'15 CAN PG Jalen Poyser (St. Bonaventure Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '15 CAN PG Jalen Poyser

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And if we play a lot of 3 guard lineups like we think they will, there are plenty of minutes to go around for 4 good guards.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

'15 CAN PG Jalen Poyser

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Heck, who said we won't go 4 guards at times.

I was at the Brayden Carr clinic and Jay Wright was taking about playing 4 guards. Very interesting how they make this work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote: That's how good I believe Garrett is.
We shall see, won't we?
Wheeler averaged 13 pts and 5 assists per game as a Frosh. Is that your expectation for JG this year?

0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I'm not thinking about numbers. Wheeler came onto a barren team,
and was able to dominate from day one.
Garrrett comes in under very different cirtcumstances.
I don't expect Garrett to come close to those numbers, just provide
excitinment in the open court, and floor generalship..
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote: I don't expect Garrett to come close to those numbers, just provide
excitinment in the open court, and floor generalship..
That I agree with.

Now back to Poyser... Excuse the interruption.

0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Looks like Poyser's former head coach at Findlay Prep is killing it on the recruiting trail now that he is an assistant at UNLV

Could prove very tough to keep Poyser from going to UNLV.

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

As for Garrett, he has a unique skill set on this 14-15 team, and I don't think anyone can argue that.

With recruits, there's always what was said and what was heard. Based on what he's done and what the programs under him have done, Hurley can truthfully say that this program will play and develop young players. His system is guard-heavy. Put that together, and recruits who are guards can be told that they will have opportunities to play and to play early and a lot. Nothing's promised, but the record is there. A guy like Poyser can hear that and see himself stepping in like EC or like Jared, with or without considering the entire make-up of the team. I want recruits like that. I want them coming in thinking they have the ability to start and compete with the best of their teammates, with the understanding that if that doesn't happen right away, they don't pout and do continue to work hard.

UNLV just got another Findlay Prep guy in '16 Justin Jackson. It didn't work out at Findlay Prep for Poyser, but his relationship with Simon is still tight. It's possible a spring announcement for Poyser could work out better for Rhode Island. If they actually really want that third spot to go to another big man, they'll know better if there's an additional spot open in the spring for a second guard. But as was mentioned above, if you want to see how multiple very good guards can play together, check out Villanova.

If I'm a Rhody fan, I take notice of the other things that Poyser said about the school and not just Hurley. Nearly every recruit they've gotten has named Hurley as their main reason for coming. It's nice to hear some credit given to the campus and facilities, regardless if this ends up happening or not.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rod, good programs continue to recruit talent regardless of what they have on their roster. That is how they become good programs, instead of just good teams. I will never bitch about us stockpiling talent, regardless of what "position" they play. We could play with 4 PGs on the floor at one time and I wouldn't care, as long as they can rebound, shoot and play defense.

And watching JG play in a Prep tournament in high school means little to nothing, those that i "heard" from have pretty good credentials in evaluating talent. You seem to be pretty high on DiSano's opinions, he is one of a few people who told me Poyser was the real deal. You are very subjective, you generally hate undersized PGs and love a 6'5 PG, but because you have seen him play you go back on your long held opinion about shorties? All I am saying is there is ample room for both of them, I too am excited about a great PG we may have with JG, but I do not want DH to stop looking at PGs for the next 3 years.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

What are you talking about"
How many times have I mentioned our three best point guards in my time.
SIlk Owens, Jiggy Williamson and Tyson Wheeler.
Guess what? They were all 6' or under. I didn't like Mike Powell, not so much for his
siize, but his insistance in driving into the bigs and getting squashed.
My only question regarding Poyser wasn't "do we want him", but the implied
promise of a chance to start from day one on a team that may have several well
established guard by the end of this coming season.
Oh, and if watching kids in prep school or high school meant nothing,
then how could any coach try to gage talent? A strange statement.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

what i meant by that was you watched him in 1 tournament, 2-3 games if that, small sample size that is all. now if you tell me you scouted him all summer i will gladly take that back :) i know you love our 3 great PGs of the past but i also know you have taken shots at undersized PGs we were recruiting in the past, especially in comparison to someone of similar skills and 6 inches taller. we like who we like, its all good.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Funny, Jim Harrick used to say he loved big PGs.
The oddity was, he won with Tyus Edny and Tyson Wheeler.
Both little point guards.
The only big point guards we had that I can recall were Tip Vinson and John Lucky. Nuff said.

Oh, and I do know someone who scouted him for a couple of years, who had
unbridled enthusiasm for Garrett's game.....Preston Murphy. He might know something
on the subject of guards.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

we had 1 big PG, Lamar Odom!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Oh, God! Remember when Preston got hurt and Harrick
used Lamar against PC at point?
What a nightmare! The game before that, we got killed by Cincy.
Same deal.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

that PC game was tough to watch, was so excited for Lamar's first and only PC game, and within 10-15 minutes we rolled over.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Did I miss DH saying Poyser would have a chance to start? I thought the quote was that he would have a chance to step in and make an impact from day 1?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody Guy wrote:Did I miss DH saying Poyser would have a chance to start? I thought the quote was that he would have a chance to step in and make an impact from day 1?
Hurley can't say anything, at least publically, but you may have missed the comments below.

So far Poyser has made one official visit, to Rhode Island, and he came away impressed with what he saw.

“The trip was great,” said Poyser. “As soon as I got out there I got a great vibe from them. I talked to Coach (Danny) Hurley a lot, and he wants me to come there, and if that I were to commit I would have a chance to start right away and earn major minutes. Also he says he would help me get to where I need to get for the next level.”

He continued about the visit, “I also really liked the campus, the arena, and overall it was just a really good visit.”
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

This: "and if that I were to commit I would have a chance to start right away"
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Shouldn't everybody have a chance to start right away if they earn it? I'm not seeing the issue here.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Poor memory on my part, but I agree with Adam. I don't see the issue. Everyone should have the chance to start if they prove they are good enough.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yes, a CHANCE to start. As in "in the mix".
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

agreed! A CHANCE
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I have zero problems with Poyser's comments, or the fact that DH told him he'd have the chance to play major minutes and start right away. We should all be thrilled that there will be constant competition for every spot on the roster. As a natural outflow of that, incoming recruits and underclassman will have talent levels comparable to or beyond that of players already on the roster. This is a good thing. It is not an insult to Garrett, and I am so excited to see what sort of player he turns into at URI. DH can and should be promising the chance for immediate playing time to his high-level recruits, and I hope he does the same to a few more top-100s :-)
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think in the end, it's a moot point.
I'm told this recruitement will go on for quite awhile, and he'll very likely end up at
UNLV in the end.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Todd Simon is a definite asset to that UNLV program. He's an interesting guy- I didn't know about the health issues he deals with.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Since Jalen realistically is not going to Buffalo, would Bobby say something nice to Jalen about Dan and Rhody? Curious on the dynamic there.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Nate can bring up the 17 year old freshmen he helped send to Rhody who's now showing up in draft projections as a sophomore.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

He definitely can. Would he?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Why not? Nate Oates had a fine relationship with Dan and Preston.
EC was one of his guys. Makes sense to me.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Hope so. Would mean a ton I'm sure to hear good things about Rhody from "non-Rhody" people.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Poyser visits UNLV this weekend. He knows some of the players and previously played for one of the coaches. Looking at UNLV's roster, I was surprised by how young of a team they are right now.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

90% chance he winds up at UNLV.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He's going to UNLV's version of madness too. It certainly seems to be his first choice. He said he will discuss this with his family before making a decision. That could be our one hope. His dad loved Dan and the school.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

I hope I'm wrong, but I have the feeling that URI isn't enough of a "big time" program for the Poysers, either Jaylen or especially his Dad.

I think they are smart enough not to burn any recruiting bridges and shrewd enough to patiently wait until the spring signing period to see what other offers shake out. Especially if Jaylen has a good season.

I don't blame them, I just don't think it works out very well for us in the end. I hopemI'm wrong
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

reckless jake wrote:I hope I'm wrong, but I have the feeling that URI isn't enough of a "big time" program for the Poysers, either Jaylen or especially his Dad.

I think they are smart enough not to burn any recruiting bridges and shrewd enough to patiently wait until the spring signing period to see what other offers shake out. Especially if Jaylen has a good season.

I don't blame them, I just don't think it works out very well for us in the end. I hopemI'm wrong
If we start hot out of the gate (beat Nebraska and Kansas) and get national attention it will only help, his decision isn't expect until the spring (I believe)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

I agree with you 100%. Beating Nebraska, and especially Kansas, will help not only with Poyser, but with our recruiting in general.

I believe an end of the year run that gets us into the tournament would significantly raise our recruiting profile and help us close the deal with recruits like Mann, Brooks, Silva, Aflakpui and others.

It would be similar to what's happened with VCU in their recruiting.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If Poyser waits 'til spring, we'll also have a much better idea if EC will be here next year. Poyser could look at himself as a replacement for EC. (We don't have to argue about whether or not EC will go to the NBA after this year in this thread. We've done enough of that already.)
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

But at the same time, if a player chooses a different school because of an already established relationship with a coach and some familiarity with his future teammates, then that is likely a good choice for him, too.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:But at the same time, if a player chooses a different school because of an already established relationship with a coach and some familiarity with his future teammates, then that is likely a good choice for him, too.
And that's why, as Rod says, he is 90% going to UNLV. If we still have a small shot to change his mind in the next few months, I'll take it.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

It looks like he is coming to our Mid night madness two yrs in a row.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No he's isn't. Check out BFC's list in the Madness thread.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Well, at least the old man is diplomatic about the whole thing. I wonder what the son really thinks…..
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Don't know why, but I have a good feeling about Poyser.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Is it really down to us, UNLV, and St. Bonaventure?
Do Canadians really think St. Bonaventure is our "arch rival"?

http://hoopshype.ca/jalen-poyser-visits-unlv/
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Still seems pretty clear it'll be UNLV. He stopped making visits after going there and they were the front runner going in.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

"Still seems pretty clear it'll be UNLV. He stopped making visits after going there and they were the front runner going in."

Agree with this. If you read some of the other stories on that Canada link, UNLV seems to have a pipe line with Canadian players. The article mentions Anthony Bennett, Kheem Birch and some others from Canada that have gone to UNLV so I would expect Poyser to follow suit. Also mentions a pipe line with a prep school out there. Plus his high school coach last year is now at UNLV so I think we are fighting an uphill battle here.

Interesting tidbit, Leroy Butts is ranked 146 by 247 sports, Poyser 228 whatever that is worth.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

BFC wrote:Is it really down to us, UNLV, and St. Bonaventure?
Do Canadians really think St. Bonaventure is our "arch rival"?

http://hoopshype.ca/jalen-poyser-visits-unlv/
In the same sentence as the "arch rival" comment (which made me LOL), the article refers to Rhody as a "first class facility", which is pretty awesome.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

FWIW, that site has been known to take quotes from others' articles and add in their own commentary. It resulted in some nasty back and forth on twitter a little while ago. That article has identical quotes from Zagoria's piece.
0 x