General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 18 MD G Matt Balanc

Unread post by reef »

I trust this staff and their ability to recruit. I think we will be ecstatic with this years class
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

theblueram wrote:Just saying I would hate to see us try and make a deep tournament run with just 2* and 3* recruits.
Ultimately though, I think the staff's evaluation of players, and how they fit together, matters more than what outside recruiting services are grading recruits. We can only judge them based on the recruits so far, which I'd rate as pretty good. Not perfect - they've obviously had some misses on the initial transfers in Hurley's first few years - but I also don't think this is unusual vs. other programs. Nobody bats 1.000 in recruiting, even Duke, UNC, any other big program you want to name. That type of comparison - Hurley's success rate recruiting vs. the rest of the A-10, vs. the rest of NCAA tournament teams - takes a lot of energy to do, if the sample size to do so is even large enough.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I never really get caught up in stars - 4 stars means the big schools were in on the kid early.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The notion that stars mean nothing (or very little) is very false. Yes, there will be guys ranked in the Top 50 or Top 75 who will be busts, and yes, there will be guys in the Top 150 or even Top 200 who will become stars. But the probability of getting a stud or key piece around 150 or 200 is much smaller than landing a guy around 50. The data correlates almost perfectly with this thought.

Over the last 2 4 years cycles (13-17; 12-16), the worst player ranked 48-52 out of the 10 players was Anton Gill, who went to Louisville and then Nebraska (and still has a year of eligibility left). The second worst, at least statistically, is Daniel Ochefu, who became a pretty key piece for Villanova in their frontcourt. You could also probably argue Dominic Artis, a player for Oregon who transferred to UTEP after being booted from the Oregon program, but he did average 10-4-4 between the 2 schools.

Just looking at 148-152 over the same cycle, there were 5 recruits who became nothing (Zach Coleman, Jevon Thomas, Houston Kessler, Brandon Channer, and Josh Fortney - who to be fair I don't think ever played D1). The other 5 guys - #1 Donte Clark who just grad transferred from UMASS to Coastal Carolina, #2 Malik Morgan - averaged 5 and 3 at LSU and transferred to Tulane where he averaged 11 and 6, #3 Junior Etou - transferred from Rutgers to Tulsa, #4 Travis Hammond - played at Long Beach St., #5 Torren Jones - transferred from Missouri where he averaged 2 and 2 to Fresno St. where he averaged 11 and 8.

It's a long-winded way of illustrating the different type of players that typically are found between the two groupings and my guess if that if you went and sampled 73-77 and 198-202, you'd probably find similar differences between the two groups. Ultimately though, if the staff identifies the right guys and are good talent evaluators, they can hopefully eliminate the misses.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:The notion that stars mean nothing (or very little) is very false. Yes, there will be guys ranked in the Top 50 or Top 75 who will be busts, and yes, there will be guys in the Top 150 or even Top 200 who will become stars. But the probability of getting a stud or key piece around 150 or 200 is much smaller than landing a guy around 50. The data correlates almost perfectly with this thought.

Over the last 2 4 years cycles (13-17; 12-16), the worst player ranked 48-52 out of the 10 players was Anton Gill, who went to Louisville and then Nebraska (and still has a year of eligibility left). The second worst, at least statistically, is Daniel Ochefu, who became a pretty key piece for Villanova in their frontcourt. You could also probably argue Dominic Artis, a player for Oregon who transferred to UTEP after being booted from the Oregon program, but he did average 10-4-4 between the 2 schools.

Just looking at 148-152 over the same cycle, there were 5 recruits who became nothing (Zach Coleman, Jevon Thomas, Houston Kessler, Brandon Channer, and Josh Fortney - who to be fair I don't think ever played D1). The other 5 guys - #1 Donte Clark who just grad transferred from UMASS to Coastal Carolina, #2 Malik Morgan - averaged 5 and 3 at LSU and transferred to Tulane where he averaged 11 and 6, #3 Junior Etou - transferred from Rutgers to Tulsa, #4 Travis Hammond - played at Long Beach St., #5 Torren Jones - transferred from Missouri where he averaged 2 and 2 to Fresno St. where he averaged 11 and 8.

It's a long-winded way of illustrating the different type of players that typically are found between the two groupings and my guess if that if you went and sampled 73-77 and 198-202, you'd probably find similar differences between the two groups. Ultimately though, if the staff identifies the right guys and are good talent evaluators, they can hopefully eliminate the misses.
Where is Kris Munroe ranked?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:The notion that stars mean nothing (or very little) is very false. Yes, there will be guys ranked in the Top 50 or Top 75 who will be busts, and yes, there will be guys in the Top 150 or even Top 200 who will become stars. But the probability of getting a stud or key piece around 150 or 200 is much smaller than landing a guy around 50. The data correlates almost perfectly with this thought.

What's your point? I'm not worried about talent on PC's roster. They had a Top 50 PG who will be a freshman this year (Langford), a Top 50 SG who will be a freshman next year (Reeves), a Top 100 F who will be a sophomore this year (Diallo), a Top 100 F who will be a freshman this year (Watson), a Top 125 C who will be a freshman this year (Dickens), and are also still heavily recruiting a Top 50 G (Duke), a Top 75 G (Locke), and a Top 75 F (Days). Not every guy you recruit is going to be a 4-star, Top 75/Top 100 guy, I just wouldn't feel as confident if Cooley was recruiting 11-13 Kris Monroe's.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Cooley is kicking our ass when it comes to recruiting. We land Tate and Harris and it's closer.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:

What's your point? I'm not worried about talent on PC's roster. They had a Top 50 PG who will be a freshman this year (Langford), a Top 50 SG who will be a freshman next year (Reeves), a Top 100 F who will be a sophomore this year (Diallo), a Top 100 F who will be a freshman this year (Watson), a Top 125 C who will be a freshman this year (Dickens), and are also still heavily recruiting a Top 50 G (Duke), a Top 75 G (Locke), and a Top 75 F (Days). Not every guy you recruit is going to be a 4-star, Top 75/Top 100 guy, I just wouldn't feel as confident if Cooley was recruiting 11-13 Kris Monroe's.
Your basing your facts as if the ratings services are 100% accurate. Anybody with common sense knows how that isn't the case.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:

OK. Nowhere in your long-winded post did you say there was room on the team for lower-ranked players or, like Bryce Cotton, unranked players.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote:Cooley is kicking our ass when it comes to recruiting. We land Tate and Harris and it's closer.
Makes no sense to judge a recruiting class in August.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:Cooley is kicking our ass when it comes to recruiting. We land Tate and Harris and it's closer.
Makes no sense to judge a recruiting class in August.
Agreed but he has now brought in two top 50 players, two top 100 players, and a couple right outside the top 100 the past couple years.

We haven't had one since Terrell.

The good news is I think that will change with our class this year. We certainly need it.

Step 1 is Tate.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

There are at least 50 top-100 2016 guys that I wouldn't trade Dowtin or Langevine for, so who cares?
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Hurley has done a good job recruiting. Cooley has done a good job recruiting. We're all going to be ok.
4 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

adam914 wrote:Hurley has done a good job recruiting. Cooley has done a good job recruiting. We're all going to be ok.
100%. I'm not saying "ha Cooley has got all these highly rated guys...what an idiot!" He's done a fantastic job selling Providence College, which isn't an easy thing to do, IMO. He gets a ton of credit from me for that. But really, in evaluating the job a coach has done recruiting, you should forget about stars and rankings and look at results. Which is why I don't get why our fans are complaining. (OK, that's a lie, I do get it - it's because our fans love to complain - but I strongly disagree with it.)
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
adam914 wrote:Hurley has done a good job recruiting. Cooley has done a good job recruiting. We're all going to be ok.
100%. I'm not saying "ha Cooley has got all these highly rated guys...what an idiot!" He's done a fantastic job selling Providence College, which isn't an easy thing to do, IMO. He gets a ton of credit from me for that. But really, in evaluating the job a coach has done recruiting, you should forget about stars and rankings and look at results. Which is why I don't get why our fans are complaining. (OK, that's a lie, I do get it - it's because our fans love to complain - but I strongly disagree with it.)
Right, I'm with you on that. My reply appeared right below your comment but wasnt directed at you at all. Just more of a general statement about the comparisons being made.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I too think it is a weird sell for PC. So Cooley must get credit. Some types here hark on the budgets. PC wasn't always recruiting at its recent level.

I feel like we are recruiting above our 05-07 level, especially some of our stars/right on par with it.

We really have a good thing going that can explode into a run that will change things.

People on this board and in the A10 always think the team that was good the past year or two is unbeatable and everyone is chasing them. I think we are on the verge of that and depending on the next chapter could actually make that true in more of a sustained Xavier from 2006-13, than a SLU from 2011-13.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I agree. I guess saying Cooley has kicked our ass in recruiting is going overboard, but we have lost to them seven times in seven years.

I do think we will beat them this year and I love our chances of landed some studs in the 18 class.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Both schools doing really well. I think we are going to see both schools in the top 25 polls at the same time in the next few years
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... its-to-uri

Summary of some of the current targets from the projo article on Dana Tate commitment:

The Rams have four scholarships remaining and are chasing a host of targets, chief among them four-star Maryland power forward Jermaine Harris. URI is in deep water attempting to secure the services of the 6-foot-9 standout, competing with the likes of Kansas, Miami, West Virginia, Maryland, South Carolina and Xavier.

The Rams are also on the final lists of Maryland point guards Brendan Adams and Matthew Balanc and remain involved with New York point guard Anthony Nelson and Pennsylvania shooting guard Tyrese Martin. URI is also actively recruiting New York forward Souleymane Koureissi, Massachusetts big man Chris Doherty, North Carolina forward Joel Ntambwe and Massachusetts wing Philmon Gebrewhit, Tate’s Expressions teammate, among others.
0 x
Vinstu
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Vinstu »

The Tate signing should help our case with going after Jermaine Harris. Apparently we have a good shot at landing the kid, but he's stated that he won't sign until around November. It'll be interesting if Rhody takes the risk of waiting on him until then, especially as he continues to blow up. Keep an eye out for Philmion Gebrewhit, Tyrese Martin, and Anthony Nelson to be the next pieces of the class.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote:With changes in staff and further evaluation, some of the offers aren't really offers any more. Here's some that URI seems to be actively watching:

GUARDS:
Jeenathan Williams, NY
Brendan Adams, MD
Matt Balanc, MD
Anthony Nelson, KY
Mezzie Offurum, MD
James Bouknight, NY
Tyrese Martin Pa.

FORWARDS:
Dana Tate, Calif. (URI)
Philmon Gebrewhit, Mass.
Jermaine Harris, MD
Souleymane Koureissi, NY
Samba Diallo, NJ
Jack Clark, Pa.

I'm sure there are more.
One down
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm still wondering if we are recruiting Kiyon Boyd, the 4* SG/SF from DC. Not only does he follow several of our players on twitter(and not just the DC guys), he also follows Dana Tate.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote:Dowtin, Fatts and Thompson
We don't need guards! Only recruit bigs!!!!

(Sarcasm)
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just to keep things in perspective, our best recruiting class included 5 star and number 1 recruit Lamar Odom.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Tate is a big first domino in what I believe will be the recruiting class that either keeps Hurley here or see him leave at the end of the season. No shock to me to see Archie Miller leave after the most winning senior class graduate. If this class doesn't fill out well, bye bye DH. Here's to hoping we keep the ball rolling.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I've that that before too.....we get 2 or 3 more of these guys on our list [imo getting Harris is HUGE] then it looks good down the road.
1 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

theblueram wrote:Just to keep things in perspective, our best recruiting class included 5 star and number 1 recruit Lamar Odom.
Do we really need a public history lesson on the unconventional circumstances surrounding Odom's recruitment?
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

God, I hope not.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

3wisemen wrote:
theblueram wrote:Just to keep things in perspective, our best recruiting class included 5 star and number 1 recruit Lamar Odom.
Do we really need a public history lesson on the unconventional circumstances surrounding Odom's recruitment?
Not really, just letting those who are not in the know that we landed the Number 1 recruit in the Nation in 97.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

that was a very quick delete
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm still wondering if we are recruiting Kiyon Boyd, the 4* SG/SF from DC. Not only does he follow several of our players on twitter(and not just the DC guys), he also follows Dana Tate.
Wasn't aware URI was involved
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

What about Quickley. We still show up on ESPN with him.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

So we obviously know the staff does a tremendous job evualating talent, their success rate to days has been down right impressive. So we'll obviously trust their evualuation during this critically important class but as fans we like to have fun anyway so who are your four remaining prospects that we're involved in that will get you most excited about and in what order?
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Jermaine Harris .... a SG aND a Pg.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Harris and Tyrese Martin also Balanc
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

They'd like to get two early commitments from the group of Adams, Balanc, Nelson , Martin, Williams. They'll wait to see what Harris does. If they don't get him they'll got to someone like Doherty. They'll keep the last scholarship open for a transfer.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

We need a new thread for 2019 PF Aiden Igiehon.
Anthony Nelson's teammate on the NY Lightning.
VC says we offered.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Have we signed a good guy in the spring since Terrell?

Just wondering because waiting on Harris through November when you consider there is the spring signing period. = Jarvis and Jared (Really good haul).
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

GUARDS:
Jeenathan Williams, NY
Brendan Adams, MD
Matt Balanc, MD
Anthony Nelson, KY
Mezzie Offurum, MD
James Bouknight, NY
Tyrese Martin Pa.
Amir Harris MD

FORWARDS:
Dana Tate, Calif. (URI)
Philmon Gebrewhit, Mass.
Jermaine Harris, MD
Souleymane Koureissi, NY
Samba Diallo, NJ (XX)
Jack Clark, Pa. (XX)
Chris Doherty Mass.
Last edited by Iggy1979 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:GUARDS:
Jeenathan Williams, NY
Brendan Adams, MD
Matt Balanc, MD
Anthony Nelson, KY
Mezzie Offurum, MD
James Bouknight, NY
Tyrese Martin Pa.

FORWARDS:
Dana Tate, Calif. (URI)
Philmon Gebrewhit, Mass.
Jermaine Harris, MD
Souleymane Koureissi, NY
Samba Diallo, NJ (XX)
Jack Clark, Pa.
Chris Doherty Mass.
Diallo is out. We aren't in his final 5.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Oh, maybe that's what the XX is.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

what about Joel Ntambwe? Aren't we still a contender for him?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Shall we keep the known official visit dates on the first post of this thread? Like we do for our upcoming schedule in the schedule thread? Just a thought.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Has anyone here seen Noah Fernandes play? He'll be a junior at Tabor this year and he plays for Expressions. I saw him for the first time in a game in Fall River last night. Very good player. I wouldn't mind if we were involved with him.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NOHEHOH?

No
One
Has
Ever
Heard
Of
Him
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Kid looks like he's 12.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

CTRhody - can you please move your post to his thread?
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:Has anyone here seen Noah Fernandes play? He'll be a junior at Tabor this year and he plays for Expressions. I saw him for the first time in a game in Fall River last night. Very good player. I wouldn't mind if we were involved with him.
Noah is a great kid, remains to be seen if he's an A10 kid though, I would assume he'd be on the radar based on how this winter goes.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NorthernRamFan wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Has anyone here seen Noah Fernandes play? He'll be a junior at Tabor this year and he plays for Expressions. I saw him for the first time in a game in Fall River last night. Very good player. I wouldn't mind if we were involved with him.
Noah is a great kid, remains to be seen if he's an A10 kid though, I would assume he'd be on the radar based on how this winter goes.
Here's a few clips from last weekend in Fall River.
0 x