'16 MD PF Quadree Smith (Providence Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: '16 MD PF Quadree Smith (Providence Commit)

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Iggy1979 wrote:The best way to put together a deep roster is to not have multiple scholarships still open in May.
So Cooley landing ESPN Top 100 Alpha Diallo on 4/27 was a bad move?
PC actually didn't have any open 'ships, they sorta been prying them open as they need too.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote:The best way to put together a deep roster is to not have multiple scholarships still open in May.
Agreed. It's amazing how a lot of the guys hanging around this time of year jump a level or two because teams get desperate. Then, a season or two goes by, and it becomes pretty clear where they should have signed originally.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Surprised Cooley pushed out Lomomba as he was crucial to getting NCAA bids the last 2 years.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote:Surprised Cooley pushed out Lomomba as he was crucial to getting NCAA bids the last 2 years.
Quad played on the same team as Akele and was clearly not the player With the potential of Berry - no surprise at all that he did not cut it at PC. Don't like the idea of pushing him out after just 1 year.

I'm very surprised Lomomba is gone. He would have been valuable to the team next year.

Lot of late recruiting by the Friars is surprising. Tough to find nuggets among the leftovers, always is.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote:Surprised Cooley pushed out Lomomba as he was crucial to getting NCAA bids the last 2 years.
Quad played on the same team as Akele and was clearly not the player With the potential of Berry - no surprise at all that he did not cut it at PC. Don't like the idea of pushing him out after just 1 year.

I'm very surprised Lomomba is gone. He would have been valuable to the team next year.

Lot of late recruiting by the Friars is surprising. Tough to find nuggets among the leftovers, always is.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Lomomba wasn't brizzed.
He was however a very limited player whose experience and leadership was valuble.
But he was also going to be competiting for time for 3 new players and 1 departure, plus the improving games of the young kids.
Think about all the guards and wing players on PC ... Cartwright, White, Edwards, Lindsey, Fazekas, Jackson, Diallo, Council, and you could also include Bullock who could slide over and play 3 at times, and discount Council, who did not prove ready for the court last year.
So while some don't play the same position (Cartwright will be the starting PG, although there could be times he and White are on the court at the same time), there would be significant competition for minutes.
Some people have also stated that the staff is high on Jackson and thought he was the most complete wing player on the roster last year and would have had a starting role.
So it's entirely possible that next year's starting 5 for PC is Cartwright-Lindsey-Jackson-Bullock-Bentil, and then Lomomba would be included in the spin cycle of other guards/wing players that depending on matchups could get 15-20 minutes or get nothing.
That's why Lomomba left, and went to a program where he will play immediately and get to play 25-30 minutes a night.
The other kids were reach players that didn't develop as hoped. Happens to every program that is not Duke or Kentucky.
For all the talk about PC's spring recruiting, they brought in an ESPN 100 guard, a highly-touted JUCO player, and the only other player that have eyes on is Kalif Young, a raw big from Canada who has been discussed by recruiting analysts as a BE-caliber big.
JUCO was not ideal, but given the other misses, they seemed to have landed a player ready to take on a major role that shouldn't have to spend time developing as most bigs do.
They also have a big, DaJour Dickens, a Top 125 big from VA from the class of 2017.
Don't have many 'ships to fill for next season, which is probably why the staff may have aided in bumping some of the lesser pieces off the roster.
Right now they have one open, assuming Bentil leaves after next season and Dickens takes his scholarship.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ace wrote:
Agreed. It's amazing how a lot of the guys hanging around this time of year jump a level or two because teams get desperate. Then, a season or two goes by, and it becomes pretty clear where they should have signed originally.
Sounds like us with Berry...
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I love Berry.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

I don't mind the guy but it seemed pretty clear we took him because we desperately needed a big man. I'll be shocked if he ever has another 15 point game in a URI uniform.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I have no idea what to expect with Berry going forward. He could have already hit his high with us and recruited over with the three bigs coming in. That said, with how much work he put in to lose weight and get himself in better condition since this time last year and the skills he possesses, I could see him ready to have a solid year for us if he continues that work for a second summer. To me, how he looks is the second most important/intriguing question going into this season after EC's comeback.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think Berry will always be a matchup play. There are situations/matchups where he can be successful, but I don't see him ever being in a position where he is a consistent solid contributor night in and night out.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I could see a scenario where he gives us more points and slightly fewer rebounds then what Watson gave us this past year in about 15 minutes per game. Watson played 19 minutes a game this past year. I think it depends on 1. what kind of shape he's in after this offseason, 2. how committed the team is to Martin playing the 4, and 3. how game ready the incoming bigs are.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Berry is in a pic on Hassan's Instagram. He looks even slimmer than he did at the end of the season.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I have been unfairly critical to Berry on this board since he arrived. That said, I still believe his ceiling is 5ppg 5rpg. I like the kid though, hope he keeps proving me wrong.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I love Berry.
Lost a ton of weight prior to the start of last season
Lost weight during last season
Lost weight since the end of the season
Great hands
Good shooter including free throws
Solid rebounder both offensive and defensive
Good fundamentals
Excellent upside potential
Good team player
Patiently awaited his opportunity
Humble
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: Don't have many 'ships to fill for next season, which is probably why the staff may have aided in bumping some of the lesser pieces off the roster.
I don't like this methodology of recruiting ...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Stop! Rammer Time wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote: Don't have many 'ships to fill for next season, which is probably why the staff may have aided in bumping some of the lesser pieces off the roster.
"May have aided in bumping some of the lesser pieces off the roster?"

Recruiting in May to fill roster spots tends to result in these types of actions later on.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Stop! Rammer Time wrote:
URI does it too. It's not unique to the college game.
To be honest, I'm not sure how many schools perform a true "brizz."
Kid comes to the coaches office unhappy, thinking about leaving the program.
Two options:
Coach sees the kid in the future plans - Goes into a full sell
Coach doesn't see much for the kid in the future - Honest about role
Anytime a kid isn't good and leaves a program short on 'ships, it's always assumed to be because he was brizzed.
Sometimes it's just as simple as a kid seeing 4 or 5 or 6 guys ahead of him on the depth chart and wanting a fresh start somewhere else.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I would take Lomomba on my team in a minute, in the same way that I would take TJ Buchanan. Tough, glue player, very good defender. There's a reason he played 24 minutes a game on an NCAA tournament team.
As for Jackson being maybe the best wing player on the team, guys in street clothes on the bench are always great.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

There are several things Berry does well that many at URI have not done well for some years. He seems fully bought in. Berry is much longer than Watson/Hassan.

Playing Watson and Hassan in the front court has tricked us into thinking they are tall. Those guys are short. Makes Berry's rebounds and layups look easier and more natural.

Who knows what the ppg/rpg will be but I think it needs to be 12-18 minutes a game.

But the roster is really competitive. Who knows how it shakes out this year. Many players to pull for though.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Iggy1979 wrote:I would take Lomomba on my team in a minute, in the same way that I would take TJ Buchanan. Tough, glue player, very good defender. There's a reason he played 24 minutes a game on an NCAA tournament team.
As for Jackson being maybe the best wing player on the team, guys in street clothes on the bench are always great.
Lomomba's problem was that basketball is a 2-way game, and you can't afford to have someone playing major minutes when they can only play one side of the basketball, especially when PC had trouble last year score in general from anyone not named Dunn or Bentil. As players get more experience and more talent gets influxed, it's easy to see why Lomomba would more than likely have a more limited role on next year's roster. He does all the things you say he does well, but on some nights that may mean 15 or 20 minutes, or on another maybe zero.

Cooley came out in full public support of Lomomba I think in February, that he would be back and how glad he was to have him back. I truly don't believe Lomomba was the victim of a brizz. I think it was an honest conversation about a diminished role that he would have to fight for his minutes. Lomomba wanted to go somewhere we he could solidify a strong role and that's why he is at Western Kentucky. He could have had a role at PC, but I think it would have been rather unpredictable.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I love to see Friar fans ogling over a transfer from a basement A10 program. Jackson did show some flashes FR year, but its just awesome to watch the about face over there given how they thumb their noses at the conference.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:I love to see Friar fans ogling over a transfer from a basement A10 program. Jackson did show some flashes FR year, but its just awesome to watch the about face over there given how they thumb their noses at the conference.
So good players can't exist at bad programs?
PC fans acknowledge that the A10 is a good conference, but while closer than they were 3 years ago, there is still a gap between the conferences.
That's it.
I don't know what to expect from Jackson, but I don't let my view of a conference as a whole affect my view of a player.
Some of the best NBA players still in the playoffs (Curry, Lilliard) come to mind as guys from small schools at small conferences.
So because we think the Big Sky is a sucky conference, he must suck?
C'mon now.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Friar fans will be wishing they had Lomomba come January -
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Sorry RJ, but the good majority of fans on your board do not acknowledge the A10 is a good conference.
The disparity between the BE and A10 isnt even worth mentioning in the context of this convo, but yet you did bc you just cant help yourself.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Conference aside, Jackson is coming from bad team.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:Sorry RJ, but the good majority of fans on your board do not acknowledge the A10 is a good conference.
The disparity between the BE and A10 isnt even worth mentioning in the context of this convo, but yet you did bc you just cant help yourself.
You mentioned PC fans and their view of the A10. That is the view on the A10.
Majority of our fans do acknowledge the A10 as a good conference, just not comparing it to the Big East.
Of course you can find some fans who are dismissive because they are biased.

The greater fact about not knowing what Jackson can actually bring is valid.
But it's because he's a transfer most haven't seen play, not because he's coming from George Mason.
You can still find good transfers from bad teams, and bad transfers from good teams.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RJ I actually believe it was you who said on your board that our early signings would all be "in case of emergency" (paraphrasing) signings for you guys...and rattled off things like Tertsea being recruited by GMU as an example.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:RJ I actually believe it was you who said on your board that our early signings would all be "in case of emergency" (paraphrasing) signings for you guys...and rattled off things like Tertsea being recruited by GMU as an example.
90% accurate representation of my statement.
Slightly misleading, because I said PC had other guys they were looking at it with higher priority and not hitting any of them would lead to the "break for emergency" options.
When looking at recruits and perspective players, all I can go off of is the names of the programs looking at the kids, and where the recruiting rankings have them.
If a kid is looking at mostly lower-A10 programs and CAA schools, then I am going to ask why he's not getting sniffed around more by other teams.
Doesn't mean the kid is going to bust though.
There's three options -- blows up and becomes a stud, plays to his ranking and by his junior and senior year is very productive, or never develops and has to drop in level.
But until the kids play college games, how do we know how they adapt?
Honestly, we don't.
But until then, I'm going to go off the knowledge at my disposal.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Layssard was recruited by a bunch of HM and is not in the 300s. I actually believe PC sniffed around him, and the kid looks like he will be a very solid A10 player.
Dowtin and Langevine are clearly guys who have the chance to be late bloomer types that play well above their ranking.
Tertsea is the biggest project, but most non P5 teams will struggle to attract guys with 7'5 wingspan and legit Centers so its a risk worth taking IMO.

I see you edited your comment above to remove your mention of them all being ranked in the 300s, which i dont believe was accurate.... tho i dont give much credence to recruiting rankings after the top 50-75 kids who have been seen a lot for evaluation purposes.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

My above post was more in reference to Tertsea specifically than anyone else.
The post about the 300s was more a generalization just got rid of it to avoid confusion.
I've been very publically supportive of Layssard, a case where rankings are deceiving.
24/7 has him above 250.
Think lists of interested schools shows he has some serious
talent.
PC did sniff around on him, given what occurred in the fall he'd be great to have but they did what they had to do.
To tie it all back to someone like Smith, if they have a shitty fall and spring, and desperately need a big, I'm ok with a chance or two to give them some time to see if they can develop into the stud category.
But you can't build a perennial contending roster on prayers.
And if they can't hack it, you repeat the cycle.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

RJ has obviously had too much CoolAid to drink. Cooley can do nothing wrong is his mind. There is no doubt Cooley has gotten rid of 3 players in the past couple of weeks. It is possible you could add a coach to that list. I think it is quite certain that LaFleur did not get a raise by going to Vegas. PC gets $4million from Fox alone which is probably light years more than Vegas gets from all sources of basketball revenue. PC is either very cheap in paying the assistant coaches or UNLV hit the lottery and nobody knows it. RJ does a great job rationalizing every move that Cooley makes and believes every statement that the school issues on behalf of players and coaches who have left the program.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Berry keeps his rebounds high and his put backs go up with touch. While I respect and expect everyone to have their opinions, I don't see how anyone can tell me with confidence what Berry's ceiling is or will be, to those who state such things, he's probably already shattered the first ceiling you saw him under!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:My above post was more in reference to Tertsea specifically than anyone else.
The post about the 300s was more a generalization just got rid of it to avoid confusion.
I've been very publically supportive of Layssard, a case where rankings are deceiving.
24/7 has him above 250.
Think lists of interested schools shows he has some serious
talent.
PC did sniff around on him, given what occurred in the fall he'd be great to have but they did what they had to do.
To tie it all back to someone like Smith, if they have a shitty fall and spring, and desperately need a big, I'm ok with a chance or two to give them some time to see if they can develop into the stud category.
But you can't build a perennial contending roster on prayers.
And if they can't hack it, you repeat the cycle.
What are you talking about?
PC did more than sniff around - PC flat out offered Layssard on July 29, 2015

The 6-foot-9, 260-pound Layssard chose Rhode Island over SMU and Texas Tech and also held offers from South Florida, Murray State, Memphis, Louisiana Tech, Wake Forest, Mississippi State, Clemson, Texas A&M, Old Dominion, Wichita State, Oklahoma and Providence.

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... an_mi.html
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Eli, you clearly don't know my thoughts because I think Cooley has done plenty wrong in my mind in the last 12 months, but frankly losing losing your 12 and 13th men along with a limited 2G who I was never much a fan of isn't on the list. Let me know when you do want the list though, I'll gladly provide you a rationalized chronological list of my complaints from the last 12 months. Believe it or not it is quite extensive.

Ramste, PC offered Layssard and about 95 other guys last year, but we all know who PC was going after on the trail and Layssard was not it. Layssard (or guys like him) would have been a great option after their other 3 misses but unfortunately for PC, many of those next-tier guys were already off the board.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Eli, you clearly don't know my thoughts because I think Cooley has done plenty wrong in my mind in the last 12 months, but frankly losing losing your 12 and 13th men along with a limited 2G who I was never much a fan of isn't on the list. Let me know when you do want the list though, I'll gladly provide you a rationalized chronological list of my complaints from the last 12 months. Believe it or not it is quite extensive.

Ramste, PC offered Layssard and about 95 other guys last year, but we all know who PC was going after on the trail and Layssard was not it. Layssard (or guys like him) would have been a great option after their other 3 misses but unfortunately for PC, many of those next-tier guys were already off the board.
RJ,
PC formerly offered Layssard on July 29, 2015, one day after Oklahoma and 10 days after Wichita State offered Big Mike. Mike was one of PC's early offers for big men in the Class of 2016.
If you, Cooley and staff did not really want Mike then I don't understand why you made him one of the earliest offers of the "95 other offers" that Cooley made.
If you did not want Mike then I am also very surprised by that because he is a heck of a player. I am very confident that your HC will be saying he should have made a "REAL" offer for Big Mike versus this type of "we don't really care about this guy over the other guys we really like" type of offer
How many of your 95 "other" guys did PC offer because so many players kept turning PC down?
It was a tough recruiting year last year for the Friars, resulting in the mad scramble going on right now to get late signings such as Alpha Diallo (who is a solid signing but very late and somewhat lucky that he was still available).
Also surprising that PC had so few signings this year knowing that Chukwu was lost before last season and Bentil looked more and more likely to go pro.

Looking at URI's Class of 2016 the jury is of course still out - as it is for any School's Class of 2016 - obviously
However consider Dan Hurley made a conscious plan to complete his recruiting class early for 2016, working diligently to accomplish that so he would not be recruiting in the Spring and Late Spring for the 2016 Class. He accomplished his mission.
When Layssard, Dowtin, Tertsea and Langevine verbaled they of course had not played their Senior Years yet - naturally when you recruit in late Spring as Cooley is now doing he Senior year performances are known.
Knowing what we know now about DH's 2016 Class - wow:
Layssard - solid year. Again made first team Class 1A Louisiana. Previous year he was also first team and Christion Thompson made 2nd team. Mike was at the PC - URI Game sitting behind the bench. Would have been heavily recruited if not having verbaled to URI early on
Langevine - solid year. His team, the Patrick School, was in the Top 10 USA at one point. Cyril made All Tournament at the prestigious City of Palms in Ft Myers. Would have been heavily recruited if not having verbaled to URI early on
Dowtin - solid year. His team St John's College HS was in the top 10 USA Today for most of the year. Jeff was outstanding shooting 3's, FT's passing, defensively, high BB IQ, long arms, good rebounder, sees the floor great, team player.......his teammate Cowan goes to Maryland as a Top 100 ESPN but Jeff is very close to Cowan in performance this year averaging 16 ppg and has a high upside.. Would have been heavily recruited if not having verbaled to URI early on
Tertsea - solid year playing for John Carroll HS. Long, strong defensively, good timing, good rebounder, good shot blocker. Played high level of competition and his team continued to improve throughout the year. Would have been heavily recruited if not having verbaled to URI early on

So RJ, you gamble to some extent getting guys to commit early, and if you know what your are doing plus with a little luck thrown in, you can nab a class that you can be very proud of later on. On PC's case, Cooley gambled and offered many players, many high level Top 100 ESPN guys, but did not land any of them during the season.

Only time will tell whether PC or URI will turn out to have had the better 2016 Class but if I was a betting man right now.................................

Also will be interesting to see how the 2017 Recruiting Strategies play out. My guess is that DH will go the exact same route but even targeting higher level players as he already is....................

URI quite honestly is on a roll :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Ramste, PC offered Layssard and about 95 other guys last year, but we all know who PC was going after on the trail and Layssard was not it. Layssard (or guys like him) would have been a great option after their other 3 misses but unfortunately for PC, many of those next-tier guys were already off the board.
Do you think Cooley should adjust his recruiting strategy, or do the results so far justify the means?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:Ramste, PC offered Layssard and about 95 other guys last year, but we all know who PC was going after on the trail and Layssard was not it. Layssard (or guys like him) would have been a great option after their other 3 misses but unfortunately for PC, many of those next-tier guys were already off the board.
Do you think Cooley should adjust his recruiting strategy, or do the results so far justify the means?
This can be verified on my site on I believe April 19th (only reason I remember the date was because it was the date Holt signed with PC), that I have questioned the approach to some extent.
Reality is that Cooley missed on Gabriel, he missed on Marfo, and he missed on Keita.
He was left with his schmenzer in his hands and so far for bigs as only come up with a JUCO transfer (albeit a decent prospect) and had to scavenge the earth to find guys who may have the ability to play at the Big East level.
It came up in a conversation about Hamidou Diallo, the 2017 #10 prospect in the nation whose cousin Alpha just recently committed to PC.
One of the top PC bloggers said there was no chance he would come to PC and he hoped they wouldn't waste time on him.
It became a full-out pissing match about how the staff knows what they are doing and that many of us aren't recruiting experts, blah blah blah.
Certainly, I'm not a recruiting expert, and I'm not a collegiate coach, but I can read and I can hear.
When word is out for months that a kid is destined for a specific school or set of schools, and that there is almost no chance the kid comes to my school, I as a fan can become discouraged when that kid signs elsewhere, as well as many of the other kids they could have recruited harder in the preceding months that they were "all-in" on that prospect.
So yes, IMHO, I wish there was a slightly better feel on not getting ridden out by certain guys, and being able to recover quicker.
But at the end of the day, it is based on the results.
3 straight tournament appearances, probably a 4th if Bentil comes back, 3 fringe Top 100 recruits over the next two years, kept the core of their roster together, it's hard to complain.
People can say the same about my frustrations with the offensive sets.
I can kick and scream and get frustrated all I want, but it's won almost 70 games in the last 3 years.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
This can be verified on my site on I believe April 19th (only reason I remember the date was because it was the date Holt signed with PC), that I have questioned the approach to some extent.
Reality is that Cooley missed on Gabriel, he missed on Marfo, and he missed on Keita.
He was left with his schmenzer in his hands and so far for bigs as only come up with a JUCO transfer (albeit a decent prospect) and had to scavenge the earth to find guys who may have the ability to play at the Big East level.
It came up in a conversation about Hamidou Diallo, the 2017 #10 prospect in the nation whose cousin Alpha just recently committed to PC.
One of the top PC bloggers said there was no chance he would come to PC and he hoped they wouldn't waste time on him.
It became a full-out pissing match about how the staff knows what they are doing and that many of us aren't recruiting experts, blah blah blah.
Certainly, I'm not a recruiting expert, and I'm not a collegiate coach, but I can read and I can hear.
When word is out for months that a kid is destined for a specific school or set of schools, and that there is almost no chance the kid comes to my school, I as a fan can become discouraged when that kid signs elsewhere, as well as many of the other kids they could have recruited harder in the preceding months that they were "all-in" on that prospect.
So yes, IMHO, I wish there was a slightly better feel on not getting ridden out by certain guys, and being able to recover quicker.
But at the end of the day, it is based on the results.
3 straight tournament appearances, probably a 4th if Bentil comes back, 3 fringe Top 100 recruits over the next two years, kept the core of their roster together, it's hard to complain.
People can say the same about my frustrations with the offensive sets.
I can kick and scream and get frustrated all I want, but it's won almost 70 games in the last 3 years.
I agree with what you are saying. Past 3 years have delivered. No argument there. But now Dunn is gone, I think he should have gone NBA last year, Bentil is 80% likely gone. Just had his measurements yesterday.
Cooley missed on Marfo, Gabriel and Kieta but he also had a huge swing and miss when Chukwu left last Spring for Syracuse. Chukwu has legit NBA potential and was a devastating loss for you. I would rather have Chukwu on this year's team than Marfo, Gabriel and Kieta all put together.
Bottom line, was not a good recruiting year for PC and the loss of Chukwu was horrific. If I was you I would be worried about this coming year. It's always about what have you done for me lately.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

See, I don't think it was a bad recruiting year for PC.
I guess it is largely dependent on Bentil coming back.
Their class this year has a fringe Top 100 PG to replace Dunn, a fringe Top 100 wing player in Diallo, they add Jackson (FWIW), and bring in a JUCO-guy Holt who was thrown out of Indiana for a few dumb decisions, but many fans were upset that it happened and wanted him back, and their last 'ship they want to use on Kalif Young whose down to PC and Marquette and recruiting people says has been underrated since he's from Canada, and while not ready to contribute right away, is a BE caliber player.
Could it have been better?
Sure it could have, but I don't think of it as bad.
Losing Chukwu was a horrific loss though, one that should not have come as a blindside to the staff, but that they did miss at times this year.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Cooley did pretty good given he went into the Spring with 1 signing. Ramster always love your keaney colored glasses, but there isnt a leg to stand on in knocking Cooley. End of day, 3 NCAAs in a row at PC is impressive, regardless if its in a watered down version of the BE. And Diallo and the IU kid seem like really good gets for this late in the year.

All that said, I am very excited about our class and I think it was a surgical job by our staff to identify a need and address it in bulk (Big guys). On top of that bringing in a long, tall guard who looks to be an excellent defensive player, good shooter and possess a high bball IQ.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It looks like Bentil is staying in the draft.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I see where Bentil is projected to go anywhere from in the high twenties, up to the 33rd pick. That's crazy, he played through injuries and carried his team on many an occasion, he was one of the best PFs in the NCAA last year and he seems to be on the lower part of his learning curve going up!! He's very skilled already and he has all kinds of potential. In my mind he should be going top 15 at worst.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Congrats to PC on developing Bentil and Dunn. BAR is right to say there's no way we can knock Cooley right now after 3 straight NCAAs, 2 NBA players, and we haven't beaten them in years. He's developed a great program and it can only set the bar higher for us, I'm happy about that.

With that said I like URI's signings this year too and I love the makeup of our squad.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree. I'd love to see the Celtics grab Bentil. Nobody expected him to have the huge degree of improvement that he had last year and then he performed very well at the combine. Excellent shooter for his size. Think he will continue to surprise and improve in the NBA
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

There is no way the emergence of Draymond Green hasn't raised the value for someone like Bentil. He set a new benchmark with his powerful body, yet good ball skills and shooting abilities...I have to think scouts see similar potential with Bentil. Though his foot speed and ball skills (beyond shooting) will need a lot of work.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote:There is no way the emergence of Draymond Green hasn't raised the value for someone like Bentil. He set a new benchmark with his powerful body, yet good ball skills and shooting abilities...I have to think scouts see similar potential with Bentil. Though his foot speed and ball skills (beyond shooting) will need a lot of work.
The problem is that Green is as much of a rarity (the undersized 4 who actually is strong enough to guard 5s and quick enough to guard wings) as, say, Curry is (a shooting / point guard who's ability to shoot is so overwhelming that it papers over his other issues). In the past, going for undersized 4s in the draft usually resulted in productive but flawed players like Jared Dudley and DeJuan Blair. Most of them don't turn into Draymond Green or Charles Barkley.

I think the late first, early second range for Bentil is probably a decent one, as a result. He seems like he'll be a productive NBA player at the very least, but he probably doesn't have star potential.
0 x