General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by theblueram »

May 10th. I'm guessing the 17 recruiting period is over.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Nope. Next Wednesday the 17th.

Still a chance we sign someone.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Nah. 7 days left? I think we are done. This late in the game we would get no one who can contribute on an NCAAT team.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

All I know is they are still trying to find someone that can help.

That should tell you something.....they need some help.

But they aren't going to take an immediately eligible transfer or juco unless that player can DEFINITELY help right away.

At this point that's not an easy thing to do.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Can add players after that date they just can't sign a LOI. Never say never
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Top 5 Teams from each of the 4 Divisions automatically make the 24 Team Championship in July. 4 teams will be chosen in addition to the 20 auto- qualifiers that will be decided by end of day today.

This was a hugely important game for both New England Teams on Saturday. With the win Expressions probably locked themselves in to the 24 team championship. BABC has work to do. Last 2 games for each team will be played today.
As of today:
Expressions is now 9-5. 2 Games remaining today with Southern Stampede (5-9) and with Metro Team Hood (5-9)
BABC is now 8-6. 2 Games remaining today with 2nd place Mokan Elite (10-4) and Southern Stampede (5-9)

Expressions outlasts BABC 52-50 in emotional Battle for Boston
05/27/2017, 9:30pm EDT By D1 Circuit Staff
In-state rivalries bring out the best in players and coaches, especially in the EYBL. When those two squads are also competing for one of the final spots in Peach Jam during the last weekend of the regular season, that is even more obvious.
Expressions Elite proved their mettle with a humongous two-point victory over BABC, who also played very well down the stretch. A back-and-forth thriller that ended in a "goal-line stand" of sorts for Expressions, who shut down BABC point guard Jakigh Dottin, this one was one of the best of the season and there was plenty of emotion to go around.
Point guard Markus Zegarowski was a stud for Expressions, dropping 20 points including an insane 6-10 from behind the arc, and all-around focus on the defensive end kept BABC from ever taking over completely.
Swingman Dana Tate added 12 of his own for Expressions, along with 10 big-time boards including a few on the offensive end that kept the ball out of BABC's hands.
BABC was able to stage a furious comeback with Dottin on the bench, riding excellent play on both ends from stars Cole Swider and Dimon Carrigan, who finished with statlines of 15-7 and 14-8, respectively, and it looked like they were just about to complete the comeback effort with one final chance to tie or take the lead.
However, on three consecutive inbounds plays Expressions played suffocating defense, never allowing an opening to linger. The win springboards Expressions into the Peach Jam field, while BABC will have some work to do in their remaining two contests to say the same. Battle for Boston, indeed.

Division D 2017 EYBL.png
http://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/s ... id=3215980
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nice source of information for each of the Nike EYBL Teams including BABC and Expressions Elite. 158 pages to keep you busy.

https://issuu.com/peachjam2016/docs/201 ... w_magazine
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great weekend for Expressions Elite going 4-0 in Los Angeles including a big 2 point win over Massachusetts rival BABC.
BABC itself had a descent 3-1 record likely playing themselves into the field of 24. Another big opportunity for Swider to play in front of the country's top coaches.

http://www.flohoops.com/article/56830-n ... m=content1
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I have a crazy thought. It's a little unusual for a very highly ranked player from this year's high school class to still be unsigned. Tremont Waters is the highest ranked player from the '17 class that is still unsigned. He's ranked in the 30's by most. Waters is a former Expressions Elite player. He played there when Ty Boswell was there. Boswell still hasn't officially become an assistant coach here. I was told that will happen in August. Expressions players can't sign here yet with Ty as a DBO, but can sign when Ty is a coach. When Ty becomes coach, Waters signs here. That would also mean that someone would have to transfer. That player was told they could still take the Europe trip and to hold off on transferring until after that, which is also in August. It all makes sense to me. Am I crazy?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We had a player who went on the Italy trip who left the team shortly thereafter.
1 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Billyboy78 wrote:I have a crazy thought. It's a little unusual for a very highly ranked player from this year's high school class to still be unsigned. Tremont Waters is the highest ranked player from the '17 class that is still unsigned. He's ranked in the 30's by most. Waters is a former Expressions Elite player. He played there when Ty Boswell was there. Boswell still hasn't officially become an assistant coach here. I was told that will happen in August. Expressions players can't sign here yet with Ty as a DBO, but can sign when Ty is a coach. When Ty becomes coach, Waters signs here. That would also mean that someone would have to transfer. That player was told they could still take the Europe trip and to hold off on transferring until after that, which is also in August. It all makes sense to me. Am I crazy?
I would say 0% chance that happens. I doubt the staff would want a 5'10, 5'10, 6'3 backcourt.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:We had a player who went on the Italy trip who left the team shortly thereafter.
So, does that mean I'm not crazy?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

BB78 outstanding conspiracy theory....most creative and excellent.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ramster wrote:We had a player who went on the Italy trip who left the team shortly thereafter.
So, does that mean I'm not crazy?
Maybe not.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:I have a crazy thought. It's a little unusual for a very highly ranked player from this year's high school class to still be unsigned. Tremont Waters is the highest ranked player from the '17 class that is still unsigned. He's ranked in the 30's by most. Waters is a former Expressions Elite player. He played there when Ty Boswell was there. Boswell still hasn't officially become an assistant coach here. I was told that will happen in August. Expressions players can't sign here yet with Ty as a DBO, but can sign when Ty is a coach. When Ty becomes coach, Waters signs here. That would also mean that someone would have to transfer. That player was told they could still take the Europe trip and to hold off on transferring until after that, which is also in August. It all makes sense to me. Am I crazy?
So this is a "thought" not something you've heard?
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I live for KB conspiracy theories.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:
So this is a "thought" not something you've heard?
No. I was just bored and dreaming. Although it does make a little sense.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Nobody can sign until November, but they can verbal anytime until then.....Boswell will be on board next month.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Waters has said all along that, after Georgetown release, he would take his time. Don't see any flags here.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Tremont played for my alma mater

saw him only once this year but he is very good
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

J. Hare seems like a million years ago.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ElmCityRhody wrote:Tremont played for my alma mater

Sounds like we went to the same high school!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And now he's going to be a LSU Tiger.

I don't really have an opinion on Will Wade, but I love how mad some VCU fans get talking about him.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

adam914 wrote:

SWEET !

BROTHER BENJAMIN !
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ElmCityRhody wrote:
adam914 wrote:

SWEET !

BROTHER BENJAMIN !
Hahaha!! Yes, the best!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Vinstumpo
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Vinstumpo »

Who currently are our best targets that we have a realistic shot at getting?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Vinstumpo wrote:Who currently are our best targets that we have a realistic shot at getting?
My guess would be Gebrewhit and Tate. The only rumored visit is Jack Clark on an unofficial. Other than that, crickets.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

On the surface things don't look very promising.

Have to hope the staff has a few surprises in store over the next couple of months.

One thing's for sure....whatever the recruiting budget is, they are using every penny or probably even exceeding it this summer and fall......
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I would hope we sign at least 2 4* recruits for 18. Otherwise, the media love will fall way off.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I remain somewhat optimistic that will happen. Don't want to think about the alternative.

There's 5 months until the signing period...but much has to happen in the meantime....and that includes verbals.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:I remain somewhat optimistic that will happen. Don't want to think about the alternative.

There's 5 months until the signing period...but much has to happen in the meantime....and that includes verbals.
Or at least being on somebody's list.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

78, recruiting is all about making connections/relationships with the recruit as early as possible.....if we're not on anybody's short list at this point, then on the surface it doesn't look very good does it?

You have to think the staff is very involved with at least several players at this point. I think it's more a case of what is NOT being put out there than what is.....at least I hope so.

If I'm wrong about this...then there's trouble......it's one thing trying to bring in one or 2 key recruits at a time, but 5? And at just about every position?

I think things will pick up by July.....one thing's for sure....we can't "settle" for any more 2 and 3 star projects......if that's what we end up getting, then the future won't be as bright as we all thought.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Outside of Terrell though, I don't think most of the people we've actually recruited and landed have had extensive information leaked about the process. Like, looking back at the Garrett thread, I think we had around 4 pages (100ish posts) before he was signed, and the vast majority was just us analyzing his game via the released mixtapes and comparing him to players on the current roster. (Holy hell, it seems like Mike Powell was our starting PG 20 years ago, not five.)

Almost nothing in that thread was credible information about the recruiting process itself, though. Meaning, we often get tipped off to a URI offer because the player being recruited will post it on his Twitter or Instagram, but after that point, we don't really ever have much information about what's going on. Since the recruiting classes have mostly either been good or great so far, I don't really have an issue with it.
4 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

What wasn't known about Garrett's recruiting process?
Some of us watched him at a tourney at RIC.
Preston was on him every step of the way, and made no secret of it.
Jarvis may have been holding out for Marquette in his home
town, but they didn't need a PG.
The announcement came the day before Preston
left for BC.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I was at the tourney at RIC. So was Dan Hurley. It was obvious we were recruiting Jarvis. IIRC, at the time it was between us and Marquette. I could be wrong on the timing, but that's how I remember it.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I know we have 5 open scholarships next year, but I would be shocked to see more than 3 freshmen. If we get more than 3 freshmen it's because we landed someone really good because I think the class will be the expressions kids and maybe Hassan's brother. Leaves one transfer and one grad transfer spot.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How about Jalen Carey, Philmon Gebrewhit, KJ Buffen, Valdir Manuel and Jermaine Harris. I'll take that.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I would agree that we probably shouldn't expect 5 high school recruits in '18. I doubt they want to be in a situation where they are trying to fill 5 scholarships every few years.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unless one is a project and he is redshirted like Tertsea was.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Leaving a spot open for a transfer/late developing JUCO would seem to make a lot of sense. It took them less than a month to officially put together a four-man classs of '16s. We know they've gotten less open about recruiting over the past few years, but that doesn't mean they're not putting in the groundwork. It also does little good to be the unrealistic 8th team on some guy's list. Staff changes, which have happened every year but one, always shake things up a bit and can be a disruption, even when it works out fine in the long run.

Side note, but I had forgotten how tenuous Garrett's being eligible was. I think that hung on until August.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Unless one is a project and he is redshirted like Tertsea was.
Sure, also possible. More just a case of balancing out the classes more, however it gets done.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So what is the chance we sign someone for the 18 class who has NBA possibilities like EC had? Because, the media hype for the last 4 years has been EC. Three stars won't do it.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Would be great if one or both of our big men make an NBA Roster. Both are displaying their ability for numerous NBA Teams this month. Good quality young men, hard working, decent shooting big men. I'd love to see it happen. Well coached and led their team to it's 1st Conference Championship and NCAA Appearance and 1st NCAA Win this century.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm not saying players haven't performed well. I'm talking about the media. And where they project players from their freshman year. 4 star players with NBA potential get write ups. Hass didn't. We need 4* players to keep the media going.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting. High level schools. Still staying a long way from their home state of Louisiana

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Five open slots. I'm expecting 4 star players in this class.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

One Month from today on Wednesday July 12 begins a hugely important Live Period.

Among Players DH and Staff have offered and could be looking closely at during EYBL Championship Play July 12-15:
- Nike Team Florida (8-8) - KJ Buffen SF - 4 Star ESPN
- Team Melo (9-7) - Demitrius Mims Jr - SG - 4 Star ESPN
- Playas Club (NJ) (9-7) - Jalen Carey - PG - 4 Star ESPN
- Playas Club (NJ) (9-7) - Valdir Manuel - PF - 4 Star ESPN
- The City Rocks (NY) (10-6) - Jeenathan Williams - SG - 4 Star ESPN
- Expressions Elite (11-5) - Philmon Gebrewhit - SF - 4 Star ESPN
- Expressions Elite (11-5) - Dana Tate - SF - 4 Star ESPN
- NY Lightning (10-6) - Anthony Nelson - PG - 2 Star
- NY Lightning (10-6) - Jared Rhoden - SG - 2 Star

Not having their teams qualify but play EYBL:
- Nike South Beach (6-10) - Serrell Smith - PG - 4 Star ESPN
- Mike South Beach (6-10) - Mike DeVoe - SG - 4 Star ESPN
- Southern Stampede (6-10) - Jalen Lecques - SG - 3 Star ESPN
- UPLAY Canada (3-13) - Tyrese Samuel - PF - 2 Star
- The Family (8-8) - Gabe Brown - SF - 2 Star
- NY Rens (8-8) - Malik Martin - SG - 2 Star
- NY Rens (8-8) - Sloan Seymour - SF - 2 Star
- NY Rens (8-8) - Kofi Cochburn - C - 2 Star

The following 2018 Players do not play Nike EYBL:
Jermaine Harris - 4 Star ESPN
David Duke - Cushing Academy - 4 Star ESPN
Jaelin Llewellyn - Team Loaded Virginia - 3 Star
Nate Hinton - Team Loaded Virginia - 3 Star
Kyler Edwards - Arlington TX - 3 Star
Brendan Adams - Calvert Hall HS - 2 Star
Caleb McConnell - Ohio NOVA - 2 Star
Malik Johnson - Terry Sanford School NC - 2 Star
Amir Harris - Maryland - 2 Star
Jaylyn Sims - Charlotte NC - 2 Star
Tyrece Martin - Allentown PA - 2 Star
Saddiq Bay - DC - 2 Star
Omar Silverio - NYC - 2 Star
DJ Mitchell - Hyattsville Maryland - 2 Star
Jack Clark - Wyncotte PA - 2 Star
Christian Hickson - Tilton School - 2 Star
Chimezie Offerum - Georgetown Prep - 2 Star
Souleymane Koureissi - Iona Prep New Rochelle - 2 Star
Frankie Pollicelli - 2 Star
Jimmy Nichols Jr - Conway SC - 2 Star
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Wonder what affect the loss of ARD will have on this list?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:Wonder what affect the loss of ARD will have on this list?
Yeah, I'm sure he was the lead on the Georgia and Florida kids. Tom Moore must have strong New England ties. Maybe between him and Boswell, we can start killing it with New England recruits.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Ramster can you add the number of stars next to your list of players? Seems like a good list, just want to see where we stand
1 x