'15 VA PF Leroy Butts

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: '15 VA PF Leroy Butts (URI Signed LOI)

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Bullshit!
You want to stifle all discussion on this subject.
Anyone can see that this team is in dire need of a big man or two.
If this program is going anywhere this need has to be filled.
End of story.
We already have people on scholarship not playing at all.
More of the same isn't wise.
I hope they have some irons in the fire for the spring, or we'll be
having more four guard lineups, minus TJ.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:Bullshit!
You want to stifle all discussion on this subject.
Anyone can see that this team is in dire need of a big man or two.
If this program is going anywhere this need has to be filled.
End of story.
We already have people on scholarship not playing at all.
More of the same isn't wise.
I hope they have some irons in the fire for the spring, or we'll be
having more four guard lineups, minus TJ.
You didn't quote me, but I assume this is in response to me. First of all, stop saying I am stifling discussion every time I have an opinion that you don't agree with. I am actually having the discussion, not stifling it. A discussion is not a bunch of people nodding in agreement with each other like a collection of bobbleheads on every subject.

As far as everything else you said, I don't disagree that it would very, very helpful to add some frontcourt depth to this roster. I'm not sure what I said that would make you think I disagree with that. My point isn't "who cares if he sucks, we don't need a good big guy anyway." My point is that I think the panic about how good of a player he will be is based on basically nothing. Yes, if he is a stiff that won't be good for us, I'm just not any more worried about that with Leroy than I would be with any player that I'd never seen play before.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Calling posters thoughts, "crazy", and mocking them for thinking as they do.
IS in fact trying to stifle discussion.
Why? Because we don't agree with you and the status quo.
Nobody is panicing. We are just saying what we think about what
little, but not positive, information we are reading.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I get seeing an unimpressive box score and saying "gee, I hope there is a reason Butts only scored four points! We are in trouble if he doesn't develop into a contributor." That is reasonable. I just think some of our fans can be prone to overreacting to what they perceive as negative information.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The situation we're talking about is more than about Butts.

I'm not expecting him to be a savior. He may help a little or a lot, we don't know, same as for Thompson.

No one will really know until we see them play for us.

We're just stating the fact that this team still isn't complete, as presently constituted isn't good enough.

We need more than Butts, whether he's good or not. It's not easy to recruit a good 5. Dan is finding that out for sure.

I'm saying all this even if Terrell and Jarvis make quantum leaps in their games by the end of this season. That's all good of course, but after this season, we have 4 studs and not much else.

And no frontcourt to speak of, other than lonely Hassan.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

While I don't believe we should panic, what exactly is our frontcourt next year? Hassan and Watson, with nobody in reserve, exept maybe Butts? JR? And Watson will be a senior, right? I'm not sure Terrell was thinking about playing power forward when he came here, but that's exactly what may happen at times next year. Somebody will need to step in the TJ role in that 4 guard offense.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rambone 78 wrote:We need good, solid players that could play major minutes if necessary.

Better than what we have besides our top 4.

Complimentary players. Shooters. Big Men.

Our 2 best players right now, again besides the 4, are Gil and TJ, and they are gone soon.

After them, there is too big a dropoff in talent. District Baller is right when he says our top 4 can play with anybody on VCU. But they go 8-10 deep without that big dropoff. They wear teams down with that depth. That's why we lost Tuesday night.

We simply need more.
While I agree URI needs more, losing X, TJ and Gil over two years is about as good as you can hope for. The building blocks are here and staying.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: Our 2 best players right now, again besides the 4, are Gil and TJ, and they are gone soon.
Rambone, you're the man. But I just find this sentence to be hilarious.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

How about we junk the 4 guard offense and do what every other program does?
Go to a more conventional setup, with guards, forwards and a center.
Or three guards and two forwards. Or three guards, a forward and a center.

Actually, Rambone is right. After the core 4, TJ and Gil, maybe Watson are
our best players.
Hilarious? Why? Who do you think? Butler? Oneykaba? Reischel?
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Not concerned about Butts' numbers in high school, coaches must have seen something from this kid to want him signed, however it doesn't change the fact that we still need another big foremost. I realize they don't just rain down, but it would be nice if we could sign a center, maybe someone closer to 6'10" than to 6'5", it's a legit desire when one looks at the landscape of the roster going forward. I still believe we can compete with the best teams without one if the skill level of our players is good enough, but I would like Rhody to be among the best of the best teams, not just be able to compete with them, if we can do that without a lengthy, post operating center then I'll be pleasantly surprised.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Even if Butts is very good, even at 6'7" he is a perimeter player, isn't he? I still say ______ leaving is what screwed us. If he was here, he's at least depth at a big position next year. Even moreso, the recruits we were after at that position went elsewhere because _____ was here. If _____ had never come back, one of those would have been more likely to come here. Now we have neither. And now there's not much left to recruit from the '15 class at the position. The timing of his departure put us a year behind in recruiting. We might have to be looking at a '16 now unfortunately.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:How about we junk the 4 guard offense and do what every other program does?
Go to a more conventional setup, with guards, forwards and a center.
Or three guards and two forwards. Or three guards, a forward and a center.

Actually, Rambone is right. After the core 4, TJ and Gil, maybe Watson are
our best players.
Hilarious? Why? Who do you think? Butler? Oneykaba? Reischel?
No, I was saying that if you are losing your 5th and 6th best players but keeping your best four guys, that is an exceptionally good position for a college program to be in. The time to worry is when you lose your best four guys. I think finding rotation/depth pieces is a lot easier than replacing stars.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Every team loses players every year! To graduate 1 starter and a glue guy is a good position to be in. Next year's write-up in Blue Ribbon will talk about how URI has 80 percent of their scoring and rebounding back.
Hurley has brought in back-to-back great recruiting classes, he signed two players early. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt at this point.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I'm not overly concerned about Butts either. Certainly I'd like to see better #'s, but I'm not going to get down on the kid before he even steps foot on campus. I talked to a couple of people a little closer to the h.s/aau scene, and though they hadn't seen him recently the comments I heard was very athletic and long. Not a perimeter player, more of an inside player who needed to work on his shot, ball handling. Take that for what its worth. Dan mentioned Butts in one of his shows that Butts was a guy they were still counting on to give the Rams help inside. I am sure the staff is keeping tabs on him. I think they still need to bring in more size. Out of the countless tweets and recruiting sites, I never see URI mentioned with anyone. You see almost every school mentioned that the coaching staff is going to see someone, they offered or shown interest in someone, but not URI. That scares me a little. As good as Hass has been and it going to be, he can really be a great player if he gets some help inside. I am not a 4 guard offense guy, I agree traditional. Not every team in the nation that plays a traditional lineup with at least 1 forward and a center, take their bigs out because of matchup issues every game, sorry.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gio, I wonder if he's almost a Lamonte Ulmer style of player?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm with Gio. I saw a site which listed players we were
involved with for 2015 and 2016,
and not one player in the 2015 list is over 6'5".
We seem not to be on the lists of any unsigned forwards or centers.
These days, there aren't many secrets in recruiting.
It's not like Bill Blair's mother telling Joe Mullaney,
"I have a nephew, who's pretty good..." and it turns out
to be Jimmy Walker.
That worries me. It's crickets. We go by what we see and hear.
I have sources, who have given great and accurate information in the past,
and they say the same thing. "Nothing much happening".
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rod, let's say you are right and they aren't quietly pursuing players and they are just choosing not to get involved with the types of players everybody agrees we need. Why do you think that is? What would make them take that approach? Every action or inaction is motivated by something....they clearly didn't just forget they need more players.

I'm not asking in a ball busting way. I'm genuinely curious. I can't figure out why or how that could possibly be, so I have assumed that isn't what is happening. But I don't know that to be the case, so I am interested what other people's read on it is.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:Rod, let's say you are right and they aren't quietly pursuing players and they are just choosing not to get involved with the types of players everybody agrees we need. Why do you think that is? What would make them take that approach? Every action or inaction is motivated by something....they clearly didn't just forget they need more players.

I'm not asking in a ball busting way. I'm genuinely curious. I can't figure out why or how that could possibly be, so I have assumed that isn't what is happening. But I don't know that to be the case, so I am interested what other people's read on it is.
Dan, like Penders, is fed up with Thorr and the situation here. So Dan has stopped recruiting for URI. He is out of here after the season.......just kidding!!!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not saying they're not chasing their needs. Just saying there doesn't seem
to be mutual interest, judging by the information that's available.
What is harder to get information on is, foreigners, jucos and post grads.
Maybe they have irons in those fires?
Maybe they can plug a hole with those and grab a better 2016 big?
My main concern is that EC and Hassan don't turn into
this century's version of Pappy Owens and Marc Upshaw.
Two tremendous players, who never went to a post season,
due to a lack of substantial supporting class.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This makes zero sense. Dan knows we need bigs. We need to get the ball inside to score consistently. We can't just hope that Terrell and Jarvis become good 3 pt. shooters, or EC somehow remembers how to make them.

We have one inside threat right now, Hassan. Even he only scores mostly on rebounds.

Gil is MIA. He should be 12/8 per game most games, even better sometimes. But even if he does that now, he's not here next year.

From 15 ft. [FT's] on out, we stink. We are awful. And the entire college BB world knows it. We keep chucking up 3's instead of going inside against zones. That also hurts our rebounding.

As long as that continues, we will be life and death against teams that we are either close in talent, or better than. Thank God for our defense.

Rod, who wouldn't want to team with EC and Hassan [and Terrell and Jarvis also] and be that missing piece we need, and plenty of PT to boot? Again, makes no sense.
Last edited by rambone 78 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Not saying they're not chasing their needs. Just saying there doesn't seem
to be mutual interest, judging by the information that's available.
What is harder to get information on is, foreigners, jucos and post grads.
Maybe they have irons in those fires?
Maybe they can plug a hole with those and grab a better 2016 big?
My main concern is that EC and Hassan don't turn into
this century's version of Pappy Owens and Marc Upshaw.
Two tremendous players, who never went to a post season,
due to a lack of substantial supporting class.
Man that would be so disappointing if EC and Hassan never get that chance. What they've done to come here and help rebuild the program, it'd make me sick if they didnt have that opportunity at some point in all 4 years here.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think Jarvis, EC, JT, Hass and Watson is a good starting five. Maybe good enough to win the league, honestly. The question is what do you get from the bench, right? You can probably count on playing four of those guys about 30 minutes a game, and maybe 20-25 from Watson. So you're looking to fill about 50-60 minutes. Can Butts and Thompson give you some minutes? Can Biggie and Reischel play a role? Can you get something (even five fouls and four or five boards) from Iffy? I feel like you can cobble those minutes together from that group in a way that won't kill you, and that is not even considering adding a JUCO or a grad transfer or finding a guy in the late signing period that you could use. I think the problem is slightly overstated.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If I'm a high school/prep bigman, do I want to go to
a guard-centric system, where the inside players are
mainly an afterthought?
Or, do I want to go where the bigs get plenty of touches, and are
featured in an offense?
Kids have egos and few want to be merely support players.
Word gets around on styles of play and the like.
Guards will be wooed by Dan and his ideas on guards and his
love and ability to relate to guard play.
I wish we had an ARD or a Larry Farmer type,
someone on staff, who could relate to and teach bigmen.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:I think Jarvis, EC, JT, Hass and Watson is a good starting five. Maybe good enough to win the league, honestly. The question is what do you get from the bench, right? You can probably count on playing four of those guys about 30 minutes a game, and maybe 20-25 from Watson. So you're looking to fill about 50-60 minutes. Can Butts and Thompson give you some minutes? Can Biggie and Reischel play a role? Can you get something (even five fouls and four or five boards) from Iffy? I feel like you can cobble those minutes together from that group in a way that won't kill you, and that is not even considering adding a JUCO or a grad transfer or finding a guy in the late signing period that you could use. I think the problem is slightly overstated.
Yeah I tend to fall more on this side of things as well. I think it's tough because we are looking at things through the lens of this years team and what we have seen to this point. I actually think Terrell and Garrett are going to get so much better still that it's hard to know for sure how the team will really look even next year. Which is also why I agree with most that a post grad or transfer type could be perfect. Of course the transfer route would be a little tougher since they couldnt play next year.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

With all the talent that has come through its nuts that there could be some drop in what we can get.

Wait for it..... The Preston Murphy conspiracy theory!!!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Wow Pappy and Upshaw, what a comparison. Upshaw destroyed his knee also. 2 great players. A few have mentioned not having any former players on staff. Clearly when Bobby was here, along with Dan and Preston, you could certainly see where that would be alluring to young guards. URI has little history of developing and producing good big guys, and with no ex players on staff to help a player develop to their highest level, perhaps it is a question. And if any young prospect watches URI and sees limited touches for Hassan and even Gil, could it possibly be a deterring factor for some? I am not saying that is the case, but could it be a possibility with at least some prospects. Obviously we can absolutely offer a great deal of PT for the right player, which should be very helpful in attracting some big guys.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:With all the talent that has come through its nuts that there could be some drop in what we can get.

Wait for it..... The Preston Murphy conspiracy theory!!!
I think if there really is an issue, it is that you have all those great players now on the roster and using so many of the minutes. You were able to sell those four guys on getting as many minutes as they can physically handle.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It would have been nice to get a mid season transfer.
Dan kept a scholarship for such a happening.
He said he came close to bringing in a 6'10" one,
but it fell through.
Now, a transfer would be eligible to play in EC and Hassan's
senior season.
We do have an ex player on staff. Cox was a three year
starter at William and Mary.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, we've improved the program. We are now relevant.

Big deal. If we don't go to the Dance, what good is it?

Even Baron had us on the edge a few times, although it was ugly to watch.

This is a huge crossroads for us. Dan has promised a lot. The next 2 years are EVERYTHING in my book.

Maybe somebody will land in our lap, and all will be well. And maybe not.

I really hope that Hurley doesn't bring in someone just to fill a gap, that isn't good enough to make the team better.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Luther clay would go a long way.

With the development of what will be EC Jarvis Terrell Hassan -- it has to be another big guy that can contribute in some way.

A better defender than Gil is a must! Has to be some sort of transfer, preferably a juco/grad transfer.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, Dan looks for a certain type of player. Has to fit the system. Must play D. Be a good student.

This does shrink the pool quite a bit.

Might have to take a few more chances to land someone we really need.

Tough to change your standards though.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Hurley isn't going to settle. He knows what he needs and he's going to pursue every avenue to get it. Instead of taking someone he's not crazy about he's going to wait to see what pops up down the line. The best four players are back next year. Sorry, I don't understand the angst.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Not worried either, right now we need role players, not studs, to round out the roster. Have no doubt our staff will get it done and has a plan.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Iggy, the angst is, we want to be better than just a good team. As it stands now, we're a good team that has a ways to go to be a very good team.

Those 4 insure that we will be pretty good next season. If we want to take the next step, we need a couple more pieces in the right places.

There is no guarantee that's going to happen. That's what everybody is worried about.

April is beyond important for this program's future progress.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not being a sheep for the status quo isn't angst.
How dare we want an NCAA team here.
Guess what? You won't have it with what you have now.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

rodfromcranston wrote:If I'm a high school/prep bigman, do I want to go to
a guard-centric system, where the inside players are
mainly an afterthought?
Or, do I want to go where the bigs get plenty of touches, and are
featured in an offense?
Kids have egos and few want to be merely support players.
Word gets around on styles of play and the like.
Guards will be wooed by Dan and his ideas on guards and his
love and ability to relate to guard play.
I wish we had an ARD or a Larry Farmer type,
someone on staff, who could relate to and teach bigmen.
I think this sums up our situation perfectly. Bigs want to know that, if they come here, they're going to be more than just a "place holder."
Also, it's true that our key players will be returning next year. But, except for Hass, they're all guards. It's going to be Dan's job to convince a good big man that if he comes here, he'll be relevant. Not any easy thing to do.
We play a lot of teams that aren't as good as us. And they seem to have a center that can do something. i don't see why we can't get some of these players. We're probably never going to be a team that gets the top big men. But, that doesn't mean we can't get some serviceable center every now and then.
It would be foolish to think Dan doesn't know this. Of course he does.

This is a great discussion thread.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If we're talking '16, is there any reason we can't get Terrell Brown, the 6'10" kid from St. Andrew's? He's a very good prospect, his uncle played at URI when I was there and maybe he'd like to play local for a very good college team? PC is after him too, so it could be a battle between the two locals.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I know it's tough to be objective after a tough loss; but URI starts 2 frosh and 2 sophs. Garrett looks like the real deal at the point. A year from now the UMASS thread and this one will look ridiculous.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Elev8 Red wins big Friday 112 - 87 at Ballin at the Beach as Kobie Eubanks had 37 points for Elev8
Elev8 Red wins big today against Kiski at Ballin at the Beach

Chad Myers RT @: Rhode island commit Leroy butts comes up with huge stick back dunk and Kobe gets fortuitous bounce on 3 as elev8 leads 96-63 - See more at: http://verbalcommits.com/players/leroy- ... Fjcg8.dpuf
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Iggy1979 wrote:Hurley isn't going to settle. He knows what he needs and he's going to pursue every avenue to get it. Instead of taking someone he's not crazy about he's going to wait to see what pops up down the line. The best four players are back next year. Sorry, I don't understand the angst.
First of all, as earlier stated, I am not worried about Butts at this point. He was recruited at a pretty high level and is playing on an elite team. But the fact remains, we still need to recruit other bigs. Butts, hopefully as good as Dan believes, but that would still leave him, Hassan and Earl who will be a senior next year. Let's face it, Dan is very unlikely to get a 4 or 5 star big guy. Those are reserved basically for the Kentucky's, Carolina's, Syracuse and so on. And with our style of play, and the lack of involvement of front court players, it could potentially make it that more difficult. He has to bring in some size, and he may have to settle for something of a project. I continue to watch conferences that I believe lesser or equal to the A10 where the top teams in their leagues have very serviceable, if not good big men. Watched a couple of guys, David Laury from Iona and Brad Waldrow from St Mary's. Neither guy is glamorous or flashy in their styles, but big bodies and very effective. These 2 guys, I would guess, are 2 of the better big guys at the mid or low major level, but simply 2 examples of guys that would be great for our situation. My point is there are guys out there, and yes there is a need to recruit some more big guys, preferably at least 1 center. I have faith Dan and his staff can develop front court players better than our last staff. If he can recruit a 3 or 4 star fantastic. If he can find 2 or 3 Hassan Martin types, at least size wise, fine. But, as we go on, there is a need to get more front court players if we want to compete at the highest level of the A 10. 4 guard offenses just aren't going to get it done at this level, especially a couple of which are challenged offensively, and none of which, at this point, are considered lights out shooters.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Great post, Giovanni!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

As I've said before, Portland U has three 6'11" guys and
two are 12-14 ppg scorers shooting 55 and 56%.
We don't need a world beater. We just need a serviceable big
to eats space on the interior, rebound, and get some put backs.
Gio, I saw both players you mentioned this weekend.
How different would our team be with either of them?
The fact is, there are big men out there, because many teams even at
lower levels have them.
Saying the four best players coming back means we shouldn't worry about
the same problems we have this year, happening next year, is absurd.
We got pasted 18-7 on the offensive boards yesterday, by a couple of good,
but not great UMass bigs.
Anyone think there may be a problem, when we face other teams with similar size,
this season and next?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, having our 4 best players back next year, you're right, doesn't mean much without more help inside.

Yes, all will be better, especially the freshmen, who should become better shooters.

Yes, Thompson might help with his shooting. Butts might help some too.

But without that big guy or two, this is a fatally flawed team.

Being in every game is great. But if we can't win many of them, so what?
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I am with everyone that we need a big, but it has to be a big athletic guy that can play defense and rebound first.. Does not have to be a 6' 10" guy that clogs the lane. A Hassan clone maybe an inch or 2 taller works.. Remember Hurley's defensive philosophy is man to man all game long.. Athleticism is key # 1.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:Elev8 Red wins big Friday 112 - 87 at Ballin at the Beach as Kobie Eubanks had 37 points for Elev8
Elev8 Red wins big today against Kiski at Ballin at the Beach

Chad Myers RT @: Rhode island commit Leroy butts comes up with huge stick back dunk and Kobe gets fortuitous bounce on 3 as elev8 leads 96-63 - See more at: http://verbalcommits.com/players/leroy- ... Fjcg8.dpuf
Kind of tough to judge Butts when a guy like Kobie Eubanks is dominating like he is in both points and rebounds. Elev8 Red Team is now 15-2 and has played some tough games to date.

Russ Wood‏@RussHoops·
2015 Elev8 Sports Institute (FL) Kobie Eubanks (@kobeeubanks) had 26 pts, 12 rebs, 4 asts & 3 stls in a win over Kiski

Chad Myers@COACHMYERS5 · 14h 14 hours ago
Good win over Kiski 88-71 to move to 15-2 on the year

Chad Myers retweeted
zach smart@zsmart3 · Jan 16
Elev8 Red vs FCI rightly saved for the tail end of Ballin at The Beach tourney. Elev8 roster is drenched w/high major talent
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

ram1980 wrote:I am with everyone that we need a big, but it has to be a big athletic guy that can play defense and rebound first.. Does not have to be a 6' 10" guy that clogs the lane. A Hassan clone maybe an inch or 2 taller works.. Remember Hurley's defensive philosophy is man to man all game long.. Athleticism is key # 1.
Yes, that would be nice to get a big, athletic guy, or a couple of Hassan type guys. But we are playing very good d with Gil, who is far from your most athletic guy. There aren't a lot of Karl Townes out there. You can still play the tough man to man with a big guy that isn't an incredible athlete. Teams like Texas, Kansas, Duke, Mich St have always played outstanding man defense with very big bodies. Obviously those teams are recruiting McDonalds AA too also. Watching the Texas-WVa game yesterday and the announcer made a comment that Texas and Kansas (Barnes and Self) have always liked to and have had success in getting a lot of easy hoops close to the basket and have always prided in denying opponents the same easy baskets. Fran Fraschilla then commented, well those teams have always had great size that makes it a helluva a lot easier.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Dan wants us to become a regular NCAA tourney participant that can win games in that tournament, we have to have more size and depth. We can compete for the most part in the A10 because there aren't a lot of quality big men, but to play with the big boys.....

I think he knows it now.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Of course, I agree with all this talk of needing big men for the future. But, our problems this year are deeper than that. We play differently in the last 5 minutes of games. We can't close out games. With better play, we could have won both games this week, even without a center.
We get away from the good passing that we've started games with. It's like, give the ball to EC and get out of his way. That's not really fair to him.
If Jarvis can make good decisions at the start of games, why isn't he given the chance to make them at the end?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we're going to win close games in the future, I've said this many times:

Jarvis Garrett has to be given the keys to this offense. That includes late in games.

He can see the floor, distribute the ball. He'll make EC better playing off the ball.

We have to make defenses respect someone else besides EC.

I know our freshmen are a work in progress, but imo the only hope to salvage this season is to give them the opportunity to see what they can do.

It isn't always going to be pretty, but what have we got to lose? What we're doing now isn't working.

Right Dan? If EC is truly the team player that everybody says he is, then Dan needs to tell him this move is best for the TEAM.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote:If we're talking '16, is there any reason we can't get Terrell Brown, the 6'10" kid from St. Andrew's? He's a very good prospect, his uncle played at URI when I was there and maybe he'd like to play local for a very good college team? PC is after him too, so it could be a battle between the two locals.
Watched most of St Andrew's game yesterday on Coxhub stream, in between football, and Terrell Brown. Vic Soares' grandson I believe not his nephew. He's a legit 6-9 or 6-10. Very long as well. Athletic for size and is much more of a finesse player than power player. Hit 3 or 4 threes and made a couple of nice moves around hoop with agility and mobility. Appears to be very passive, not aggressive or physical at all. Almost seemed to shy away from contact or getting involved in rebounding action. I've heard he does have interest in in both URI and PC at this point though he has a long way to go in his recruiting process. He definitely has skill and length that could help. Danny would have to install some aggressiveness and physicality in him. And he is a local kid, who's grandfather was a player at Rhody. This opinion is based on seeing him in 1 prep school game for a kid that I believe is only 16. I am sure Dan and staff has an eye on him.

Several coaches for around the country there. Calipari was front row for a game yesterday. Guys like Tony Bennett, Kevie Ollie I saw as well as Paul Hewiitt and Shaka Smart was front and center for St Andrews game. Believe he had a recruit from New Hampton Prep. Assistants from many top schools there as well, saw old friend Kevin Clark also. New Hampton had kid going to Syracuse, 1 to BC, but they also had 6-10 kid named Jeremy Miller going to Bill Coen and Northeastern, who looked very fluid and like a nice player. Not to continue to hop on getting a big guy thing, but they are out there, and we really have to get a couple.

I am sure, or would hope Dan, or at least staff members are there today or have been there. Certainly a quick ride from the UMass game as the tourney is in Springfield. Basically every top prospect is playing and very many top schools. I know St Anthony's played this morning so perhaps Dan was there for that. Even Daniels commented that the most intriguing prospect in St Anthony's game was a 6-8 PF named Taurean Thompson, class of 2016 and unsigned. Wonder if Dan can and will recruit his father's players? This kid seems like it would be a nice start.

Games from this tourney are being aired on ESPNU all day long if anyone is interested. I know ramster had mentioned in another thread. Monteverde Academy with Ben Simmons #1 player in nation and URI recruit Marcel Ponitka at 3:00.

Used to have a lot of connections and very in touch with recruiting, aau, prep and h.s. ball many years ago, in the 90's and early 2000's. Really enjoyed at the time, but have lost touch. But certainly still entertained and enjoy when I get to see or attend any of these type games or tournaments. Remember seeing Jarvis at RIC last year and loved his game.
0 x