General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by bigappleram »

Gil was a good player and seems to be even a better person. Seawright was a nice player, like an Andre Samuel type. Or kyle Ivey Jones with some more pounds. But Hassan was better than all of them.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I love when people say a player was only good at this and this or they say except for that he isn't very good. Don't exclude any skill. "But he is primarily remember as a great defensive player". Newsflash defense is half the game. Hass was named to the defensive All American team.

Hass scored 1300 points, had 786 rebounds and 321 blocks. His last three years he averaged 12.3 ppg.
Gil averaged 9.35 ppg with Rhody. He averaged 9.65 ppg with Rutgers.
Last edited by Rhody83 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think Martin deserves to not be compared to anyone right now because I think winning the games matters more than stats. But since its happening I pulled up Martin's espn profile next to Seawright's profile and Martin does not win that comparison statistically.

Seawright was good at URI.

Interesting Martin's best statistical year was his sophomore year. Supporting the injury narrative.

Interesting Seawright was more of a defender rebounder his junior year. 8.5 rebounds a game is a lot. Martin never avg'd 8 a game.

Just an interesting comparison. Martin was and has been great. Some here worship him. Seawright was very good and better in many important areas.

[EDIT] Gil averaged 4.6 rebounds his senior year. Not too good. Not on Martin/SW level. That was a great tip against Fordham.
Last edited by Seawrightspostgame 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Gil couldn't jump over a phone book

Give me Hass all day long, the guy was a warrior
0 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

I was a big fan of both Gil and Kaheem, but i don't think there's any comparison between them and Hassan. The stats might not show it but When Hass was healthy he played at a much higher level than both of them. The 'eye-test' if you will.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Mr basketball out of Minnesota, seems like Dayton could be losing a good one, even though he says he will still consider Dayton
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Makai Ashton-Langford just committed to PC, ranked 36 overall by ESPN. Will be interesting to see him against Fatts in upcoming years.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Great get for them. Cooley put together a heckuva class for this year with Watson, Ashton-Langford and Dickens.
1 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

josephski wrote:Makai Ashton-Langford just committed to PC, ranked 36 overall by ESPN. Will be interesting to see him against Fatts in upcoming years.
I'm getting a bit concerned...Cooley seems to be crushing it on the recruiting trail.....vomit.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It must be the new practice facility...
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

All cooley has to do to sell a point guard is point at Cotton, then Dunn, then Cartwright...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Current Options for the single roster opening for 2017 currently in the news:
Juiston 6'7" 215 JUCO
Kanter 6'10" 240 Grad Transfer
Toppin 6'9" 200 Freshman
Lane 6'6" Grad Transfer
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I would say Juiston and Kanter seem like very long shots at this point. But you never know.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Of those 4, only Lane is visiting at this point. Looks like our best shot right now.

Would like to see Toppin get a visit....of course the other 2 also, but it doesn't look likely.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

josephski wrote:Makai Ashton-Langford just committed to PC, ranked 36 overall by ESPN. Will be interesting to see him against Fatts in upcoming years.

Id rather have Fatts
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wasn't Langford going to UConn? And decommitted recently?

Something's not right there....Ollie's got problems....and a top recruit going from the AAC to the BE......basketball wise, the BE has it all over the AAC even with the Wichita addition.

One's thing's for sure, it's not the BB practice facility at UConn...I've seen what that looks like from the inside...it's the Taj Mahal of BB practice facilities...one half for the men, and one half for the women. $40 million to build.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rambone 78 wrote:Wasn't Langford going to UConn? And decommitted recently?

Something's not right there....Ollie's got problems....and a top recruit going from the AAC to the BE......basketball wise, the BE has it all over the AAC even with the Wichita addition.

One's thing's for sure, it's not the BB practice facility at UConn...I've seen what that looks like from the inside...it's the Taj Mahal of BB practice facilities...one half for the men, and one half for the women. $40 million to build.
MAL decommited from UCONN after his primary recruiter got fired.
It appears his eyes were opened to the dysfunction, and things he should have seen initially were then revealed.
PC was in his initial Final 3 and with no changes to their guard depth chart, made for an easier close.

Gives PC the #14 recruiting class for 2017.
#32 MAL PG
#89 Watson PF/C
#139 Dickens C

They'll also return Drew Edwards who was a rotation player as a freshman but missed most of last season with a knee injury that got him a medical redshirt.

PC also in good position with several wing players for the class of 2018.
Primary Targets include:
David Duke, AJ Reeves, Cole Swider
Landing MAL, they would probably be happy with 1 of Duke/Reeves and Swider, although I think they would still honor their "package deal" talk from a few weeks ago.
Duke was reportedly very excited to hear that PC landed MAL, although the effect on his recruitment is unknown.

Also probably looking for a bigger transfer to sit out for next season and to play in 2018-2019 (whether SF/PF or PF/C).
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

PF's and C's needed here for 2018-19...along with 3's too.

I think we could end up with one of those wings.....
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote:

Id rather have Fatts

Nobody should want Russell over Aston-Langford, let's try not to be completely bias here.

This kid is rated one of the best PGs in the country, something Russell doesn't even sniff.
4 x
Go Rhody
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Rhody 15 is 100% right. MAL is higher rated than anyone we've
recruited since Lamar.
Why are we still offering more PGs than anything else?
We need scoring wings, and forwards.
Please don't replay with, "Dan knows more than us".
This is a discussion board and recruiting is a
main component of this site.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, MAL is higher rated than Fatts. Quade Green, who is going to Kentucky, is higher rated than MAL. Fatts held his own against Green. Anyway, it will be fun to watch for the next few years.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

URI graduates 5 guards next year.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Still will have 2 PGs.
How the hell many do you need?
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Iggy1979 wrote:URI graduates 5 guards next year.
Berry's a guard?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Langford had PC as one of his final schools before choosing UConn, obviously had built in equity with Cooley.

I like our recruiting strategy and results, I'm going to trust the process.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

With only 3 guards remaining after next year and one of them, Thompson, being a senior, there will be plenty of playing time to sell to '18 guards. Since we already have 2 that can play the point, I would think the focus would be on bigger, scoring type guards to replace EC and Jared. We should be able to get a couple of good ones.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody15 wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:

Id rather have Fatts

Nobody should want Russell over Aston-Langford, let's try not to be completely bias here.

This kid is rated one of the best PGs in the country, something Russell doesn't even sniff.
Be that as it may, I question the character and intelligence of any person who chooses to go to Providence College, whether it is for basketball or anything else. A typical PC student is the spoiled, sheltered, friendless child of overly religious parents who - despite the tutoring and private school education and ongoing virginity - could not get the grades or test scores to get into Notre Dame, Holy Cross, Boston College or Fordham. The size and nature of the student body makes it like a medium sized high school comprised solely of pimply hall monitors and student government types. Any basketball player that wants to deal with that for four years should have his heart out with it.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

^^^ Can I get an Amen.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote:Yes, MAL is higher rated than Fatts. Quade Green, who is going to Kentucky, is higher rated than MAL. Fatts held his own against Green. Anyway, it will be fun to watch for the next few years.
If Fatts was going to Kentucky he'd be a 4 or 5 star. A lot of the rankings are subjective based on who wants who.

Rankings also tend to not mean shit. I know a 3 star forward from Staten Island who was the best defender in his conference twice and an all american by the time his senior year was over. I'm sure there are plenty of players ranked higher than Hass who didn't do dick with their college careers. These rankings are cool to talk about in April, I'll trust who our coaches wanted.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Another loss for Dayton
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Blue Man wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Yes, MAL is higher rated than Fatts. Quade Green, who is going to Kentucky, is higher rated than MAL. Fatts held his own against Green. Anyway, it will be fun to watch for the next few years.
If Fatts was going to Kentucky he'd be a 4 or 5 star. A lot of the rankings are subjective based on who wants who.

Rankings also tend to not mean shit. I know a 3 star forward from Staten Island who was the best defender in his conference twice and an all american by the time his senior year was over. I'm sure there are plenty of players ranked higher than Hass who didn't do dick with their college careers. These rankings are cool to talk about in April, I'll trust who our coaches wanted.
While the recruiting rankings and ratings aren't gospel, IIRC, there is a decent correlation. Yes, some four and five star recruits will flame out, but on average, they're going to be better than three star recruits, which will be better than two stars. And of course, there are going to be outliers in the other direction too. I think Hurley's recruiting record so far is pretty good, so I do agree with you that he deserves some benefit of the doubt when it comes to who they're recruiting.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wait, Hassan was an All American this year?
I must've been sleeping.
Link?
4 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

just give Fatts accomplishments the benefit of the doubt. They speak for themselves.

I wonder what Tu Halloway was rated coming out? Thats the kind of impact player I want. A kid with a chip on his shoulder that just gets to the Sweet Sixteen year after year.

I don't care about PC.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Why can we never admit PC made a good signing lol...I'm sure if you ask Any national recruiting expert who'd they rather have, they'd take MAL over Russell any day of the week. He is a TOP 40 PLAYER. Fatts is a 3 star recruit, not nationally ranked.

As of now, there is zero comparison, and zero ways one can justify wanting Russell over Langford.
5 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I agree, good for them it's a good get. I am not competing with PC for 1 win a year, I want our program to play meaningful games in March as much as possible. If we beat them along the way great, if we lose like this year but play further than them in March it's a more rewarding season for me as a fan.

In terms of ranking I subscribe to a similar theory as Dan -- after the first 25-30 ranked guys it's a crap shoot on 30 to 150. Informed by who ranked them, subjective, and not the most scientific data based on limited scouting time on that many kids. We need a healthy mix of Top 100 and everyone else with an eye towards those diamond in the rough kids (a la Hassan and now Cyril) who are under-ranked.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:Why can we never admit PC made a good signing lol...I'm sure if you ask Any national recruiting expert who'd they rather have, they'd take MAL over Russell any day of the week. He is a TOP 40 PLAYER. Fatts is a 3 star recruit, not nationally ranked.

As of now, there is zero comparison, and zero ways one can justify wanting Russell over Langford.
I'll wait until at least December before making a judgment, since I have seen neither one play in person. Have you seen them play in person?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Wait, Hassan was an All American this year?
I must've been sleeping.
Link?
I could have sworn that he was named a defensive All American, but I can't find the link.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Wait, Hassan was an All American this year?
I must've been sleeping.
Link?
I could have sworn that he was named a defensive All American, but I can't find the link.

Here it is......
http://www.leftydriesell.com/
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:Why can we never admit PC made a good signing lol...I'm sure if you ask Any national recruiting expert who'd they rather have, they'd take MAL over Russell any day of the week. He is a TOP 40 PLAYER. Fatts is a 3 star recruit, not nationally ranked.

I'll wait until at least December before making a judgment, since I have seen neither one play in person. Have you seen them play in person?
Nope, but even if I had, I'm not a recruiting expert.

As of now, I'll agree with the people who get paid to do this stuff, not posters on this message board, who will take our players over 99.9% of other recruits it seems.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Top rated players out of high school class of 2013 - KI (247sports #31/espn #33), Robinson (247sports #68/espn #99)
URI recruits class of 2013 - EC (247sports #122), Hassan (247 sports #175)
From Fr year through this year EC and Hassan have been the best players of this group. It isn't even close.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
bostonwhaler
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by bostonwhaler »

Blue Man wrote:

Agreed. Trust in Dan, trust in the process. If he wants Fatts over Langford, then it was the right move, and we can enjoy watching this play out over the next 4 years.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody83 wrote:Top rated players out of high school class of 2013 - KI (247sports #31/espn #33), Robinson (247sports #68/espn #99)
URI recruits class of 2013 - EC (247sports #122), Hassan (247 sports #175)
From Fr year through this year EC and Hassan have been the best players of this group. It isn't even close.
Exactly....I want the guard who is undervalued and responds with MVPs and championships. This has nothing to do with PC, they have an awesome class. Russell just looks like a special player and I expect him to do huge things for us
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I just don't care/genuinely dislike PC. So idk? I legit never felt like I wanted a PC player on URI. Once they make that choice I don't care about them at all.

Are they good? Have they been good? Oh yea for sure. Im impressed by the players that rise to the occasion every year and Cooley's ability.

But their players? recruits? Just doesn't move the needle for me.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The Lefty Dreisel team?????
They named THIRTY PLAYERS!!!!!
I love Hassan, but sorry, the Lefty Dreisel
team ain't an All-American team in defense
or bocce.
1 x
El Diablo
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by El Diablo »

Blue Man wrote:
If Fatts was going to Kentucky he'd be a 4 or 5 star
Lol
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

So hypothetically speaking let's say both PC and URI were recruiting Langford and Fatts equally, and we got MAL, the highest ranked player we would have gotten since Lamar, and PC got Fatts. Would we still feel the same about Fatts? No absolutely not, we'd be jumping for joy we just got a Top 40 player over a 3 star recruit. According to Rivals, we offered Langford, so maybe Dan felt he was not interested in us / he was out of our reach and wanted a bigger program and backed off recruiting him.

I just don't see how, right now, anyone would want Fatts over Langford.
1 x
Go Rhody
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Brady Ernst is Decommitting from Xavier (after Kanter committed). Originally committed to Iowa State.
6'9 Power Forward that can play immediately with 3 years of eligibility left.

http://247sports.com/player/brady-ernst-35019
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bostonwhaler wrote: Agreed. Trust in Dan, trust in the process. If he wants Fatts over Langford, then it was the right move, and we can enjoy watching this play out over the next 4 years.
Umm, was he recruiting him?
URI was never really associated with MAL, so I don't think it was a matter of taking one over the other.
That said, I can never blame a coach for that.
They put out feelers, but they aren't going to waste their time on a long-shot.
But I'm sure every coach would still go down the list of the top players in the country, and say "Damn, kid is going to be a good player, wish I could land him."
I think every program would be Kentucky or Duke if they could.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x