'16 IL G - Devin Gage (DePaul ---> Fresno State)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

'16 IL G - Devin Gage (DePaul ---> Fresno State)

Unread post by BFC »

Devin Gage - PG
School: Curie
Travel/AAU: Team Rose

Ht: 6'2"
Wt: 175

RANKINGS:
Rivals: 3 Stars
Scout: 3 Stars
Future 150: 3 Stars, 87 Grade, #126 in 2016, #36 PG

OFFERS:
Rhode Island
Bradley
DePaul
Hampton
UIC

INTEREST:
Illinois
IUPUI

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... NNRTMzOV8x
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/baske ... devin-gage
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p= ... id=7846202
http://verbalcommits.com/players/devin-gage
http://future150.com/hs/basketball-prof ... ge-pg-2016
Last edited by BFC 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: '16 IL PG - Devin Gage (Offer)

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Scott Phillips‏@phillipshoops·Sep 22
Rhode Island offered Curie 2016 guard Devin Gage, per Jerrel Oliver. Gage has had a lot of coaches come through open gym in recent weeks.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '16 IL PG - Devin Gage (Offer)

Unread post by RoadyJay »

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: '16 IL PG - Devin Gage (DePaul)

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Transferring, and Rhody is back in the mix.

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago Transferring, and Rhody is back in the mix.

Interesting choice of schools there.

I can respect that. Three completely different places, three completely different experiences. Two of them are in paradise...
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

I can respect that. Three completely different places, three completely different experiences. Two of them are in paradise...
Hey, Hawaii is pretty nice too. [sarcasm font]

I like that Rhody was mentioned first... probably not an accident.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

Hey, Hawaii is pretty nice too. [sarcasm font]

I like that Rhody was mentioned first... probably not an accident.
He definitely knows he'd be playing for a better program (even though we lost to Hawaii)

Star at those programs, play in bigger games here.

But do we want him? Or would we rather throw in our freshman a bit more next year?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '16 IL G - Devin Gage (DePaul Transfer)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Averaged 6 points a game for his college career and shot 28% from 3.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

i'll pass
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Averaged 6 points a game for his college career and shot 28% from 3.
Shot 46% from three in the 12 games he played this season.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Tons of transfers/recruits, something has to bite sooner or later.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Averaged 6 points a game for his college career and shot 28% from 3.
He only took 13 of them...6-13.
2 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
DevRam wrote: 4 years ago
He only took 13 of them...6-13.
I agree, small sample size however I would still expect that number to be somewhere around 35%. If we don’t land Berry this would be a fall back. But I would rather have Leggett get those minutes anyways.
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Re: '16 IL G - Devin Gage (DePaul - Transfer)

Unread post by Joe95 »

I would definitely take a waiver on this kid can never have too many experienced ball handlers. Look at some his game logs from his junior season, he had some nice showings. Look at some of the kids who didn't accomplish much in our system but had success elsewhere like Jerelle Reischel or Mathew Butler, who's to say this kid couldn't have an uptick in production with a change of scenery.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

His last game was jan 25th with 2 minutes of playing time - guessing he got hurt again. He spent 4 years at DePaul.
Why would you want someone that hasn’t delivered on the worst team in the Big East.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

A short-term commitment that improves depth and guards against Sheppard not sticking around.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Or is this an indication that it's not going as well as we thought with Tres Berry?
0 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

We’ve definitely offered the kid. We will see.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago I would definitely take a waiver on this kid can never have too many experienced ball handlers. Look at some his game logs from his junior season, he had some nice showings. Look at some of the kids who didn't accomplish much in our system but had success elsewhere like Jerelle Reischel or Mathew Butler, who's to say this kid couldn't have an uptick in production with a change of scenery.
Both of those guys went to lower conferences. I imagine Fatts could put up some even more eye-popping numbers if he made that downgrade in competition, too. Gage might get a small bump, going to the Atlantic 10, but as plenty of posters here would argue, I think the A-10 is way closer to the Big East in quality than like, Middle Tennessee State. Gage's stat line doesn't make me super excited about him, but we have so many open scholarships right now that I wouldn't mind just getting someone with high-level NCAA experience in here, because we can't take like 5 freshmen.
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

The A10 is a step down from the Big East. I'm not saying it's a guarantee that he stats get better but you never know how a change of scenery can affect a guys confidence. This kid definitely has talent.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s a pass for me
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Look at what Christion Thompson did this year at Tulane. Years of college basketball experience is always very valuable.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Well has anybody actually watched him play?

Hey PeeCee people, can you shed light on this guy?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Well has anybody actually watched him play?

I'm sure they'll say that if he's considering coming here, he sucks.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Well has anybody actually watched him play?

I'm sure they'll say that if he's considering coming here, he sucks.
They will want to Pee on our parade.
2 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Very solid player would definitely be a nice addition. Think he was the starting point guard till this year when they got Charlie Moore the Kansas transfer. Probably the reason for the transfer.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Well look at that!

No pee on this parade!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

IMO it would be great to have a strong, veteran, pass-first PG who can pull up to shoot and play off of Fatts/Sheppard next year - similar to Jarvis Garrett's role later in his career. Can help teach Legget and Wood the ropes as well. Lack of guard play is something we need to avoid this year - almost as much as we need a big interior presence.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

thatRamBand wrote: 4 years ago IMO it would be great to have a strong, veteran, pass-first PG who can pull up to shoot and play off of Fatts/Sheppard next year - similar to Jarvis Garrett's role later in his career. Can help teach Legget and Wood the ropes as well. Lack of guard play is something we need to avoid this year - almost as much as we need a big interior presence.
I would rather have Leggett on the floor. Like Jeff Dowtin his Fr when he replaced Garrett.
They may also have Trey Berry.

Three scholarships open - 2 big and 1 G. I would rather have the G be a shooting G like Berry.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we get Berry along with having Leggett, I think our shooting issues could become a thing of the past. Especially if Sheppard plays.

Add a big or two that can finish....we could be a lot better sooner rather than later.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago If we get Berry along with having Leggett, I think our shooting issues could become a thing of the past. Especially if Sheppard plays.

Add a big or two that can finish....we could be a lot better sooner rather than later.
I think that will all happen.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I like what Gage adds. Veteran experience.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ok let’s trust the staff on this one if they want Gage I am all in
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I like what Gage adds. Veteran experience.
Does tha staff want

The twins and this guy the most?

Or the twins and Berry the most?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

When I watched DePaul play PC and of course I was rooting hard for DePaul I know I was not very impressed with Gage. I remember feeling like he was contributing to the loss. It’s just one game but I was not overly impressed.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago When I watched DePaul play PC and of course I was rooting hard for DePaul I know I was not very impressed with Gage. I remember feeling like he was contributing to the loss. It’s just one game but I was not overly impressed.
How many games could you say that about Fatts?

But, we love him the same.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago When I watched DePaul play PC and of course I was rooting hard for DePaul I know I was not very impressed with Gage. I remember feeling like he was contributing to the loss. It’s just one game but I was not overly impressed.

DC_Rams,
I’m just sharing my opinion on one game. I admitted that it was only 1 game. Do you think I’m so stupid as to not realize one game is not enough to form an in depth opinion on? Am I just not allowed to comment unless it’s more than a specified number of games?

It seems like you just never want a negative word to be said about any URI Coach, the URI Head Coach, any URI Player, or any URI Signed Recruit or any URI prospective recruit.

Everyone on this board is not just a fan, but a fanatical fan of URI. For as far back as I can remember posters said what they thought. The good, the great, the bad, the right, the wrong, the ugly. There are 1 or 2 posters from time to time I might question their URI loyalty, they are trouble makers, trolls, pot stirrers. They come and go.

But it seems you want everything sterile. Nothing negative.

I can see the benefits of your approach. Players, their family and friends can and sometimes do visit here. That part makes sense to me.

I’ve seen a Leggett and Wood play “live” probably more than anyone here, possibly 1 or 2 exceptions. But I feel compelled to only say good things about incoming recruits or nothing at all as opposed to what I really think. Maybe that’s the way it should be. I said what I thought prior to the verbals, but after the verbals I have said little but positives or facts from the games/box scores.

I think it’s ok to say the good and not so good within reason. The Jermaine Harris criticism is like nothing I’ve ever seen on this board. Surprised it was allowed to that extent, surprised you didn’t defend Harris more.

If we keep 99% of comments to only good comments I’m concerned the board becomes disinteresting and fritters away.

Maybe best to just PM recruit observation requests from posters vs putting out there on the board. I’m not sure.

I get your protection mode, but also think you lost some credibility when you just about disappeared when the going got tough with the losses to Dayton twice, Davidson, Saint a Louis and almost losses to Fordham and UMASS.

Welcome your thoughts.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

DC_Rams,
I’m just sharing my opinion on one game. I admitted that it was only 1 game. Do you think I’m so stupid as to not realize one game is not enough to form an in depth opinion on? Am I just not allowed to comment unless it’s more than a specified number of games?

It seems like you just never want a negative word to be said about any URI Coach, the URI Head Coach, any URI Player, or any URI Signed Recruit or any URI prospective recruit.

Everyone on this board is not just a fan, but a fanatical fan of URI. For as far back as I can remember posters said what they thought. The good, the great, the bad, the right, the wrong, the ugly. There are 1 or 2 posters from time to time I might question their URI loyalty, they are trouble makers, trolls, pot stirrers. They come and go.

I can see the benefits of your approach. Players, their family and friends can and sometimes do visit here. That part makes sense to me.

I’ve seen a Leggett and Wood play “live” probably more than anyone here, possibly 1 or 2 exceptions. But I feel compelled to only say good things about incoming recruits or nothing at all as opposed to what I really think. Maybe that’s the way it should be. I said what I thought prior to the verbals, but after the verbals I have said little but positives or facts from the games/box scores.

I think it’s ok to say the good and not so good within reason. The Jermaine Harris criticism is like nothing I’ve ever seen on this board. Surprised it was allowed to that extent, surprised you didn’t defend Harris more.

If we keep 99% of comments to only good comments I’m concerned the board becomes disinteresting and fritters away.

Maybe best to just PM recruit observation requests from posters vs putting out there on the board. I’m not sure.

I get your protection mode, but also think you lost some credibility when you just about disappeared when the going got tough with the losses to Dayton twice, Davidson, Saint a Louis and almost losses to Fordham and UMASS.

Welcome your thoughts.
I was defending Gage. Not the staff. I think he can play based on a body of work. Based on his age. Based on his experience.

That’s all, that’s it.

I didn’t read the rest.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

DC_Rams,

Welcome your thoughts.
I was defending Gage. Not the staff. I think he can play based on a body of work. Based on his age. Based on his experience.

That’s all, that’s it.

I didn’t read the rest.
So why did you disappear when the going got tough?
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

#20 on Goodman's list, although he only lists Pacific, Oregon State, Cal, Minnesota as schools interested. It's obviously more than that.

0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I hope we get Tres Berry, Odusipe, Ousmame, the Mitchell Twins or many other players over Gage. I just don’t see the fit here. If we land Tres Berry and have both him and Leggett why would we want to take away their minutes with a player that can’t shoot from the outside and has one year of eligibility left with a injury history. He did very little on the perennial last place team in the Big East. I would rather lose a few more games, as to me this is a transition year, and get Leggett and Tres Berry on the court for more experience. These players are the future for URI. I don’t see Gage coming here to play 8 minutes off the bench behind Fatts as a backup point guard. We already are challenged in terms of shooting and this will not help. I’m all in for transfers, but this isn’t the guy we want.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago I hope we get Tres Berry, Odusipe, Ousmame, the Mitchell Twins or many other players over Gage. I just don’t see the fit here. If we land Tres Berry and have both him and Leggett why would we want to take away their minutes with a player that can’t shoot from the outside and has one year of eligibility left with a injury history. He did very little on the perennial last place team in the Big East. I would rather lose a few more games, as to me this is a transition year, and get Leggett and Tres Berry on the court for more experience. These players are the future for URI. I don’t see Gage coming here to play 8 minutes off the bench behind Fatts as a backup point guard. We already are challenged in terms of shooting and this will not help. I’m all in for transfers, but this isn’t the guy we want.
I agree. He is 24 percent all time from three and injury prone. I dont think it would be the worst thing, but I expect Fatts and Sheppard to take the brunt of the work at guard. Tres and Ish have proven they can shoot. I'd rather have them come in, make threes for us and gain experience for next year above a one and done poor man's version of Fatts and Shep.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I doubt this is transition year in the mind of coach Cox...

Heck most of y’all got him on the hot seat with 21 wins!
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree with this also I think we can get better players out of the grad transfer portal than Gage
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

I see both sides pretty fairly on this one. Could Gage come in and play a Jarvis Garrett type role while also continuing to improve in the right direction with his 3 point shot?

What does that mean for the younger guys?

Will it take away from a lot of there on court experience, yes. But they will also get the leadership of a veteran guard to lean on in addition to Fatts\Sheppard to practice with and learn from. We haven’t landed Berry yet so I would say if that doesn’t happen than I would be all in on Gage.

Also anybody else remember the last time we had a mirage of guards? Dowtin, Terrell, EC, Garrett, Stan! Worked before, just saying.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Don’t underestimate experienced depth. It’s what kept URI out of the tournament 2 years in a row.
0 x