'13 MD SG Stanford Robinson (URI Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Re: '13 MD SG Stanford Robinson (URI Commit)

Unread post by bressler3south »

eli#10 wrote:This is a great pickup--no question. Rod has to accept this and quit his bitching and complaining about another guard joining the fray. I may be naive but I do put Hurley's judgement ahead of Rod's. Obviously there was not a real good "big" out there that was coming here. I have a feeling Hurley thinks Berry will get in shape and that he has the tools to be helpful.
You're not being naive, Little Brother, you're being snide.
No one wants inferior players, period.
Berry, tremendous upside; soft-hands, beautiful footwork, positioning, etc., Could be that "URI Unpolished Gem."
Once he joins "We Are Team Marshall" the potential to be fulfilled is up to him….
Guards aplenty. Some of us aren't thrilled.
Not one of us wishes Young Mr. Robinson any ill-will, only absolute success as a URI Ram.
Don't diminish Rod's knowledge of the game -- Past, Present, and Future.
Don't make it personal, because that's when you'll lose.
You'll lose someone you could have counted on to have your back, anytime, anywhere.
Even if you'd only met on a message board.
Trust me on that.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The coaches obviously wanted this kid because they spent time recruiting him...and brought him in for a visit.......it is nice to win a recruiting battle for any kid our coaches like.....Iverson and Robinson make two this year....

I also don't want to forget that ARD will be on staff and hopefully help Watson, Iffy, Berry and Butts reach a level of competence as a big player....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ace wrote:
I'm quite confident that he couldn't have written another tweet that would have been a better introduction. I love everything about that tweet!
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I am thrilled with whatever talent Hurley brings in if they are athletic and can play the defense he wants to play. Depth is a good thing. Something we have not seen in a long time.. If they can get at it on the defensive end and create easy basket opportunities I am all in.. I get the need for balance (big guys), but depth is huge too.. You never know who might get hurt or who might transfer.. Keep the athletic talent coming and let's enjoy the ride!!!!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
ace wrote:
I'm quite confident that he couldn't have written another tweet that would have been a better introduction. I love everything about that tweet!
But I'm not sure his response is ok. I can never keep the rules straight for transfers.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

we now have 4 top 100 recruits on 1 roster. 4. let that sink in. this is unprecedented recruiting for this program
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NCAA or Bust!
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Things that worry me about this, in no specific order
1) Ties up our last scholly, eliminating any chance for a mid-year transfer
2) He is a shooting guard that can't shoot
3) off the court problems including drug use or allegations
4) according to the player himself, Hurley wasn't active in his recruitment, that tells you a lot right there
5) With no more schollys, zero chance at landing any front court transfers
6) Could be a one year player with the 5th yr transfer rules

Things I like about this pickup..
1) Will be great for EC to practice against him all year
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

With regards to #4, I think it's safe to say that if a team recruits a player and accepts a verbal commitment from him, the coach wanted him.

I'm fine with them finally using up all the scholarships, although anyone who's followed college basketball for any length of time knows that nothing is certain until the ball tips. And even then...

Mid-year transfers... yeah, Iverson is quality but getting someone that good after one semester isn't all that common. If this season plays out as expected, they're in a strong position to fill those 3 '16 spots and go into that season with another full roster with everyone eligible from day 1.
Last edited by ace 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

To counter "the lack of big men, we are all guards" argument -- it also should be taken into account the makeup of our guards (besides Jarvis)

6-5 EC
6-9 Iverson
6-3 linebacker Jared Terrell
This kid (6'4)

These are not frail, undersized guards, you can probably count on 1 hand the number of teams nationally that have more than 1 big guy that can hurt you. Dan may feel that between Hass, Earl, Berry he has enough to defend the 5 position, and on the offensive side of the court has the type of lineup that will cause a lot of matchup problems. Its a safe bet Dan sees a lineup of the Core 4 plus Iverson by A10 play.
0 x
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

Just compile future talent, baby. Fill in the blanks (position-wise) with recruits in other years/classes. I love it.

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

We still have some of the weirdest fans. Iverson transfers with 1.5 years left, we throw a parade. Robinson comes here with 2 years left, people are pissed. Iverson was the 28th ranked player in 2013, Stanford was 56th. Iverson averaged 3.1 points in his career in the American Conference. Stanford has averaged 4.8 in his career in the B1G. I'm as excited about Iverson as the next guy, so I'm not trying to diminish him. I'm just saying Robinson should be better regarded by our fans than he appears to be at this point. The staff obviously values him if they are using their last scholarship on him.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

I don't always agree with Rod but who cares, this is a message board. I agree with him, and wish we had a big dude to play D, clog up the middle, and rebound. Apparently we couldn't bring that guy in. I am happy that we are engaged with the highest level of recruits since the Harrick era.

I like the fact that we bring in another top 60 player that is athletic and plays shutdown D.

In Hurley I trust!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Yes, as usual, TP sees us as the great unwashed.
We can't possibly know anything or have valid opinions.
Maybe you can get a job in the administration,
which wants to censor what doesn't agree with them.
As for never having four top 100s, another person
with little knowledge of URI history.
How about the number ONE player in the USA, and a McDonald's AA,
and three other top 100 players.
That would be the 1998-99 team.
Don't let the facts get in the way of anything.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't want to censor anyone. I just don't understand the reaction here sometimes. Is that wrong to say out loud?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

TP, OK but you do it constantly, just like you say I repeat myself a lot.

It drives us all crazy. Hey, at least we have something in common.... :shock:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I feel that way a lot. Lol what can I say.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

The more talent, the better. Liking this pick up. He's highly rated, and will have this upcoming year to get his groove back and prove he can play.
In 2016-2017, it's likely we'll have Jarvis, Terrell, Thompson, Robinson as our four guards, with maybe another freshman or two coming in. Great depth, and still gives us options to get some big men.
0 x
Go Rhody!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

TP: "We still have some of the weirdest fans".
Personal shots, by a couple of people, at some of us,
because we don't happen to bleat the company line.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Fine, but I know that you know I am saying I find the reaction of some of our fans to be weird, not that they are weird human beings. I think to take offense to that is really stretching the limits of sensitivity.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I guess management is always right.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wild Red Berry was always right.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Lamar, Luther and T.Bell -- who was the 4th? If it was tip he was wildly overrated then!!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

On the roster, but not playing were actually two more top 100s.
Tiger Womack, who transferred from LSU, and Zack Marbury,
who the clearing house stopped from playing.
Imagine, Tip was rated by some as the # 2 PG in the Northeast behind
Barkley, who went to St. John's.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I didnt remember Marbury sat out a year, that means he actually maintained passing grades for a full year before taking the court? Where did Tip transfer to? He had his moments, but in those days the recruiting rankings were much less viable than now. They were usually the opinion of like 3 people.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Tidbit and for those of us that are optimistic about this recruit - EC had a Scout rating of 80 Stanford was 82
Scout had him listed as a SF. Couldn't help but notice the length of his arms. Maybe he plays a lot taller ?!

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/stanfor ... 72843c1fer?!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Marbury is listed in URI's records as 1998-01.
What I remember most was, Preston was our only
legitimate guard with any experience.
Harrick wanted to redshirt Vinson, but was forced to play him, when
Zack couldn't become eligible.
Marbury could have had an impact under Harrick, for
that team. He had physical talent, but playing for
Jerry D, like Bell, never developed beyond AAU type ball.
When Preston got hurt, Lamar actually played PG vs.
PC and Cincinnatti, which was a disaster.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Remember that season pretty well - Tip definitely came on at the end, remember hanging with that team in the hotel in Philly after the quarters and semi wins. He had a couple strong games. That PC game was an utter disaster, and I talked so much smack that week to PC friends about Lamar dominating them.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

That pc game was such a disaster. The 66 year old brain is going - didn't Preston show some guts and try to play in that game?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

neil wrote:That pc game was such a disaster. The 66 year old brain is going - didn't Preston show some guts and try to play in that game?

I know what you're saying. My brain is failing, also. Who's Preston???
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

With Rod on this. Sorry. At some point, you need to fill holes and stop the process of "just acquiring talent". Three years of schollie for two years of a guy who hasn't been great so far at a position of great supply on the team (and in college hoops in general) doesn't make sense. And I wish people would stop talking about HS rankings. They mean a ton when taken in aggregate because highly ranked players are more likely than lower ranked players to succeed sight unseen on a college floor. But he's played two years! DH has done a great job putting URI on the verge of something really pretty great but I am concerned we are stockpiling players that will help URI beat the teams it should (which is important) but not the teams it needs to take the leap.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Well said, GBG.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Gonebarongone wrote:With Rod on this. Sorry. At some point, you need to fill holes and stop the process of "just acquiring talent". Three years of schollie for two years of a guy who hasn't been great so far at a position of great supply on the team (and in college hoops in general) doesn't make sense. And I wish people would stop talking about HS rankings. They mean a ton when taken in aggregate because highly ranked players are more likely than lower ranked players to succeed sight unseen on a college floor. But he's played two years! DH has done a great job putting URI on the verge of something really pretty great but I am concerned we are stockpiling players that will help URI beat the teams it should (which is important) but not the teams it needs to take the leap.
where's all these talented true centers that wanted to come here but were passed up for Robinson? Yeah, thought so.

btw, bringing in a 6'7 forward and 6'8 forward addresses the holes in the post.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Forward don't address post issues.
Hassan Martin will be confined to playing center
for yet another year.
A career of playing out of position. I doubt that's what
he was expecting coming here.
As for Mr. Robinson...if I told you we were going to sign a player, who was a SG, but made all of
three 3's in two seasons, shot 33% and 58% on his free throws, with a negative
assist to turnover ratio, what would the reaction be?
The only thing people are looking at is his prep school rating.
If not for that, it would be laughable.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:With Rod on this. Sorry. At some point, you need to fill holes and stop the process of "just acquiring talent". Three years of schollie for two years of a guy who hasn't been great so far at a position of great supply on the team (and in college hoops in general) doesn't make sense. And I wish people would stop talking about HS rankings. They mean a ton when taken in aggregate because highly ranked players are more likely than lower ranked players to succeed sight unseen on a college floor. But he's played two years! DH has done a great job putting URI on the verge of something really pretty great but I am concerned we are stockpiling players that will help URI beat the teams it should (which is important) but not the teams it needs to take the leap.
where's all these talented true centers that wanted to come here but were passed up for Robinson? Yeah, thought so.

btw, bringing in a 6'7 forward and 6'8 forward addresses the holes in the post.
It addresses how you beat Duquense. Not how you beat really good teams.

If talented bigs lined up on the doorstep to play for you, college coaches would not get compensated as well as they do. Identify good ones, evaluate the ones that would fit your team, and then close them. Not saying Jahlil Okafor. But, even a guy like Gustys would be great on this team. 5 good fouls, 8 good boards, good post d, and dunks/put backs.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Hurley didn't choose Robinson over a starting center for next year. Hurley chose Robinson over leaving a scholarship open next year.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I can see the argument on both sides here, but the Robinson addition has no impact on next year. I'd like to see where we are next summer before I judge it. My only point has been that I think some posters here have undervalued what kind of player this guy could be because of the numbers on the roster, and I don't necessarily think those two things should be related.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Forward don't address post issues.
Hassan Martin will be confined to playing center
for yet another year.
A career of playing out of position. I doubt that's what
he was expecting coming here.
As for Mr. Robinson...if I told you we were going to sign a player, who was a SG, but made all of
three 3's in two seasons, shot 33% and 58% on his free throws, with a negative
assist to turnover ratio, what would the reaction be?
The only thing people are looking at is his prep school rating.
If not for that, it would be laughable.
People are also looking at who we were competing against to sign the kid. The fact that he went to visit VCU and had interest from schools like Maryland, Villanova etc. That means that talented coaches beyond Coach Hurley felt the kid could still play.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

We tried to get some good four-year front court players this cycle. Silva, Aflak(PUI), Alexander, Enoch, Falzon, a few highly regarded JUCOs, and likely some others I am forgetting. Unfortunately, we lost those battles. (sh)It happens. BFC has the right of it - we didn't pass on any of those guys in order to bring in Robinson.

Robinson is far better than an open scholarship, IMO. Mid-year transfers are rare (especially of Kuran's caliber, he is by far the exception, not the rule), and we have at least 3 scholarships open for 2016 as it currently stands. Also as Bos8 notes, if we judge him on the UBER CRITERION of a-player-is-only-as-good-as-his-offers, then Robinson grades out quite highly. Good get, I'm excited he's on board, and I think he's a great pickup for our program's last scholarship that was still available as of May 19th.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The 2016 class is considered a really good one.
Dan always said he likes to have one scholarship in his
pocket, in case of a transfer.
I'd rather he'd have held it and used it for 2016. We've offered
a ton of guards, already and have been involved with a few good
ones for years.
They had a very small pool of bigs targeted this fall, and that's
where the problem started. When they all went elsewhere,
staff was scrambling to get involved late on 2015s and jucos.
It's done and the wisdom of this move or its folly, won't be seen
for a couple of years.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Re: '13 MD SG Stanford Robinson (IU Transfer)

Unread post by bressler3south »

Rhody74 wrote:
URI_IEP wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:I'm not sure how to feel about Robinson, given his stats at IU. I'd still rather have an athletic 7-footer.
Captain Obvious quote of the day
Ah .... you outed me. Might as well post my real picture as an avatar.

Sorry if I'm not as excited as some of you. If he achieves the potential he showed as a high schooler, than that'll teach me.
By the way, Rhody74, I love the "class photo"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Dan always said he likes to have one scholarship in his
pocket, in case of a transfer.
Which is an indication that he must really like Robinson, no? He would rather use his last scholarship on him, than save it for later, even though he has told you off the record that he likes to leave one open. He's apparently not completely closed off to the idea of keeping an open scholarship, but in his eyes, Robinson is more valuable.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Villanova, Texas and Indiana were on this kid hardest out of HS. Sorry, but I am 110% on taking a shot with him. Bird in hand, is it a gamble sure but any kid is. Unless you have 100% certainty you could bring in a Top 50 guard in 2016 why would you not take him. And since we have attracted all of 0 Top 50 guards in the last 15 years I would say Dan is playing percentages.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Interesting that for years this board has been all about trying to figure out recruits for now or you know a guy that can possibly step in. Now the argument is trying to project what will be in the future.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rod is there some specific reason you don't like this player?

As you know we are 100% in agreement on the need for strong post play I just can't see passing up on this level of elite talent....maybe down the road we can pass but we are not there yet.

We had to roll the dice here IMHO.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

First of all, if you think this is some kind of personal thing,
you couldn't be more off base.
I've stated very clearly what I felt. Go back and read this thread.
When I first saw the name attached to URI, I liked it, until
I did some research.
As I said, take away the prep rating and people would be
appalled if we brought in a SG who made three 3s in two years,
shot sub 40%, 11% from 3, and under 60% free throws, and a negative
assist to turnover ratio.
Seriously, look at those stats and tell me I'm wrong.
Tom Crean isn't a lousy coach like Josh Pastner,
with players who never develop.
I went on the IU Scout board and in seven pages, could find no trace
of anyone writing about Robinson. Not a word.
If those who watched him play for two years, have
no reaction to his transferring, does that say anything?
Hardly the reaction of PC fans when Chukwu left.
I'm tired of this discussion. I don't know what more I can say,
to answer your question.
It's done. Time to move on.
ow we all have years to wait, to see how it plays out.
Remember, the last scholarship two years ago, went
to Matt Butler.
Guess they really wanted him, too.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

nah never entered my mind that it was personal....

You do the research which was why I asked. I follow zero Big 10 basketball tho I watched Wisconsin pretty close this year for obvious reasons.....

Let's hope this works out.

(we still have no true/strong post play)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The day I don't want every URI player to do well,
is the day I become a PC fan.
The better everyone is, the better our team is.
The better each years teams are, the better our program.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don't think Butler could have taken the last scholarship in '13 because they had one open for Watson to sign but not play in the 13-14 season. Even though Hare, Powell, and Aaman didn't really play that season, they were still on scholarship. It looked they would have so much depth that year, too, but it was just one thing after another until they were playing most of the conference schedule with just 8 guys.

I have no problem going into a season with no available roster spots. They're going to have 3 for the '16s, maybe 4 if EC goes. If they leave one open but don't sign anyone and EC goes, it jumps to 5. We'll see how this turns out, but I don't mind the move.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It's also possible E.C. leaves for the NBA next year, so I'd say it's a safe move. He's got some tremendous athleticism, he's going to have a lot of time to develop his game over the next year and a half.
He'll in all likely hood be better off the bench than Biggie or Matt. More positives than negatives.
If we cant get a big for next year we really will be in trouble and that would be quite the failure for Dan.
I'm sure he'll do all in his power to get some lean beef up front.
ARD'S in the house too.
Another scenario might be, if we get to the tournament win a game or two and It's obvious our main weakness is our lack of a good big man, we'd be quite the attraction for those big suitors.
For now we certainly got all the girth you could ask for with Berry Iffy and Earl.
Teach them how to use the butt Tone!
0 x