys can effectively play on the floor together, with quality minutes still for Munford, problem solved. If all goes according to plan, I don't see any way that Powell's role is not diminished. He gets to choose how to react to that.
The situation may play out such that Biggie and EC take all the minutes, and Powell is relegated to the end of the bench. Totally possible. But I don't like our fans talking down about a kid that is a member of our program and our basketball family because they're ready to swap him out for a new model two games into his sophomore year. If he loses his job to younger guys, so be it. Let the best players play. But in the meantime, how about a little respect for a kid that has done nothing but be a good representative of the university?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:
ace wrote:
The situation may play out such that Biggie and EC take all the minutes, and Powell is relegated to the end of the bench. Totally possible. But I don't like our fans talking down about a kid that is a member of our program and our basketball family because they're ready to swap him out for a new model two games into his sophomore year. If he loses his job to younger guys, so be it. Let the best players play. But in the meantime, how about a little respect for a kid that has done nothing but be a good representative of the university?
I'm often uncomfortable with the way college players are discussed- given their age/status- regardless of their abilities, and I'll cheer for anyone in a Rams' uniform. But, I certainly don't view talking about potential rosters/playing time as disrespectful to anyone. That seems a little extreme to me.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:I'm often uncomfortable with the way college players are discussed- given their age/status- regardless of their abilities, and I'll cheer for anyone in a Rams' uniform. But, I certainly don't view talking about potential rosters/playing time as disrespectful to anyone. That seems a little extreme to me.
Sure. I don't think we are really disagreeing about anything, then. I think talking about roster situations and playing time has to be a major part of what we do here. So to the extent that anyone did that, I don't have any issue at all. There have been a couple posts in the last week or so that I found distasteful with the way they talked about Mike, and I think part of it is excitement about EC (which I totally share and understand). Fans don't have to take sides. We can want both guys to do well.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So let's just close down this discussion board, then.
If we're not supposed to discuss players, their game and their strengths and weakensses,
and thier standing in relationship to other players on the team, then what are we supposed to
post about?
How nice the rainy season is? URI football?
Happy, Happy! Joy, Joy! Let's all break out the
valium and wait for perfection to come down from the heavens.
Give me a break!
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I really don't think TP is suggesting we don't write our opinions.
The only thing I take issue with is the speculations that Powell will just have to transfer because he'll be so lacking compared to those coming in. I mean, I don't mind people stating so, but they are wrong! Powell will be our most experienced PG come game one next season and if things go well this year, I expect Powell to come into his own, I highly doubt Coach Hurley will be looking for Powell to transfer out. Beyond that, I would just state, it all remains to be seen and the coaches will sort it all out for the best.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ESPN Insider article
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-spor ... ing-period

What has been the biggest surprise from the early signing period?

... And finally, No. 88 prospect E.C. Matthews (Romulus, Mich./Romulus) had his choice of some high-major schools such as Arizona, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, USC and South Florida, but he went with Rhode Island. Danny Hurley has combined his success at Wagner and St. Benedict's Prep (N.J.) with his family's basketball pedigree to bring talent to URI.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rambone 78 wrote:If these guys turn out to be as good as advertised, Powell will be a backup, playing a few minutes a game.

If he's OK with that, then fine.
I'm not sure Minnis was advertised as all that good. Played 16 mins a game as a freshman, averaged 3 points; didn't hit one 3 all year; shot under 60 percent on free throws; had more turnovers than assists.
I'm not knocking the guy, but I'm not going to bet the house that he's better than Powell just yet.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I believe ECs first high school game is tomorrow. If someone finds his stats please post them.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:I believe ECs first high school game is tomorrow. If someone finds his stats please post them.
Yes, here is his schedule. It's up to the school to put stats in, so we'll see if we can find them here.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/8UTfrJ ... tthews.htm
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Dan Hurley‏@dhurley15

Good luck to @EC_Matthews2 today in his opener! This future Ram is focused on a State Championship and a great senior year.Big things ahead!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote:I believe ECs first high school game is tomorrow. If someone finds his stats please post them.
Very close game that could have been a loss for Romulus. EC hit 7-8 free throws in the pressure packed last two minutes of the game.
He had 12 at the half, ended up with twenty something
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We sure could use a guy who makes his FT's, especially under pressure late in games.

URI has had a history of shooting well from the line against lesser opponents, but gagging FT's late in close games against better opponents.

That's got to change, and soon. I would hate to see that cost us a Dance bid down the line.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Good! We need EC.
As well as Powell has played recently,
especially on defense, and not turning the ball over,
he is a 27% shooter, and that's, undeniably, a problem.
I just wonder what happens next year with three PGs
around.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE