'17 RI SF - Kimani Lawrence

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

'17 RI SF - Kimani Lawrence

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Kimani Lawrence - SF
School: New Hampton (NH)
Travel/AAU: Expressions Elite

Ht: 6'5"
Wt: 175

RANKINGS:
Rivals: 4 Stars, #53 in 2017
ESPN: 4 Stars, 86 Grade, #20 SF
Scout: 4 Stars, #35 in 2017, #9 SF
247 Sports, 4 Stars, 94 Grade, #66 in 2017, #14 SF
Future150: 3 Stars, #16 SF
NERR: #6 in New England

OFFERS:
Rhode Island
Creighton
Miami
PC
St. Bonaventure
Xavier
Wake Forest

INTEREST:
Oregon
Syracuse
Virginia
Washington
Kimani Lawrence 2017 Cushing Academy 6’5 SF Kimani played limited minutes but showed that he can already hold his own against older competition. Going forward he should develop into one of the top prospects in the area for 2017. The Providence native lists Providence and URI as the two schools that he is currently interested in.

http://friarbasketball.com/2013/12/10/l ... p-showcase
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: '17 RI SF - Kimani Lawrence

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Please let us get a good player out of RI! That isn't a coaches son. Of coarse if DH kid can play we will like him
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Remember, just a freshman, and from RI....just a thought for down the line...

0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If Lawrence wants to stay local, I would think that Cooley would have the advantage with a kid from Providence, but who knows?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Kimani should go a distance away from RI for his college education....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Ranked No. 45 overall in the class of 2017, 6-foot-6 small forward Kimani Lawrence of Expressions has battled some injuries in the past. The four-star prospect said that he's finally closing in on 100 percent and it's showing with his increasing explosion and confidence on the offensive end. Lawrence listed offers from USC, Providence, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure, Xavier, Miami and Creighton to go with recent interest from Texas, Stanford and Syracuse.
https://basketballrecruiting.n.rivals.c ... n-the-rise
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:#54 on ESPN's latest Top 100.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... order/true
Not coming here. It would be nice to be able to get a highly rated RI kid, but not happening. Swider is the next RI kid that will blow up and be out of our league.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Billyboy78 wrote:

Not coming here. It would be nice to be able to get a highly rated RI kid, but not happening. Swider is the next RI kid that will blow up and be out of our league.
I'm not sure why we haven't been all over this kid. Creighton and Arizona State are his best offers? Those are solid programs, but I certainly don't think that they're "out of our league". I think we could beat any of the schools if we played them, especially ASU. If Duke and Kentucky were fighting over him, I can totally understand giving up, but Arizona State? USC? Pitt?
I just think that is such a limiting mindset - every single time a school like ASU is involved, we immediately bow out? Even if he didn't live right down the road (which he does), and PT wasn't available right away (which it is), why are they so "out of our league"? I know that they play in bigger conferences, but I think URI is perfect for this guy.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

860_rhody wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

I'm not sure why we haven't been all over this kid. Creighton and Arizona State are his best offers? Those are solid programs, but I certainly don't think that they're "out of our league". I think we could beat any of the schools if we played them, especially ASU. If Duke and Kentucky were fighting over him, I can totally understand giving up, but Arizona State? USC? Pitt?
I just think that is such a limiting mindset - every single time a school like ASU is involved, we immediately bow out? Even if he didn't live right down the road (which he does), and PT wasn't available right away (which it is), why are they so "out of our league"? I know that they play in bigger conferences, but I think URI is perfect for this guy.
I don't know why they're out of our league, but it seems to be the case....top 50 types, anyway.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Why are we acting like we don't understand recruiting? Some kids just won't touch an A10 school, if we're being very honest. From the outside, you can see the benefits of finding the right match regardless of conference, but some players would rather play for a lesser team just to get the conference. This staff isn't afraid of getting in the mix with anybody, but recruiting is not a one-sided deal. These are just general thoughts, by the way, I don't know Kimani.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

But the conference didn't bother the kids Shaka was getting when he was in the A10.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

860_rhody wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

Creighton and Arizona State aren't his best offers. Xavier and Texas probably are his best offers and I'm sure some even better schools out there will still give him an offer. Also no one knows where the coaching staff is at with him right now. For all we know they could still be going after him or maybe they already know we're out of the running and don't want to waste the time/resources recruiting someone they know we won't get.

Also you have to realize we've only made 8 total ncaa tournament appearances, haven't made the tournament in 17 years and play in the a10. So maybe right now our team is similar to ASU and Creighton in skill but both those teams are historically better, bigger names in the college basketball world and play in better conferences.
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And I realize we're not at VCU's level. I'm still hoping to get there.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:But the conference didn't bother the kids Shaka was getting when he was in the A10.
It did, though. Of course he got great players, but there still were individual players who showed no interest because of the conference, which is my point. It's not an all or nothing thing. But for real, I honestly love how much time and emotion you devote to recruiting, even when it frustrates you.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think the Larrier kid who was there for Shaka's last year (and then transferred when he left) was his first 4 star recruit he ever got there. Shaka built VCU through player development around a system (Havoc) not by recruiting blue chip talent. And the woe is us bit is so lame. You'll miss 100% of the shots you dont take.
0 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

Make the NCAA tourney , stay ranked and keep Hurley and we will start getting some of these kids.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:I think the Larrier kid who was there for Shaka's last year (and then transferred when he left) was his first 4 star recruit he ever got there. Shaka built VCU through player development around a system (Havoc) not by recruiting blue chip talent. And the woe is us bit is so lame. You'll miss 100% of the shots you dont take.
https://www.vcuramnation.com/2015/09/wa ... -left-off/
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Larrier might have been the highest rated, but they had plenty of 4 star recruits.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

I think it's way too early to form any sort of opinion of this year's recruiting class.

Yes, several kids we were chasing have cut down their lists and we're not on them and a couple more have made verbals to other schools. All of that is frustrating, but we're still involved with several highly rated kids and recruiting is never, ever over. And remember, on paper, we're only recruiting for only 2 open spots with 11 returnees. Kids look at that as it impacts playing time.

As far as talent, forget rankings and stars for a moment, one thing we have come to learn is that this staff is excellent at finding, evaluating and recruiting talent to our roster.

When the dust settles on our 2017 class I have faith we'll be fine.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Surfri72 wrote:Make the NCAA tourney , stay ranked and keep Hurley and we will start getting some of these kids.
100% correct
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

VCUs success began with guys like Eric Maynor and Larry Sanders - 2 and 3 star recruits. According to that article Shaka had 1 top 100 recruit on his final four team. We currently have 4-5. Your point was still off base in pointing to VCU as this destination school for Top 100 kids when Shaka was there. Treveon Graham, Juvonte Reddic 2 and 3 star recruits. Jordan Burgess might have been his highest rated recruit in those early days - and he ended up being a role player. VCUs success is simple to explain - Capel, Grant, Smart, Wade. 4 great coaching hires in a row. Xavier has the same formula. Not built on recruiting great kids but recruiting great coaches - eventually they will get their players.
Last edited by bigappleram 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

We also may not be too panicked about any back court slots based on what I heard about Dowtin in summer drills. Apparently he was very impressive.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Capel and Grant both failed as "great coaches" after leaving VCU and going after huge contracts.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Who cares what their record was after VCU - for VCU they were great coaches and that was the point.

2009–2015 Shaka Smart 163–56 (.744) CAA/A-10: 74–30 (.712)
2006–2009 Anthony Grant 76–25 (.752) CAA: 45–9 (.833)
2002–2006 Jeff Capel 79–41 (.658) CAA: 50–22 (.694)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Sounds like Lawrence never really considered us. http://m.providencejournal.com/sports/2 ... in-college
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

"Asked about playing at URI, the 6-foot-6 Lawrence said, “I was a little interested. Jared Terrell played on my AAU team [Expressions], but they kind of faded away.' "

"They kind of faded away"? Is it possible we actually stopped recruiting him? I seriously doubt that...
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Could be a case where we prioritized players we thought we had a higher rate of success of landing. You can't actively recruit everybody.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea Shaka Smart basically gets credit for all of VCU's success but it was multiple coaches and rosters. We saw Maynor in the Ryan Center if I remember correctly. The year after he beat Duke.

3 star players are great. If your whole roster is 3 star guys and you have upperclassmen, then that is a NCAA tourney team or contender.

Most top 100 kids are there for athletic reasons or height and not their skill.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

I like how Kmac says that Swidder or however his name is spelled is a priority for PC. He is practically a PC boaster. He could be a priority for us as well but still wouldn't mention it.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Still blows my mind how we aren't a serious contender. We're a winning program (projected top 25), he'd play right away, and he lives right down the road. But yet, we dropped out of the race because Creighton, Pitt, and USC we're interested. Unless the kid is absolutely bent on playing in a P5 league, then I don't see the problem.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

860_rhody wrote:Still blows my mind how we aren't a serious contender. We're a winning program (projected top 25), he'd play right away, and he lives right down the road. But yet, we dropped out of the race because Creighton, Pitt, and USC we're interested. Unless the kid is absolutely bent on playing in a P5 league, then I don't see the problem.
Yep something missing on this story......URI or PC both good reasons to stay home.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Sometimes recruits just want to get away from home. It's not always an advantage to be a school close to his home.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramfan85 wrote:Sometimes recruits just want to get away from home. It's not always an advantage to be a school close to his home.
Seems like that issue is worse in RI because it's a smaller state. Everywhere is close to home compared to the rest of the country.
A lot of states are big enough where a kid will wanna leave they're hometown and end up at the other end of the state.
Like if you're somewhere in west Tennessee you can go to the University of Tennessee and be a good five hours from your hometown.

We just need the Cole Swider/Ricky Ledo kids to grow up die hard fans like us!

When was the last time we had a guy play for us that was a fan growing up?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote:
ramfan85 wrote:Sometimes recruits just want to get away from home. It's not always an advantage to be a school close to his home.
Seems like that issue is worse in RI because it's a smaller state. Everywhere is close to home compared to the rest of the country.
A lot of states are big enough where a kid will wanna leave they're hometown and end up at the other end of the state.
Like if you're somewhere in west Tennessee you can go to the University of Tennessee and be a good five hours from your hometown.

We just need the Cole Swider/Ricky Ledo kids to grow up die hard fans like us!

When was the last time we had a guy play for us that was a fan growing up?
The problem is that the local kids who are diehard fans are fans of PC. I think even Tommy Garrick came to URI because PC didn't want him. Was he the last RI kid that had big success at URI?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ricky Ledo was a die hard PC fan but never played a minute. He stayed in RI but never played in RI. Never came close to reaching his presumed potential. Never showed that he should have been considered a Top 50 ESPN player
Players in RI are going to prep schools now but not necessarily doing tremendously well there
I have seen most of these guys play:
Justin Mazzulla - saw play last year and this summer. Not as good as URIs top 5 guards. There is a reason he is hearing from Brown, Jacksonville State and Ohio University. Good player but this is not your Jim Baron URI team anymore. We are minimum Top 3 Atlantic 10 caliber and climbing - big difference in the DH era versus the JB era
Matt DeWolf - I have not seen this 6'8" kid play but he is hearing from Dartmouth, Colgate, Brown and Holy Cross - enuff said
Terrell Brown - Played much better this summer than when I saw him last summer. Still not among the top 5 big men we have in Martin, Iverson, Layssard, Tertsea ( with huge upside potential) Langevine
Kimani Lawrence - he tends to play outside at 6'6". I did not see him play overly physical. Only saw him twice. Surprised to see him rated as high as he is. Cooley was after Lawrence for several years, not sure if that attraction has "cooled" off or not (pardon the pun). Is he better than Martin? Mathews? not to my eyes
Swider - Saw this summer. Hard to judge as he is playing up with the 2017 Class in AAU with BABC. IF he improves at a good pace, even average pace, he could be quite good. Sometimes players play up such as 2018 Swider playing with the 2017 kids but they tend to be the same player the next year when they play with their own class. Will be interesting to watch Swider next summer in 2018 AAU - his own class. Not a real physical player, outside shooting is his specialty but he did not shoot it well when I have seen him.

The Murphy's have been talked about a lot. Being from South County it would have been the perfect match for them to play in their hometown. Problem was JB and the lack of success that JB brought to Kingston. If DH had been there things might have been much different.
Tomas Murphy was a top ranked player in 8th grade, 9th grade, 10th grade - being top 10 to top 30 but now has ended up top 250 to 350. Does not play a very physical style of play or rebound exceptionally well. Northeastern was a good choice. Close to home, good league but not too good.

Rhode Island is simply not a hot bed for Basketball talent. Best era was Marvin Barnes, Ernie DiGregorio and Joe Hassett.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Best era was Marvin Barnes, Ernie DiGregorio and Joe Hassett.

And they all went where?
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I don't blame these kids for being indifferent or disinterested in URI and I'm not surprised PC has more appeal either.

This recruiting class has never seen URI make the dance. All they know is losing. Meanwhile Cooley has PC rolling and will be a relevant program as long as he is there.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Barnes was from Central HS, DiGregorio from North Providence HS and Hassett went to LaSalle - all in Providence. In that era PC was far superior to URI. They were frequently nationally ranked.

My point is that the 5 players Kevin Mac names are not necessarily destined to be stars. Swider maybe, but he is only entering his JR year. Lawrence may surprise me but I think our current 3-guards are better then him.

How many Rhode Island players in the past 20 years would we actually think should have gone to URI?
Chris Herren for one, the Murphy brothers.......not many, RI just does not produce many

As for PC they are picked preseason to finish 9th in their conference. URI is pick by most all preseason polls to be Top 25 and as high as #15. Times have changed at least for this season.

Only Coaches to regularly recruit 3 star and above players at URI were Jack Kraft, Jim Harrick and Dan Hurley. 12 years of JB were rough and most frustrating was the brand new beautiful Ryan Center gifted by Jim Harrick's success at the helm.

We are involved with some very good players for the Class of 2017 and for 2018. The success of this year's team will help recruiting plus starting 5 players all juniors or seniors will indicate playing time is available.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Chris Herren is from Fall River. He stayed in state (BC), at least for a little while.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

As far as Baron goes, he got some good players. He just didn't know what to do with them.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

If the state of RI is starting to produce quality high school players with legit major Division One potential, then I would say it's certainly in URI's best interest to recruit those kids hard. Colleges tend to benefit when local players do well. Fans/alumni like to see it, local basketball aficionados like it, it leads to media buzz, and it can only help in recruiting the next big local product.

I took great pride in watching Tom Garrick and Jeff Kent at URI. (Doug Haynes and Steve Holland in football.) Those are great stories.
At BC, Billy Curley was a huge get. It was great to watch Dana Barros lead BC back in the day.
At UCONN, Chris Smith and Scott Burrell were the big gets early on in the Calhoun era.
At PC, the Projo hacks loved writing about Ken MacDonald, Abdul Abdullah, current coach Cooley, and of course the players of the early 70's.

If URI could become a consistent winner with a couple of local kids on their roster on yearly basis, what a story that would be.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:If the state of RI is starting to produce quality high school players with legit major Division One potential, then I would say it's certainly in URI's best interest to recruit those kids hard. Colleges tend to benefit when local players do well. Fans/alumni like to see it, local basketball aficionados like it, it leads to media buzz, and it can only help in recruiting the next big local product.

I took great pride in watching Tom Garrick and Jeff Kent at URI. (Doug Haynes and Steve Holland in football.) Those are great stories.
At BC, Billy Curley was a huge get. It was great to watch Dana Barros lead BC back in the day.
At UCONN, Chris Smith and Scott Burrell were the big gets early on in the Calhoun era.
At PC, the Projo hacks loved writing about Ken MacDonald, Abdul Abdullah, current coach Cooley, and of course the players of the early 70's.

If URI could become a consistent winner with a couple of local kids on their roster on yearly basis, what a story that would be.
Totally agree with this one. I'm kind of shocked.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ramster wrote:Ricky Ledo was a die hard PC fan but never played a minute. He stayed in RI but never played in RI. Never came close to reaching his presumed potential. Never showed that he should have been considered a Top 50 ESPN player
Players in RI are going to prep schools now but not necessarily doing tremendously well there
I have seen most of these guys play:
Justin Mazzulla - saw play last year and this summer. Not as good as URIs top 5 guards. There is a reason he is hearing from Brown, Jacksonville State and Ohio University. Good player but this is not your Jim Baron URI team anymore. We are minimum Top 3 Atlantic 10 caliber and climbing - big difference in the DH era versus the JB era
Matt DeWolf - I have not seen this 6'8" kid play but he is hearing from Dartmouth, Colgate, Brown and Holy Cross - enuff said
Terrell Brown - Played much better this summer than when I saw him last summer. Still not among the top 5 big men we have in Martin, Iverson, Layssard, Tertsea ( with huge upside potential) Langevine
Kimani Lawrence - he tends to play outside at 6'6". I did not see him play overly physical. Only saw him twice. Surprised to see him rated as high as he is. Cooley was after Lawrence for several years, not sure if that attraction has "cooled" off or not (pardon the pun). Is he better than Martin? Mathews? not to my eyes
Swider - Saw this summer. Hard to judge as he is playing up with the 2017 Class in AAU with BABC. IF he improves at a good pace, even average pace, he could be quite good. Sometimes players play up such as 2018 Swider playing with the 2017 kids but they tend to be the same player the next year when they play with their own class. Will be interesting to watch Swider next summer in 2018 AAU - his own class. Not a real physical player, outside shooting is his specialty but he did not shoot it well when I have seen him.

The Murphy's have been talked about a lot. Being from South County it would have been the perfect match for them to play in their hometown. Problem was JB and the lack of success that JB brought to Kingston. If DH had been there things might have been much different.
Tomas Murphy was a top ranked player in 8th grade, 9th grade, 10th grade - being top 10 to top 30 but now has ended up top 250 to 350. Does not play a very physical style of play or rebound exceptionally well. Northeastern was a good choice. Close to home, good league but not too good.

Rhode Island is simply not a hot bed for Basketball talent. Best era was Marvin Barnes, Ernie DiGregorio and Joe Hassett.
Thanks Ramster nice job in this thread.

So maybe the something missing in this story is these players just simply aren't good enough for where we anticipate going?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 3 star players are great. If your whole roster is 3 star guys and you have upperclassmen, then that is a NCAA tourney team or contender.
Is that necessarily true?
There are different sorts of 3 star players.
Depending on where you look, there are roughly 250 3-star players in every incoming recruiting class.
If you assume the Top 25 or so are 5 star, and the next 75 or so are 4 star, that means 3 star players can take you up to the 350th best players in the class.
So yes, if you consistently pluck among the better 3-star players, you can probably consistently stay at a high-level of performance with roster retention and staff development.
But if you are consistently recruiting between 300-350, you may luck into something, but you'll probably be challenged to pull consistent upper-end conference results.
Regardless of exceptions, the average results would indicate that you are probably better with player 1 than 50, 50 than 150, and 150 than 300.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Billyboy78 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:If the state of RI is starting to produce quality high school players with legit major Division One potential, then I would say it's certainly in URI's best interest to recruit those kids hard. Colleges tend to benefit when local players do well. Fans/alumni like to see it, local basketball aficionados like it, it leads to media buzz, and it can only help in recruiting the next big local product.

Totally agree with this one. I'm kind of shocked.
Maybe I'm not so predictable after all?
0 x