2013 NY SG - Jon Severe (Iona Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: 2013 NY SG - Jon Severe (Offer)

Unread post by TruePoint »

You can only make an assessment based on the information you have at hand. Based on what I know, that is my assessment. Like I said, I could be wrong. I'm not condemning the kid, I'm just making an observation from 10,000 feet.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:You can only make an assessment based on the information you have at hand. Based on what I know, that is my assessment. Like I said, I could be wrong. I'm not condemning the kid, I'm just making an observation from 10,000 feet.
Severe is doing nothing wrong and is operating within the recruiting system. He could just as likely be a confused high school kid trying to work through a major decision, with no shortage of adults, some with no direct knowledge of the situation, throwing in their two cents. We have no idea what's motivating his thinking, so why try to connect the dots? It seems especially strange coming from you, as someone who is so quick to defend URI players as young men who are just trying to operate within the system of college basketball.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

BFC wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I don't think anyone is saying he is a bad person, just that he seems to have a prima donna-ish attitude and appears to enjoy playing the recruiting game a little too much for our tastes. Also, he doesn't seen to be grounded and honest with himself about his ability and appears borderline obsessed with going to a school that will validate his ego rather than the school that will be the best fit for him. Maybe I will be proved wrong about that, but that is my opinion at this stage. Again, I'm not saying he is a bad person, just that I'm glad we aren't in play for him.
So he's a "head case", not a team guy, not grounded, "borderline obsessed", and seems to have a "prima donna-ish attitude". I wouldn't feel qualified to make these kind of assessments about most people I've actually met. You guys are impressive, do me next.
I actually am qualified to do such things and think this talk is a bit much.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
TruePoint wrote:You can only make an assessment based on the information you have at hand. Based on what I know, that is my assessment. Like I said, I could be wrong. I'm not condemning the kid, I'm just making an observation from 10,000 feet.
Severe is doing nothing wrong and is operating within the recruiting system. He could just as likely be a confused high school kid trying to work through a major decision, with no shortage of adults, some with no direct knowledge of the situation, throwing in their two cents. We have no idea what's motivating his thinking, so why try to connect the dots? It seems especially strange coming from you, as someone who is so quick to defend URI players as young men who are just trying to operate within the system of college basketball.
The first thing that I said about all of this is that I hate being critical of these kids. I've also said repeatedly that I am not saying he is a bad kid. What I did say is that I see some red flags in terms of maturity (and I didn't use that word and maybe it would have been more appropriate than the words I did use). The real concern for me is that his lack of maturity could lead to him making a suboptimal choice for himself at the end of this process. I'll be the first to acknowledge that kids can mature rapidly at this age and it is certainly possible that he makes a decision and it works out for everyone involved. My experience with following football recruiting over many cycles (which I follow much more closely than basketball recruiting) is that the kids who struggle to make a final decision and/or make the process about maximizing their "shine" in the recruiting scene tend to be more likely to transfer because they aren't the star or fail to keep up their end of the bargain in the classroom. It's all anecdotal, obviously, but that is my impression. The kids who demonstrate poise, maturity and humility throughout the process seem to adjust better at the next level. (All of this assumes that talent is equal; an arrogant 5-star kid is still more likely to succeed than a humble 2-star kid.)
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

With all the pressure these kids get to sign, I think making the choice to do it when you're ready is a pretty mature decision. I don't know about football, but there's plenty of kids in basketball who commit early and have to back out or ask for their release, or honor their commitment and then have to transfer because the coach that recruited them is no longer there (see Biruta), or they've been recruited over. I understand the downside of waiting too long and I'm sure many of the players that wait do too but to pick out one kid and say it makes him a head case, a prima donna, or having an obsession, doesn't make sense to me.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. It's a case by case thing. I don't see how I can explain myself further without saying anything else negative about a kid and I don't want to do that.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Shouldn't we think about closing this topic if he isn't even considering us
We typically keep these threads open, unless the conversation balloons out of control, just because people get curious about where various guys end up attending.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Severe will be announcing next Wednesday (4/24).
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

SGreenwell wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:Shouldn't we think about closing this topic if he isn't even considering us
We typically keep these threads open, unless the conversation balloons out of control, just because people get curious about where various guys end up attending.
I understand , thanks
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

ace wrote:Severe will be announcing next Wednesday (4/24).
I will clear my calendar and plant myself in front of my computer, tv, radio, cell phone, short wave radio. Can't wait to see where he'll take his talents.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Fordham can't be happy about that development.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I'm not sure why there's so much ill will directed towards Severe by some here, but I am anxious to see where he ends up. I though this was a nice article about him. He started his senior year as a 1 star recruit, who was still fighting for playing time, and ends it as Mr. Basketball. That's impressive. He stayed at CTK when others left, and I hope his college choice works out for him.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_sch ... 7C6MRagJ/0
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Fordham it is. Good for them (and him and the A10)- I want Rhody to beat them by 30 next year, of course, but I like that they got a very good, local player.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

nice get for Fordham
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: 2013 NY SG - Jon Severe (Fordham Verbal)

I don't have any ill will towards Severe, I just saw some things that concerned me with respect to how he went trough his recruiting process. In the end, his choice of Fordham likely means that some of my concerns were off the mark. I think Fordham is probably a great fit for him based on what he has said about what is important to him and his coach's evaluation. I'm also happy for Fordham, because it would be nice if they could at least be competitive.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

He went with the immediate playing time. He could've went to a much better program. Hope it works out for him and Fordham.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I defended him when he was just a high school kid trying to make an important decision but now that he's a member of an annual opponent, he seems like a real jerk.
0 x
ramswin
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ramswin »

I hope he leads Fordham to three consecutive Patriot League Championships by the time he is a Senior. Where do I sign up for that?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I would sign up for that also, Patriot dynasty.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramswin
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ramswin »

Three-peat Three-peat !!!!!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: 2013 NY SG - Jon Severe (Fordham)

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

The next Charlie Yelverton??? Kenny Charles???? (You know whom's brother????)
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Just tweeted transferring from Bronx Rams......

0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

What a piece of work.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Yep will be curious to see where Severe lands....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If he's smart, he'll take the Jarelle path and go somewhere where he can run, gun, and shoot and not have to worry about defense... maybe Iona?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yeah, that would be a great fit for him, slide right into the AJ English role.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Iona yep good call
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Will visit Iona. Would be a great fit for him.
0 x
Go Rhody
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Jeff Borzello
Fordham transfer Jon Severe is heading to Iona, source told ESPN. Immediately eligible.
3 h
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

He'll fit right in there.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2013 NY SG - Jon Severe (Iona Transfer)

Unread post by bigappleram »

his very own 30 for 30...a perfect match
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

You mean 30 points on 30 shot attempts?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I've never understood why we pile on this kid so much.

Has he ever done anything or said anything about our team?
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good decision by Jon Severe. He was not likely to see a lot of Playing time this year anyway and a change of scenery often helps a player.
Great job by Jon academically to make this move possible. He will graduate in 3 years. Wish my kids and I had done that. He leverages the transfer rules such that he can be eligible to play immediately. So he does not have to sit out a year, cost the school he is transferring to an additional year. Iona only has to pay for one year, not two. He does not have to sit out and watch for a year - gets to go right onto the court because he worked hard and had the foresight to graduate in 3 years - congrats to that.

Fordham has doubled their A10 wins the last 2 years going from 2 wins, to 4 wins, to 8 wins under their new coach. Their PG just got A10 rookie of the year.
Iona gets in Severe a guy who can play immediately and has proven that he is an 80% FT shooter and a 35% 3FG shooter.
Pairing Severe with Deshonee Much at Iona makes for two dangerous guys on the wings. Much was recruited by Bobby Hurley but then transferred from Buffalo to Iona. Much was absolutely unconscious shooting the 3 ball last year at the Ryan Center.

Win - win for all. This is one example of the NCAA Transfer rule that makes sense. Entice a player to work hard in school so that he has an option like this. Makes him more attractive to other schools as well since he provides an option for immediate help with only a one year scholarship cost.

Best of luck to him.

To the stats for Fordham Record:
2015-2016 Total 17-14 (8-10)
2014-2015 Total 10-21 (4-14)
2013-2014 Total 10-21 (2-14)

For Severe stats:
2015-2016 MPG 17.4, FG% 44, 3FG% 36, FT% 73
2014-2015 MPG 18.9, FG% 34, 3FG% 24, FT% 81
2013-2014 MPG 32.9, FG% 33, 3FG% 34, FT% 79
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote:I've never understood why we pile on this kid so much.

I think he's been of special interest to Rhody fans because, IIRC, it came down to him and Mathews for a scholarship opportunity. I think Hurley chose Mathews after meeting with them both, but I'm not positive on that, because it's been a few years. Because of that though, people on here have been following his career for a couple years, and from a distance, it's been a kind of bizarre one. If he just started 32 games a year for Fordham for three years and put up 15 PPG, I doubt we'd be on Post X, but it's seemingly been a rocky road.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

SGreenwell wrote:

I think he's been of special interest to Rhody fans because, IIRC, it came down to him and Mathews for a scholarship opportunity. I think Hurley chose Mathews after meeting with them both, but I'm not positive on that, because it's been a few years. Because of that though, people on here have been following his career for a couple years, and from a distance, it's been a kind of bizarre one. If he just started 32 games a year for Fordham for three years and put up 15 PPG, I doubt we'd be on Post X, but it's seemingly been a rocky road.
EC announced his verbal commitment while Severe and Hassan Martin were at URI on an official visit. He continued to name us as one of his top schools after the visit but there was never anything definitive that Hurley and staff kept after him. Severe wound up waiting until the spring to decide. I've also never understood what the board has found particularly distasteful about Severe.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BFC wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:

EC announced his verbal commitment while Severe and Hassan Martin were at URI on an official visit. He continued to name us as one of his top schools after the visit but there was never anything definitive that Hurley and staff kept after him. Severe wound up waiting until the spring to decide. I've also never understood what the board has found particularly distasteful about Severe.
I have never understood the distaste for Severe but also not the distaste for Fordham period. Maybe Severe and Fordham just get pulled together like that.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ATPTourFan wrote:You mean 30 points on 30 shot attempts?
precisely ATP!
0 x