'13 NY SG/SF Hassan Martin (URI - Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: '13 NY SG/SF Hassan Martin (URI - Signed LOI)

Unread post by ace »

To be clear, in case anyone didn't see the context, he was talking about the Butler game, but he seemed ready to pack his bags and start classes this week if possible!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:Put him on a team with Biruta, Onyekaba, Aaman, and Hare (please, Jordan) and that will change. I could watch him jump and finish with those one-handed dunks all day long.
Not sure what you mean by Hare (please, Jordan)?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I love his enthusiasm for URI.
I wish Matthews had seemed as positive.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

nothing was saying he's not positive, he just took his twitter down
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He never expressed himself about playing here, like Hassan has.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

he just be his personality, might not be a kid that wants everything to be about him.

on a related note to Hassan, he had 15 points and 14 rebounds today in his win
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Nice!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ace wrote:Put him on a team with Biruta, Onyekaba, Aaman, and Hare (please, Jordan) and that will change. I could watch him jump and finish with those one-handed dunks all day long.
Not sure what you mean by Hare (please, Jordan)?
Not much, just my quiet little plea to Hare to continue developing his game. I liked his game yesterday quite a bit- he was active and very involved, even on the bench. I don't even mind the technical. And if he's getting extended game minutes that tells me his practice time is becoming more effective. He needs to develop to a point where the game slows down for him. Right now, it's all happening very quickly. He'll fight for a rebound and then follow that up with an air ball attempted put-back. But I have faith that he'll get it.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Brian Flinn‏@BFlinnFuture150

Hassan Martin named MVP. 24 points, 13 boards, 6 blocks
New Heights ‏@NewHeightsNYC

Congrats to Hassan Martin on earning game MVP as Curtis Martin defeated PDA
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Curtis Martin? The running back?

Way to go, Hassan!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

good to see your guy in the headlines

http://highschoolsports.silive.com/news ... olorunoje/

Curtis tops Transit Tech behind Martin, Olorunoje

kevin flood, January 24, 2013 10:20 p.m.

Hassan Martin and Jamel Olorunoje took care of business in the paint as Curtis registered an impressive 63-55 win over visitring Transit Tech on senior night Thursday evening at the Warriors’ gym in St. George.

With just one Island PSAL game remaining in the regular season (Friday at Petrides), Curtis entered Thursday’s non-league affair sporting a 13-0 record, and the victory over the tough, physical team from the competitive Brooklyn AA Division can only enhance the Island teams portfolio.

“A win like this against a team like Transit can only help us as far the PSAL seedings are concerned,” Curtis coach Rich Buckheit said of the upcoming PSAL playoffs. “Hopefully we’ll be seeded in the top five, which would be an excellent position.”

The teams were knotted at 14-all after one period as the balanced attack of the Warriors was offset by seven points from Express point-guard Fabian MacDonald.

“They have three guards that can all shoot from deep,” Buckheit said of the Transit squad. “My kids are far enough into the season that they don’t have to be told who is doing the damage against us. In the second quarter, they were getting out to the perimeter shooters a little quicker.”

With the Curtis defense closing ranks and holding the visitors to nine points in the second stanza, Martin (game-high 24 points, six blocked shots, 13 rebounds) began his high-flying act.

The Rhode Island University-bound senior notched eight points in the second quarter, blocked three shots, and when he slammed down a dunk on a leap that started from the foul line with 230 seconds left in the half, the Warriors had a 28-21 advantage.

After the break, the hard-running Express pressed all over the floor, but each attempt to cut the deficit was derailed by Olorunoje, who was all over the offensive boards from the opening tap.

The junior scored 10 points in the third period (all off offensive rebounds), kept first and second shot attempts alive, and when he was done with his work in the trenches, Curtis had a 49-36 lead into the final stanza.

“He (Olorunoje) is unassuming and flies under the radar,” Buckheit added. “But he’s as tough off the boards as any player around. He just gets the job done.”
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

expect Martin to make the trip up from Staten Island for today's Fordham - URI game
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He tweeted that he has his SATs today.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

"senior Hassan Martin added 18 points and 14 rebounds as the defending tourney champion Warriors reached the title game for the fifth time in six years and the 13th time in the tournament’s 21-year history."

http://highschoolsports.silive.com/news ... -catholic/
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Hassan's team just won the Staten Island championship. Looks like he came on in the 3rd and 4th after a slow start. Live blog of the game up at silive.com
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Congrats to Curtis!

Hassan is the tournament MVP.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ESPN Insider updated his scouting report, although it seems to rely on the premise that he'll be a PF at the college level, which is not quite accurate

ESPN Analyst
Updated 02/13/2013

Strengths:
Martin is a long lean and very athletic lefty power forward that runs the floor extremely well and excels in transition. He uses his quick bounce to finish above the rim not only on the break but when he receives drop off passes created by dribble penetration. Martin has a good basketball body and frame to build upon as well. He rebounds in and out of his area on the both ends of the floor and has the length and athletic ability to defend both forward positions. Martin activity also helps him be a pretty good shot blocker on the ball or coming from the weakside help position.

Weaknesses:
Martin must work to add strength in order to handle strong and physical power forward opponents in addition to continuing to hone his ball skills and individual scoring package with his back to the rim and facing which will take his already productive game to the next level.

Bottom Line:
Martin is a athletic power forward that can finish above the rim rebound and cause havoc for opponents on both ends of the floor. He must continue to build his game which will make him a more productive all around active live body forward with great upside.

Notes
Travel Team: New Heights...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Funny, Dan was talking about him today.
Says he has unlimited upside, and said if he doesn't grow, his game will be like
VCU's Treveon Graham , who he thinks is the best player in the A-10 and a "nightmare matchup".
No way will he be PF at URI. They love him, though.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Both Graham and Reddic from VCU are great players. They killed us.
0 x
Go Rhody!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Curtis starts their playoffs tomorrow night.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Curtis wins.

Martin with a triple double- 14 points, 10 blocks, and 20 rebounds.

http://highschoolsports.silive.com/news ... an-center/
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:Curtis wins.

Martin with a triple double- 14 points, 10 blocks, and 20 rebounds.

http://highschoolsports.silive.com/news ... an-center/
Wow, nice numbers there!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Hassan leads his team to NYC public league semifinals....first team from Staten Island to get this far in 30+ years. Next up is perennial Brooklyn power Thomas Jefferson. One more win and they advance to MSG I believe.

For a team that hasn’t seen Curtis play that often, that knows the Warriors mostly by reputation, the defensive strategy seems obvious. Send waves of defenders at 6-foot-7, Rhode Island-bound senior forward Hassan Martin. Taking the big man out of the game, the thinking goes, is the best way to handle the Warriors.

It’s something Curtis’ No. 2 scorer, Jermaine Anthony-Huff, has seen more than once.

“The other four on the court have to take advantage,” said Anthony-Huff. “That’s what we did today.”

Anthony-Huff led the Warriors with 21 points, knocking down three 3-pointers and a series of key baskets as No. 3 Curtis defeated sixth-seeded Queens borough tournament champion Bayside, 61-55, in the quarterfinals of the PSAL AA playoffs at St. John’s University in Queens.

Tyler Summers joined Anthony-Huff in taking advantage of the Bayside defenders collapsing around Martin to connect for two threes of his own and finish with 16 points, while Martin added 11. Jamel Olorunoje and Ben Ellis had six each.

“I don’t want to play the game without Hassan, but I have the utmost confidence in the other guys that are on the court to be able to make the plays,” said Buckheit. “They welcome that challenge, as you could see. Jermaine did. Jamel did. Tyler did. They almost take it as a personal affront.”

The win sends the Warriors into Sunday’s semfinals against No. 2 Jefferson, which finished second in Brooklyn behind top-seeded Lincoln and held off No. 7 Cardozo in overtime, 64-60.

Curtis becomes the first Staten Island squad to advance to the PSAL city championship tournament semifinals since New Dorp in 1981. This was the Warriors’ seventh quarterfinal appearance since 1991 and third in the last four seasons. Last year they fell just short against Lincoln in the quarters, 60-57.

“We just want to achieve our potential each and every year,” said Buckheit. “And I think that potentially we’re a team that, we’re not looking into the Garden right now, all we’re doing is looking for next week’s Jefferson/Cardozo. So right now we feel like we’re a team that can get by the next game.

“We’re not really into history other than trying to live in the moment and trying to be the best team that we can be at this time. There’s two games to win the city championship, but we’re just worried about one right now.”

While Martin spent much of the game struggling to get his hands on the ball, or being forced to pass quickly out of converging double teams when he did, he emerged as the dominant player on the court in the game’s decisive moments.

Tied at 44 in the opening minute of the fourth quarter, Olorunoje kicked off a 15-2 Curtis run with an elbow jumper. With the Warriors up 51-46, Martin made his first field goal of the half by tipping in a rebound in a crowd.

At the other end he came up with a block and rebound that triggered a fast break punctuated by Martin’s dunk off a dish from Olorunoje. Again Martin came up with a block and rebound and again Olorunoje set him up to score. Then Martin tipped the ball away from Bayside’s Austin Williams for a steal out near halfcourt, pushing it up to Anthony-Huff after a scramble on the floor for the fast-break layup that put Curtis up 59-46 with 2:34 remaining.

Martin had five blocked shots in the fourth quarter alone.

“Hassie did things at the end — the rebounds, the loose balls, the blocked shots, the tips, keeping the ball alive — he did a couple of big, big-time plays which we tried to get him to focus on because the offensive game wasn’t really coming to him,” said Buckheit. “Hassan, in my eyes, persevered.”

The Warriors looked home free at that point, but Bayside had one more run left. The Commodores scored nine straight points over the next two minutes as the Warriors put together a few regrettable possessions of rushed shots and turnovers. The run brought Bayside within four points, trailing 59-55 with possession.

The Commodores came no closer, as Curtis came up with two stops around a pair of Anthony-Huff free throws to seal the win.

“I think, 13 points, you breathe a little easy,” said Buckheit. “And I think that’s what happened with us. When we once again were faced with the challenge, we did it.”

The Warrior run and the Bayside counter of the fourth quarter mirrored the flow of the game, one in which Curtis trailed only briefly, early in the second quarter. Down 17-14, the Warriors put together an 18-4 run keyed by Anthony-Huff.

The senior swingman opened things up with a transition basket, then set up Martin on the break. Summers drilled an NBA-range 3-pointer from high on the left wing and Anthony-Huff knocked down a top-of-the-key three and another from the right wing.

Martin dropped in a baseline jumper, Anthony-Huff followed from the elbow and the Warriors were up 32-21.

“Super-confident type of guy,” said Buckheit. “Can shoot. Can get into the lane. Understands the game completely. We run something, we change something, philosophy wise, whatever it is, he knows the game.”

Bayside trimmed the lead with six straight points before halftime, and caught up at 35 even 2:30 into the second half.

Summers scored nine of Curtis’ first 11 points of the third quarter, opening with another deep three. After Bayside tied the game at 35, Anthony-Huff scored inside off an inbounds play and Summers scored three straight times — a rebound putback, transition layup and 15-foot jumper — for an 8-0 run that put Curtis back up 43-35.

That was Summers’ last basket of the game, and it left him standing at 998 career points.

“Tyler’s a very confident guy,” said Buckheit. “He’s going to make shots because he thinks he’s going to make shots. That’s 90 percent of the battle right there.

“There were a couple of times we needed a couple of the shots he knocked down.”

Again Bayside pushed back. When Brandon King, who led the Commodores with 21 points, hit a free throw 24 seconds into the fourth quarter, the game was tied at 44.

But the Warriors, switching in and out of a man defense after playing zone for nearly the entire game, held Bayside to a single basket over the next five minutes and just 11 points the rest of the game.

“As the game wears on, you have to adjust to the quickness, and their quickness,” said Buckheit. “At this level, every game is a little different. As the tournament brackets get smaller, you’re going to be playing against faster guys. I think our guys are athletic enough to guard them, as it showed when the game was on the line.

“In the fourth quarter, when we had to guard them, we guarded them.”
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

BAR, just to be kind to the outlet that did that story - Can you post a link instead and just excerpt a paragraph or two? That's usually what you should do for online printed stories, because 1) copy-pasting the whole thing can be seen as taking content from them, even with full accreditation and 2) most places are looking for clicks and ad impressions nowadays, so if you like their reporting, you should do your best to reward them with it.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sounds like Martin has a high basketball IQ, and took what was
available on offense, and worked himself bigtome on the defensive end.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Zach Braziller‏@NYPost_Brazille

Stepinac's Josh James and Curtis' Hassan Martin selected to the Jordan Brand Regional Game, I'm told.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

http://www.psal.org/sports/PlayoffBrack ... BASKETBALL

Curtis plays Jefferson Sunday March 10 at 3pm at CCNY
The Winner of Curtis/Jefferson plays the winner of Lincoln/Wings Academy on Saturday March 16 at 12pm in Madison Square Garden - would be great if Curtis and Lincoln play for the AA Championship
Lincoln is led by Ethan Telfair (younger brother of Sebastian) and outstanding Junior Isaiah Whitehead.
0 x
TexRam
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TexRam »

Found this article on ESPN on the NY Public League Playoffs - with a nice writeup on Hassan:
"He works from end to end with a solemn expression of purpose and no theatrics, his one concession to showmanship the meticulously unstuck Velcro closures of his emergency green high-tops flapping at every step."

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9019 ... gent-paths
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Thanks for the find, Tex...some nice words about Hassan...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Would it be possible for people to post the status of twitter updates and not just the link? Twitter is blocked here @ work :)

Thanks!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Coach Hurley and Carr workin the room! 1 min to tipoff, impressive body on Martin (no homo)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote:Coach Hurley and Carr workin the room! 1 min to tipoff, impressive body on Martin (no homo)
BAR, lucky for you to be at this game.
I am most interested to hear how Marton does against Jefferson's Jermoine Faison who had 18 rebounds (9 offensive) in their last game against Cardozo. Faison is a smaller 6'6" but us a relentless rebounder.
Winner of this game goes against Wings Academy - Lincoln at 5pm which is the game right after Curtis - Jefferson at 3pm. You will be seeing some great basketball this afternoon.
Hurley and Carr will of course not be there only for Martin.
Isaiah Whitehead, Class of 2015, is already highly recruited from Lincoln HS - would love to see him move to Kingston.

Please keep the updates on this big 3pm game today coming
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote:Coach Hurley and Carr workin the room! 1 min to tipoff, impressive body on Martin (no homo)
Yeah definitely let us know how he looks today BAR.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Curtis down 32-24 at the half
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

At the half Hassan with 10pts incl a 3 and a few tip ins. Prob 2 blocks and a few more altered. He is very long but needs college strength. As ramster alluded to smaller tougher Jefferson forwards beating him on the boards.

Quick assessment that is familiar, he is a much more skilled left handed Monty Ulmer.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jefferson, the more talented team, runs away with it in the 2nd half and wins by 25. Hassan was the best player on the floor and I greatly look forward to 4 years of him!!! Coach Hurley first guy to greet him as we walked off the floor dejected. I can confirm, the future is bright.
His final stat line was prob like 15 pts, 8 boards, 4 blocks.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Thanks BAR!
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BAR,
Is Hurley staying for the Lincoln Game? How did the kid Faison look for Jefferson?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Yes ramster he is. Sitting with the guy Antigua and the coach of Cardozo.

Faison was as you described, an undersized work horse. But Jefferson killed Curtis from the outside, 3 of their guards were red hot. Hassan could have scored 25 if his teammates looked for him more.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
Love it!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

"IAmElite" and "Hassy the Great"... Ego gonna fit into the Ryan Center?

I trust Dan, but boy you can see how this generation of kids growing up on youtube and twitter are so into themselves.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The last kid PC signed, calls himself, Black Jesus!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

To be clear, I'm confident Hassan's an outstanding young man who Dan thinks can meet the challenges of his basketball program, on and off the court.

Who would walk around with a t-shirt with "I Am Elite" on it? Seriously. That's kind of what that twitter handle is like. Just shows that these kids are really young and immature when they decide on their twitter handles.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Hassan turns out to be an elite BB player here, I'll take it.

He's got to be a good student too, or Dan wouldn't have signed him.

Hey, he said "yes sir" .....that is being respectful.

At least these kids are speaking normal Engish on twitter. Remember Holton? Like trying to decipher Egyptian.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah, he's a good kid and should have a huge career at Rhody.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Plus he talks about helping his mother with groceries.
Biggest positive is, he always writes how much he's looking forward
to college.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

C'mon, 17 year old kids are supposed to be full of themselves and a little crazy. Not a concern.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I want kids that believe in themselves and are out to prove how good they are. If Hassan turns into a lottery pick, Hurley will makes sure he is a humble lottery pick. For now I'm OK with his self-affirmation.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011