'15 MA PF - Jarred Reuter (George Mason Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: '15 MA PF - Jarred Reuter (Offer)

Unread post by bigappleram »

If some of the newer suitors of Mitchell really want him and can offer PT it would be shocking to land in Friartown. I dont underestimate Cooley and he has been on him for a while, but still dont think he turns down a bunch of blue bloods for a trip down 95.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

PC has been on Mitchell for years, don't underestimate that time spent together. I would love an incoming class of Reuter, Butts, and Mann but I know I'm dreaming.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, he's got the connection with Mitchell, but doesn't he have the same connection with JT?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Let's not forget that the Friars had one of the 1st "package deals" back in the 70's when the offered Sly's buddy and high school teammate a scholarship as an inducement for Sly to go there. We all know that did not happen and Sly's buddy was gone after the 1st semester. Talk about being used and booted out when you did not matter anymore .......
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

eli#10 wrote:Let's not forget that the Friars had one of the 1st "package deals" back in the 70's when the offered Sly's buddy and high school teammate a scholarship as an inducement for Sly to go there. We all know that did not happen and Sly's buddy was gone after the 1st semester. Talk about being used and booted out when you did not matter anymore .......
Wow, what does this have to do with 2014?.......I'm not sure Cooley was even born back then!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

These package deals nearly never work out. Wasn't it just last year that Abdul Malik Abu & Jared Terrell were both slated to go to PC together? In the end, neither did and one ended up at URI. Could history repeat itself?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Yes, he's got the connection with Mitchell, but doesn't he have the same connection with JT?
In PC terms, Mitchell is to Abu as Reuter is to Terrell.

PC's pursuit of Terrell was largely through Abu. They were showing up to Expressions primarily to see Abu, and losing Abu really hurt Cooley. That's not to say they also weren't recruiting Terrell, but I think their recruitment of JT was largely through Abu.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Yes, he's got the connection with Mitchell, but doesn't he have the same connection with JT?

PC's pursuit of Terrell was largely through Abu. They were showing up to Expressions primarily to see Abu, and losing Abu really hurt Cooley. That's not to say they also weren't recruiting Terrell, but I think their recruitment of JT was largely through Abu.
I'm talking about Brewster.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:

I'm talking about Brewster.
Jason Smith likes Cooley but doesn't get heavily involved in the recruitment of his players. The guys at Friar Basketball did a breakdown of PC/Brewster in recent years, detailing recent player interactions in varying degrees...

Hard Pushes - Devonte Graham (2014 Kansas); Jared Terrell (2014 Oklahoma St.); Ron Patterson (2013 Syracuse); Jakarr Sampson (2012 St. John's); Semaj Christon (2012 pre-Brewster - Xavier); Naadir Tharpe (2011 verbal); Durand Johnson (2011 Pitt); Eli Carter (2011 Rutgers); Will Barton (2010 Memphis)
Soft Pushes - Melvin Ejim (2010 Iowa St.)
Stopped Recruiting - Jared Terrell (2014 URI); Austin Carroll (2010 Rutgers)

PC hasn't landed a Brewster player since Weyinmi Efejuku in 2005. One would have to imagine that bodes well for other schools.

http://friarbasketball.com/2014/06/19/a ... -means-pc/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:

Absolutely right. I said that many times last year, that Cooley was all about Abu. I really thought that PC had an excellent shot at Abu as Cooley was a regular at all Expressions Elite Games. Having seen many Expressions Elite Games myself, I was very impressed with Abu and with his upside potential. Excellent rebounder, all around passer, ball handling, defense.....and it seemed that he had so much more than he even showed at the time. I liked Terrell but Abu to me was the real gem of the Expressions team. Will be interesting to see how he does at NC State.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PC's pursuit of Terrell was largely through Abu. They were showing up to Expressions primarily to see Abu, and losing Abu really hurt Cooley. That's not to say they also weren't recruiting Terrell, but I think their recruitment of JT was largely through Abu.[/quote]
I'm talking about Brewster.[/quote]

Jason Smith likes Cooley but doesn't get heavily involved in the recruitment of his players. The guys at Friar Basketball did a breakdown of PC/Brewster in recent years, detailing recent player interactions in varying degrees...

Hard Pushes - Devonte Graham (2014 Kansas); Jared Terrell (2014 Oklahoma St.); Ron Patterson (2013 Syracuse); Jakarr Sampson (2012 St. John's); Semaj Christon (2012 pre-Brewster - Xavier); Naadir Tharpe (2011 verbal); Durand Johnson (2011 Pitt); Eli Carter (2011 Rutgers); Will Barton (2010 Memphis)
Soft Pushes - Melvin Ejim (2010 Iowa St.)
Stopped Recruiting - Jared Terrell (2014 URI); Austin Carroll (2010 Rutgers)

RJ,
What is your take on Mitchell? I know that Cooley has put a lot of time in with recruiting him but I have not been as impressed with him as most seem to be. I have seen him play live 3 times, am I missing something?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Mitchell has apparently really heated up over the past month. Jeff Goodman just came out over the weekend and called him the most underrated player in the class of 2015, and Scout just came out today and said he could be Top 25. Cooley has put a lot of eggs into Mitchell's basket, has been the priority recruit in 2015 for PC for over a year now. He's gone from a guy with a ton of potential, and he's starting to develop some of it. This was the whole review of his game from Scout:

"No player improved his stock in July more than Wolfeboro (N.H.) Brewster Academy standout Donovan Mitchell. I watched the powerfully built 6-foot-3 guard in every July evaluation period and a total of four times. Each time he was impressive. Last November he was known as an athlete with potential on the defensive end. Now he’s much more than and is a shot maker from three. All four times I watched him in July he hit multiple threes, including three or more in three of the games. He’s an improved ball handler and passer as well. He makes aggressive plays towards the rim and once he’s there he’s a terrific finisher because of his strength and athleticism. Speaking of his athleticism, he’s quite gifted in that area and is capable of highlight reel dunks in transition or off put backs. He’s a lock down defender that moves well laterally and plays a tough, physically brand of ball. Heading into July, Mitchell wasn’t regarded as a top 100 prospect. Now he’s in the conversation for a spot in Scout.com’s top 25."

It'll be interesting what impact (if any) his recruitment has on Reuter.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This is from earlier this month at the Breakout Classic where Hurley, among others, watched him. It's interesting to read how his approach seemed to change. He must be pretty confident that one of the five he's named will be the right choice.

http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2014/07 ... -notebook/

Jarred Reuter (2015/PF/Brewster Academy)
Going up against 7-foot-3 Jean-Marc Koumadje in the first session on Thursday morning was a little bit of a different challenge for the New England big man, who’s experiencing something new in Philadelphia. Usually one for being able to bully his way into the post, Reuter had to figure out a new plan of attack for dealing with one of the tallest prep players in the country.

“It’s a different setting for me, I haven’t really played in a camp before, but I’m getting the hang of it and I’m liking it,” he said. “I’ve never done those big camps everybody does, this is my first time.”

Reuter was giving up a full seven inches to Koumadje, though the 6-8, 240-pound bruiser still managed to make his mark on the game thanks to his high motor and unending pursuit on the glass.

I’m not the best athlete but I’m strong; I rebound, I play in the post, I can pass, I do stuff that helps a team win,” he said. “I’m really trying to add to my game and better what I think I’m already good at, so I’m always working on athleticism and everything else I can do and expanding my game.”

Reuter has a number of high-major schools that have offered, but wouldn’t name any specifics, saying he had a “few Big 10 schools” and a “few Big East schools” that had offered. He also doesn’t have any kind of list, and has only visited local schools like Providence and Rhode Island. According to VerbalCommits, he’s been offered by Kansas State, Pitt, Rhode Island, Temple and Gonzaga in the last few months, with previous offers from Boston College, UConn, Providence and more.

Those looking for a hint of where he might be leaning would be hard-pressed to find one.

“I’m still wide open for everything,” he said. “I’ve got schools with big campuses recruiting me that I like, schools with small campuses that I like, so I think once I get on campus and visit, I’ll get a feel for what I like and the place I want.” –Josh Verlin
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Following Luke Murray.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Well that escalated quickly. He wanted the big conference- got the offer and jumped on it. Good luck, Jarred!

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '15 MA PF - Jarred Reuter (UVA Verbal)

Oh well. on to the next one.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wow! THAT was fast!
Ugh!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

The ghost whispered sweet nothings…….

Thought his name was Jarred Hemmings……...
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

You could see it coming. He said he was going to wait until the end of summer to cut his list, then got the VA offer and accelerated the process.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

No shame in losing out to UVA, Tony Bennett has that program running on all cylinders these days. Glad to see us swinging for the fences even if we come up short, can't get everyone.

And anyways UVA's new basketball arena is beautiful.

As others have said, on to the next. We're certainly involved with a number of highly regarded recruits and Hurley has shown a track record of being able to close so we will get someone good, I'm confident in that.
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

I seem to remember another player, that committed to UVA only to leave and head back to Rhody. After all we live in transfer nation. After Terrell came back to Rhody, anything is possible.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

seemed liked he really wanted to go to Virginia, cut his list down soon after they offered, they got the first official visit and commits there immediately afterwards
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

UVa is a beautiful campus, great academics, great conference. You can't begrudge a guy for being attracted to all of that.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Section104
Art Stephenson

Re: '15 MA PF - Jarred Reuter (Virginia)

Unread post by Section104 »

transferring - 2 years remaining.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Was barely playing by the end of the year.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Once again, high school teammate of Terrell at Brewster.
1 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I think because we just had a class of three big men, we won't be on his radar/we may not pursue him. The biggest reason being, he would have to sit out a year. If he could come in right away, I think it would be a better fit.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Watched him a good bit at UVA... we could do better I think. He's very slow.
Very smooth sometimes, but he is...really slow.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Mariol Shayok leaving VA too. I don't think we were ever mentioned having any connection with him. Kid is very talented and can definitely help some program. I believe PC was pretty involved with him.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In reply to Adam Finkelstein
New England Playaz‏ @NE_Playaz · Mar 23
@AdamFinkelstein + Xavier, Providence, URI, George Washington, Vermont.
1 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Reuter committed to George Mason per Jeff Goodman.
Last edited by reckless jake 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

reckless jake wrote:Reuter committed to George Mason per Jeff Goodman.
Weird decision if true.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

TruePoint wrote:
reckless jake wrote:Reuter committed to George Mason per Jeff Goodman.
Weird decision if true.
Several sources reporting it now in addition to ESPN's Goodman
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not surprising. Last Thursday Jon Rothstein reported that Reuter had just completed an official visit to George Washington and that Reuter was also considering George Mason.
Nice to see A10 schools be in the running for ACC players like this looking to transfer and get playing time. George Mason continues to land some talent.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I just always wanted to say some version of "huge if true" - I'm not doubting the veracity of the report.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011