'16 MD PF Quadree Smith (Providence Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Re: Quadree Smith

Unread post by Tom98 »

That is really disappointing to hear......wtf......hopefully ARD can get him in shape by season. I agree that Hurley shouldn't have used the scholly if the kid doesn't have the tools to play at the highest level
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

He left practice in a Maserati driven by Pat Riley's mother...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Ramsey, just two questions. One, how is it that you supposedly have all this access to the Ryan Center that no one else does? And two, please explain why we should trust this "eye witness account" when some of your similar stories have been exposed as being false?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So we're just making stuff up now? Cool!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

*smacks forehead*

*shakes head*

*wonders if the Russian secret agency made up of women who propagate rumors in other countries via the internet that I read about in the NY Times had anything to do with this*
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

It's Pat Riley's fault!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Ramsey, that account sounds totally over the top.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Nah uh guys. This is totally true, just like this other disturbing story I heard first hand: The other day Berry was at Hope having a burrito eating contest against all comers. He eventually threw all competitors out because there wasn't enough burritos for him to eat. He did this one handed so he could middle finger Marshall and Hurley and their "fitness plan" for him. He said he came here to see the ocean, play a little hoops, and crush burritos...but he went to the beach and was all out of basketballs.

He was using his hoops scholarship to actually just get to RI and study under Rod "El Mariachi" Carri, best burrito eater this side of the Rio Grande. He knew that basketball was never for him and just strung Hurley along. He took a secret video of Dan losing to Bobby in a game of horse which he used to blackmail coach into a scholarship. Now we're stuck with him.

It's obvious we're in deep trouble this year. Kid's attitude and effort is poor, unless it comes to burrito eating..of which he looks to have the goods.

Seriously though - made up crap like the practice story is why this site is unreadable in the offseason. You guys are lucky I'm here to provide you with knowledge.
Last edited by Blue Man 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

That's as good as s any of your in-season rants Blue Man
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I know this is bogus, especially, because I HATE Mexican food
or anything with cumin in it!
Smells like the old Cranston East locker room.
Must've been one of my 2,575 look alikes running around.
At International, the guy behind the counter told me he thought I was
the President of Honduras (true story!). I told him I was Sadaam Hussein back from the dead.
Ramsey will vouch for me, I'm sure!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Committed to PC.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Should be interesting to see how he turns out.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Their version of Andre Berry, and thank god for PC or they would have been jumping off bridges if they couldn't sign him given his other offers...
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

projo reports signing of Smith with pc
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Ron Rollerson 2.0
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rollerson was 6'10". This guy is considerably shorter.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rodfromcranston wrote:Rollerson was 6'10". This guy is considerably shorter.
Is it possible that Ronnie Rollerson is a living example of onomatopoeia?????

0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: '16 MD PF Quadree Smith (Providence Commit)

Many of us here have questions about the wisdom of bringing Andre Berry on......very similar in body type and resume of Q Smith....but there seems to be no friar fan who has questions about the value the player brings and whether he can compete at their level of competition.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dre3000 wrote:Ramsey, what day was this workout you watched Berry get thrown out of? I know Hass pretty well and not only did he say that never happened, but he also said the guys haven't done ANYTHING head to head. Everything has been 1 on 0 or guard+forward pick and roll/pop situations with no defense or with coaches playing token defense. Not sure why Hass would need to make that up, or why you would for that matter. Personally I have no clue what the kid looks like, but I really don't care how good/bad he is right now. I'm more concerned with seeing the development of Earl and seeing how they use Iverson at the 4. I see the most likely situation being Earl stepping into Gil's minutes, Kuran getting TJ's minutes and more, and Iffy sliding into Earl's minutes with Berry taking a year on the bench like Iffy did last yr.
Agree. Berry will work his way into shape and into Hurley's system.

Ramsey's response.................crickets
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

He played on the same team with our signee Nicola Akele.....wonder if our staff gave him a look while we were longing for a post player....
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Our staff was well aware of him. Murray and Cox had taken a look at him last year. From what I hear he was unable to qualify academically to play D1 and went prep. I'd be curious to know if academics are still an issue. He has attended four different schools in the five seasons since initially enrolling in high school.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

My question goes more to this past few weeks when we looked at Berry and Bah...did we look again at Smith because it looks like his academics didn't scare the friars....
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just an observation going over to the Scout PC board, they seem to be a lot more positive about Smith signing than we were when Berry signed, when they seem like the same type of player...interesting.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:Just an observation going over to the Scout PC board, they seem to be a lot more positive about Smith signing than we were when Berry signed, when they seem like the same type of player...interesting.
Yeah, well one of their idiots is comparing Smith to Wes Unseld.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rhody15 wrote:Just an observation going over to the Scout PC board, they seem to be a lot more positive about Smith signing than we were when Berry signed, when they seem like the same type of player...interesting.
This board hasn't been optimistic since the VCU game.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
This board hasn't been optimistic since the VCU game.
Here, Seawright -- I've never taken a selfie -- but here goes: I'm optimistic! And it's only June 11, 2015...
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote:
Yeah, well one of their idiots is comparing Smith to Wes Unseld.
Wes Unseld went to one high school and one college -- and I'm George Clooney.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I think a lot of it has to do with perspective/roster construction.

PC really only had 1 big man, desperately needed a body. Ben Bentil is a 4/5 at 6'8, and Bullock is coming off an ACL tear and is a 3/4 at 6'7. If you survey they transfer/recruiting wire around Memorial Day when Chukwu announced his desire to transfer, not much out there, need to take a chance on someone. I don't know what Smith could be, but his body size should at least make him serviceable if he can get his conditioning under control.

PC is also after Kyle Washington the transfer from NC St., and JC Reyes, a 6'9 big from Georgia whose relatively unknown but a more impressive list of interested schools.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I really wish we could have gotten Kyle Washington.
0 x
Go Rhody
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

In his words, "Hell, no!", so I doubt we were
even an afterthought for him.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I wonder if there will be a televised weigh-in before the PC-URI game for Berry and Smith.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Pablo Sandoval will be the guest of honor.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'd rather bring big Vince in for that.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It reminds of the days when Randy Wilds faced off against Bob Miscevicious .... although it remains to be seen if the two new guys measure up to them.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Rhody74 wrote:It reminds of the days when Randy Wilds faced off against Bob Miscevicious .... although it remains to be seen if the two new guys measure up to them.
Those two -- especially Wilds -- looked chiseled compared to Berry and Smith.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Man Mountain Wilds!
He's a farmer now.
Was a pro wrestler for a bit, which anyone who
saw him, could readily see him doing.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I always thought of Randy as a pro wrestler when he was here.

It'll be interesting to see these two big guys and how, if at all, either fit in to their teams.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

ramfan85 wrote:I always thought of Randy as a pro wrestler when he was here.

It'll be interesting to see these two big guys and how, if at all, either fit in to their teams.
Or, how their teams fit into them…..
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Readily available is the National Championship game between IMG and Brewster Academy. Brewster blows out IMG as they got very hot with 3 pointers. Watching Quad play for IMG I find it difficult to ever see him as a starter at PC. I have no problem with him at PC instead of URI. Big guy, not much speed or leaping ability.

Nikola Akele looked descent for IMG. He jumped center to start the game. Hot a nice three 3 minutes into the game. Good rebounder, passer. Appears to have potential but it was a tough game to judge with Brewster so hot. Jalen Adams is something else for Brewster going to Uconn.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Evidently transferring from providence college.....looking for a more vigorous academic challenge....
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ed Cooley seems to have always have a lot of people coming and going - be it players or assistant coaches. This season is no different.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Got recruited over. It happens.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

This dude is a load and he sucks. See ya later if I'm PC.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Never understood how he even got offered by a Big East school. He wouldn't even be any good in the A10.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1 wrote:Ed Cooley seems to have always have a lot of people coming and going - be it players or assistant coaches. This season is no different.

Add another Friar leaving the program to the list. This time it is Tyree Chambers.

LaFleur (coach)
Lomomba
Smith
Chambers
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I think Smith and Chambers were desperation recruits by Cooley to appease the fan base after they missed on preferred recruits...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramulous wrote:I think Smith and Chambers were desperation recruits by Cooley to appease the fan base after they missed on preferred recruits...

Do you think Cooley pulled their scholarships and forced them out?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

860_rhody wrote:Never understood how he even got offered by a Big East school. He wouldn't even be any good in the A10.
Smith has the basketball skills to be a decent player as a junior or a senior if he ever got his weight down and his conditioning and quickness up. However, I'm sure the staff evaluated the last 12 months of progress and saw that at this trend, the quality production would be minimal. Cooley is working on putting together a far deeper roster than anything he's put on the court to date, and there really isn't room for someone who may be able to play minutes as a senior. I'm not going to go as far as to say he was brizzed, but PC's recruiting trends tell us that even if this kid stayed, at best he would have been a 5th or 6th option in the future, I'm sure the kid saw the writing on the wall. Same with someone like Tyree Chambers. Couldn't even play with a wide open void at the position. Now add more wing players?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The best way to put together a deep roster is to not have multiple scholarships still open in May.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
Ramulous wrote:I think Smith and Chambers were desperation recruits by Cooley to appease the fan base after they missed on preferred recruits...

Do you think Cooley pulled their scholarships and forced them out?
Yes
0 x