'15 CAN PG Jalen Poyser (St. Bonaventure Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: '15 CAN PG Jalen Poyser

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:When did Garrett get a four star rating?
This obsession with ratings is by people who don't get,
as Bob Knight said, most of those doing these rating have never even seen most of these
kids.
Doug McDermott and Bryce Cotton were unranked and almost unrecruited,
Tyson Wheeler wasn't highy rated, nor was Ryan Gomes.
Ratings are nice to talk about, but I could fill this space with people who were can't
misses, who you never heard of because they missed.
huh? I never said Garrett got a 4 star rating - I said we have two players on the team that were rated 4 stars: EC Mathews and Jared Terrell.
Jarvis Garrett was ranked 224 by 24/7....and 3 star......Jared Terrell was ranked #44 and was a 4 star.

Sure there are exceptions to the top ranked kids, every year, no doubt about it.
But EC Mathews and Jared Terrell are thoroughbreds - these kids are rated 4 stars for a reason - one could even argue that EC would be a 5 star based on how is is playing now - NBA first round material.
Poyser is a rising talent and could end up being on the level of these two guys making for a very strong 3 guard line up.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

You were babbling about having an all four star backcourt.
Garrett is going to be the starting PG and a star before all is said and done.
I couldn't care less what he was rated. Thoroughbreds are horses, not basketball
players.
Guess in your mind, Garrett is dog shit, because he wasn't a four star.
Give me a break!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:You were babbling about having an all four star backcourt.
Garrett is going to be the starting PG and a star before all is said and done.
I couldn't care less what he was rated. Thoroughbreds are horses, not basketball
players.
Guess in your mind, Garrett is dog shit, because he wasn't a four star.
Give me a break!
Nope, not true about Garrett. My point is simply that we have two 4 star players. That does not make everyone else in my mind dog crap. I don't do the ratings but I will say that EC and Terrell are very high potential players.
Poyser would make it 3 four star players in the back court and I would take that - call that babbling, whatever.
Basically I am saying I take Poyser, the kid is very talented and I agree with others here who say we should be taking a highly rated guard every year.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Poyser retweeted this:
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

'He's from a good high school program, but why only two offers?
Only a 2 star. Seems we're sliding down on the ladder from
Terrell and Cooke.'

Seems like you were the one talking about ratings here, Rod. This is from the Dupree McBrayer thread. He committed to Minnesota and will play in the Big Ten. But he's 'only a 2 star' -- your words, not mine.
You like the ratings when they support your argument. You dismiss them when they do not. In that regard at least, you're consistent.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I like how you come on only to bust balls.
Go back and read Ramster's post about 4 stars.
You had to really dig for those quotes, troll.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

People use star rankings the wrong way. Use them as likelihoods instead of absolutes. Use them to add context and discussion to offer lists and tape. And, most importantly, use them to evaluate the entire roster. A roster of 13 5 stars is more likely to be good than a roster of 13 2 stars. A class of five 4 stars will probably be better than a class of five two stars. As you add sample size to these things, the exceptions smooth out. But, you can absolutely have two star studs and five star busts. We have seen it a million times. The other thing is I don't see EC as an NBA guy. I see him being a great (not very good) college player who plays four years and does some pretty special stuff. I just don't see an NBA skill set yet. Go look at first team all conference lists from every major conference over the past ten years. They are littered with 6'4" combo type guards who were great in college but didn't have an NBA. That's my best guess about EC. I think Hassan has a much better shot at the league.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

This is something I had posted on the Friar board last month:

"These are the average stats for the last group of 4 year players, from 2010-2014:

Players ranked 1-10: 14.0 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.2 apg, .5 bpg
Key Players: Kyrie Irving, Jared Sullinger, Harrison Barnes

Players ranked 41-50: 9.8 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2 apg, .7 bpg
Key Players: James Bell, Gorgui Dieng, Terrance Ross

Players ranked 91-100: 8.8 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.8 apg, .5 bpg
Key Players: Carson Desroisiers, Joseph Young, C.J. Fair, Shabazz Napier

Players ranked 141-150: 8.7 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 1.4 apg, .2 bpg
Key Players: Victor Oladipo, Will Sheehey, Brandon Young"

While it shows on average that you are better off with a higher ranked player than a lower ranked one, there are certainly players who come out of no where and impress. Put a kid in the right system with the right coach and he can still become a star regardless of ranking, just the likelihood of that occuring decreases.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Interesting, superfly.
One point an one rebound difference from
41-50 and 141-150 is insignificant.
So, unless it's 1-10, (what happened to 11-40?) it really doesn't seem critical as to ratings,
41-150.
This is something Dan has repeatedly said. Once you get past the top level,
the ratings don't mean as much.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Well for those that want an under the radar guy, Poyser's your man (no profile on ESPN or Future 150, ranked outside the Top 200 on 247). And for those that want a highly ranked guy, Poyser's your man (4 Stars and Top 100 on both Rivals and Scout).
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

BFC wrote:Well for those that want an under the radar guy, Poyser's your man (no profile on ESPN or Future 150, ranked outside the Top 200 on 247). And for those that want a highly ranked guy, Poyser's your man (4 Stars and Top 100 on both Rivals and Scout).
+1
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Poyser seems to be all over the board. He was very highly rated as a young player coming into high school. He seemed to have slacked off for a couple of years, thinking his talent alone would get him by. So, his rankings dropped. He finally realizes this and now knows he has to work his butt off if wants to get where he wants to go. He did that and is now probably the highest ranked '15 from Canada.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bottom line is that Dan has visited and watched him play. Dan wants him which is good enough for me, I am trusting more and more he and his staff's evaluation proficiency of talent.
We are recruiting the highest level players since the Jim Harrick days and we are getting on them early in the recruiting cycle - not in April and May of their graduating year as in the 12 year gap after Harrick.
Dan is getting in on Poyser early, before he gets too much publicity, he is a 4 star just recently, and had some very successful camps and tournaments this summer.
Shoots the 3 pointer and FTs effectively. Good performance in the highly competitive EYBL Championships in July.
I hope we lock him in this month.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Exactly, Ramster.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Let's get him! Hope he has a great visit!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Beautiful day in Kingston/Wakefield/Narragansett. Just gorgeous!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

My thoughts, exactly, ATP.
We seem to do better with recruits, when
the sun is shining in Kingston.
Hope he enjoys his visit.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Beautiful day, let's hope it's warm on campus to help the scenery out
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

 Retweeted by Jalen Poyser

Adam Zagoria @AdamZagoria · 15h

UNLV offered 2015 Cia Bounce PG @DaRealJayP tonight during a home visit w/ asst Todd Simon. Official visit TBD, per his dad
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

Wonder how the visit is going? THANK GOODNESS the football team is not in town.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

A few hours ago his Dad tweeted a pic of Jalen working out with the team. Jalen also re-tweeted it. If I knew how to post it here I would.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

here you go jake

0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
reckless jake
ARD

Thanks! I guess I should learn how
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

when you see a tweet, right click on the date (or how long ago the tweet was) and select copy link address, then just paste it in the message
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

There seems to be a connection with Jalen's dad and Cordell Llewellyn. Every little bit helps.
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

“The visit was very good,” Mark Poyser, the player’s father, told SNY.tv. “We enjoyed it immensely. Coach [Luke] Murray and [Dan] Hurley and staff gave us their ‘A game in terms of hosting us. Lots of fantastic information to process. Rhode Island is top class.”

One thing Dan said to me was that if we get a kid who's parents are involved, and want to see their child succeed, we'll get him.

I'd like to think we've got a very good chance with Poyser.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Tie to Cordell:

Cordell Llewellyn, a former guard for the Canadian national team, knows the dangers of youth basketball. “I’ve gone through it, so I know it’s corrupt. I know the politics,” he says. His son Jaelin is a promising 14-year-old point guard with CIA Bounce, a smart player and a quiet kid who constantly has a ball in his hands, spinning it on his finger, gripping the leather with his big right hand. By the time Jaelin was 13, local basketball websites were already hyping his talent and projecting a future college career for him, an absurd, unreasonable amount of pressure for a middle-schooler.
Llewellyn says that, compared to his day, the training and exposure his son is getting is extraordinary. He has faith in CIA Bounce, but he’s wary of the youth system, in which self-interested adults promise talented kids the moon, then drop them as soon as it’s no longer convenient. “Everybody’s going to tell you that you’re the greatest thing in the world,” he says. “[But] as soon as you have an injury or anything like that, you’re not on board.”

http://www.thegridto.com/city/sports/we-got-game/
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man wrote:“The visit was very good,” Mark Poyser, the player’s father, told SNY.tv. “We enjoyed it immensely. Coach [Luke] Murray and [Dan] Hurley and staff gave us their ‘A game in terms of hosting us. Lots of fantastic information to process. Rhode Island is top class.”

One thing Dan said to me was that if we get a kid who's parents are involved, and want to see their child succeed, we'll get him.

Depends a little on what the parent wants and what his values are, but I agree that in general an involved parent is better for us than a kid being steered by a coach or an "uncle."
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:“The visit was very good,” Mark Poyser, the player’s father, told SNY.tv. “We enjoyed it immensely. Coach [Luke] Murray and [Dan] Hurley and staff gave us their ‘A game in terms of hosting us. Lots of fantastic information to process. Rhode Island is top class.”
Good to know BlueMan that Dan told you that. Poyser seems like the perfect example of parent involvement.
It would be amazing if we got both Silva and Poyser!!

24/7 latest for what it's worth:
Poyser 1 California
Silva 5 Seton Hall, 1 URI, 1 South Carolina, 1 Villanova
Aflakpui 8 Temple
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Great find on the cbs article. I love what this coaching staff is doing. Keep it up and we'll continue to lock in talented players.
0 x
Sipowicz
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Sipowicz »

According to NorthPoleHoops, Jalen will be "unofficially" visiting St. Bonaventure this weekend.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Recruits have said nice things about the Ryan Center before but it's great to hear 'incredible facilities.' Changes are paying off
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Any idea when Jalen is going to make a decision?
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

According to several sources he was on an unofficial recruiting visit to St Bonaventure this past weekend.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Poyser generating more attention

Jalen Poyser is gathering offers and will likely not decide until spring.
Rivals.com will have a more in-depth story on the status of four-star point guard Jalen Poyser later this week, but things have definitely been picking up for him.

A 6-foot-2 point guard at the Athlete's Institute in Canada, Poyser finished out the summer strong with terrific outings at both Adidas Nations and the Nike global challenge. It appears that programs are starting to take notice.

Poyser told Rivals.com that he now holds offers from VCU, California, Rhode Island, Oklahoma, Creighton, St. Mary's and UNLV. Additional interest has come in from the likes of Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State and Wake Forest.

He has seen URI and he has a trip planned to see Oklahoma for the weekend of Oct. 3. The No. 83 player in 2015, he is a scorer off the dribble and could end up waiting until the spring to decide.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... ID=1684229
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"I talked to Coach (Danny) Hurley a lot, and he wants me to come there, and if that I were to commit I would have a chance to start right away and earn major minutes. "
I find this a bit puzzling, in light of our backcourt personnel.
0 x
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

rodfromcranston wrote:"I talked to Coach (Danny) Hurley a lot, and he wants me to come there, and if that I were to commit I would have a chance to start right away and earn major minutes. "
I find this a bit puzzling, in light of our backcourt personnel.
I'd imagine he'd give Jarvis a run for his money. Can't wait to see what Jarvis has to offer but if Jalen is anywhere close to as advertised the. I could see him making an impact from day 1
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

All it says is he would have a "chance" to compete for a starting job, that doesn't seem so puzzling to me. I have been told this kid is a major talent, even if Jarvis is as good as advertised, this kid is going to have a chance to play from Day 1.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I AM puzzled. So what? You're not. Good for you.
Have you seen Garrett play? You "heard" about this other guy.
Funny how everyone was so releaved when Garrett verballed,
and now, so many seem dismissive of him, sight unseen.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rodfromcranston wrote:I AM puzzled. So what? You're not. Good for you.
Have you seen Garrett play? You "heard" about this other guy.
Funny how everyone was so releaved when Garrett verballed,
and now, so many seem dismissive of him, sight unseen.
Right now, they're both somewhat unseen, since neither has played a college game. As a result, it's not surprising to me that some might figure that Poyser will get Garrett's minutes, since he was a higher rated prospect.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Don't count me in the dismissive category. I think JG will make a significant contribution this year.

I don't think this has anything to do with JG vs Poyser anyway.

I think you recruit the best players you can. If the staff thinks he is a stud then go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Let me tell you. If I know anything about basketball, I can say
Jarvis garrett is everything this program has sought, since Tyson Wheeler graduated.
Great court awareness, good shooter, good free throw shooter, good ball handler and passer.
Makes sound very mature decisions.
We had this discussion earlier in the month. Everyone is basing things on "OMG! This guy is a four star, and
Garrett is only a three."
If Poyser waits until spring to decide, Dan may not be able to offer anyone a chance to start from day one.
That's how good I believe Garrett is.
We shall see, won't we?
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I would love for you to be right Rod. Throw some numbers at us. Stats for JG this season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x