General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by RF1 »

While many have been giving the staff a lot of credit with the recent verbals, I think the current players also deserve much credit. From the comments of our commitments, it seems our players made quite an impression making these young men feel welcome and helped influence them to want to be part of the team.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Keeping track of the local kids. Top ranked freshmen in the state. The Swider kid is one to watch, 6'3" shooting guard and still growing. Note who is at #3.

http://ripreps.weebly.com/class-of-2018.html
Yeah, I said in that post that he's still growing. He's 6'5" now. Chris Herren Jr. is shooting up too.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote:While many have been giving the staff a lot of credit with the recent verbals, I think the current players also deserve much credit. From the comments of our commitments, it seems our players made quite an impression making these young men feel welcome and helped influence them to want to be part of the team.
Solid point. Every one of them seems to comment on the team being like a family and very welcoming. Something they want to be a part of.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:
RF1 wrote:While many have been giving the staff a lot of credit with the recent verbals, I think the current players also deserve much credit. From the comments of our commitments, it seems our players made quite an impression making these young men feel welcome and helped influence them to want to be part of the team.
Solid point. Every one of them seems to comment on the team being like a family and very welcoming. Something they want to be a part of.
Which all circles back to the Coaching

Chicken and the Egg
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

UMass got commitments from Jarreau and Gresham. Huge gets for them.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:UMass got commitments from Jarreau and Gresham. Huge gets for them.
Unfortunately for them Kellogg will probably be their coach for all four years at UMass.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:UMass got commitments from Jarreau and Gresham. Huge gets for them.
how and why? umass seems like the most boring and unattractive program to me.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TruePoint wrote:
They don't call it "ZOOMASS" nothing. One of the recruits even tweeted "we have committed to.....ZOOMASS."
0 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
They don't call it "ZOOMASS" nothing. One of the recruits even tweeted "we have committed to.....ZOOMASS."
If you're into partying and stuff, though, wouldn't Miami be a better place for that than Amherst?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

For comparison sake, what were people saying when EC Matthews committed to a URI program that was coming over a 7 win season?

Lots can go into a commitment, these two may have wanted a change of scenary, instant playing time, and to be program changers.
0 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Of course. I'm just always amazed anyone would choose any of that stuff at UMass. It must be their colors or something, but I just find them so boring.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Good for UMass, good for the conference.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I'm getting worried that we haven't got a 2017 commitment yet.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I can't even entertain the thought because that leads us to thinking about a team with no EC and no Hassan, and I haven't even dealt with no Gilvydas and TJ yet.

If everyone finishes out- and I think an if is still warranted- they have some nice class balance.

McGlynn, Onyekaba, Watson
Iverson, Martin, Matthews
Berry, Garrett, Robinson, Terrell
Akele, Thompson
Dowtin, Langevine, Layssard, Tertsea
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

One of UMass' commits mentioned their top-notch sports medicine program as a reason for his commitment, a program that they don't actually have. But UMass is supposedly still in good shape with Bruce Brown (Top 50 SG) and Chris Baldwin (3 Star PF), so they could possibly have a monster recruiting class.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Without actually having any specific numbers, it seems that the A10 is getting more and more 3 star and even 4 star recruits lately.

And it seems like there are more guys committing in the fall for the following year, rather than waiting for the spring signing period.

All good for us......
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Having solid anecdotal knowledge of Umass and UM(miami) there is no comparison. They aren't the same in the least bit just in terms of institutions. UM is private and very serious about raising its academic profile, which is already quite serious. This on top of all the obvious differences of the city life, weather, blah, blah....

Miami also hosts NBA players regularly for open run with the UM basketball team. The Heat, the Cavs, the whole NBA drops in at miami to play with the college team.

MY guess is that they want to be big fish in a small pond no possibility of being recruited over. Scared of the bright lights. Prefer west mass to South Florida? Despite being from Louisiana, which idk what that means.

Im shocked by this and very happy for the A10. I'm sick of the southern A10 fans/media/ppl thinking the league is all about them.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Looks like our rivalry with UMass should get very interesting for the next few years.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Good talent on both squads.

Better talent for us on the bench. As in coaching.

We win.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

BFC wrote:One of UMass' commits mentioned their top-notch sports medicine program as a reason for his commitment, a program that they don't actually have. But UMass is supposedly still in good shape with Bruce Brown (Top 50 SG) and Chris Baldwin (3 Star PF), so they could possibly have a monster recruiting class.
Baldwin just verballed to UMass.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UMass has surprisingly had a very good recruiting period. This is probably the best class Kellogg has ever recruited to Amherst. It comes after a down year for the program. How did this happen now? Could their new practice facility already be paying off dividends? What else is different there to have changed the dynamics?
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

RF1 wrote:UMass has surprisingly had a very good recruiting period. This is probably the best class Kellogg has ever recruited to Amherst. It comes after a down year for the program. How did this happen now? Could their new practice facility already be paying off dividends? What else is different there to have changed the dynamics?
Definitely possible that the practice facility is paying dividends. I'd guess that Kellogg can sell a lot of available playing time to these guys.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What a recruiting class. 4 star (ESPN) big man to an A10 school...I didn't think that happens...JK.

What is the amount UMass is giving players with that new NCAA rule? Could that also be a factor?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RIFan wrote:What a recruiting class. 4 star (ESPN) big man to an A10 school...I didn't think that happens...JK.

What is the amount UMass is giving players with that new NCAA rule? Could that also be a factor?

Since they are paying out to more sports, the UMass payout is actually much less than URI's for hoops.

URI (basketball only) $3,194/yr
PC (basketball & hockey) $1,800/yr
UMass (all athletic scholarship athletes-all sports) $1,600/yr
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Money given out to athletes isn't based on how many you pay, it's based on the cost of attendance differential.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It is amazing how little people seem to understand the stipend system.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Thats funny URI gives more than both of them?!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RF1 wrote:UMass has surprisingly had a very good recruiting period. This is probably the best class Kellogg has ever recruited to Amherst. It comes after a down year for the program. How did this happen now? Could their new practice facility already be paying off dividends? What else is different there to have changed the dynamics?
Well Calipari likes their new practice facility.

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Money given out to athletes isn't based on how many you pay, it's based on the cost of attendance differential.

And those numbers are manipulated to fit a budget.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Not an athletics budget, that number is for every student at a university.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Money given out to athletes isn't based on how many you pay, it's based on the cost of attendance differential.

The stipend amounts aren't set by the athletic department, and there is no incentive for the university to manipulate the numbers, since a higher cost of attendance amount given by the university will negatively impact enrollment in the general student population. No school - not even football factory SEC schools - is going to jeopardize their competitiveness in the market for students in order to give athletes a tiny bit more money.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:
RF1 wrote:

The stipend amounts aren't set by the athletic department, and there is no incentive for the university to manipulate the numbers, since a higher cost of attendance amount given by the university will negatively impact enrollment in the general student population. No school - not even football factory SEC schools - is going to jeopardize their competitiveness in the market for students in order to give athletes a tiny bit more money.

If that is the case, why then is URI's stipend so much more than UMass and PC? Is the COA at URI really nearly double than UMass? If so, please explain how?

Numbers are numbers. They can always be manipulated to meet an objective.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't how the COA at each school is determined. I believe each school is on its own to determine its own number, and each probably uses a proprietary method. All I can tell you is that if URI's stipend amount is more than PC and UMass, then it is because the COA number it gives to all applicants and potential applicants is more than the COA number PC and UMass give. Of course the schools manipulate the numbers, I just don't think any school would manipulate them based on athletics - the competition for students is too fierce.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

TruePoint wrote:I just don't think any school would manipulate them based on athletics - the competition for students is too fierce.
Right, and its just a coincidence that Alabama's number went up $2,500 from the spring to the fall after Nick Saban complained about it.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

OK, maybe Alabama would do that. We'll see if that is a trend that spreads outside of the south, where schools seem to exist so that they may have football. Maybe I'm wrong, I just think it's more likely that the way the stipend is determined will change, rather than seeing massive COA differences. Speaking as a URI alum, I wouldn't want us to increase our COA number in order to give a little more to athletes - I'd rather try to be competitive for students in the general student population.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:I don't how the COA at each school is determined. I believe each school is on its own to determine its own number, and each probably uses a proprietary method. All I can tell you is that if URI's stipend amount is more than PC and UMass, then it is because the COA number it gives to all applicants and potential applicants is more than the COA number PC and UMass give. Of course the schools manipulate the numbers, I just don't think any school would manipulate them based on athletics - the competition for students is too fierce.
So you are saying URI gives out a number for COA to all potential applicants that makes it much more expensive than other schools such as UMass that it competes with for students. That would not seem to be something that would help attract students in a competitive marketplace.

The list below shows the stipends that schools are paying athletes. The numbers vary wildly and do not make a lot of sense.

Tennessee $5,666
Auburn $5,586
Louisville $5,202
Mississippi State $5,126
Texas Tech $5,100
Penn State $4,788
Texas Christian $4,700
Oklahoma $4,614
Oklahoma State $4,560
Mississippi $4,500
VCU $4,100
Florida State $3,884
Clemson $3,608
Rhode Island $3,194
Minnesota $2,194
West Virginia $1,971
Notre Dame $1,950
Iowa $1,938
Michigan State $1,872
Providence $1,800
Purdue $1,760
Georgia Tech $1,720
Syracuse $1,632
UMass $1,600
Southern California $1,580
Boston College $1,400
Richmond $1,300

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015 ... story.html
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I don't how the COA at each school is determined. I believe each school is on its own to determine its own number, and each probably uses a proprietary method. All I can tell you is that if URI's stipend amount is more than PC and UMass, then it is because the COA number it gives to all applicants and potential applicants is more than the COA number PC and UMass give. Of course the schools manipulate the numbers, I just don't think any school would manipulate them based on athletics - the competition for students is too fierce.
So you are saying URI gives out a number for COA to all potential applicants that makes it much more expensive than other schools such as UMass that it competes with for students. That would not seem to be something that would help attract students in a competitive marketplace.
Yes, they are required by federal law to provide that number. Like I said, I am not privy to how the number is calculated, but any school worth anything isn't going to manipulate that number in order to give their athletics program a recruiting advantage and make themselves less competitive in the market for students. I'm sure the numbers are manipulated for other reasons, it would just be terribly short-sighted to manipulate them for sports.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I could only skim that for now, but I saw three schools mentioned: Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina. Like I said, I'm not surprised you'd see this in the south, where schools exist to have football programs. But I would be surprised to see that same thing happen in other parts of the country.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

TruePoint wrote:
I could only skim that for now, but I saw three schools mentioned: Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina. Like I said, I'm not surprised you'd see this in the south, where schools exist to have football programs. But I would be surprised to see that same thing happen in other parts of the country.
Well, originally you said you didn't think any school would do it, now its just schools in the south. You don't think Ohio State will raise their's to keep up with the SEC schools? Of course they will, and everyone in the Big 10 will follow and on and on it goes.
By the way, any prospective student who thinks Kingston is going to be more expensive than Boston based on what the financial aid offices tell them should be automatically rejected.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Originally I underestimated the depravity of the SEC, which I should know better. But I honestly don't think you'll see a widespread manipulation of these figures. We'll see, I guess.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Back to UMass for a second... they have the 25th-best 2016 recruiting class in the country, according to Scout. Good for the A-10.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... s-rankings
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jaylen Fisher just committed to UNLV. Easy guy to root for.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Easy come, easy go…..

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 2h2 hours ago
2017 Providence commit Javon Taylor of Beaver Country Day (MD) re-opens his recruitment, his dad announces.

https://twitter.com/MauriceTaylor50/sta ... 5465979904
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

We didn't want him anyway......not enough stars....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bressler3south wrote:Easy come, easy go…..

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 2h2 hours ago
2017 Providence commit Javon Taylor of Beaver Country Day (MD) re-opens his recruitment, his dad announces.

https://twitter.com/MauriceTaylor50/sta ... 5465979904
I think they got a verbal from the kid his freshman year - been crickets on him ever since
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

The friars are cleaning up on the recruiting trail ..... Our signees are still not good enough for them
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Episode 2 of the series SLAM is doing on St. Anthony (the Friars you want to root for). This one focuses on Shyquan Gibbs, who committed to NJIT today. Jagan Mosely is also briefly in it.

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I didn't know where else to put this, but I had a dream last night where I was so great at making friends that Dan wanted me to come with him on the recruiting trail after this 5 star stud named Spoonie Wallace.

Legit the best dream of my life. I don't remember if we closed on him or not, but the 3 of us became best friends.

I figured someone else on here would appreciate this, and feel my pain of waking up and figuring out this didn't actually happen.

GOOD GOD IS IT BASKETBALL SEASON YET, kinda going nuts over here.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Spoonie Wallace is an excellent dream name
0 x