'17 MA PG Makai Ashton-Langford (UConn Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

'17 MA PG Makai Ashton-Langford (UConn Commit)

Unread post by bressler3south »

Makai Ashton-Langford - PG
School: Cushing Academy
Travel/AAU: Mass Rivals

Ht: 6'1''
Wt: 185

Rivals: 4-star, #43 Nat'l
ESPN:
247:
NERR:

OFFERS
Rhode Island
Boston College
Providence
St. Bonaventure

INTEREST

2016 PG Makai Ashton-Langford (6-0, 185, 2★) has received an offer from Rhode Island. - Per Chris Bradley, ESPN Boston

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/ma ... n-langford
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Re: 2016 Makai Ashton-Langford 6' PG

Some more news on "The Youngster," per ESPN BOSTON:

***Makai Ashton-Langford, a rising sophomore at St. Peter-Marian who has been playing AAU this summer with Mass Rivals, showed well after picking up his first Division 1 offer this past weekend from the University of Rhode Island. Still only 14 years old, he has an understanding of the game that is far beyond his years. Expect him to play a significant amount of minutes for St. Peter-Marian this coming year.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

PER NERR:
very talented! @BallasTV 2016 Makai ashton langford 360 & windmill dunk @ hoopmtn camp, 14 yrs old @FinkelsteinNERR http://t.co/FdecVa8IFB
1 day ago
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

- Incoming Cushing Academy 2017 guard Makai Ashton-Langford picked up an offer from Boston College on Wednesday. The Eagles join Providence and Rhode Island.
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... oundUp.php
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

4 years ago UConn had their pick of any player they wanted in the Northeast. Since then, they've won a national championship, yet their recruiting in the area has gotten significantly more difficult (still can get pretty much whoever they want). URI may be a piece or two away and has come in second more times than I would have liked, but it's crazy how quickly the recruiting scene in the Northeast has changed.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

BFC wrote:
- Incoming Cushing Academy 2017 guard Makai Ashton-Langford picked up an offer from Boston College on Wednesday. The Eagles join Providence and Rhode Island.
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... oundUp.php
I think with Cooley and now a competent staff up at BC, we can probably expect a lot of battles over the next three years where it is down to PC, BC, and URI. Terrell is the latest but not the last.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

One of Sharma's Mass Rivals teammates is an emerging class of 2017 point guard Makai Ashton-Langford. Make no mistake -- Ashton-Langford is a point guard, not a converted shooting guard. He makes good decisions with the ball, has good court vision and is a good passer -- including on the move.

"I'm good at getting into the lane and dishing out to three-point shooters," he said. "I have to tighten up my handle more and improve my shot."

The 6-foot-1, 165-pound rising sophomore also needs to get stronger, something he said his teammates are in his ear about.

"Playing up in age helps me a lot, playing against more developed kids than me," he said. "They're always telling me I have to get in the weight room and get a little bigger to compete and get in the paint with these guys."

Ashton-Langford listed offers from Rhode Island, Providence and Boston College.
https://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1644333
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Ashton-Langford reaching new levels

In five-star UConn bound point guard Jalen Adams, the Mass Rivals program had a guy that they could really rely on the past few years. Now that he's gone and ready to enroll in college, it looks like they have found a pretty good replacement in class of 2017 floor general Makai Ashton-Langford.

Currently ranked as the No. 43 player in the class of 2017, the 6-foot-1 four-star looked very good over the weekend. Notably, he has added some strength to his lean frame and he has increased his quickness and explosiveness around the rim.

Those physical improvements have allowed Ashton-Langford to develop into an excellent downhill point guard. He made it a habit of getting to the rim and he pushed the tempo as often as possible. He will need to continue to get stronger and has to get more confident with his jumper, but he backed up his lofty status and should see his recruitment start to pick up.

"We only lost one game by one point this weekend so that feels good," said Ashton-Langford. "I think that I played well. I was getting to the basket and I did a pretty good job of getting my teammates assists."

According to Ashton-Langford he has early scholarship offers from St. Bonaventure, Boston College, Providence and Rhode Island.
https://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1761254
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: '17 MA PG Makai Ashton-Langford (Offer)

Unread post by TruePoint »

Profile added.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Impressive.

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Wow, we've been on this kid for two years already.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Not that I can get hyped on 2017 kids, but
establishing an early and persistent relationship,
is very important.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The staff from what it seems, is doing a great job connecting with the 16's and even 17's.

The 15's?

Looks like we'll have more than 3 openings for the 16's.

I somehow doubt that Dan will fill all 3 openings for next season.....at this point anyway....
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I'm betting on one of the three going to a transfer.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

At least one, Rod. Another 5th year is likely too.

Maybe we'll get one 4 year, maybe not. Doesn't look like it right now though.

And then there is you-know-who still out there......I don't think he's coming back, but it might come down to desperation....
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I don't think we had been in the mix for this kid for quite some time now, but it's nice to see a solid player with a final two of UConn and PC decide not to go to the Friars.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/recr ... ut-huskies
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

As much as I dislike the friars and wish them ill (what the majority of their fans wish us) this highlights the difficulty in recruiting as a mid-major.....granted the big east is the best mid-major conference.....this happens to us with our recruits also....finishing 2nd in recruiting is a recipe for disaster....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I think I get what you're saying ramulous, but the irony here is that Ashton-Langford actually went to a lesser conference than the Big East by choosing UConn of the AAC.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cooley has been losing a lot of these recruiting battles the past 2 years for whatever reason
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

He chose a better program in a lesser conference instead of a lesser program in a better conference. I would do that 10/10 times.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree Rhody15. Plus PC is picked preseason as 9th in the 10 team conference.
UCONN is light years ahead of PC in recruiting circles
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '17 MA PG Makai Ashton-Langford (UConn Commit)

Unread post by sf2010 »

Agree 100%, I just made the comment because ramulous brought the conferences into the discussion, when this was actually the opposite situation from what usually occurs.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: '17 MA PG Makai Ashton-Langford (UConn Commit)

Unread post by Ramulous »

Ramulous still considers any conference without BCS football mid major....he doesn't care what others believe....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote:Cooley has been losing a lot of these recruiting battles the past 2 years for whatever reason
Fair enough but Cooley has done a good job with the roster and is already done with his 2017 with 2 four-star bigs to help fill out the frontcourt.
0 x