General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Is it to much to ask to get a recruit from our home state?
1 x
Common sense is not common.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Like who
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

I know RI isn't exactly a hot spot for cbb but the past few years we have missed out on a few....it would be nice to see if in the future we could pick up some RIers
0 x
Common sense is not common.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Tomas Murphy ain't happening. Most of the rest end up at CCRI or somewhere similar.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What about the kid from Classical,Kealen Ives, that just made the McD's team?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It would be cool to have RI players on the roster, but it is more important to get good players. I don't care if they come from the moon.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agreed. Those LSU TV commentators were SO SURPRISED we had no RI'ers on our team.

I could care less where they come from. Once we get good again and compete for A10 championships, we will have better chances of grabbing the occasional A10 or better skilled player from our state.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Agreed. Those LSU TV commentators were SO SURPRISED we had no RI'ers on our team.

I could care less where they come from. Once we get good again and compete for A10 championships, we will have better chances of grabbing the occasional A10 or better skilled player from our state.
There are a few young kids to keep an eye on, the younger Mazzulla kid who is a freshman at Hendricken, and two Portsmouth kids, Cole Swider and Chris Herren, Jr. Yes, it's too early to tell how they'll develop, but all display lots of talent for 14 year olds.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

theblueram wrote:What about the kid from Classical,Kealen Ives, that just made the McD's team?
He didn't make the McD's team. They have a nomination list that includes almost 1,000 players throughout the country. Out of those nominees they trim it down to the final 24 or so for the actual game.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This is the problem, there's a huge gap between the top players in RI and the second tier players. So the top go away to schools like Louisville Florida Duke West Virginia ect. The rest go to CCRI DII and DIII schools. I know from playing high school ball and knowing some of those top players And ones who went top schools. My point is URI is somewhere between a top school and a lower school, there's not enough ppl in RI for us to have a consistent flow of locals.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What do you guys want to see more, a commit from a recruit, or another win this season?
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:What do you guys want to see more, a commit from a recruit, or another win this season?
What quality is the recruit? Like close to Hassan/EC??
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

a win, hands down, I am still hopeful for a .500 conf season or something close to it.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I want to see us with a better conference record than last year, AND a couple of talented recruits come April.

I don't think that's asking for too much. If it is, then we're screwed.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Agreed. Those LSU TV commentators were SO SURPRISED we had no RI'ers on our team.

There are a few young kids to keep an eye on, the younger Mazzulla kid who is a freshman at Hendricken, and two Portsmouth kids, Cole Swider and Chris Herren, Jr. Yes, it's too early to tell how they'll develop, but all display lots of talent for 14 year olds.
We've offered Donovan Love, who is from Providence but playing at New Hampton. He's a 2016 PG.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Where is all the Jersey talent we were supposed to get? OK, Hassan is an NY kid, but.......Or , how about New England talent that we were supposed to get with Murray here? It seems our main area of recruiting quality talent still the Midwest....Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois...with Preston. Isn't this a problem that we're still not involved with any top quality players from Jersey or New England?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think we're involved with more kids from those areas that are still a couple years away. Remains to be seen if anything comes of it, but I think we need to give it some time before those pipelines start to produce results.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Agree, Adam. But would have been nice to tap the well in the NY/NJ metro for a guard in either the '13 or '14 classes.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The day Dan was introduced as new head coach, I remember a quote from Bob Sr..... Paraphrasing here, but Bob said something like "Dan will get the players he needs and he will get them soon." I assumed Bob Sr. meant from the Jersey area, and I thought he meant high school kids, not transfers.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah I hear ya, and agree, certainly would have been nice to see it come through sooner. Maybe they are finding it's just taking a little longer than expected. I'm no recruiting expert, but seems it would be easier to get some of these caliber of guys after having a longer relationship with them rather then just swooping in and grabbing them right away. Maybe thats what they are starting to realize.

I sometimes wonder if Dan even got caught up in a little of his own hype, being the ultra competitor that he is, and tried to make this team a complete turnaround right away with the JUCOs and transfers when in most situations that wouldn't be his normal way of doing things. Maybe they are realizing that wasnt the way to go and are focusing on a year or two away to really get the caliber of player they want/need.

Of course I'm not in his head. Just a theory, I obviously don't know for sure.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Again, look at the recruiting page and see that 90% of the offers
and anyone we seem to have a realistic chance at are Preston Murphy's
contacts.
Aside from his ability to never smile, what is Murray doing on the recruiting trail?
Where are the NY-NJ players beside Aaman and Martin? I'm not counting the transfers and X.
Those were people either coached or previously recruited by Dan and Bobby.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rod thats kind of my point. Could it be that Preston has been on those guys longer since he has been here longer? And its going to take a year or two for the other connections to come through? Again, just a theory, who knows for sure. Trying to hope for the best I guess?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Even though Preston has been at URI longer than the rest of the staff, they all were coaching (and presumably recruiting players and establishing relationships) before they got to URI.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I never bought into the pipeline from Hurley Sr., but i did think URI would be going head to head with Rutgers and Seton hall for the best NJ players. here's an example: Isaiah Briscoe is a five-star shooting guard from NJ. Rutgers and Seton Hall have offered but, according to ESPN, we haven't. Too good for us to get involved? Best I can tell URI is involved in one NJ player for 14 and one for 15. I think it was everyone's expectation that Hurley would use the family name and rep to recruit NJ/Philly/NY, and that doesn't seem to be happening.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Even though Preston has been at URI longer than the rest of the staff, they all were coaching (and presumably recruiting players and establishing relationships) before they got to URI.
Right, but were those players they were recruiting in the past up to the level that we are looking for? Thats my point.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:I never bought into the pipeline from Hurley Sr., but i did think URI would be going head to head with Rutgers and Seton hall for the best NJ players. here's an example: Isaiah Briscoe is a five-star shooting guard from NJ. Rutgers and Seton Hall have offered but, according to ESPN, we haven't. Too good for us to get involved? Best I can tell URI is involved in one NJ player for 14 and one for 15. I think it was everyone's expectation that Hurley would use the family name and rep to recruit NJ/Philly/NY, and that doesn't seem to be happening.
And we didn't try to recruit Tyler Ennis either. Ennis and Briscoe not only play/played their high school ball in NJ, they were teammates at St. Ben's. You would think we at least would have given a shot at them. If we're recruiting 4 star players from Michigan, why weren't we in on either of these guys?
Last edited by Billyboy78 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

One theory one of my "legend" game buddies has come up with is,
Dan and Bob Sr. have alienated a lot of opposing coaches in NJ, by their simple
dominance of them over the years.
Read Miracle of St. Anthony's and you'll know, it's not all peaches and cream
with the coaching fraternity in NJ.
The theory goes: Why should anyone help Dan get players, when he and his father have been kicking
everyone's ass for years?
It's a bit out there, but it makes some sense.
It might help explain the dearth of NJ recruiting.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It actually makes alot of sense I think. Just like alot of opposing fans dont like Hurley after watching him coach a game, I'm sure there are plenty of opposing coaches (especially in high school when they are dominating you) that don't like it either.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Carr was recruiting in the Big East. Maybe Murray and Hurley recruited lesser level players at Wagner and Towson, but they are still recruiting the same circuits so they should know who the players are and they should have relationships with the same AAU and high school coaches that they need to go through now.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Carr was recruiting in the Big East. Maybe Murray and Hurley recruited lesser level players at Wagner and Towson, but they are still recruiting the same circuits so they should know who the players are and they should have relationships with the same AAU and high school coaches that they need to go through now.
Yeah, probably true. Like I said, just a theory. And maybe trying to look for some hope.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I think we oversimplify recruiting like the prep school coaches stick shipping labels on these kids' heads and call UPS. Truth is the AAU coaches have just as much if not more influence. Some kids still have parents or other family members who have alot of input. And ultimately the kid is still making the decision and a large percentage are going to choose the biggest name program regardless.
Contacts get the staff in the door but then they have to close. They did a good job selling playing time last year. They expected to sell an up and coming program this year, its not working out and they're probably back to selling playing time. The second recruiting year is always the toughest in a rebuild. Truth is if we get Garrett and another decent player, I'd call the class of 2014 a success.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Solid points, BFC.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I agree BFC. Still, I'm surprised URI isn't recruiting more in NJ, although Rod's explanation could be the reason. But if Hurley isn't going to bring players in from NJ then that seems to be a big hole in his resume.
Preston is not only well known but highly respected in Mich. That's getting him in a lot of gyms and homes.
Carr was the DBO at Rutgers ... not sure he's known as a recruiter.
Murray was at Towson when they brought in one of the best mid-major classes, but how much of that was just Pat Skerry?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

It doesn't freakin' matter where these recruits are going to school, where their hometowns are, etc.,. One target players, an area, whatever, and the recruiters have a product to "sell," and one had better do it better than anyone else.
Three-quarters of the players at New England prep schools aren't from New England, they're from all points of the U.S. and some from foreign countries. The days of a pipeline from one high school to a college are done. Like 25 years ago.
The Hurley name has cache. It always has. It just might not be in New Jersey.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I like Jim Carr, he's a very nice man.
However, I just can't picture him as the recruiting closer.
Don't know much about Murray, except he looks miserable
all the time.
Preston is the real deal. People just like him. He's open without pretense.
Kids and their parents or coaches get that he's genuine.That counts.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I would bet on Pat Skerry being the biggest factor in Towson recruiting. Guy is a beast.
0 x
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

I have heard that Dan is not a closer. He is too honest and straight with the recruits. He also doesn't spend the time stroking the recruits- spending little time during the season visiting and talking compared to the guy North of us.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gotta love that being honest is seen as a weakness in the recruiting game...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Cooley is omnipresent at player's he's recruiting, games and tournaments.
Recruiting is the lifeblood of college basketball.
If it's not a strength in your head coach, that's a problem.
Preston can get Dan's foot in the door, but Dan has to be the one
to close the deal.
It's not dishonest to schmooze a recruit.
Some can, some can't. It's the reason Bob Cousy quit coaching BC.
It was humiliating for an all time NBA legend, to have to kiss some 18 year old kid's
butt, and stroke egos.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Look at Dan's influences: his father, PJ Carlesimo. Not schmoozers. Everyone has their own style. Dan got Martin, so his style can work. And he's not having problems with grades or behavior that others are having (knock on wood).
Babysitting a kid doesn't always work. Cooley has lost recruits even when he went to more of their games than anyone else. I agree, he's a good recruiter, though.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Kevin Tyrone's father was Hassan's assistant coach at Curtis High.
There was a familiarity long before Martin committed to URI.
Bobby and Dan were at a Staten Island school for two years.
Cooley has lost people like Abu, but as we saw with Terrell, there are reasons beyond
the reach of non BCS schools that win out, too often.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I still feel like there will be the one big name recruit that comes in here within the next 2-3 years that really catches everybodys attention. Maybe Terrell would have been that guy. But I still think it happens relatively soon, and sometimes all it takes is that one guy to really start a trend.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Boom!!!! Familiarity matters!!! I think we are all just in the darkest worst place this program will be. Team needs to dig in and fight tooth and nail along with coaches. Sans X this team has to be better with another year, it's common sense young ppl just improve. Fight fight fight. Rhode rhody rhody.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

All the X detractors aside, we're going to miss him,
more than most will know.
He's fearless. Doesn't back down, no matter who we're playing.
Will take the last shot. Will drive to the hoop looking for contact.
Passes very well. Generally tough defender.
Sure, not the best shooting percentage, but valuable, nonetheless.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And one of our best FT shooters to boot.

All I'm going to say on that subject for now, is that PC wasn't a very good FT shooting team last year.

They have the same players this year plus Harris.

Something happened. They worked their asses off to improve, obviously. Their team shooting percentage is up over 10% from last year, so far.

Of our newcomers, Hassan and O really have to step it up from the line next year. Martin has a good release, so he should. O, his release is awful, he may never be much better.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, didn't you say Bobby had the rep as the closer?

If Dan isn't good at it, we're going to find out really soon.

I do think he [Dan] will really lean on Preston to help him.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Kevin Tyrone's father was Hassan's assistant coach at Curtis High.
Cooley has lost people like Abu, but as we saw with Terrell, there are reasons beyond
I still wonder if Terrell would have come here if Bobby didn't leave.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I've thought the same thing too, but from what I've heard, we couldn't promise him some things that he wanted. Who knows what they were?

Plus, I also heard the facilities at Okie State blew him away.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Kevin Tyrone's father was Hassan's assistant coach at Curtis High.
I still wonder if Terrell would have come here if Bobby didn't leave.
Bobby lost most of his fortune before becoming an assistant D1 coach. Wouldn't have helped make Terrell happy.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:I've thought the same thing too, but from what I've heard, we couldn't promise him some things that he wanted. Who knows what they were?

Plus, I also heard the facilities at Okie State blew him away.
0 x