'13 CT F Kuran Iverson (URI Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: '13 CT F Kuran Iverson (URI Commit)

Unread post by ace »

I find that my usually firm stance of "no waivers for any player EVER!!" tends to soften when it comes to players on teams I care about.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

He only played 8 games for Memphis this season............
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

eli#10 wrote:He only played 8 games for Memphis this season............
If he was injured he could qualify for a hardship waiver, which is available when a player plays in less than 30% of their team's games due to injury. But I don't think Kuran suffererd a season-ending injury, and he transferred anyways so it can't be argued injury kept him out of all of the games post-transfer.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Also, I believe the medical redshirt is no more than 30% and it is NOT past the halfway point of the season, which I am assuming it is for Memphis.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I forgot that they terminated his scholarship mid season. That could definitely be grounds for an appeal.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote:Also, I believe the medical redshirt is no more than 30% and it is NOT past the halfway point of the season, which I am assuming it is for Memphis.
I don't think he played at all this semester, right? So he wouldn't have played past the mid-point of the season. Moot point, anyways.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hey let's pick up Robert Upshaw. Center from Washington. Leads the nation in shot blocking. Kicked off the team for doing drugs.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Nice try, but we don't want to become the All Nitwit Team.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Hahaha. The runnin nitwits.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

I know Iverson is not really a 4 or 5 even at 6' 8" but what will the starting 5 look like once he settles in to the rotation sometime next January? They want to add a big man which is needed but I see a lineup of Garrett, Terell, Martin, Matthews & Iverson. Watson probably starts early in the yr as the 5th starter but this would be 1 quick lineup with Iverson joining the other 4. It's way too early & things have a way of working out but nice to see what looks like a very talented, athletic, & deep team if all goes well.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We should have a solid core of 8 players, when you add Thompson and Butts to those six.

The one glaring hole is at the 5, as we all know. Without another big man addition, Hassan will have to play most of his minutes there, with Watson replacing him for short stretches.

I would think we will play more uptempo offense next year with that group.

Not only do we need a 5 for next season, another 4 wouldn't hurt. Butts and Iverson are more small forwards than power forwards.

If that means someone has to leave to open up another scholarship, so be it.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Apologies if this had been posted already, but just saw it on Twitter. Its from 2012, but gives you a pretty good idea of why he was so highly rated out of high school.

0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Just an amazing talent. Can't wait to see him Hurleyized and
in a Rhody uniform!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yeah if Hurley can inspire him to work like the rest of the team does, and if he goes along with the camaraderie of the team then he should be able to really max out his college potential. He has good grades too.
If he can't buy into those virtues then he's as hopeless as __________.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The thing that excites me the most in that video are a couple of the passes he made. Those were impressive. Nice to have a 6'9" guy who can pass like that. Does anybody know what kind of reputation he has as a defensive player?
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Love the term Hurleyized , Rod. and that is exactly what we need to happen with KI. When will there be a public announcement which might give us an idea of his eligibility time frame?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy, from what I heard he has the potential to be an excellent defensive player.

However, from what the Memphis poster said, he had issues on defense that sound similar to why Dan hasn't been playing Earl that much.

Certainly not talent issues, more like lack of focus, not rotating on defense and leaving his man open.

That can be corrected, and Dan is just the man to do it.

That takes time, and there's plenty of time to work on it.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Big man needs aside, you have to be salivating at the possibilities athletically with Hassan, EC, Terrell, Garrett and Iverson on the floor together. I can almost guarantee DH uses a versatile 6'8 guy to trap the ball in a more pressing and extended style of our current man defense. We are missing that piece right now, VCU uses their long wings prominently in Havoc.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

He may be the second best ball handler to Jarvis on our team, if not his equal. His tape shows him making the same moves with the left and right hands. Amazing he didn't flourish and end up on some NBA roster already.

Gives pause, but im optimistic!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

It looks to me like he can replace a lot of what Gil does for us now which honestly I was worried about. If he buys in and commits to D and rebounding could be huge.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Nothing like Gil except they are both 6'8
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Salvage….salvage. Iverson had an epiphany, which is impressive, considering he's young….
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Kind of weird to hear guys that age so focused on their brand, but that is more a reflection on our culture than it is one him, individually. The important thing is that if he knows he has work to do, this could be an immensely and mutualy beneficial relationship for the player and the school.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Interpreting Dan's comments: Kuran, you have talent. We all know that. You have work to do- commit yourself to it, and this should work out well for all involved.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Interesting that Dan says it was Iverson that sought out URI rather than vice versa. Was this the Terrell connection that drew Iverson's interest?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Supposedly Ty Boswell was involved.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah if I had to make an assumption based on that, it would be that he went back to his AAU ties to help find his next landing spot and they led him here. (And alot of that is based on Rod's previous info as well, to give credit where its due)
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

“Kuran is a talented, versatile, athletic player that fits our program’s style of play,” said head coach Dan Hurley. “We are excited about his desire to be a part of our hard-working culture at Rhode Island and get his career back on track as a high-level, top-rated recruit coming out of high school.”

http://zagsblog.com/articles/rhody-land ... n-iverson/

And yes, AAU connections are strong,
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

During the 2014 spring semester, Iverson earned Tiger Academic 30 distinction - an award that honors student-athletes with the best grade-point average on each team (minimum 3.0 GPA). He was also named to the Tiger 3.0 Club for the 2014 spring semester.

He will practice with the Rams throughout the remainder of the academic year and will be eligible to compete at the conclusion of the fall 2015 final exam schedule.

http://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2014 ... 0129svva8u

Looks like he'll be eligible December 23.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Get him training with the rest of the squad and you will see a new body on Iverson by the middle of the summer. Butts and Thompson also will be beneficiaries…...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

This certainly speaks to Terrell being happy and comfortable in his short time in the program. If he had any misgivings you'd think Boswell would have taken that into account and wouldn't have viewed this as a good fit for Iverson.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Blue skies, people! Keaney Blue skies!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Blue skies, people! Keaney Blue skies!
Keep 'em coming. Who is the next big Expressions recruit?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

At one point, they had dropped their older teams. I'm not sure what their status is right now.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

From someone familiar with Iverson: lazy, which is why he never got a ton of minutes, and huge entourage, which scared off some teams.
That's why Hurley had to be talked into it. We'll see what happens.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, that's his rep, but with this current group of players, they feel they can take the chance. Hurley isn't exactly being cryptic in his comments.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

He's either going to buy into the program or he won't make it until December. Not really a TON of risk on our side.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I hope the entourage rumors are untrue, that is not good.....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Good grades and an entourage don't seem to make sense, though. An entourage takes too much time, money and effort. It doesn't even work in high school……...
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

The entourage us not a rumor. I can't speak about Memphis but his high school grades were not good
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote:The entourage us not a rumor. I can't speak about Memphis but his high school grades were not good
The Rhode Island official release speaks to his academic performance at Memphis.

We know the background. I have no problem keeping an open mind and trusting this program.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Maybe his entourage is big enough to fill those empty seats...bring em all!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

ace wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:The entourage us not a rumor. I can't speak about Memphis but his high school grades were not good
The Rhode Island official release speaks to his academic performance at Memphis.

We know the background. I have no problem keeping an open mind and trusting this program.
I trust Hurley too, but I think we all need to realize it was more than a personality conflict with the coach.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's like the Pats. They have enough leaders in the locker room
to absorb and straighten out a problem child.
"Conform or be cast out", to quote Rush.
Hurley won't put up with entourages hanging around one
of his players.
Tristan Thompson and Jordan Hare would attest that Dan
doesn't tolerate nonsense.
So, what are you suggesting, Iggy?
That Hurley shouldn't have enough confidence in his ability to mold young men
into doing it his way?
That he should have passed up on Iverson, because of "someone said he was lazy and
had an entourage"??
If you want to play with the big dogs, you need to get off the porch.
You don't see mid majors win without taking chances on some kids.
It's the reality of college basketball.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Of course it was more than that, he was averaging 4 ppg....I am sure the issues begin and end there. He wasn't producing, he wasn't playing, he wasn't getting along with his coach. He was insubordinate, bye bye. Besides the playing part it is eerily similar to a situation in Kingston with those that remain nameless.

That said, I like high majors transferring down a level, humbled, chip on his shoulder, time running out to play his way to his potential. I bet the entourage shrinks in Kingston. And its pretty obvious, if you dont play defense and work hard no matter how many points you score you aren't playing for a Dan Hurley team.
0 x
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

Why does this have to be called an entourage? Cant a man have friends without it being trouble..... We are not close to the situation, nor do we know who his friends are. Lets not pass judgement, its been 1 week in Kingston. We should still all be shouting from the rooftops over this pick up. DEEEEEEP breaths people, enjoy the ride.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BornNBred33 wrote:Why does this have to be called an entourage? Cant a man have friends without it being trouble..... We are not close to the situation, nor do we know who his friends are. Lets not pass judgement, its been 1 week in Kingston. We should still all be shouting from the rooftops over this pick up. DEEEEEEP breaths people, enjoy the ride.

I predict this thread will be 90 pages before Iverson scores his first point for URI. :D :D
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I never gotten the entourage thing with certain athletes and entertainers.
OT, but Donna Summer was doing a duet recording with Barbara Streisand.
Summer walked into the studio with a huge entourage, which was not
welcomed in the studio, and Streisand walked in with herself.
Ron Artest, in his rookie year in the NBA took his butt smoochers on the road with him.
Plus his own barber, masseuse, and whatever. He went through his entire 1 million dollar
salary supporting this crew.
There is a small village living off Lamar Odom.
These "entourage" types are just sucking off the success of one athlete
or entertainer.
No good comes of it.
0 x