'17 PA PG - David Beatty (La Salle Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

'17 PA PG - David Beatty (La Salle Transfer)

Unread post by BFC »

David Beatty - PG
School: Imhotep
Travel/AAU: Philly Pride

Ht: 6'3"
Wt: 205

RANKINGS:
Rivals: 3 Stars, #149 in 2017
247 Sports: 4 Stars, 91 Grade, #104 in 2017, #6 CG
ESPN: 4 Stars, 81 Grade, #32 SG
HoopSeen: #96 in 2017

OFFERS:
South Carolina*
UConn
Florida
Florida State
Georgetown
Indiana
Kansas State
Maryland
Memphis
Miami
Penn State
Pitt
Seton Hall
Temple
Texas A&M
UCLA
Virginia
VCU
Xavier

INTEREST:
Rhode Island

*Verbally Committed 11/14/16
2017 Archbishop Carroll (PA) guard David Beatty recently visited Georgetown and will take a trip to UConn sometime in October. He holds a plethora of interest from Syracuse, Rhode Island, Maryland, Siena, Miami and James Madison, as well.
https://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1686468

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... atty-10888
https://247sports.com/Player/David-Beat ... ool-134794
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... vid-beatty
http://www.hoopseen.com/players/444
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/david-beatty
Last edited by BFC 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Re: '17 PA PG - David Beatty (South Carolina)

Unread post by RamIt! »

0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

He will be at Rhody next year. A tough former top 100 player that will fit into our new running style.
1 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rhodywins wrote:He will be at Rhody next year. A tough former top 100 player that will fit into our new running style.
Is that a prediction?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodywins wrote:He will be at Rhody next year. A tough former top 100 player that will fit into our new running style.

Even though he didn't score a point for them in their last 11 games (including 2 DNPs)?
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

Even though he didn't score a point for them in their last 11 games (including 2 DNPs)?
Change of scenery can go a long way sometimes...Stan wasn't that stellar of a player at Indiana.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Nice. Take him and Omar... call it a day

This is what happens when you have talented recruiters, with connections and a high degree of evaluation ability. Hence, the reason for the commotion on the other thread where Cox is trying to get a hold of other talented recruiters to fill out his staff.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Are we even involved? Anyway, here's his highlight tape. You might want to mute the accompanying song. It's really bad.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Thanks for the heads up re: the music.

He's definitely a Hurley Sr connection. Does he have to sit out a year for transferring? I would think Dan would be all over this at UConn, but if he has to sit, he could probably benefit us more: he'll be a terror in practice and really push these young guys and then the payoff comes in the second year when the players are already used to him.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

At IMHOTEP with Fatts
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think we will be involved.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

We are heavily involved via Fatts.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

That song is an all time classic.

Hit Em Up by Tupac.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:That song is an all time classic.

Hit Em Up by Tupac.
Yeah, but I'm a Zeppelin, Doors, Who kind of guy, not a Tupac kind of guy.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Oops, I thought I read somewhere that he played at St Anthony's at some point. Nvm. My mistake.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

His profile up top has his school listed as St. Benedicts in NJ. Not sure if perhaps he started out there but ended up in Philly at Imhotep or what, but he definitely played with Fatts at Imhotep in 2016-17.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote:

Hit Em Up by Tupac.
Which in turn is horrible music to me.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I don’t think we need Beatty and Omar. I’m taking Omar, can play immediately!
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I have to hand it to Cox. If he lands a couple of these players, the talent level on this team is going to be up there with the best it's been in recent memory.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:His profile up top has his school listed as St. Benedicts in NJ. Not sure if perhaps he started out there but ended up in Philly at Imhotep or what, but he definitely played with Fatts at Imhotep in 2016-17.

He's from Philly but spent a year at St Bendicts in Jersey before returning to play and graduate form IMHOTEP with Fatts. If you watch the video posted you can see Fatts quite a bit along side him.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:

Hit Em Up by Tupac.
You can be a both kind of guy. In fact, it is my strong belief that you should have an appreciation for both. Basically my whole music catalog late 60s/early 70s classic rock, 90s and early 2000s hip hop and mid-2000s to now indie rock. Diversity is key.
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

DC from purely a Steve and Don angst perspective, it's always nice to have a really talented non eligible guy on the rooster, so they have the excuse to say 4 times a broadcast how if you think this is good, we hear so-and-so is tearing it up in practice and we'll have him next year. It's like a Rhody tradition.
4 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

DC_Rams wrote:I don’t think we need Beatty and Omar. I’m taking Omar, can play immediately!
Why not take them both if you can get them. Beatty was a very highly rated recruit and would have to sit out a year with 3 years of eligibility left. Thompson will graduate and Dowtin will be a senior when he is ready, so Cox will likely be recruiting another guard next year .. With Beatty he will have one already who has year to get used to URI and system. Of course thats if Cox thinks they are both worthy and could use both. My guess is these 2 guys would both be very good gets
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I like Beatty's comment about Fatts years ago:

"I watched that man do amazing things all year,” Beatty said. “I guard that man in practice, fastest guy in the world. I'm used to seeing it. I expect nothing less than for him to go off every game, so he’s going to be great in Rhode Island, he’s going to be great in college and he's going to be a great player.”

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... ty#p321162
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:His profile up top has his school listed as St. Benedicts in NJ. Not sure if perhaps he started out there but ended up in Philly at Imhotep or what, but he definitely played with Fatts at Imhotep in 2016-17.
He played his Jr year at St. Benedicts and his Sr year at Imhotep. Only one each at both of those schools. He is from Philly. He didnt like living away from home (NJ) so came back to play at Imhotep. He played on a different AAU team than Fatts. Imhotep was ranked #5 in the coutry with Fatts and Beatty as the stars.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

agressive to the hoop for his height, follows through on shots (who even does that anymore!) I think he'd be a good fit... did see an article that mentioned coach at SC criticized him for his lack on D though. Not a bad holdover for when Dowtin/Thompson are Seniors about to move on, he'll be in a stacked sophomore class.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Beatty’s stats are unimpressive. Great HS player doesn’t seemed to have translated. I don’t think we need two guards, we need another 3-5 with that last scholly. I believe they will close the deal on Omar.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

giovanni wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:I don’t think we need Beatty and Omar. I’m taking Omar, can play immediately!
Why not take them both if you can get them. Beatty was a very highly rated recruit and would have to sit out a year with 3 years of eligibility left. Thompson will graduate and Dowtin will be a senior when he is ready, so Cox will likely be recruiting another guard next year .. With Beatty he will have one already who has year to get used to URI and system. Of course thats if Cox thinks they are both worthy and could use both. My guess is these 2 guys would both be very good gets
My bad, I keep thinking CT will be a senior this year, but he has 2 years of eligibility left. But still may be worth both.

IMHOTEP was Philly city champs their senior years also, by far best team in Philly area
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

idk, so many times I've seen on so many levels, transcending different sports even, where one guy doesn't work for one system, explodes in a completely different environment.

This kid, four star recruit, highly lauded by the South Carolina coach, then can't get off the bench. Sounds a lot like Hurley. My guess is Cox is going to be a much looser kind of coach, which sometimes allows players to be themselves more and you might get more out of the players and their natural abilities that way, because they aren't a square peg in a round hole kind of system.

Think the Seattle Seahawks here with Pete Carroll. I could be wrong and way off, but that's my best guess, you probably know a lot better than me.

Not to mention, this is the A-10, that's got to figure into his progression.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Langevine, Harris, Tate, Akele, hopefully Laysaard or Tertsea become at least serviceable also and Martin is 6-7 and certainly can play the 3. I hope there will be a bit of a log jam up front for a change. And trying to find any good players this time of year is not easy, especially a front court player. Cox obviously knows what he wants for a roster make up and what type of players he wants, so I will trust whatever he decides to do. At least 1 would be nice though.

Not sure I would judge any player on stats. He chose SC coming off a final 4 and also considered high level school in Indiana, Georgetown, Maryland and even considered URI even though only briefly. I would trust these types of schools evaluations over looking at someones stats.
Last edited by giovanni 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Anyone have any gametape of him playing for the Gamecocks?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Have Stan Robinson and Kuran Iverson talk to him about how it worked out for them. Very similar situations.
5 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This is from 5 months ago. He's #0. Looks the part. His passes are crisp, he hits that 3 pointer early in the practice vid. Sounds like he was in the coach's doghouse, to be honest. The coach was saying he was the highest rated player the Gamecocks recruited in several years, a year ago.

0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

We have 3 incoming freshman that are all 6'-6" and bigger. Tate looks the size of Langevine, Harris is a beast.. I think an additional quick small guard would round that out well. Remember we will have another 2 scholarships to fill out for '19.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Man, people said the same thing about Stan when we took him. I think we ended up needing him quite a bit,
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Good part of Imhotep game vs Monteverde (RJ Barrett). Imhotep breaks Monteverde’s 55 game home winning streak. Barrett with 16. Imhotep - Scott (Soph #24) 17, Fatts 12 & Beatty 10. Beatty wouldnt take an outside shot. Scott (6-7 SF) is a ‘19 ranked #141 by Rivals.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Beatty averaged 12 minutes/game (not bad as a Fr). He shot poorly - 25% FG and 19% from three. Avg 3 ppg.
Fatts avveraged 18 minutes/game. 35% FG and 30% from three. Avg 7 ppg.

Stan had a pretty good Fr year (45% FG, 6.4 ppg, 17 mins/game) and then struggled his Soph year before transferring
KI struggled his Fr year at Memphis.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

You have to believe Coach Cox saw a lot of Beatty while he was recruiting Fatts.....I will trust his judgement on the player.....either recruiting him or not based on our needs and his skill set....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote:
Man, people said the same thing about Stan when we took him. I think we ended up needing him quite a bit,
Again, it’s a hard pass for me. Get Omar and a big.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We originally had Amir Harris and Brendan Adams, both guards and people were ecstatic.

Now, we may be getting two new guards yet people don’t want two more....

Interesting.
4 x
Go Rhody
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

DC_Rams wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Again, it’s a hard pass for me. Get Omar and a big.
This has to be two guards, how many bigs can we have? We currently have 6 front court players and 7 really if Tate is going to play the undersized four spot. Let’s come back to reality and realize guards are needed.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

No thanks, save the extra scholly if we get Omar before taking two guards. Just my opinion.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Yes thanks, we need good ball skilled guards, there are plenty of minutes for two more impact front court players, Martin, Tate and Harris will spend most of their time at the 3, 4, and 5. It would be just perfect if we could get Beatty and Silverio, class of '21 would be pretty talented.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think getting Silverio and a grad transfer that can light it up from deep would be the way to go....right now at least.

Graduating 5 at a time can be a little challenging when it comes to replacing them all at once.

You want to balance out the classes as best you can imo.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I be cool with Omar and Beatty

Beatty can sit out a year then back up JD for a year
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Beatty would probably be heavily involved in the 2019 rotation and probably starting 20' and 21'.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
bacarlson21
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by bacarlson21 »

I'll be shocked if Beatty doesn't end up at LaSalle.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Not currently involved from what I’ve been told...
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NRF, heard the same....and I’m glad.
1 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Corey Evans tweeted earlier this morning that URI, Temple, LaSalle, Seton Hall, GWU, VCU, ECU and South Alabama are among the schools involved with David Beatty.
0 x