'15 NJ PF Chris Silva (South Carolina verbal)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: '15 NJ PF Chris Silva

Unread post by SGreenwell »

hrstrat57 wrote:We need this one! Puhleez

I expect the recruit in question is reading this thread, wouldn't you!
In my experience, players tend to be all over the map with this stuff. Some devour every tidbit and MB post about them... While some will never read any of it.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

According to a very recent post by Jeremy Schneider, we are out of the Chris Silva mix. He says it's down to the Hall and South Carolina
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

So much for the uncle or whomever, in Boston wanting him to be nearby.
No surprise.
So, again, assuming we don't get Aflakpui, either, where do we go
to get the replacement for Gil?
Transfer? Who wants to wait a year, and put up with the rust factor?
Juco? Maybe.
Post grad 5th year player? Unless staff has a big in with one of these,
it's risky business waiting until late spring to find out who's transferring.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Now it makes sense as to why Dan and Carr are going to see Aflakpui today. If they were still in on Silva, they would probably be there. That sucks. I was really hoping to get this kid. Now Aflakpui becomes even more important.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Billyboy78 wrote:Now it makes sense as to why Dan and Carr are going to see Aflakpui today. If they were still in on Silva, they would probably be there. That sucks. I was really hoping to get this kid. Now Aflakpui becomes even more important.
According to Zags, they were at Silva's high school last night.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

BFC wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Now it makes sense as to why Dan and Carr are going to see Aflakpui today. If they were still in on Silva, they would probably be there. That sucks. I was really hoping to get this kid. Now Aflakpui becomes even more important.
According to Zags, they were at Silva's high school last night.
Maybe that's when they were told.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Damn, if true that does suck. Who's this Jeremy Schneider guy? Reliable?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Hey, if he wasn't going with URI, I applaud him for telling Dan in person when he was there last night. That frees up Dan to shift gears and not lose valuable time and ground.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Thankfully Betts is in the fold. Otherwise, this recruiting season is looking a lot like last year. Close with some good propects but no commitments. We got really lucky by being bailed out in the spring with Garrett and Terrell. You can't however count on things such as that to happen year after year.

Had thought that the twin signing year of EC and Hassan was a sign of the future. It is turning out to be an anamoly. We are getting in the door with recruits but have trouble closing.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Mookie Betts signed with URI????
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

RF1 wrote:Thankfully Betts is in the fold. Otherwise, this recruiting season is looking a lot like last year. Close with some good propects but no commitments. We got really lucky by being bailed out in the spring with Garrett and Terrell. You can't however count on things such as that to happen year after year.

Had thought that the twin signing year of EC and Hassan was a sign of the future. It is turning out to be an anamoly. We are getting in the door with recruits but have trouble closing.
I really hope this is a joke.
I should say, I really hope this is an intentional joke.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Mookie Betts signed with URI????

Archie Bunker moment.

Meant Butts.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

We have to be realistic about our recuiting expectations, we haven't had a winning program in a while and haven't had a winning season under Dan yet. Even with all that negative we are still going toe to toe with some of the top programs in the country for recruits that have a lot more recent success the us. Once we get a winning season under our belts, recruiting will just become that much easier for Dan and URI.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

CT Rhody wrote:We have to be realistic about our recuiting expectations, we haven't had a winning program in a while and haven't had a winning season under Dan yet. Even with all that negative we are still going toe to toe with some of the top programs in the country for recruits that have a lot more recent success the us. Once we get a winning season under our belts, recruiting will just become that much easier for Dan and URI.
Yep, very well said. Really the fact that Dan has done what he has done to this point with recruiting is amazing.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

JK you guys.

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Haha I love and hate recruiting so much.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Thank God I'm reading today's posts in one sitting; it's like binge-watching a soap opera. I have my fingers crossed, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody74 wrote:I have my fingers crossed, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
I think that is the only way to approach it and still stay sane.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

I think we are in the best position. We have the most talented roster of the 3 in my opinion and will be highly competitive in a top 6 conference for the next 3 years at least, most likely going to be in the postseason all 3 years and there is an immediate opening at his position next year. South Carolina was 2nd to last in the SEC and has much superior teams in their conference, there is no guarantee Chris will ever play in the NCAA or even the NIT in his 4 years there. And Seton Hall is in the NBE, A-10 lite. The teams that were really good are losing their stature and quickly and SH still can't get above .500 in the conference.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I guess you can get some comfort from Zags' report, but can't feel real good any time there is smoke like that. In recruiting, sometimes smoke is just smoke, but sometimes it is a sign of fire.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

What's the difference?

Jeremy Schneider ‏@J_Schneider 25m
See my URI report coming under fire. I stand my my source. Never said URI was informed that they were out. #NJhoops
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Jeremy Schneider ‏@J_Schneider 13m
If Chris Silva puts on a URI hat tomorrow, I look stupid. I'll stand up and admit it. But I don't think that's happening. #NJhoops

Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille 11m
@J_Schneider he should make you wear the hat

Jeremy Schneider ‏@J_Schneider 10m
@NYPost_Brazille I'll be wearing a dunce cap haha
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't know anything about Schneider, but the implication seems to be that Silva or someone close to him told Schneider that it was down to SCar and Seton Hall, and that Zags is getting his info from Hurley or someone at URI and they hadn't been told they were out yet. Which, yeah it sucks and I think it would be right for the kid to call Dan if we truly are out, but it is an entirely plausible scenario. It is also possible that the info is not that solid or the kid could have a last minute change of heart (as kids are wont to do), but I am not feeling super about our chances.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So he has been told its not URI by a Silva source, and a URI coach is telling Zags they have not been told they are out. Thats what it sounds like to me at least.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Yeah, sadly I don't think that this sort of "smoke" can be anything but a bad sign. Would now be a surprise to see Silva pull a URI hat. As TP said though, there is a lot that can happen in 24 hours...certainly not giving up hope.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Schneider is following me on Twitter.
I'll post anything that looks relevant FWIW.
I don't get a good vibe, either, on this one.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Mic drop.

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think the other USC on this one. Which for the record would be the worse of the 3 teams in terms of potential for next couple years. SHU has a Top 10 recruiting class adding to Gibbs and Sina, they look to finally be positioned well to get to uppe echelon of NBE. So i think it will be South Carolina, but its an odd choice out of the 3.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

BAR may be right.

Jeremy Schneider @J_Schneider ·
Chris Silva’s visit to South Carolina clearly made an impression. The #Gamecocks have recruited him the hardest of anyone. #NJhoops #shbb

.@njdotcom will be live-streaming RC forward Chris Silva’s college decision presser on Friday http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/art ... at-315-pm/ … #NJhoops #shbb
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

This Schneider guy has been telling me for two weeks that Silva is going to Seton Hall, or at least he'd be shocked if he didn't go there. I wonder if the great atmosphere at South Carolina when Silva was visiting with their big football win over Georgia could have changed Silva's mind to USC.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

W Schneider on the stream link.. It got me worried :(
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The way Dan has been landing recruits (Hare, EC, Hass, Garrett, Terrell, Butts, Watson) and the way he develops players (A10 ROY, A10 All-Freshman) I think either way we are in a pretty outstanding position. And we will continue to get top recruits that will develop to their potential under him. I certainly hope we hear URI tomorrow but I like where our program is heading.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Sweep The Leg wrote:I think we are in the best position. We have the most talented roster of the 3 in my opinion and will be highly competitive in a top 6 conference for the next 3 years at least, most likely going to be in the postseason all 3 years and there is an immediate opening at his position next year. South Carolina was 2nd to last in the SEC and has much superior teams in their conference, there is no guarantee Chris will ever play in the NCAA or even the NIT in his 4 years there. And Seton Hall is in the NBE, A-10 lite. The teams that were really good are losing their stature and quickly and SH still can't get above .500 in the conference.
Agree with every word of this. Rhode Island is Silva's best and most logical choice......

(hope our recruit sees your post )
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Great argument, agree totally.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Zags just reposted the same story 5 minutes ago, insisting that Silva is still considering the same 3.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

The Seton Hall message board is falling apart, asking why URI is even in the final 3 and how the six bid A-10 sucks yada yada yada. Hopefully we can land this kid tomorrow, I'm not holding my breath but I have confidence in Dan and company.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Dan continues to impress. Butts is a good guy to have in the fold.

I am really holding out for this kid but Dan is clearly a guy that is getting things done.

Another recruit with Butts for the fall will be great but soon we will turn our attention to the court.

Have to see a product this year that is improved(I totally expect to)

No need to bemoan anything with our recruiting or program at this time.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

CT Rhody wrote:The Seton Hall message board is falling apart, asking why URI is even in the final 3 and how the six bid A-10 sucks yada yada yada. Hopefully we can land this kid tomorrow, I'm not holding my breath but I have confidence in Dan and company.
To be fair to them - This board kind of does the same thing whenever there is a recruitment announcement too, heh. Like maybe it won't happen when and if Hurley is in a recruiting battle with Duke or Michigan Stat, but that's probably it.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Oh I agree, with Terrell it def was the same on here. Just interesting watching a bottom feeder in a comparable league look down on us. Shows we need to start changing perception one game at a time starting this year!
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

The perception other teams have on us is correct. We have been a bad and insignificant team for too long. We need a few big wins and some 23-24 win seasons. {keep our coach when the big boys come calling} Then the perception will change. We all see the potential of our program but we need to reach the potential before we talk badly about any other program. That being said...

Once we string together a few of those season the recruiting process will be a lot more fun. Until then we are going to battle the Seton Halls of the world for players.

Someone needs to remind these big east teams that they may be the big east in name but not in quality.

I think we are going to make a nice run at the dance at the end of this season. We have depth at point guard and its quality depth. EC will be th best player in our conference come Feb.
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

Oh boy, this is what I remember Christmas morning feeling like! Sure hope there is a Chris Silva power forward, limited Rhody Ram edition, in my stocking!!
0 x
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MegaRamFan2 »

What time is he announcing again?
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Per Bill Koch there will be a 3:15 press conference
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Since Carr was the lead assistant on Silva's recruitment, I hope he hears good news on the day he is honoring his son at the Coaches Clinic.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

it could be totally unrelated, because frank martin was slated to speak anyway. but the tweet reads ominous
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Live stream for the 3:15 conference can be found here:

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/art ... at-315-pm/
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

No matter the outcome, there isn't a group of fans that I would rather be among than the lot of you! There aren't many programs at this stage in their development. We are on the rise! #RISE

Love you all! :)
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Anybody hear any rumors on his decision yet???
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Will be kind of awkward for somebody if Martin is to speak after the announcement.
0 x