'13 MD SG Stanford Robinson (URI Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: '13 MD SG Stanford Robinson (URI Commit)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod, great research on your part.

After reading your post, this guy seems like a stiff.

The staff has to see something we don't here. Maybe he's just guard insurance.

He's got a year to work with the team. Hopefully he's better than that when he's called on to play.

We still need a good PG for 2016. We also need SG's that can shoot. We could also have used another big, either a transfer or 5th year.

So this move, on the surface, certainly seems like a head scratcher. Maybe it is a calculated gamble.

Time will tell.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The staff, Tom Crean, Jay Wright, Rick Barnes....there have been some pretty smart basketball minds that have thought highly of this kid. There are countless kids who struggle in one place and reinvent themselves elsewhere. Do Kuran's stats leave you floored? Ok so Josh Pastner is not John Wooden, but he is not Jerry D either. Point being, splitting hairs between their resumes -- in short neither had a very impressive first two years in college. I am equally excited about Kuran and Robinson. A school like URI has to roll the dice when they can grab a Top 60 kid.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

My former co-worker is an IU alum and follows their bball team closely. I asked him about Robinson and here's what he said:

'He's good... Bad shooter but can drive. Once his confidence goes he's a mess tho. If he comes in confident on the right foot he's got the talent.

I remember 2 years ago he basically took over our game vs Wisconsin just taking it strong at their big men.'

I did look up the Wisconsin game my friend was referencing. Robinson had 13 pts 6-10 fg, 5 rebounds in 24 minutes in a 75-72 win over #3 Wisconsin. His game logs from freshman year are way more impressive than sophomore year. Seems like he got buried behind James Blackmon.

I'm excited about Robinson and what he can bring to URI. 4 former top 100 recruits is awesome, and I trust Hurley's talent evaluation. If EC stays 4 years then were talking about a guard rotation in 2016-17 consisting of 3 top 100 recruits, great time to be a Rhody fan.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I work in Chicago and have over 100 Indiana grads at my company. I've spoken to 3 different individuals that follow the team closely and all have the same general feedback:

Great athlete
Can get to the rim
Great defender
Bad shooter who lost his confidence

I think this is a positive addition. I like it even more given the fact he has an entire year to work on his shot fundamentals and confidence in his stroke.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

sounds like Akeem Richmond's soph year
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

As for Iverson, I talked to someone in the coaching fraternity (not PM)
who told me the best thing to happen to Iverson was getting away from
Memphis. This person added that Pastner was THE worst coach in D-1.
Rick Barnes? Didn't he get shitcanned from Texas?
He's also 6'9" with a handle, and those guys aren't like dime
a dozen 2 guards who can't shoot.
Since we've suddenly become rating mad, their rankings weren't remotely similar, either.
Iverson at one point in high school was ranked number five in the country in his class.
Not even close in comparing their potential impact on this program.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote:I am equally excited about Kuran and Robinson. A school like URI has to roll the dice when they can grab a Top 60 kid.
Agreed, and, despite their struggles, you're talking about well-known, well-connected guys coming from nationally prominent basketball backgrounds (Findlay Prep for SR, Nike EYBL for both). If- and of course it's still a big if- this staff can succeed in getting these guys back to a level that was previously expected for them, that's big for the staff's reputation and the program.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Oh, and Robinson averaged all of 10 ppg at Findley Prep.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

here is some Indiana fans talking about him

http://indiana.247sports.com/Board/144/ ... d-37348082
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I don't really get the notion that it was Stanford Robinson or mystery big guy. If that were the case it would have been Andre Berry v. Mystery big guy.

I would love to have seen URI land Silva, Falzon, Aflakpui or Reuter but it didn't happen. Should Rhody have cast a wider net for big men, probably. But I'm excited about the potential Robinson brings to this roster and I trust Hurley wouldn't have brought him in if this was going to be a 'fill out the roster' sort of move.

Although, I hope Rhody one day gets to the point where former top 100 recruits are fill out the roster type moves. :D

If Hurley can hit on a couple of these transfers and develop them maybe we can become a mini Iowa State and start calling Hurley the mayor of Kingston. :lol:
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don't know if this will work out or not.

But as for his stats at Findlay Prep, I don't see as a negative 10 points, 6 rebounds, and 5 assists on a roster with Williams Goss (Gonzaga), Wade (Miami), Freeman (Baylor), Wood and Poyser (UNLV), Griciunas (Charlotte), Ndoye (Mississippi State), Okoroh (Cal), and Schilling (Michigan State).
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seems to be feeling pretty good about his decision.

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I like that he puts defense first. Not a lot of basketball players at any level do that.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

This is getting obscurely silly now. Stanford Robinson is one excellent signing for THE URI RAMS period.

GO RHODY!
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm quite pleased by this news, believe it or not. I also don't see how it hinders the forward recruiting of bigs, Robinson is a good use of the last scholarship at this point in the season imo, if we're not going to grab an impact big ready to go next season, then why not take a chance on a high motor, high rated transfer. We have 3 spots for recruiting a good big or two for the 16/17 campaign. Also, its not like we are going to move away from 3 guard sets, so the more high quality talent we have at guard the better, it feels like we're striking a balance to me. Now then, to continue the trend towards balance, I would assume our recruiting focus for 16' will be on C/PF's and PG's.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramswin
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ramswin »

Solid pick-up. Robinson was our best option at this point. It would be silly to let a scholarship go to waste for a pipe-dream Big man looking to transfer mid-semester. If this magical big man shows up at our door in January with a burning desire to join the Rams then he can pay his own tuition for a semester and then receive a scholarship. The cost would be minimal or nothing at all based on financial need. Sign 2 Bigs and a PG for '16 to keep this program moving in the right direction.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great signing. We beat out VCU for this kid, shows how far the recruiting program has come when we can disagree about a guy that we beat out one of the strongest A10 Programs for.
I like the kid anyway, but will go with Hurley's judgement
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We beat out Wade, not Smart.
We beat a program with players leaving and decommitting
by the droves.
Havoc is dead and gone.
Robinson claims he wanted playing time. If VCU is still
so wonderful, and they have a shortage of players,
then why go to where there's a glut of guards?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rod you said how Texas shitcanned Barnes, which is correct. But didn't Barnes also bring Texas to a Final Four, 2 other Elite Eights and 15 NCAAs? Seems to me he was able to identify talent and recruit. Can't leave out those facts if you're going to talk about Barnes. Also, I don't see how Pastner could be the WORST D1 coach in the country as you claim him to be, as he brought Memphis to 4 straight NCAAs, and coached 5 players who would end up playing in the NBA. 4 straight NCAAs, 5 NBA players coached. Don't see how that person can be considered the worst coach in Division 1 basketball.

Also, FWIW, had a friend run into one of Iverson's high school teammates a while back, who says back when they played together, Iverson strictly got by on talent, had a bad work ethic, and was a bad practice player. He also got shut down by Dunn, which totally took him out of the game. Now, things have most likely changed with Iverson and I'm sure he has corrected some of his bad habits. Just saying that maybe it wasn't all Pastner's fault...
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

True, Smart is gone, not the same...............
But VCU wanted Robinson.
He is from Fiarfax Virginia, played for Team Takeover AAU Washington DC
Richmond was also on Robinson
So for URI to be the choice of a kid who supposedly wanted to play closer to home says something
To me a good roll of the dice with the last scholarship available, a good gamble
Only time will tell
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Also, looking at Robinson's freshman stats, there's one glaring difference that I see: his minutes for OOC game compared to B10 games. OOC games he had 0 games of 20 or more minutes, when he had 13 games over 20 minutes in B10 games. That quite a difference, and a positive in my eyes.
0 x
Go Rhody
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yeah, Pastner is wonderful. At recruiting.
He still hasn't done anything in NCAA games.
Here's some highlights of this wonderful coach:

"Memphis head basketball coach Josh Pastner has a really great excuse for why he committed a recruiting violation this past Tuesday night – it’s the wife’s fault."

"March, and about winning the big games. In the NCAA tournament, he lost close games in the first round his first two tries. He started his career 0-13 against ranked teams before beating Oklahoma State earlier this year. After all these feast-on-the-little-guy, lose-to-the-big-guy moments, people around Memphis started to wonder: Was the 36-year-old Pastner good, but not good enough?"

"Two tournament wins in five years at an elite level school is not what makes a legend, is it? Not for a prodigy. Watching Pastner’s Tigers play is like watching an AAU team full of the best players play in a mid-level tournament. The game is full of highlight real dunks and one-handed passes, but devoid of defense and basic principles on offense. During a blowout loss to Oklahoma State this season, analysts from across the country were tweeting “does Memphis runs any Offense”, “do they know you actually have to play defense at the Division 1 level”. The Oklahoma State loss was in November. Fast forward to last night’s NCAA Tournament game against Virginia, and nothing had changed. In fact, over five years nothing has changed. Memphis plays AAU basketball."

"I think that was the primary problem with Memphis. I saw a team with talent and a young coach that allowed Memphis to play undisciplined bball, which lacked fundamentals."
"The attitude of the fan base is one of detachment / anger / frustration. This is not a good thing for Pastner, who appears to be in danger of losing his team as well."
Would you like Steve Kerr's opinion?
"According to Golden State Warriors head coach and UA product Steve Kerr, those colors don't mix. Kerr, during a media session, told Local 24 News in Memphis just how he felt about a Wildcat potentially coaching the Sun Devils.
"Josh Pastner is not allowed to take the ASU job," Kerr said. "Let's make that clear."
And finally:
Fire Josh Pastner (@FireJPastner) | Twitter
twitter.com/FireJPastner
Last edited by rodfromcranston 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

"Yeah, Pastner is wonderful. At recruiting.
Here's some highlights of this wonderful coach."

I never said anything close to him being wonderful (again putting words in people's mouths), I just put out facts that made it hard for me to believe he is the worst coach in D1 basketball.
0 x
Go Rhody
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Here's another one. A petition to fire Pastner.

"After losing to CBU and Wichita State, we as Memphis basketball fan have had enough. Over the past six years we have witnessed nothing but mediocre basketball teams with annual trips to the second round of the NCAA tournament and three wins over schools ranked in the top 25. It's time to put an end to this mediocrity, so please join me in my efforts to rid the University of Memphis athletic program of the infestation that is Josh Pastner."

With all that talent, they didn't even make the NIT this season.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just checked out Memphis' roster, and come to find out, Trashawn Burrell is on the team, one of out former commits if I'm not mistaken?
0 x
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

IU recruited Stan the year they were ranked in the preseason as the #1 team in the country. Lot of fanfare around the program again after a huge recruiting hull by Crean. I think IU over recruited that year, so kids like Stan probably tried to over compensate on the floor since the team arguably had 7-8 Top #150 kids on the roster. You see it all the time with kids, and pressure can either bust pipes or create diamonds. I think he had larger shoes to fill than he anticipated at IU. I think here at URI, he will be more of an asset to us, with a coach he had a similar relationship in Kenny Johnson while at IU, now in Dave Cox.

Despite his woes on and off the floor, this kind of high profile kid with name recognition, no matter how you associate it, is good for URI. It piques the interest just a little more.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

rodfromcranston wrote:Yeah, Pastner is wonderful. At recruiting.
Here's some highlights of this wonderful coach:

"Memphis head basketball coach Josh Pastner has a really great excuse for why he committed a recruiting violation this past Tuesday night – it’s the wife’s fault."

"March, and about winning the big games. In the NCAA tournament, he lost close games in the first round his first two tries. He started his career 0-13 against ranked teams before beating Oklahoma State earlier this year. After all these feast-on-the-little-guy, lose-to-the-big-guy moments, people around Memphis started to wonder: Was the 36-year-old Pastner good, but not good enough?"

"Two tournament wins in five years at an elite level school is not what makes a legend, is it? Not for a prodigy. Watching Pastner’s Tigers play is like watching an AAU team full of the best players play in a mid-level tournament. The game is full of highlight real dunks and one-handed passes, but devoid of defense and basic principles on offense. During a blowout loss to Oklahoma State this season, analysts from across the country were tweeting “does Memphis runs any Offense”, “do they know you actually have to play defense at the Division 1 level”. The Oklahoma State loss was in November. Fast forward to last night’s NCAA Tournament game against Virginia, and nothing had changed. In fact, over five years nothing has changed. Memphis plays AAU basketball."

"I think that was the primary problem with Memphis. I saw a team with talent and a young coach that allowed Memphis to play undisciplined bball, which lacked fundamentals."
"The attitude of the fan base is one of detachment / anger / frustration. This is not a good thing for Pastner, who appears to be in danger of losing his team as well."
Would you like Steve Kerr's opinion?
"According to Golden State Warriors head coach and UA product Steve Kerr, those colors don't mix. Kerr, during a media session, told Local 24 News in Memphis just how he felt about a Wildcat potentially coaching the Sun Devils.
"Josh Pastner is not allowed to take the ASU job," Kerr said. "Let's make that clear."
And finally:
Fire Josh Pastner (@FireJPastner) | Twitter
twitter.com/FireJPastner

Not a Pastner fan by any means, in fact I agree that he is not a good basketball coach, but why was the Steve Kerr quote included in this post? That was simply about Kerr not wanting a fellow University of Arizona alum coaching their rival Arizona State. That quote doesn't have anything to do with his coaching ability. If he said that Pastner wasn't allowed to take the U of A job, then that would be completely different and a strong criticism of Pastner's coaching ability.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

So anyways....
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote:IU recruited Stan the year they were ranked in the preseason as the #1 team in the country. Lot of fanfare around the program again after a huge recruiting hull by Crean. I think IU over recruited that year, so kids like Stan probably tried to over compensate on the floor since the team arguably had 7-8 Top #150 kids on the roster. You see it all the time with kids, and pressure can either bust pipes or create diamonds. I think he had larger shoes to fill than he anticipated at IU. I think here at URI, he will be more of an asset to us, with a coach he had a similar relationship in Kenny Johnson while at IU, now in Dave Cox.

Despite his woes on and off the floor, this kind of high profile kid with name recognition, no matter how you associate it, is good for URI. It piques the interest just a little more.
I agree with that last statement. Overall, rankings don't always mean much. But, to the kids who are being ranked, I think it means a lot. If a kid like Tyrique Jones or Rodney Miller (please!, please!, please!) see that URI has picked up yet another top 100 player, they might think it's not such a bad place to play. To some, like Kyle Washington (Hell, no!), it didn't. Obviously, that's not the main reason why they wanted Robinson, but I agree, it does help pique the interest of other top players out there.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

College asketball fans and Memphis fans, analysts, and others ask: Have Pastner's Memphis teams overachieved or underachieved?

I think the answer is pretty self-evident.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

"and pressure can either bust pipes or create diamonds."

I love this line. Think I'll use it and say I made it up. lol
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramfan85 wrote:"and pressure can either bust pipes or create diamonds."

I love this line. Think I'll use it and say I made it up. lol
Go for it bro! LOL ;)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Not sure how this descended into a debate on Josh Pastner -- bottom line is the college resume of Robinson and Iverson are similar. FACT. They have both been disappointments. Talk about his high school stats, or Pastner's inability to coach, are besides the point. Both kids were highly regarded, and whether ranked 20 or 60, bring with them recruiting rankings we seldom attract.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Pastner's inability to develop players IS exactly the point.
With better coaching, he probably wouldn't be here.
Read about his Jerry D AAU style of "roll the ball out and
let em go" style of play.

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That's hyperbole...plenty of players have succeeded in spite of bad coaching. Again, a Top 60 player recruited by Texas, Villanova and Indiana is worth a roll of the dice for a school like URI.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

And plenty of good players have done nothing,and never realized their potential
because of lousy coaching.
How quickly we forget.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Of course. No one arguing that -- transfers are ALWAYS a roll of the dice. But to infer that the risk is greater with Robinson than it is with Iverson is pure speculation. In fact Robinson's performance against Wisconsin is superior to anything Iverson showed in his college career thus far.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Hopefully the formatting sticks when I post this. Looking at the stats, there's not a huge difference between the two (except their size). Both were highly ranked/recruited players in HS who underachieved at their initial stops. To me, bringing in any transfer is a risk but, with players like Kuran and Stan, it is a risk that Dan & staff need to take at this time.

I never thought I'd have to defend the decision to bring in a former top-100 recruit to serve as a depth piece at URI. Things are certainly looking up in Kingston!

Per Game Averages
MPG PPG RPG APG BPG SPG FPG TOPG AST/TO
Kuran Iverson 9.9 3.1 1.7 0.8 0.3 0.3 1.0 1.1 0.7
Stan Robinson 14.4 4.8 2.2 1.1 0.2 0.6 1.7 1.2 0.9

Per Minute Averages
PTS REB AST BLK STL PF TO FGM FGA 3PM 3PA FTM FTA
Kuran Iverson 0.316 0.173 0.083 0.030 0.034 0.102 0.113 0.120 0.267 0.011 0.053 0.064 0.124
Stan Robinson 0.333 0.153 0.078 0.011 0.039 0.118 0.085 0.118 0.292 0.003 0.029 0.094 0.158

Career Statistics
MIN PTS REB AST BLK STL PF TO FGM FGA FG% 3PM 3PA 3P% FTM FTA FT%
Kuran Iverson 266 84 46 22 8 9 27 30 32 71 45.1% 3 14 21.4% 17 33 51.5%
Stan Robinson 906 302 139 71 10 35 107 77 107 265 40.4% 3 26 11.5% 85 143 59.4%
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Guess the formatting didn't stick...

Sorry guys!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

To continue this endless discussion,
our coach, Dan Hurley told me that after
watching Kuran Iverson play since he got here,
that's Iverson is,"An amazing player".
He loves all that this player can do.
Iverson is the polar opposite of how some portray him.
He's friendly, humble and seems to have his act together.
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

This argument is silly. We "lost" Butler and Reischel and added Iverson and Robinson. Does ANYONE have an issue with those upgrades?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The big thing that's being overlooked here is that we won't need a shooter 2 or 3 years out like we did for this year.

I swear this recruiting class has to be the most out of whack ratio of talked about to talent that we've ever had.

Christion Thompson is a STUD. I really don't think people understand how good of a player/shooter this kid is. That's either because we got in on him so early before he blew up, or because all Hurley does these days is bring in major talent so when we get another one people just shrug their shoulders and find something else to complain about.

Whether EC leaves next year or not, Thompson will slot into his spot, not Stan. Unless Stan wins the job out, then that's a win-win.

But you'll be adding a defense first guy as a junior with Jarvis and Jared (who have good looking strokes as well that you figure would develop), and Thompson who comes in as a shooter.

It is through a very overly pessimistic world view that anyone could see this signing as anything other than great for the program.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Blue Man, I'm one of those who were underwhelmed by Robinson's signing, but your post makes me realize that he's not a replacement for EC as he is for TJ .... an athletic defender who can drive to the hoop, but isn't necessarily a strong outside shooter.

I still would've preferred the invisible Greek guy, but that wasn't going to happen.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Berry is a major talent? Really?
I do agree with you on Thompson, though.
Sorry, as far as Robinson goes, I don't drink the Koolaide.
Guess those of us who don't are not entitled to our opinion,
even though we've seen more basketball than 90% of
people living.
And what do you know about anyone's "world view" on this board?
Based on a fucking basketball signing? Are you kidding me?
Ridiculous and presumptuous.
If he's just a sub, he'll leave after his year here and go
play somewhere else, where people can have the big O over his prep school rating.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

StanRoss! ‏@ShowMeLoveStan · 13h13 hours ago
Rhode Island tomorrow! New Beginnings
0 x