General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by Running Ram »

We probably can't get PF's because the word is out that this is the last place to be if you want to play in the post. That's a little tongue in cheek, but five years of data could support such a theory. I mean if you're good enough to play most of your career out of position you might wander over to Kingston as a 3 willing to guard a 5.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

KI is a 3/4, Martin has only ever been a 4, even though we were sold the idea he would become a good 3, they've both probably played more 5 than 4 in their time here and certainly neither of them has logged 30 total minutes at the 3.

KI could have killed it here if allowed to play more 3 than 5.

We don't need the top recruit at 5 and 5's absolutely do not have to stretch the defense, certainly not if your 1 - 4 does stretch the defense.

It's beyond comprehensible at this point why we don't have at least two guys on this team that fit the 5 mold (not in height or any other physical aspect, but in post mentality). To get rebounds one either crashes or carves out space, 3's crash, 5's carve space.

Right now our best option at the 5 is, without question in my mind, Langevine, he should be on the court as often as possible and if that means we have to roll with 2 guards, KI, Martin and Langevine so be it. Now please tell me all about how we don't have enough post players to have the three on the court together for any length of time and I'll ask "who's fault is that?"
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Is recruiting going to pick up or is just not the right time of year? I don't remember it being this quiet aside from the one point guard who signed.
1 x
GO RAMS
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Shakur Juiston

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Shakur Juiston, a 6-foot-7 forward from Hutchinson (KS) Community College, continues to play well and gain attention from high-major programs.
The former Paterson (N.J.) Eastside star is averaging 15.6 points, 10.7 rebounds and 1.9 blocks for national power Hutchinson (15-0)
Illinois coach John Groce came to see Juiston last week, while Iowa State, Seton Hall, Rhode Island, Arizona State, Rutgers, La Salle, UTEP, St. Joe’s, Ole Miss and DePaul are also involved.

“Shakur is a walking double-double,” Hutchinson assistant Jay Cyriac said. “He has an unbelievable motor and does everything you need to win. He won a lot of games for Paterson Eastside and at the Peach Jam with the NJ Playaz and was an important player last season as a freshman. He’s a tremendous athlete, and better kid.”
The Newark, N.J., native is playing this season as a tribute to his brother Shadir, who was shot and killed a few blocks from their New Jersey home on Jan. 21, 2011.
As far as recruiting goes, Juiston plans to focus on graduating from Hutchinson and then will take visits in the spring. He did visit Seton Hall over the Christmas break.
“He’s not like most of the kids today who need to put up their recruiting status on their social media,” said Playaz director Jimmy Salmon. “He’s old school, he just takes care of business. When he’s ready to announce, he will. He’s not interested in giving everybody a play-by-play.”
As for his skillset, Salmon said: “He’s an old-school basketball. He has exceptional IQ for the game and can defend the 2, 3 and the 4 effectively.”
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Intriguing prospect given his suitors. I like walking double doubles.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Sounds good to me...I think we will need some front court help next season.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Think we are probably looking for a guy like this or a 5th year guy.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Does anybody think it will matter who we bring in?

They'll play stupid basketball soon enough, and shoot 40% from the FT line.

We can turn talent into stiffs in no time.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Remember when people were saying Dan was limited in who he could recruit due to the APR issues?

Well that reason won't fly anymore.

So where are the bigs? SF's? Shooters other than one year guys?

Yeah we got bigs....but can they play at all? Best we could get?

Other programs must be having a field day against us on the recruiting trail....coach can't coach....players don't care......
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yeah! Why hasn't Dan filled his last scholarship yet! Why hasn't he gotten the four year grad transfer he can't legally sign yet! What is he doing!
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I would be excitedly for next year if Abu graduates early from NC State and comes here as a grad transfer. Let's make that happen!
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I have a feeling there will be more than one spot to fill. Maybe 2 or 3.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Again, if i'm Christon Thompson, I'm otta here.
Kid has talent, and he has 3,000 guards in front of him,
and one more on the way.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yeah, Thompson and Layssard have come a long way for, in one case, to not play much, and in the other, to not play at all. We'll see. I have no idea if anybody will transfer, but it wouldn't surprise me.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Dan's really mishandled Layssard, just throwing away a year of eligibility
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

With Jarvis back and Dowtin really coming on, there aren't many minutes for Christion. He only got 3 today. lowest of the year by far. And Rod is right, add Fatts next year and even less minutes for the guards to split.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If someone has to go in order to bring in a couple of transfers and or 5th year players.....

especially if they're bigs and look like they can really help us......
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Does anybody here follow JC ball? Any prospects 6'8" or bigger that we might be interested in?
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:Again, if i'm Christon Thompson, I'm otta here.
Kid has talent, and he has 3,000 guards in front of him,
and one more on the way.
That's ok. DH plays 4,000.
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Dan's really mishandled Layssard, just throwing away a year of eligibility
My concern is what does it say about Tertsea if he got redshirted and Layssard didn't? Is Tertsea that much behind Layssard skill wise or did the staff immediately realize Layssard is not going to be the player they were expecting? If the coaching staff's reason to not redshirt Layssard was due to possible frontcourt injuries then both those guys will have to come a long way to contribute.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Zags reporting that we are recruiting a 2017 big from Montverde - 6'10" kid with what looks like some ability to play in transition
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Perfect time to make this run and dance. Pay attention class of '18.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yea I expect this to hopefully be a new era of Rhody basketball and not just one good year. Lets get some recruits signed ay.
0 x
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Yea I expect this to hopefully be a new era of Rhody basketball and not just one good year. Lets get some recruits signed ay.
Obviously, I think they'll sign a couple more recruits, since they'll have some spots open between graduations and transfers. (No inside information here, but pretty much every program loses 1 to 3 players a year now.) But the foundation looks strong, with Cyril and Dotwin contributing as freshmen, Garrett and Terrell coming back, and guys like Thompson and Akele not even able to get consistent playing time.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

rhodylaw wrote:Zags reporting that we are recruiting a 2017 big from Montverde - 6'10" kid with what looks like some ability to play in transition
Which kid? Is it big Sandro? I saw him this summer.... Solid skill set but definitely not a low post banger. High ceiling. Skinny but skilled left handed. He is more of a stretch 4, who can put it on the deck and shoot it from 3.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Thompson has had an injury riddled year. I wouldn't be surprised if he is back.

You have to consider that Dan put him in the game over and over. Thompson did what he wanted out there. A little foul trouble, cold shot, and a few injuries held him back. It is not the program.

This isn't your traditional guy that transfers because the program has pushed him out or a star has jumped in front of him.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

josephski wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Dan's really mishandled Layssard, just throwing away a year of eligibility
My concern is what does it say about Tertsea if he got redshirted and Layssard didn't? Is Tertsea that much behind Layssard skill wise or did the staff immediately realize Layssard is not going to be the player they were expecting? If the coaching staff's reason to not redshirt Layssard was due to possible frontcourt injuries then both those guys will have to come a long way to contribute.
Don't dismiss the idea that they are trying to stagger the classes a little bit to get some consistency, rather than have the classes kind of lumpy where you're losing/replacing a third of your roster every other year and in the other years you only have one spot open up.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Heading into this season, Skerry was concerned enough about losing graduate student William Adala Moto, who had transferred from Wake Forest, that he hired his brother in an off-court coaching role. Adala Moto was happy at Towson after averaging 13.9 points per game as a junior, but Skerry wanted to take no risks. “I would have considered hiring him,” Skerry said of Parfait Bitee, Adala Moto’s brother who played at Rhode Island when Skerry was an assistant there. “But his resume was more attractive to me because of the fear and paranoia. If you’re not on alert and you don’t talk about that stuff as a staff at this level you’re out of your mind.”
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... tournament
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
Next Saturday, the 25th at CCRI. Lots of kids we're recruiting. .....David Duke, AJ Reeves, Cole Swider, Akok Akok, Preston Santos....plus a lot of other top players...Sid Wilson, Wabissa Bede, Kimani Lawrence, Aaron Wheeler, Tomas Murphy, Terrell Brown.....hopefully URI is still playing that day. If not, a good chance to see some of our recruits. .
Last edited by Billyboy78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Who we have and who we're looking at.
http://verbalcommits.com/schools/rhode-island
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hope to see us involved with a LOT more bigs for 2018-19.

As for next season....there's rumored to be some under the radar transfers and jucos we're involved with.

Spring signing period is almost here already....3 weeks away.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Not saying we have any interest or connection, but I saw this kid a couple of times, very talented offensively. I was impressed. Brockton native.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote:
josephski wrote:
Don't dismiss the idea that they are trying to stagger the classes a little bit to get some consistency, rather than have the classes kind of lumpy where you're losing/replacing a third of your roster every other year and in the other years you only have one spot open up.
I have been thinking about how well the classes are staggered right now without any changes.

in 2 years we will have Fatts sophomore, Dowtin junior, Thompson senior, along with the recruits we get going forward, which it must be assumed we can recruit better having delivered on so many promises from New England to Detroit and down to DC.

We have good ambassadors in Terrell/Iverson in New England, then in the DMV/Phila it will be Dowtin and Fatts.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Michael Porter Jr. is asking for a release from his Washington commitment. Hey, I can dream.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Problem is Cuonzo Martin is adding Michael Porter Sr as one of his assistant coaches. Michael Jr and Jontay should end up Tigers.
1 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

I think this was mentioned somewhere, not sure where though.

Duke's Chase Jeter will be transferring out. Will have 2 years of eligibility after sitting out a year.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ext-season
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Shaolin Swat wrote:I think this was mentioned somewhere, not sure where though.

Duke's Chase Jeter will be transferring out. Will have 2 years of eligibility after sitting out a year.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ext-season
injury aside, wow would he be perfect for us.
0 x
GO RAMS
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Honestly, where the program is now, a lot of these transfers don't excite me. Look at the trajectory of our transfers under Hurley: Bigby, Four, KI, Stan. Do we want a player who washed out at Va, Pitt or even Duke? Maybe, Maybe not. Jeter played 8 minutes against us when Duke was short of bodies and did nothing.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

IIRC, Jeter got injured the day before we played Duke (when they played Penn State) and had been questionable to even suit up against us.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Saying he wants to play closer to home, which is Nevada.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Iggy1979 wrote:Honestly, where the program is now, a lot of these transfers don't excite me. Look at the trajectory of our transfers under Hurley: Bigby, Four, KI, Stan. Do we want a player who washed out at Va, Pitt or even Duke? Maybe, Maybe not. Jeter played 8 minutes against us when Duke was short of bodies and did nothing.
KI and Stan became NCAA tourney studs and Four was a major reason for us being competitive last season. Biggie was confusing. Overall, not that bad.
3 x
GO RAMS
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

How about this guy: Noah Dickerson requests release, wants to transfer

http://www.espn.com/recruiting/basketba ... on-huskies
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Honestly, where the program is now, a lot of these transfers don't excite me. Look at the trajectory of our transfers under Hurley: Bigby, Four, KI, Stan. Do we want a player who washed out at Va, Pitt or even Duke? Maybe, Maybe not. Jeter played 8 minutes against us when Duke was short of bodies and did nothing.
KI and Stan became NCAA tourney studs and Four was a major reason for us being competitive last season. Biggie was confusing. Overall, not that bad.
I agree. My point is the transfers got better as the program got better. Hurley is in a position now to get a good transfer.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think the other issue to though is don't we really need someone who can play right away? I mean a stud that can play in '18 wouldn't be bad, but next year seems to be the more pressing concern.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Iggy1979 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:
I agree. My point is the transfers got better as the program got better. Hurley is in a position now to get a good transfer.
Ahh okay misunderstood your point.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote:I think the other issue to though is don't we really need someone who can play right away? I mean a stud that can play in '18 wouldn't be bad, but next year seems to be the more pressing concern.
Hoping there are two spots. Expecting Thompson to transfer.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I'd want a monster like Hass or Swaneger from Purdue.
0 x
GO RAMS
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Like Hass, Swanigan is ending his great career with a
very sub-par game.
They both deserved better.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.