General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

PC fans also said they wanted Young more than Langevine.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Iggy1979 wrote:PC fans also said they wanted Young more than Langevine.
And Maliek White over Jeff Dowtin
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And Sly Williams over......oh, never mind.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I do like Diablo tho
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bigappleram wrote:A bit too early to tell, especially bc MAL isn't getting much burn. That said, I have a hard time loving PGs that can't shoot it decently and MAL can't shoot. It is always a huge limitation at that position, limits the ceiling no matter how great a penetrator and passer you may be if you are not a threat from behind the line. I think his FT % is below 50%. That is not the best indicator of things to come.
I would share the same concerns as you, but MAL is most certainly a potential play. He has good measurables and good athleticism, but ultimately has not had a great feel for the game, and it doesn't help that he's playing behind Cartwright which means there is not a ton of minutes to play through those warts. I think the same things could be said for many of PC's recruits for next year -- They are guys who have bright futures but also need to grow into their bodies and their games. There are very few skills that I think easily translate from HS to college - shooting would be one, elite rebounding position would be another, and maybe elite defensive intensity. But for the most part, not going to burn guys with speed, not going to beat people with athleticism, need to learn how to play different defenses (pick and roll, etc), need to learn spacing, how to box out and create defensive positions, how to make strong passes, etc. Game plays a lot faster at this level, and it often takes high-potential players longer time to realize that (assuming they do realize that).
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I was impressed with MAL watching him play v URI but that's only one game

Also impressed with Nate Watson he's not coming around either ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:A bit too early to tell, especially bc MAL isn't getting much burn. That said, I have a hard time loving PGs that can't shoot it decently and MAL can't shoot. It is always a huge limitation at that position, limits the ceiling no matter how great a penetrator and passer you may be if you are not a threat from behind the line. I think his FT % is below 50%. That is not the best indicator of things to come.
I would share the same concerns as you, but MAL is most certainly a potential play. He has good measurables and good athleticism, but ultimately has not had a great feel for the game, and it doesn't help that he's playing behind Cartwright which means there is not a ton of minutes to play through those warts. I think the same things could be said for many of PC's recruits for next year -- They are guys who have bright futures but also need to grow into their bodies and their games. There are very few skills that I think easily translate from HS to college - shooting would be one, elite rebounding position would be another, and maybe elite defensive intensity. But for the most part, not going to burn guys with speed, not going to beat people with athleticism, need to learn how to play different defenses (pick and roll, etc), need to learn spacing, how to box out and create defensive positions, how to make strong passes, etc. Game plays a lot faster at this level, and it often takes high-potential players longer time to realize that (assuming they do realize that).

BAR, RJ, Reef,

If you could go back and could pick again and could ha e either player, BAR, Reef - would you take Ashton-Langford or Russell? And same question to RJ - would you stay with Langford? And this is a 4 year decision not 1.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:

BAR, RJ, Reef,

If you could go back and could pick again and could ha e either player, BAR, Reef - would you take Ashton-Langford or Russell? And same question to RJ - would you stay with Langford? And this is a 4 year decision not 1.

For 4 years, I think you have to go with MAL. He came in with a lower floor but also has a higher ceiling. People hear recruiting rankings and they assume greater immediate impact, but recruiting rankings are based primarily on the opposite. If we are sitting here next February talking about having the same issues, then I think it starts to become a bigger conversation, but there are plenty of strong recruits throughout college basketball past, present, and future who start slow and finish with a bang.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Coming out of high school Dowtin was nowhere near MAL in the rankings.......I know who I like....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

You can talk about all the "measureables" you want but the one thing that does not show up in "measureables" is defensive play which Fatts is outstanding at. In my opinion rankings of high school and prep players outside of the top 20 or so is not very well researched by the pundits. After all how many times do they actually see a player take part in several games against top competition. Not to pick on MAL but he barely shoots 50% on free throws and has major problems making a mid range jump shot never mind a 3 point shot. On what basis could he have been rated #36?

Fatts and Dowtin seem to be light years ahead of MAL at this stage of their careers. Dowtin's poise seems to be way up there. I know it is only 1 game but he must have made 6 free throws in the overtime last night under a lot of pressure.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

BTW....I also don't understand the sanctification of J Brunson at Villanova......I don't see it....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Their are diamonds in the 100s and their are busts in the Top 50 but the stars definitely bare out that on average, the better the rating the better the 4 year stats. I’m not writing off a 4 year player because of one tough 1st year. It’s also important to remember the value of MAL as being an ambassador to Mass Rivals — David Duke, AJ Reeves, and look at the pipeline of that program.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

RJ--how about using THERE and not Their. You were probably on the Dean's List at Practically College.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

LOL I’m so sorry, I’m on my cell phone, half asleep, clearly missed the proof read. Please forgive me, master of grammar. By the way I totally deserve shit for that since that is a pet peeve of mine.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
ramster wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:

BAR, RJ, Reef,

For 4 years, I think you have to go with MAL. He came in with a lower floor but also has a higher ceiling. People hear recruiting rankings and they assume greater immediate impact, but recruiting rankings are based primarily on the opposite. If we are sitting here next February talking about having the same issues, then I think it starts to become a bigger conversation, but there are plenty of strong recruits throughout college basketball past, present, and future who start slow and finish with a bang.
RJ,
I would have expected much more from MAL quite honestly being #38 ESPN. Players of that high level of Ranking are usually pretty strong in their Freshman year. What surprised me most with him was his shooting ability not being what I would have expected and then also his seemingly lack of confidence. I would have thought he would come in very confident. You might be right that he comes on in future years, and I would agree with that, but I am not confident he will turn into a good shooter.

Ashton Langford: 14.2 mpg, 30-59 FTs (50.8%), 3-22 on 3FGs (13.6%) 46 assists, 41 turnovers
Fatts Russell: 18.0mpg, 24-27 FTs (88.9%), 26-90 on 3FGs(28.9%) 40 assists, 19 turnovers

Fatts was ranked in the 200's if I remember right but played very well in many high level turnaments his Senior Year. He was 2nd Team Nike Peach Jam. Not sure Langford played such a high level and that could be hurting him
Next year will be key for him but for sure he has to work on his shooting and his assist/turnover ration if he is going to take the PG Position - he will have some tough competition
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Comparing Fatts and MAL is the ultimate proof that these guys are ranking bodies and physical projections much more than they are ranking basketball ability. If we were choosing up teams for a game that starts in five minutes and you could have one or the other, if you'd take MAL over Fatts you don't know or understand basketball. Or you haven't seen Fatts play. One or the other.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Give me Fatts all day long !!

I absolutely love this kid so fun to watch obviously plays with a chip on his shoulder due to his size

He will be a great one at URI which you all know
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:Comparing Fatts and MAL is the ultimate proof that these guys are ranking bodies and physical projections much more than they are ranking basketball ability. If we were choosing up teams for a game that starts in five minutes and you could have one or the other, if you'd take MAL over Fatts you don't know or understand basketball. Or you haven't seen Fatts play. One or the other.
Sure, but isn't the goal to try to project who will have the best four year career versus who can come in and be immediately impactful?
I'll give you an example: I think MAL has been basically an D- as a freshman, but I do believe his career trajectory could lead him to an A grade with the right work ethic and development. Then I look at someone like LaDontae Henton, who I believe came to PC with a B- type impact as a freshman, and I by the time he graduated I felt he got to become a B+/A- type player. While he put up tremendous numbers his entire career, I think there were just natural abilities and limitations that prevented him from being a star while allowing him to be a valuable contributor over 4 years.
Further, I think PC has a good history with PG's, and developing them. Look at Kris Dunn's freshmen year, and he was a Top 20, top PG in his class.
January of his freshmen year, he had 6 assists to 24 turnovers.
February of his freshmen year, in 6 games he averaged 3.1 ppg and had splits of 34.8%/20%/40% in 30 minutes per game.
I'd say Kris Dunn ended up being a pretty good player, and while I know there are some key pieces missing that Dunn had during his development years (LaFleur and Shamm), I'm still optimistic for MAL moving forward.
Further, cannot devalue his off-the-court contributions in helping land Duke, Reeves, and continue to boost the Mass Rivals pipeline.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

So couple of things - first, I was not denigrating MAL as much as elevating Fatts. I think he was way undervalued as a recruit because of his size. He played excellent competition in high school and dominated. He has shown virtually no sign so far that playing against bigger players in college is going to dramatically change his game. Which brings me to my second point: ratings services should try to project guys out over four years which will naturally take into account body type and stuff like that, but they shouldn't ignore production and actual basketball talent or discount those things because a guy doesn't have a prototype body, especially when the guy plays in one of the most competitive and deep leagues in the country against a bunch of other guys who are going to also play at the D1 level.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I have said it before. If Fatts was 6'2" with the same speed, quickness and ability that he has, he would have been a 4* and possibly even a 5* player.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Had some great recruits a couple of weeks ago with the great atmosphere at the RC. Hopefully there are some tonight. Would love to see Clarke there again.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Just a thought...with all of this pay for play scandal going on, I would not be surprised to see URI start to get involved in an even higher rated level of recruit with the prospect of the sanctions on the Blue Bloods. Ooooo the possibilities...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If you look back over the 6 years Hurley has steadily moved op on the level of recruit he goes after. From year 1 when it was what can we do quickly he got EC Mathews, he got Hassan Martin, he got JC Transfer in Munford, other D1 Transfers plus many of the signings were late in April, May.
Then he moved up from 2 stars to 2.5 stars to 3 stars to 3.5 starts, to 4 stars.......................no reason he shouldn't keep that ramp moving up
He also went to verbaling in November instead of February or later

All great stuff.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote:If you look back over the 6 years Hurley has steadily moved op on the level of recruit he goes after. From year 1 when it was what can we do quickly he got EC Mathews, he got Hassan Martin, he got JC Transfer in Munford, other D1 Transfers plus many of the signings were late in April, May.
Then he moved up from 2 stars to 2.5 stars to 3 stars to 3.5 starts, to 4 stars.......................no reason he shouldn't keep that ramp moving up

All great stuff.
Isn’t Terrell (Dan’s 2nd year) the highest rated recruit before Harris? I think EC is the second higest.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Rhody Guy wrote:Just a thought...with all of this pay for play scandal going on, I would not be surprised to see URI start to get involved in an even higher rated level of recruit with the prospect of the sanctions on the Blue Bloods. Ooooo the possibilities...
Shareef O'Neal Just decommited from Arizona...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote:
ramster wrote:If you look back over the 6 years Hurley has steadily moved op on the level of recruit he goes after. From year 1 when it was what can we do quickly he got EC Mathews, he got Hassan Martin, he got JC Transfer in Munford, other D1 Transfers plus many of the signings were late in April, May.

All great stuff.
Isn’t Terrell (Dan’s 2nd year) the highest rated recruit before Harris? I think EC is the second higest.
But I am talking about overall qualify of class. Overall quality of the pond from which we are fishing in. It has steadily gone up year after year.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Not getting my hopes up for Shareef. I am looking forward to '19 when punishments start to get handed out. I am thinking about the Kofi Cockburn, Jalen Lecque, Terrance Clark type guys a couple of years out.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody Guy wrote:Not getting my hopes up for Shareef. I am looking forward to '19 when punishments start to get handed out. I am thinking about the Kofi Cockburn, Jalen Lecque, Terrance Clark type guys a couple of years out.
It's nice though that we kept that Extra Scholarship open for 2018.

Could be we land a very good player out of all this. We are in a very nice position
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Recruiting has been fantastic. In the early years, they were able to get great players on promise- of minutes and eventual success- and then later on from actual results. The relatively weaker 2015 class (Berry, Thompson, Akele) represents when the shift was happening- not as many available minutes and right before they had any kind of sustained success.
4 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I have not read through entire thread, but is there anything even remotely linking Rams in anyway with Shareer O'Neal? Or simply very wishful thinking?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

giovanni wrote:I have not read through entire thread, but is there anything even remotely linking Rams in anyway with Shareer O'Neal? Or simply very wishful thinking?
Wishful thinking.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Billyboy78 wrote:I have said it before. If Fatts was 6'2" with the same speed, quickness and ability that he has, he would have been a 4* and possibly even a 5* player.
Love how fast Fatts plays in the open court. First player in years we have had that sprints down court full speed for lay ups. He makes every one and is maybe the best finisher around the basket.

For the past 6 years we have seen 6 zillion eurosteps and a conversion rate of like 65% from our guards. ON LAYUPS!

Fatts old school approach is a breath of fresh air. And lethal!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Fatts is an incredibly skilled layup maker, which is a huge asset for any PG, but especially an undersized one. Knows how to use his body, to get his shot off against bigger guys, with either hand. Combine that with blazing speed and he is going to a tough cover for the A10 for the next few years.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

bigappleram wrote:Fatts is an incredibly skilled layup maker, which is a huge asset for any PG, but especially an undersized one. Knows how to use his body, to get his shot off against bigger guys, with either hand. Combine that with blazing speed and he is going to a tough cover for the A10 for the next few years.
There's been more than a few times I've shaken my head and thought to myself, "how did he get that shot off?!?" on some of his very contested layups.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

steviep123 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Fatts is an incredibly skilled layup maker, which is a huge asset for any PG, but especially an undersized one. Knows how to use his body, to get his shot off against bigger guys, with either hand. Combine that with blazing speed and he is going to a tough cover for the A10 for the next few years.
There's been more than a few times I've shaken my head and thought to myself, "how did he get that shot off?!?" on some of his very contested layups.
he really has mastered the "use your body as a shield and flip the shot up and over the defender" lay up.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I love the fact that we will be a much more balanced team next season....with depth at all positions for once....

All of our recruits will get solid minutes....Adams might not get as much with Dowtin and Fatts ahead of him though.

All depends on how good they are. For the last scholly, we sure could use a wing scorer/knock down shooter.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Funny that Shareef decomitted from Arizona and then committed to UCLA who was also implicated in the scandal.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NEPSAC AAA Tourney semis at RIC today.
http://nepsacbasketball.org/Brackets.as ... ETBALL.ORG
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

National Prep Championship is in New London CT (Connecticut College) next week.
Tyrese Martin’s team is the #2 seed
Several 2019’s that URI has offered are also in the tournament.
Akok Akok - Putnam
Maxwell Lorca-Lloyd - NMH
Tre Mitchell - Woodstock
Trey McGowens - Hargrove

Last edited by Rhody83 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:NEPSAC AAA Tourney semis at RIC today.
http://nepsacbasketball.org/Brackets.as ... ETBALL.ORG
I think that's tomorrow.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Actually, the semis are at the higher seeded school. The final is at RIC on Sunday.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83 wrote:National Prep Championship is in New London CT (Connecticut College) next week.
Tyrese Martin’s team is the #2 seed
Several 2019’s that URI has offered are also in the tournament.
Akok Akok - Putnam
Maxwell Lorca-Lloyd - NMH
Tre Mitchell - Woodstock
Trey McGowens - Hargrove

Update with times for quarterfinals on Weds March 7th:
2:00 Putnam (Akok Akok)
4:00 Woodstock (Tre Mitchell)
6:00 Massnutten with URI commit Tyrese Martin
8:00 NMH (Maxwell Lorca-Lloyd)
Hargrave (Trey McGowens) plays Tues in easrlier round. If they win, they play NMH on Weds.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Times have been moved up due to the storm:

10:00 AM Putnam (Akok Akok) vs Scotland
11:45 AM Woodstock (Tre Mitchell) vs Brewster
1:30 PM Massnutten with URI commit Tyrese Martin vs Tilton
3:15 PM NMH (Maxwell Lorca-Lloyd) vs Spire
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

National Prep semis & finals today on Yurview.
NMH (Lorca-Lloyd) playing right now vs Tilton.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

All of this media and TV attention HAS to boost URI in recruiting.
2 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

5th year Senior Tariq Owens gets release. 6-11 St Johns. 8.4 ppg, 5.9 rebs & 2.8 blocks

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hey who are the 8 Pitt players transferring?? Were we in on any of those guys before???
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

So how about we get some more big guys ay?
1 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

1 of them is Terrell Brown -- I believe his grandfather played at URI. Or something like that.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

reef wrote:Hey who are the 8 Pitt players transferring?? Were we in on any of those guys before???
It would be fun if DH turned down Pitt and just took their best player.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry